Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

Though plans for a PC edition of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier was previously confirmed by Ubisoft, PC Gamer has word that the next installment in the Ghost Recon series is for consoles only, and that PC gamers will get Ghost Recon Online instead, which is apparently Ubisoft's new approach to PC piracy following their almost universally despised always-on DRM. Here's word from Ghost Recon Online producer Sébastien Arnoult:

We are giving away most of the content for free because there’s no barrier to entry. To the users that are traditionally playing the game by getting it through Pirate Bay, we said, ‘Okay, go ahead guys. This is what you’re asking for. We’ve listened to you – we’re giving you this experience. It’s easy to download, there’s no DRM that will pollute your experience.’

We’re adapting the offer to the PC market. I don’t like to compare PC and Xbox boxed products because they have a model on that platform that is clearly meant to be €60’s worth of super-Hollywood content. On PC, we’re adapting our model to the demand.

“When we started Ghost Recon Online we were thinking about Ghost Recon: Future Solider; having something ported in the classical way without any deep development, because we know that 95% of our consumers will pirate the game. So we said okay, we have to change our mind.

We have to adapt, we have to embrace this instead of pushing it away. That’s the main reflection behind Ghost Recon Online and the choice we’ve made to go in this direction.

View
173 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

73. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 23:12 Mashiki Amiketo

zirik wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 22:43:
arnoult certainly can troll hard. telling PC gamers that games on the console have super hollywood content. all they do is put more cut scenes that take out player interactivity but still call it a video game.
I believe those are called "consoles".

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

72. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 23:03 eunichron

A friend of mine gifted me Might and Magic Heroes VI a couple months ago.

I never installed it.

That is what I think of UbiSoft.

[EDIT]
Rather, I should say that the reason I haven't installed it is not because I do not want to play the game, I do, very much, but I refuse to install it because of their shitty and intrusive DRM.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2011, 23:14.

71. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 22:53 PHJF

Piracy (threads) are killing PC gaming (forums).  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

70. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 22:43 zirik

arnoult certainly can troll hard. telling PC gamers that games on the console have super hollywood content. all they do is put more cut scenes that take out player interactivity but still call it a video game.  

69. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 22:38 WoodroweBones19

I'm confused about the people defending UBI on this one.

First off as someone else mentioned 1 pirate DOES NOT equal 1 lost sale. In fact there are cases where Piracy has actually had a positive effect on sales (people who never would have paid for the game play it and then go out and buy it legit). Look at music. Same thing happened. People downloaded music like crazy but sales went up.

Also if those figures dont include digital sales I almost assure you there are far more digital sales than retail nowadays. I cant remember the last time I went a bought a boxed copy of a game... Steam/Origin/Impulse, etc. are very popular.

If 95% of people on PC are pirating your game it means your game has now seen an audience 20 times larger than it would have without piracy.

68. Re: Sour Grapes Nov 24, 2011, 22:35 bigspender

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 21:56:
Kawlisse wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 20:57:
but that is impossible to prove, of course, because there's no way to get any hard data on other methods than torrenting.

so everything you just said is irrelevant since you can't prove it either way.

67. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 22:33 bigspender

Endo wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 22:01:
Honestly, I'd think by this point most true PC gamers would be ignoring Ubisoft entirely as they're pretty much irrelevant. I know I am. If this bit of "news" hadn't been posted here on Blues I never would have known it happened. I certainly don't care either way.

+1

Last good(probably only) Ubisoft game I played was Prince of Persia Sand of Time

66. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 22:29 crypto

the_culture wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 15:22:
Intel...
no, no, no do me! do me!

CPU: Cell Processor

PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7 x SPE @3.2GHz
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU: RSX @550MHz
1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz
BD-Video: BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

65. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 22:01 Endo

Honestly, I'd think by this point most true PC gamers would be ignoring Ubisoft entirely as they're pretty much irrelevant. I know I am. If this bit of "news" hadn't been posted here on Blues I never would have known it happened. I certainly don't care either way.  

64. Re: Sour Grapes Nov 24, 2011, 21:56 CJ_Parker

Kawlisse wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 20:57:
You can easily make numbers say what ever you want. Black Ops 5.2 million pirated copies versus 25 million sales Worldwide we are very far away from the 95% piracy rate!!! would'nt you say ?

No, I wouldn't. These CoD: BO stats are just the numbers grabbed from torrent trackers and as I said torrents aren't exactly popular anymore among pirates due to the security and detection risks.
These stats naturally do not include the much more popular (at least among PC pirates) methods like usenet, file sharing services, file hosting services, FTPs, KAD/eMule or any of that kind of stuff.
It also does not account for the number of times that a download gets multiplied by good old fashioned copying and pasting the downloaded image to storage media of any kind or the distribution over private and public networks. A single person might download the file but an infinite number could be leeching off of it basically.

All of the piracy combined, yes, I'm sure we'd easily surpass the 25 million sales but that is impossible to prove, of course, because there's no way to get any hard data on other methods than torrenting.

63. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 21:53 Prez

How sad - Ubisoft designers have regressed to the point of making spiteful press releases that sound like tantrums by petulant children, complete with nonsensical, baseless claims. 95%, huh? Just when you think they can't get any more stupid...  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

62. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 21:44 Ozmodan

They always exaggerate the piracy numbers to the nth degree. What are they going to do when consoles become obsolete? It is only a matter of time, I even think the next generation of consoles will be too late to the table.  

61. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 21:31 Jerykk

Ahh, but how many of the 25 million sales of Black Ops were on the PC platform? That's the question.

Ideally, none. I'd like to think that PC gamers are more discerning than that. However, it wouldn't surprise me if there were more pirated copies than sold copies. That said, when you consider that the SP campaign only lasts about 4 hours and that MP is the primary draw of the series (pirated copies can't play online anyway), how many of those pirated copies would have otherwise been $60 sales? That's the important question.

60. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 21:15 Ventura

I don't know many people in my day to day life who still buy retail unless they have no other option. Digital might be equal, or it might be more.

In all fairness, my retail purchase was probably just because I live in Australia, and if you pay Steam's prices out here, you have more money than sense. I saved $37 taking advantage of a good store's pre-order offer.

MW3 is most certainly aimed at a console audience, and nobody with any sense disputes that.

My point is that it's not deliberate. They're just going where the money is, and that happens to be with the consoles. When 96% of your customers either buy on the 360 or the PS3, that's who you cater to. I bought the game on the PC, and I hate that as a platform it will likely see a lot less support, but from a business sense I can completely understand it.

You can easily make numbers say what ever you want. Black Ops 5.2 million pirated copies versus 25 million sales Worldwide we are very far away from the 95% piracy rate!!! would'nt you say ?

Ahh, but how many of the 25 million sales of Black Ops were on the PC platform? That's the question.

59. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 21:10 Blackhawk

You know, before I was going to avoid it because of the direction they took.

Now I'm going to avoid it because their idea PR is to talk to me like an arrogant, condescending dickhead.

Here's an alternative that works for everyone, Ubi:

We're tired of being treated like the crap you scraped off your shoe. You don't want the PC market anymore, and we don't want you.

Leave us alone, and make shelf space for something that hasn't been spit on.

58. Re: Sour Grapes Nov 24, 2011, 20:57 Kawlisse

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 18:44:
WaltC wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 17:56:
Secondly, and this is a big bugaboo here, console piracy is actually rampant. Just Google or Bing "xBox360 piracy," for starters. Contrary to popular uninformed opinion, piracy is not just restricted to PCs.

No one ever said anything about "restricted" but the VAST majority of piracy is definitely happening on the PC:

TorrentFreak Stats 2008
TorrentFreak Stats 2009
TorrentFreak Stats 2010

Well, and since torrenting has really gone out of fashion I don't even want to know what the numbers look like if we were able to include file sharing services or usenet and the like that the more technically inclined PC pirates have turned to for the most part. That 95% figure all of a sudden sounds mighty realistic to me.

57. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 20:14 Trevellian

Dear Ubisoft. Go Fuck yourself.

I was fully prepaired to buy a PC copy of Future Soldier (If it was DRM Free of course) with a few friends strictly just based on seeing the Coop play at E3.

Now, you get nothing. No, I will not download your F2P piece of shit. In fact, you can take every game you make from this point on and cram it up your ass, PC, PS3 or 360, I won't buy it if your name is on it.

Congrats! If your goal was to make even less money even without piracy, your succeeded.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

56. Re: just one fix Nov 24, 2011, 20:00 space captain

yeh, good thing nobody is paying attention to this stuff, because its not worth their time or energy  
Go forth, and kill!

55. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 19:58 ASeven

It is terribly impressive that there are still people who view piracy as a black and white issue, when in truth, and like everything else in the world, it's all a lot of different shades of grey.

Piracy isn't as simple as claiming to be a lost sale. Piracy is far more complicated than saying a lot of stuff I'm reading in this thread.

54. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 19:36 Cartman

Well, I've purchased various versions of Ghost Recon for both PC and Xbox over the years and I've purchased my last of either from Ubisoft. From a purchaser's point of view it's just as easy to ignore an Xbox title as it is a PC title.

Game publishers who take on this attitude and think they are so clever calling their customers "pirates" when their tired rehashed games don't sell as well as they projected can eat shit and die as far as I'm concerned. Think of it as me adapting my wallet to the game market.

And with that said I give thanks on this Thanksgiving for decent and hardworking game publishers who know that some people actually pay for their products.

173 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo