Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

Though plans for a PC edition of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier was previously confirmed by Ubisoft, PC Gamer has word that the next installment in the Ghost Recon series is for consoles only, and that PC gamers will get Ghost Recon Online instead, which is apparently Ubisoft's new approach to PC piracy following their almost universally despised always-on DRM. Here's word from Ghost Recon Online producer Sébastien Arnoult:

We are giving away most of the content for free because there’s no barrier to entry. To the users that are traditionally playing the game by getting it through Pirate Bay, we said, ‘Okay, go ahead guys. This is what you’re asking for. We’ve listened to you – we’re giving you this experience. It’s easy to download, there’s no DRM that will pollute your experience.’

We’re adapting the offer to the PC market. I don’t like to compare PC and Xbox boxed products because they have a model on that platform that is clearly meant to be €60’s worth of super-Hollywood content. On PC, we’re adapting our model to the demand.

“When we started Ghost Recon Online we were thinking about Ghost Recon: Future Solider; having something ported in the classical way without any deep development, because we know that 95% of our consumers will pirate the game. So we said okay, we have to change our mind.

We have to adapt, we have to embrace this instead of pushing it away. That’s the main reflection behind Ghost Recon Online and the choice we’ve made to go in this direction.

View
173 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

33. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 16:45 Mashiki Amiketo

Verno wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 16:37:
Absolutely but likewise it means that just because something is pirated does not mean it can't be financially successful. Piracy is not really conclusive evidence of anything by itself.
Something that's pirated is often more successful. That is unless people feel that the company is treating them like dirt, then it can be as much as a statement. Besides, we can take stock in the what? 100 or so studies that show those filthy pirates buy more than non-pirates.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 16:43 DonJuan

Verno wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 16:37:

Absolutely but likewise it means that just because something is pirated does not mean it can't be financially successful. Piracy is not really conclusive evidence of anything by itself.

In my opinion, the fact that I only get a few good single-player games every year is proof indeed.

31. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 16:39 DonJuan

I'm not praising them as much as pointing out that other game companies are saying the exact same thing by their actions. Feel free to rebut the Half Life/Diablo 3 part of my comment.  

30. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 16:37 Verno

DonJuan wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 16:35:
Ubisoft is so courageous, way to tell it like it is. Single player games are dead, who is going to buy those when they could pirate them? Just look at Skyrim...oh wait a second.

Bravo. But I bet that the biggest single-player-only PC game in years will not break 2 million in PC sales.

Be specific or stop throwing out figures without sources.

Just because Skyrim is selling well doesn't mean it isn't equally getting pirated billion-fold

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

29. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 16:37 CJ_Parker

Verno wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 16:12:
Single player games are dead, who is going to buy those when they could pirate them? Just look at Skyrim...oh wait a second.

Just because Skyrim is selling well doesn't mean it isn't equally getting pirated billion-fold. And I'm sure that Beth isn't exactly happy about that development, in spite of the success of the franchise.

28. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 16:35 DonJuan

Ubisoft is so courageous, way to tell it like it is. Single player games are dead, who is going to buy those when they could pirate them? Just look at Skyrim...oh wait a second.

Bravo. But I bet that the biggest single-player-only PC game in years will not break 2 million in PC sales. Pretty pathetic, considering how many discrete PC graphics cards are sold every year (16.5 million)

27. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 16:34 Mashiki Amiketo

DonJuan wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 16:06:
I gotta hand it to Ubisoft, though, they have the guts to say what almost every other single-player PC game company is thinking.
So what's the hourly rate of pay to be a shill these days anyway?

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

26. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 16:12 Verno

I gotta hand it to Ubisoft, though, they have the guts to say what almost every other single-player PC game company is thinking. Why else would Diablo III be online only? Why no half life 3? Nobody can seriously think that they are actually working on a single-player Half-Life still, eh?

25. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 16:06 DonJuan

I gotta hand it to Ubisoft, though, they have the guts to say what almost every other single-player PC game company is thinking. Why else would Diablo III be online only? Why no half life 3? Nobody can seriously think that they are actually working on a single-player Half-Life still, eh?  

24. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 15:57 CJ_Parker

the_culture wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 15:22:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33
4GB RAM
Radeon 470 512MB
W7 64-bit

Wots a "Radeon 470"? You mean a 4750, right? As for upgrading you need to replace everything but the main priority should be a decent mobo (Asus P8-something/Asrock equivalent) and a gamer quad core CPU like the i5-2500K which you will then want to overclock to run at 4+GHz. Asus boards ship with automatic overclocking capabilities and tools so as long as you have sufficient air cooling then 4+GHz is very easily achieved.
Next you should definitely upgrade your GPU to something like a GeForce 560/560Ti.
Then while RAM is as dirt cheap as it is nowadays get a nice 8GB kit. Like Corsair Vengeance PC-1600 with 8-8-8-24 timings at 1.5V. Amazing high performance memory with a lifetime warranty and very affordable at the moment.

That ought to be your upgrade path for the next couple of months. ATI and nVidia will be launching their 7xxx/6xx series early next year which is just a few weeks from now so you might maybe even want to wait for ATI's 7850 or nVidia's 660Ti/670 before upgrading your GPU.

23. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 15:54 Marvin T. Martian

the_culture wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 15:22:
Well, I'm going to hijack this thread real quick, since most of us are PC gamers. I'm looking to upgrade my system:

4GB RAM
Radeon 470 512MB
W7 64-bit

Should I should upgrade CPU/mobo and stay with my card, or replace the video and keep the CPU/mobo for now? I'm looking to spend $300-350 for the CPU/mobo combo, or $250-ish for a card. Any recommendations?

I can run Skyrim at 1920x1080 on High pretty good but with AA/AF turned off and a few ini tweaks.

There are tons of other places to ask this instead of being a troll and going off topic.

I should have just copied and pasted the 1st reply here.

Back to the original--UBI ruined this franchise a long time ago, and many others as well. They should just get out of the PC business altogether.

22. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 15:45 Verno

Well, I'm going to hijack this thread real quick, since most of us are PC gamers. I'm looking to upgrade my system:

4GB RAM
Radeon 470 512MB
W7 64-bit

Should I should upgrade CPU/mobo and stay with my card, or replace the video and keep the CPU/mobo for now? I'm looking to spend $300-350 for the CPU/mobo combo, or $250-ish for a card. Any recommendations?

I can run Skyrim at 1920x1080 on High pretty good but with AA/AF turned off and a few ini tweaks.

I'm not sure how much use Skyrim makes of 4 cores but you're probably CPU bound in other games anyway so really it all should be upgraded. You can spend less than $200 on the card easily, a Radeon 6870 or a GeForce 560 Ti (tons of rebates on these usually). I'd get any decent LGA1155 mobo, I like Asus boards but Gigabyte has good entry level stuff for like $100ish. CPU is without a doubt the Core i5-2500k. You can probably squeeze all three in if you just save for a month, it's the smarter upgrade IMO. If you want to do it in pieces then get the videocard first then the others afterward.

21. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 15:43 Mashiki Amiketo

Beelzebud wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 15:01:
I'm 100% sure I won't play any Ubisoft games (free, paid, or pirated), for the rest of my life.
Kinda sad huh? I always liked the settlers series, but I still haven't gotten the last one because of the DRM.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

20. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 15:22 the_culture

4GB RAM
Radeon 470 512MB
W7 64-bit

19. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 15:01 Beelzebud

I'm 100% sure I won't play any Ubisoft games (free, paid, or pirated), for the rest of my life.  

18. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 14:54 ASeven

Well, this is a gigantic contradiction on the part of Ubisoft. First, they are the publisher that publishes the biggest amount of PC-exclusive titles yet they claim 95% of PC gamers are pirates. If so, why keep publishing PC exclusives then?

Then we have Ubisoft who said that their new DRM would stop piracy forever and now they are admitting their DRM has failed by stating the 95% figure.

After this I honestly can't think of any reason why any PC gamer would still want to support them, considering they consider us criminals from the get go.

17. the bottle is so very close at hand Nov 24, 2011, 14:47 space captain

addressing an international corporation as if it is one person you can talk to directly, here in a comment thread about a press release...

it seems infantile at best.. IMO an unsurprising result from stunted minds seeking petrification

Go forth, and kill!

16. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 14:16 Sacrifex

I hope you can see me not buying your games, because I'm doing it as hard as I can.

I'd give a rabid pitbull a handjob in front of my grandma before I'd give a single cent to Ubi, or anyone else practicing their special form of customer service.

15. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 14:10 Quboid

Our customers don't like being treated like criminals?

Well, we never wanted those customers anyway.

- Quboid

14. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 14:09 Aero

While I applaud them finally figuring out the way to deal with a problem like piracy is to find a way to adapt to it, it's probably going to be a while before they actually figure out how since the obvious, quality games at reasonable prices, isn't something a company like Ubisoft would consider.

They're going to need a new excuse though, when their online game that cannot be pirated fails anyways (though if you give me something worth paying a monthly fee for, I'll gladly do that).

173 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo