Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

Though plans for a PC edition of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier was previously confirmed by Ubisoft, PC Gamer has word that the next installment in the Ghost Recon series is for consoles only, and that PC gamers will get Ghost Recon Online instead, which is apparently Ubisoft's new approach to PC piracy following their almost universally despised always-on DRM. Here's word from Ghost Recon Online producer Sébastien Arnoult:

We are giving away most of the content for free because there’s no barrier to entry. To the users that are traditionally playing the game by getting it through Pirate Bay, we said, ‘Okay, go ahead guys. This is what you’re asking for. We’ve listened to you – we’re giving you this experience. It’s easy to download, there’s no DRM that will pollute your experience.’

We’re adapting the offer to the PC market. I don’t like to compare PC and Xbox boxed products because they have a model on that platform that is clearly meant to be €60’s worth of super-Hollywood content. On PC, we’re adapting our model to the demand.

“When we started Ghost Recon Online we were thinking about Ghost Recon: Future Solider; having something ported in the classical way without any deep development, because we know that 95% of our consumers will pirate the game. So we said okay, we have to change our mind.

We have to adapt, we have to embrace this instead of pushing it away. That’s the main reflection behind Ghost Recon Online and the choice we’ve made to go in this direction.

View
173 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

93. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 08:22 shponglefan

KilrathiAce wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 13:49:
Ahh yes UBI is blind to the fact their games suck more often than not, and thats the reason why they do not sell well.

If their games sucked so bad, people wouldn't pirate them either. They just wouldn't play them at all. The "games suck" = "poor sales/high piracy" meme has to die. Their games, on average, are decent; on par with most other companies' offerings.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

92. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 08:22 Elim

How sad, we won't get a dumbed down console shit game.
R.I.P. Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six.

91. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 08:20 shponglefan

WoodroweBones19 wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 23:45:
I've "pirated" other games that didnt provide demos and if I found they were worth it I bought them as I'm betting the majority of that 95% do.

I highly doubt that. I bet most people pirate for the same reason they pirate anything: to avoid paying real money.

90. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 08:18 shponglefan

It wouldn't surprise me if 95% of copies were in fact pirated. Didn't the World of Goo creator release stats that ~90% or so copies of his game were pirated? I dunno why people are getting their panties in a knot over that.  

89. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 07:33 Dades

This is also wrong. There will of course be a torrent available (and very likely before release day); it will just be for the console version instead.

Yep, most people I know own at least one console in addition to a PC.

88. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 07:22 Prez

The insinuation that there's no harm done because so many (claim they) wouldn't have bought the game anyway is one that I continue to find amusing. You know it's still wrong and that you're just contributing to the biggest problem facing the PC platform, don't you?

I can't tell if you are just trolling or not Ventura (so kudos to you for that if you actually are ), but I'm going to assume you aren't and respond to this since it contains the biggest flaw in your way of thinking. Moreover, it's a widespread myth that needs to die. Namely, the "PC Piracy is the biggest problem with PC gaming" fallacy. This is simply demonstrably false. There haven't been many games that avoided being cracked for very long, but there have been several that have. I'll use "Splinter Cell Chaos Theory", a game that avoided being cracked for over a year, which is pretty rare. I use it because it was a multiplatform release, and it was highly rated and universally lauded by the press and gamers alike. If any of what you say were true, because the game remained uncrackable for so long, then it would stand to reason that sales on PC would have been much closer to those of the X-Box. I mean, piracy was virtually eliminated in this case, so people who wanted to play it would have had no choice but to buy it, right? And yet, Ubisoft's earning statements from that year showed very little difference in the historical sales percentage breakdown between consoles and PC. The X-Box still outsold the PC version by the same ratio ( I'm unable to find the data as it is a bit old, but this shouldn't be too much of a surprise at any rate.) that every other game exhibited. In my view this pretty clearly illustrates your claims as patently false. Piracy played no role whatsoever, and the PC version was outsold by a large margin.

The biggest problem facing PC gaming is consoles. For various reasons, the majority of gamers choose to game on consoles, and there's plenty of anecdotal evidence proving that a large portion of PC piracy is performed by console gamers who download the PC version's torrent because they feel they're entitled to do so because they already paid for the game on consoles.

I wonder how many around here are only pissed because it means there'll be no torrent to pick up come release day.

This is also wrong. There will of course be a torrent available (and very likely before release day); it will just be for the console version instead.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

87. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 07:12 Dades

Considering the PC platform has been all-but-abandoned by the big-budget studios, I would wager their sales numbers would strongly disagree with that one.

Gaming development is multiplatform these days due to dev costs, not platform piracy. I find more to play each year on the PC, in fact things have gotten considerably better since the advent of digital distribution services.

86. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 06:57 InBlack

Ventura wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 05:09:
In this day and age, where games are like 10gig a pop, the "I can't afford it" pirates do amuse me. Can't afford to buy the games, but high-speed internet with no bandwidth caps, yeah they've got the money for that.

Erm no. Actually I partly agree with the first part of your post, there is no reason to buy a game youve already pirated unless it adds some functuality that is missing in the pirated version. Unless you want to reward the developer. I was wondering what the top sentence means, specifically the 10gig a pop part?? Flat rate internet is dirt cheap, and why would you condescendingly sneer on someone who downloads games and has no money??

I dont pirate games, but I used to buy them on discs from pirates when I was a kid (thats right, before piratebay) and used to play a shitload of them because I had time to waste and very little money. I guess you would incarcarate that 14 year old with serial rapists and murderers wouldnt you?

These days I buy all of my games, since there are so few really good ones to choose from that are worth buying and I want to reward the developers who go out of their way to develop a good game in this day and age of the quick "gaming" buck, I find that very easy and quite cheap.

Most of the games I do buy usually have some sort of mulitplayer component which is usually busted or non-existant in the pirated version. An exception to that is Skyrim. And that game sold 7 million copies so far. Not bad for a "single-player" game.

I guess what Im saying is that Im sick of asshole developers laying all the blame on PC pirates (as if console pirates were non existant) and even more sick of ignorant assholes equating piracy with theft.

I have a nifty blue line!

85. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 06:33 Jerykk

Yeah, right. Whether or not a pirate is really enjoying a game he's just downloaded and installed is a mute point, because I don't for a second believe that anywhere near a significant number of them will then go and buy it as a consequence. Not when it's something they technically already own.

Technically, they don't actually own it. Ownership is a legal term. They simply possess it. In any case, I agree that most people won't buy something they already have. The question is whether or not pirates would have bought what they have had it not be freely available. I'd say no. People are cheap. They are also lazy. If you make the official product more convenient than the pirated one, people are more likely to buy the official one. However, publishers are forcing legitimate customers to deal with CD-keys, online activations, limited installs, constant internet connection requirements, etc. Meanwhile, pirates don't have to deal with any of that. Publishers will never beat pirates when it comes to pricing but they can beat them when it comes to convenience. Just look at the success of Steam. Ubisoft needs to learn that treating customers like thieves isn't going to increase their sales.

84. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 05:44 Ventura

InBlack wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 05:27:
I thought we killed that high horse ages ago Ventura??

What's amusing is that you proceeded to say nothing to counter my point of view. Just a whole load of crap about how you think I've crossed the line, which leads me to believe that I've hit the nail just a tad too close to the head for your liking.

83. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 05:27 InBlack

I thought we killed that high horse ages ago Ventura??

In this day and age, where games are like 10gig a pop, the "I can't afford it" pirates do amuse me

What the hell does that even mean? Saying that 95% of PC Gamers are pirates is what this topic is about, to me thats fucking crossing the line. I mean its not even a real insult, its either ignorance or its some ridiculous attempt to please the executives at Ubisoft.

I can see no other reason why a rational person would spew that much bullshit other than to suck up to the money men in suits..

82. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 05:09 Ventura

Jerykk wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 04:40:
Isn't that somewhat contradictory? If they felt a game was worth buying, they'd buy it. Obviously they don't feel it is worth buying if they don't buy it. I think it's much safer to assume that most pirates are very cheap and/or don't have the means to buy every game they pirate.

Yeah, right. Whether or not a pirate is really enjoying a game he's just downloaded and installed is a mute point, because I don't for a second believe that anywhere near a significant number of them will then go and buy it as a consequence. Not when it's something they technically already own.

In this day and age, where games are like 10gig a pop, the "I can't afford it" pirates do amuse me. Can't afford to buy the games, but high-speed internet with no bandwidth caps, yeah they've got the money for that.

81. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 04:40 Jerykk

There's no way anywhere near the majority of pirates are buying titles they feel are worth it. Sorry, not a chance.

Isn't that somewhat contradictory? If they felt a game was worth buying, they'd buy it. Obviously they don't feel it is worth buying if they don't buy it. I think it's much safer to assume that most pirates are very cheap and/or don't have the means to buy every game new. This means they'd either wait until games hit the bargain bin. Or buy Steam keys from Russia or Thailand. Or buy used copies from eBay. Or become a console gamer and rent games. Or buy used games from GameStop. There are many ways other than piracy to play games without giving developers any money.

80. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 04:18 Ventura

I've "pirated" other games that didnt provide demos and if I found they were worth it I bought them as I'm betting the majority of that 95% do.

Considering the PC platform has been all-but-abandoned by the big-budget studios, I would wager their sales numbers would strongly disagree with that one.

There's no way anywhere near the majority of pirates are buying titles they feel are worth it. Sorry, not a chance.

UBI is banking on doing most of their sales with hype/ads and not on game content which is why they are so concerned with piracy.

The thought occurs that, these days, hype is as good at selling a game as that game's actual content. Skyrim sold respectably on the PC, which is saying something, and I don't think it did so because people were watching gameplay videos and reading reviews. It's the hype that did it.

Granted, hype is far from always being a good thing though. Duke Forever is proof of that one. But it's not always a bad thing either. Sometimes it's deserved, other times it's not.

79. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 03:59 SectorEffector

I am by no means saying that of that supposed 95% none would have bought the game anyway. I'm saying that the impact is VASTLY smaller than they make it seem. I very much support games that I believe are worth the money. League of Legends... game is free to play but I purposely bought content solely for the purpose of supporting a game I felt was worth the money. I've "pirated" other games that didnt provide demos and if I found they were worth it I bought them as I'm betting the majority of that 95% do.

Fact is if you produce a solid game people buy it. UBI is banking on doing most of their sales with hype/ads and not on game content which is why they are so concerned with piracy.

BINGO, Couldn't have put it better myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

78. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 03:56 InBlack

Space Captain you losing your mojo or what? These trolling attempts are so much weaker than what were used to, common man you can do better than that!  

77. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 01:06 space captain

selection7 wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 00:15:
Stating "well I wouldn't buy from you anyway" is like saying you can't fire me, I quit. Meaningless to the company who's firing you, 'cause either way you're gone.

but very meaningful to the impotent peons in terms of pacifying their wounded egos, helping them sleep at night, and so on

Go forth, and kill!

76. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 00:15 selection7

Regardless of everyone's salient points, you still have to accept that they don't want your money. We know this because they're refusing to sell it to you. Stating "well I wouldn't buy from you anyway" is like saying you can't fire me, I quit. Meaningless to the company who's firing you, 'cause either way you're gone.

Also, can people stop stating for 5 millionth time that 1 pirated game doesn't equal 1 lost sale. You're not educating anyone. At least not on this website. The game company knew this full well and still chose not to make a single-player PC game. Faulty reasoning may have led to the decision, but it wasn't done simply to annoy you, it was a money decision. That this guy's frank dialog made him seem irritated is not one of the more important things to take away from this news posting, yet it's what 80% of these replies want to comment on.

75. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 23:45 WoodroweBones19

I am by no means saying that of that supposed 95% none would have bought the game anyway. I'm saying that the impact is VASTLY smaller than they make it seem. I very much support games that I believe are worth the money. League of Legends... game is free to play but I purposely bought content solely for the purpose of supporting a game I felt was worth the money. I've "pirated" other games that didnt provide demos and if I found they were worth it I bought them as I'm betting the majority of that 95% do.

Fact is if you produce a solid game people buy it. UBI is banking on doing most of their sales with hype/ads and not on game content which is why they are so concerned with piracy.

74. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 23:32 Ventura

If 95% of people on PC are pirating your game it means your game has now seen an audience 20 times larger than it would have without piracy.

The insinuation that there's no harm done because so many (claim they) wouldn't have bought the game anyway is one that I continue to find amusing. You know it's still wrong and that you're just contributing to the biggest problem facing the PC platform, don't you?

I mean, am I the only one who wants to play his FPS's with a mouse? Tell me I'm not. Seems like everyone here just wants to give Ubisoft the finger, and I wonder how many around here are only pissed because it means there'll be no torrent to pick up come release day.

173 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo