Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

Though plans for a PC edition of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier was previously confirmed by Ubisoft, PC Gamer has word that the next installment in the Ghost Recon series is for consoles only, and that PC gamers will get Ghost Recon Online instead, which is apparently Ubisoft's new approach to PC piracy following their almost universally despised always-on DRM. Here's word from Ghost Recon Online producer Sébastien Arnoult:

We are giving away most of the content for free because there’s no barrier to entry. To the users that are traditionally playing the game by getting it through Pirate Bay, we said, ‘Okay, go ahead guys. This is what you’re asking for. We’ve listened to you – we’re giving you this experience. It’s easy to download, there’s no DRM that will pollute your experience.’

We’re adapting the offer to the PC market. I don’t like to compare PC and Xbox boxed products because they have a model on that platform that is clearly meant to be €60’s worth of super-Hollywood content. On PC, we’re adapting our model to the demand.

“When we started Ghost Recon Online we were thinking about Ghost Recon: Future Solider; having something ported in the classical way without any deep development, because we know that 95% of our consumers will pirate the game. So we said okay, we have to change our mind.

We have to adapt, we have to embrace this instead of pushing it away. That’s the main reflection behind Ghost Recon Online and the choice we’ve made to go in this direction.

View
173 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

13. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 14:04 WoodroweBones19

Wow... 95% of "their consumers" pirate the game. That is absolute crap. Hell even if 95% of people who have the game pirated it (which I highly doubt) thats 15 times more people than were going to play it in the first place. Now instead of "pirating" and actually playing your game (which can quite often lead to actual sales) they just wont play it at all.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 14:03 Halo

They're not consumers if they pirate your game.  

11. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 13:55 theyarecomingforyou

I'm sorry, I didn't realise that this series was still going. Heck, I don't even know the difference between all the Tom Clancy games they've released - I couldn't even tell you if they're first or third person. The last game I bought was Vegas 2, which was alright - it just wasn't anywhere near as good as the original Rainbow 6. I think I picked up Splinter Cell: Conviction on sale but haven't played it yet.

As for this announcement... seriously?! Do they really have no idea what they're doing wrong? I'll give you a clue, Ubisoft... it involves adding draconian DRM and then telling PC gamers that they're thieves. For the sake of this argument we'll ignore the fact that all your games are dumbed down for consoles and are shit.

Please, just don't fuck up Far Cry 3. Please.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

10. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 13:50 DangerDog

€60’s worth

lol, the euro is dead and so is Ubisoft.

9. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 13:49 KilrathiAce

Ahh yes UBI is blind to the fact their games suck more often than not, and thats the reason why they do not sell well. Further, UBI has terrible record in post release support of their games. They abandon games fast, and so why are they suprised heh.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

8. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 13:46 Verno

I still have like 4 copies of the original Ghost Recon that we bought for lan parties Such a great franchise ruined by the emergence of microsoft funbux audience and publishers who'd rather chase it than create compelling value for their products.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

7. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 13:40 Cutter

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Yeah, Ubisoft. It's not your shitty games or DRm that are the problem, it's PC gamers. Rolleyes

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 13:32 WarpCrow

Another pay2win online multiplayer game? lolnothx

As a PC gamer/pirate who has this month bought two copies of Saints Row 3, two copies of Skyrim, and a copy of Anno 2070 (oddly enough an Ubisoft game that has no problem being PC exclusive) along with various indie bits and bobs, I'll have to say I'm perfectly happy with my money going elsewhere instead. =)

5. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 13:31 Brumbek

What pathetic drivel from this fool. Way to insult your entire audience. And there's a reason other dev's don't mention methods of piracy by name...what a fool.  

4. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 13:26 Wallshadows

If someone would have told me this, like, ten years ago that there would be no PC version of R6, I would have laughed at them and punch them in the face with a rabid badger.

This won't go over well, but they'll do it anyway.

Then again, after seeing what they have been doing to it over the past several years, I guess the next step to water it down further is to make it console-only.

3. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 13:21 Verno

95% piracy rate, oh boy. Well trolled.

No problem Ubisoft, I'll spend my money with another publisher. They've been fucking PC-centric franchises for years anyway.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

2. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 13:21 Viper114

95%? Really? A bit of a stretch there, even with the DRM that was used previously.  

1. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 13:13 Rattlehead

Here my adaptation!
........................./´¯/)
......................,/¯..//
...................../..../ /
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´(..´......,~/'...')
.........\.................\/..../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\

When you start making products worth money, people will buy it.

173 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo