Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age: Origins Patch

A new patch for Dragon Age: Origins updates BioWare's RPG to version 1.05. The new version addresses an issue with some DirectX 10 graphics cards and replaces the game's EA Download Manager authentication system for the Ultimate Edition with the system used by the Origin service. The download can be found on The Patches Scrolls.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. removed Nov 27, 2011, 05:39 chenghan

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 27, 2011, 05:59.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Patch Nov 26, 2011, 17:28 StingingVelvet

Kastagir wrote on Nov 26, 2011, 16:07:
Over the last 7-8 years that has been standard procedure for games that have been out for a year or more, but it may not be possible considering how the DLC authentication system for DA:O was designed. Another failure for Bioware.

Do Steam titles get their DRM removed after they've been out for a while? I'm worried that as leading titles (e.g. FNV, Skyrim) have a Steam requirement at launch that we will never see the DRM relaxed as the games age when released on a service like Steam.

No, Steam has never been patched out as far as I know. A few games have had the Steam requirement removed for sale elsewhere, like Velvet Assassin on GamersGate, but I don't think it has ever been patched out. It's probably in the contract for Steamworks that the developer not do so, since Valve want you booting up Steam and seeing the store page as often as possible.

Bioware devs have said on their forums that they have patches ready to go to remove DRM from their titles should the company ever shut down. I'm not sure why they can't just release them now though, it's not like the DRM is doing anything but annoying paying customers.

Of course you could say that about most games on day one anyway.

17. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Patch Nov 26, 2011, 16:07 Kastagir

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 26, 2011, 15:02:
They should just be removing the DRM in general, rather than refining it. Same thing with Mass Effect, they released some DRM tweaks a couple years after the game came out... why? It was cracked literally years before. Just remove the DRM for your paying customers please.

Over the last 7-8 years that has been standard procedure for games that have been out for a year or more, but it may not be possible considering how the DLC authentication system for DA:O was designed. Another failure for Bioware.

Do Steam titles get their DRM removed after they've been out for a while? I'm worried that as leading titles (e.g. FNV, Skyrim) have a Steam requirement at launch that we will never see the DRM relaxed as the games age when released on a service like Steam.

16. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Patch Nov 26, 2011, 15:02 StingingVelvet

They should just be removing the DRM in general, rather than refining it. Same thing with Mass Effect, they released some DRM tweaks a couple years after the game came out... why? It was cracked literally years before. Just remove the DRM for your paying customers please.  

15. Re: Dragon Age Nov 26, 2011, 11:19 wtf_man

Prez wrote on Nov 26, 2011, 11:08:
space captain wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 22:49:
wow! humanity's spokesperson has arrived!

hey there humanity's spokesperson, i have a message for you: YOUR SPECIES IS PATHETIC

chew on that for a while, monkeys

The Mighty Zardoz has spoken!

...As he vomits guns out to the Exterminators!

14. Re: Dragon Age Nov 26, 2011, 11:08 Prez

space captain wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 22:49:

hey there humanity's spokesperson, i have a message for you: YOUR SPECIES IS PATHETIC

The Mighty Zardoz has spoken!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Patch Nov 26, 2011, 08:50 Numinar

wow, the two best RPG's of the last few years get a DRM related patch of uselessness within a week of each other. Awesome.

Skyrim ran better with the 4g patch before, but post patch I NEED it to go more than 5 minutes without a crash. Now I get one every 10 hours or so, STILL NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Big love though, both games. Good work everyone involved in making them, you complete me.

12. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Patch Nov 26, 2011, 08:38 SXO

There are still a sizeable number of bugs in the game which the mod community took it upon themselves to fix. The fixes are simple enough, but Bioware apparently could never be bothered to implement them.  

11. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Patch Nov 26, 2011, 05:09 Kajetan

Kastagir wrote on Nov 26, 2011, 02:15:
And more importantly, two years after the game was released, isn't it just too late?
Its never too late to fix a game. Maybe now Bioware can fix DA2?

10. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Patch Nov 26, 2011, 02:15 Kastagir

This "patch" took nearly 7 months to produce and fixes ZERO BUGS affecting gameplay. All it does is fix authentication issues that plagued the Ultimate Edition, presumably to make it a viable purchase. At the beginning of this patch "effort," a pair of Bioware people requested a list of the gameplay issues still plaguing the game. What are the odds that these never get addressed? And more importantly, two years after the game was released, isn't it just too late?  

9. Re: Dragon Age Nov 26, 2011, 00:20 nin

skyguy wrote on Nov 26, 2011, 00:09:
stop posting about hip hop anti lock braking systems space captain

Fixed.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: Dragon Age Nov 26, 2011, 00:09 skyguy

stop posting about hip hop anti lock braking systems space captain  

7. Re: Dragon Age Nov 25, 2011, 22:49 space captain

Go forth, and kill!

6. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Patch Nov 25, 2011, 22:44 captawe

space captain wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 21:57:
hey derek i heard this game sucks dick

just sayin

epic fail lol

omg

What an embarrassment to the human race. omg

5. removed Nov 25, 2011, 22:38 sbttop

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 26, 2011, 03:19.

4. removed Nov 25, 2011, 21:57 space captain

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 26, 2011, 16:27.

Go forth, and kill!

3. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Patch Nov 25, 2011, 19:06 Caladell

Yep, hit Steam too. Mine updated recently. Haven't tried it yet, but it appears that many people who have the Ultimate version are having serious issues.  

2. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Patch Nov 25, 2011, 18:46 Parallax Abstraction

So is this a patch that will go out to the Steam version as well?  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

1. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Patch Nov 25, 2011, 17:54  CrushBug 

...and replaces the game's EA Download Manager authentication system for the Ultimate Edition with the system used by the Origin service.

Sorry, that is not quite right. The 1.05 patch installer will fix a bug with the EA Download Manager delivered version of the game. This would only occur if you had purchased the game from the EA store before the Origin service was launched. We have had this patch in Beta for some time and customers have used the earlier versions to resolve this problem. This problem no longer occurs if you buy the game through the Origin store.

There have been no changes to the game's authentication system. The good news is that we have fixed a number of DLC authentication issues in the update.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo