Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

I Am Alive PC Follow-up

IncGamers has a follow-up from I Am Alive creative director Stanislas Mettra after his comments on why I Am Alive is not coming to Windows PCs. He does not back off from his allusions to piracy that caused a firestorm of controversy, but rather makes it clear that he was not ruling out a PC edition, even though Ubisoft told us two months ago not to expect a PC edition of the survival game. Here's his update on the status of a PC edition:

I would really love to see a pc build of the game and I dont think I meant to say "the game won't happen on pc" it's probably an English language miscommunication (I am not native English speaker).

What I meant is that the pc version did not happen yet. But we are still working to see the feasibility of it, which is not necessarily simple. I gave some examples to illustrate the problematic, but obviously it is not in my hands and not my part to talk about this.

Honestly, which game maker would not love his game to be playable on as many platforms and by as many people as possible?

Regardless console or pc, what matters is the game and the pleasure people can get from it.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: I Am Alive PC Follow-up Nov 25, 2011, 16:07 Bhruic

Everyone I've talked to had to do it manually through the game content manager web plugin, in fact you're the first person I've ever heard of auto-updating.

Auto-updated for me fine too. Open Origin, it started patching right away, finished by itself, I never had to do a thing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: I Am Alive PC Follow-up Nov 25, 2011, 14:49 Tanto Edge

Wtf kind of discussion is this?
The games not coming to PC right away and it will be a port when it does.
Not interested.

Piracy? It's a copyright thing, not a theft thing. It can't be theft unless someones missing it. If I took it and you don't have it, I stole it. If I have it and you have it, nothing's been stolen.
Can't have murder without a body, can't have theft without.. a theft.

Insofar as piracy, legality and morales.
I always try before I buy. Deus Ex proved that this works extremely well. I always buy what I play although yes, sometimes I'll just wait until it's on sale. Especially in cases where it would mean owning multiple copies of stuff.

For example, did you know you could 'pirate' Left 4 Dead for LAN play? It's true. Throw the systems into offline mode and they'll connect and play. Won't now, but two years ago, no problem.
Did Valve lose money when I did that? Did Gabe lose weight from starving while I and my cohorts LAN'ed using a single copy between three machines? No.
Nobody cared. Nobody lost sleep. Nobody was hurt.

Skyrim alone has been pir8d so hard Bethesda's should receive an award.
Still made record sales. Record sales that completely wiped anything EA or any other 'Major Label' had, off the ledger.

Piracy? Copyright? Patents? Intellectual Property?
How much does it cost to file a copyright? A patent? To sue to ensure security of your trademarks?
What's the point in this shit existing if it can only help those with the scads of resources it takes to employ the methods of enforcement.

Arguing about what piracy is, is pointless. Arguing that it's causing the death of anything PC related is retarded. Go look at a torrent board. It's covered in console titles.

Big business makes rules and excuses to do as they please and trounce the little guy where applicable.

Y'know something though? If anything, in recent years I've felt that OpenSource and free market community supported systems are falling and failing. There's even been talk of Linux biting ass.

Who gives a fuck if some second rate developer who managed to hit upon one concept isn't bringing their title to PC? I don't expect Uncharted on PC and this doesn't resemble anything I'd expect on PC.
A studio wants to prove their balls, let them. If they fuck it up, we'll see them back on PC before tanking completely and blaming piracy anyhow, so wtf does it matter?

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2011, 15:01.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

40. Re: I Am Alive PC Follow-up Nov 25, 2011, 10:48 Verno

Teddy wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 10:46:
Funny, Origin automatically updated BF3 for me without even having to look at it.

Everyone I've talked to had to do it manually through the game content manager web plugin, in fact you're the first person I've ever heard of auto-updating. More amusing, Origin first directed me to buy another copy of BF3 when I tried to patch it and it's a documented problem on their forums

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

39. Re: I Am Alive PC Follow-up Nov 25, 2011, 10:46 Teddy

Verno wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 09:37:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 17:10:
Nobody is denying that piracy is an issue. However, since Steam I haven't pirated any games. Even Battlefield 3 - which I am really interested - I have refused to buy or pirate because of its requirement for Origin and refusal to be sold on Steam. And games that are priced too high - which previously I would have pirated - I now wait to go on sale or pass on. Pirating games is easy but buying games on Steam is even easier.

That's a great point. Ease of use with something like Steam far surpasses piracy. My friends even commented to me how archaic Origin was a few days ago when we all had to patch BF3 manually and it was a clunky process at best. One of them said "I'm not used to even doing this stuff anymore".

Funny, Origin automatically updated BF3 for me without even having to look at it.

38. Re: I Am Alive PC Follow-up Nov 25, 2011, 09:46 Acleacius

Should have guessed this slim was working for ubi, though it could've been ea.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

37. Re: I Am Alive PC Follow-up Nov 25, 2011, 09:37 Verno

Nobody is denying that piracy is an issue. However, since Steam I haven't pirated any games. Even Battlefield 3 - which I am really interested - I have refused to buy or pirate because of its requirement for Origin and refusal to be sold on Steam. And games that are priced too high - which previously I would have pirated - I now wait to go on sale or pass on. Pirating games is easy but buying games on Steam is even easier.

That's a great point. Ease of use with something like Steam far surpasses piracy. My friends even commented to me how archaic Origin was a few days ago when we all had to patch BF3 manually and it was a clunky process at best. One of them said "I'm not used to even doing this stuff anymore".

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

36. Re: I Am Alive PC Follow-up Nov 25, 2011, 07:23 Dades

Nadool wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 05:11:
Apparently you can train a monkey to post on forums too. With pretty decent grammar I might add. However when you break down what he's trying to say, he's still just flinging poo.

Like the saying goes all surface, no substance.

35. Re: I Am Alive PC Follow-up Nov 25, 2011, 06:09 Jerykk

The people who make these spam bots really need to make them more convincing.  

34. removed Nov 25, 2011, 05:39 utsavparekh

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 25, 2011, 06:18.

33. Re: I Am Alive PC Follow-up Nov 25, 2011, 05:11 Nadool

Apparently you can train a monkey to post on forums too. With pretty decent grammar I might add. However when you break down what he's trying to say, he's still just flinging poo.

32. Re: I Am Alive PC Follow-up Nov 25, 2011, 03:50 theyarecomingforyou

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 19:09:
I feel extremely sorry for anyone who seriously needs to go to a forum or resort to any other sort of help to mount an image file. The intelligence of a person who has trouble with the act of mounting an image file must be lower than that of a monkey.
And not sure what registry executables you are talking about. You may want to turn to quality warez where everything is pre-haXX0red like the Razor 1911 and RELOADED packages where it works just as I posted. Download - mount - play. Five mouse clicks or less if you only half know what you are doing.
That's only a fraction of the story. Many games have half functioning cracks, which need to be updated. Sometimes DRM means that you'll need to jump through hoops when mounting an image. When a patch is released you'll need to wait and then hope the game is popular enough for the patch to be cracked. And what happens when you format your computer? Yup, you have to do all that from scratch. And when you have 400+ games like me that is going to take you a LONG, LONG time - not to mention addition storage space, as you need to maintain the install image as well as the install.

If it weren't for Steam I may not have changed to legally purchasing my games but I'm glad I did.

I don't condemn people for not wanting to pay full price. Read again what I wrote. I condemn the common practice of people who buy a game for $4.99 that they pirated at a time when it was new and selling for $49 everywhere. Then they act all heroic about their cheap purchase and consider themselves legit gamers. Bullshit. That's like raping a girl and then feeling like a gentleman when you help her wipe the cum off her face. Wow. What a hero you are. Not.
Oh, the irony. You're doing the very thing that we're complaining about in this topic - making shit up and making assumptions. I don't pirate games AT ALL. Sometimes I pre-order games I'm interested in, other times I wait for a sale. If it weren't for the sales then I would not have bought the majority of games I own. Therefore they're doing exactly what they set out to do. Do I claim to represent the entire gaming population? No. But I see my situation repeated everywhere I go, as a lot of people express the same sentiments.

The reality is that games on digital distribution mediums can continue to sell indefinitely. There is no shelf-space like at retail. A new game - like Sonic Generations, Skyrim or Deus Ex: Human Revolution - can stimulate the sales of the earlier games. And targeted sales can bring in huge amounts of revenue and expose games to a much larger audience, despite the reduced profit margin (which is still higher than retail). Steam has revolutionised gaming and I hope Valve and others can continue by taking it further.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

31. Re: I Am Alive PC Follow-up Nov 24, 2011, 20:46 William Usher

Really? You mean you didn't first have to create an account? You didn't have to log in with your account credentials, didn't have to add something to your shopping cart and didn't have to enter your payment info? You just click install and play? I want that version of Steam with free games and no account registration requirements, too!

You make it sound like you have to do that every time you buy a game. After the initial sign-up IT IS EASIER to buy from Steam than to pirate. Believe it. No installs, no ISOs, no clunky files to replace or update or the round-abouts for playing online. Try getting that monkey to play a pirated copy of Borderlands with the DLC and the latest patch, compare that to getting Borderlands with all the DLC on Steam...oh wait, it takes less clicks, less download time and less install time. Yep, you're right, Steam is obviously harder to use than torrenting.

I don't condemn people for not wanting to pay full price. Read again what I wrote. I condemn the common practice of people who buy a game for $4.99 that they pirated at a time when it was new and selling for $49 everywhere. Then they act all heroic about their cheap purchase and consider themselves legit gamers. Bullshit. That's like raping a girl and then feeling like a gentleman when you help her wipe the cum off her face. Wow. What a hero you are. Not.

Haha, what the heck does a gamer's principals have to do with a potential purchase? Whether they get the game legally, pirated, new, used, etc., it doesn't matter. Money is money. If a gamer bum-ravished EA and said 'Ya know, that was a really good bum-ravishing, I rather enjoyed that, here's some coin' and tossed EA some money, they would lap it up regardless if they were bum-ravished before or after they received some coin.

Oh wait, Activision is doing that right now with Modern Warfare 3, which was already pirated before it released yet set sales records. Oh wait...EA did the same thing when Battlefield 3 was pirated but it couldn't be played until the access was lifted via Origin. So far neither company has complained about piracy despite the fact that both those titles suffered from the piracy rape scenario you used. Want to know why? Because they made money.

I don't support piracy but in the end if the developers get their share one way or another (personally I don't care how) then it means they can keep making games and that's all that should matter to developers and gamers alike. All that prinpcal/morality/legality BS is a throwaway and pointless in this business.

30. Re: I Am Alive PC Follow-up Nov 24, 2011, 20:29 Jerykk

Actually with the even higher production costs of the next gen of console games I'm seeing a very substantial risk for future PC game development. I am fully expecting a rise in console-focused development and marketing and the opposite on the PC. PC gaming might only barely survive the X720/PS4 era. The generation after that might outright kill everything but indie PC games.

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. The reason why this generation has gone primarily multiplatform is because games are so expensive to make. Conversely, PC ports are very cheap to make and, with the growth of digital distribution, easy to profit from. If publishers want to maximize their profits, PC ports make sense. If the next-gen games are even more expensive to make, that's all the more reason to keep doing PC ports.

Your ability to ignore history is really quite impressive. The PC is getting more ports than it used to and these ports are generally of higher quality than ever before. Remember old Capcom ports like RE4? Remember how awful they used to be? Now Capcom is even porting their fighting games to PC and the PC versions are always the best. A lot of games that would have traditionally been console-exclusive are now getting PC versions. I don't see this trend changing anytime soon, especially if game development becomes even more costly.

Ubisoft is just a lousy publisher. Even EA tried to adapt when its customers complained about Securom. Many publishers are turning to Steamworks because it's the preferred DRM scheme of most customers. Ubisoft, on the other hand, hasn't budged on its DRM, despite unanimous and vocal criticism of it. That, combined with the fact that almost all of their ports are delayed and that their games in general have been fairly lackluster, make it pretty obvious why they aren't seeing the sales numbers they'd like to see. If they want to see higher PC sales, they need to get rid of UbiDRM and start releasing PC versions simultaneously with the console versions.

29. Re: I Am Alive PC Follow-up Nov 24, 2011, 19:37 Dades

Really? You mean you didn't first have to create an account? You didn't have to log in with your account credentials, didn't have to add something to your shopping cart and didn't have to enter your payment info? You just click install and play? I want that version of Steam with free games and no account registration requirements, too!

Almost like creating Xbox Live or PSN accounts, bunch of rocket science mumbo jumbo if you ask me. So complicated that 30 million people figured out, must be all of the worlds geniuses rounded up in the same demographic. Damn those high society types!

28. Re: I Am Alive PC Follow-up Nov 24, 2011, 19:09 CJ_Parker

William Usher wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 18:39:
Yes Steam is easier to use than pirating. Do you need to goto a forum to learn how to a "mount an image" or do you need to learn about the registry executables required for some games?

I feel extremely sorry for anyone who seriously needs to go to a forum or resort to any other sort of help to mount an image file. The intelligence of a person who has trouble with the act of mounting an image file must be lower than that of a monkey.
And not sure what registry executables you are talking about. You may want to turn to quality warez where everything is pre-haXX0red like the Razor 1911 and RELOADED packages where it works just as I posted. Download - mount - play. Five mouse clicks or less if you only half know what you are doing.

Last I checked you just click INSTALL from the Steam client and you're done. That's it.

If it gets any easier then they obviously aren't catering the service to a species with the intelligence capable of actually playing the game they bought.

As I said it would be easier to train a monkey to install a pirated version than training a monkey to buy a game from Steam. For Steam the monkey would have to be literate. For piracy you'd just need to train him which buttons to click.

As for the prices...yes, Steam's "new releases" are a rip-off but as every other person already mentioned, the sales more than make up for it.

For the consumer, yes, but for the publishers the sales are just limiting their losses. They need the full price sales for survival.

And added to this, why on Earth would you condemn anyone for not wanting to pay full price for a game? That's ludicrous. Consumers aren't the ones telling publishers to gimp them on the gameplay experience with scripted, linear levels and practically zero replayability in half the games released these days.

27. Re: I Am Alive PC Follow-up Nov 24, 2011, 18:39 William Usher

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 17:50:
And Steam is certainly not cheaper (Steam prices are a rip-off compared to retail in most cases and compared to "free", well, there is no comparison... free is free which is as cheap as it gets), nor is it easier than piracy. I don't know what piracy you guys are talking about but I'm talking about the download cracked image and mount via DT kind of piracy which takes less than a handful of mouse clicks and is so easily done you could train a monkey to do it. On the other hand: Try training a monkey to enter account credentials or credit card details. Good luck with that.

Yes Steam is easier to use than pirating. Do you need to goto a forum to learn how to a "mount an image" or do you need to learn about the registry executables required for some games? Last I checked you just click INSTALL from the Steam client and you're done. That's it. If it gets any easier then they obviously aren't catering the service to a species with the intelligence capable of actually playing the game they bought.

As for the prices...yes, Steam's "new releases" are a rip-off but as every other person already mentioned, the sales more than make up for it.

And added to this, why on Earth would you condemn anyone for not wanting to pay full price for a game? That's ludicrous. Consumers aren't the ones telling publishers to gimp them on the gameplay experience with scripted, linear levels and practically zero replayability in half the games released these days.

Remember, without consumers there is no publisher, there is no franchise, there is no game unless the devs pull it out of their own pockets. Most of the games we play on any platform from a big publisher is from funds WE gave them with our purchases.

26. Re: I Am Alive PC Follow-up Nov 24, 2011, 18:35 Wallshadows

And Steam is certainly not cheaper (Steam prices are a rip-off compared to retail in most cases and compared to "free", well, there is no comparison... free is free which is as cheap as it gets), nor is it easier than piracy. I don't know what piracy you guys are talking about but I'm talking about the download cracked image and mount via DT kind of piracy which takes less than a handful of mouse clicks and is so easily done you could train a monkey to do it. On the other hand: Try training a monkey to enter account credentials or credit card details. Good luck with that.

You're drinking out of the wrong Kool-aid cup again.

25. Re: I Am Alive PC Follow-up Nov 24, 2011, 18:09 Dades

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 17:50:
Yeah you guys are mentioning just another major problem which is people buying games in Steam sales for $4.99 after they have played the pirated version on, before or just after a game's release. Then they consider that dirt cheap sale washing themselves clean while in reality the dirty deed's been long done. Publishers and developers depend on full price sales to be able to survive. Don't try to justify your thieving by pirating now and buying later. There is no justification for stealing. Just none.

PC retail is dead and it doesn't really matter if Steam is cheaper or not, it has a very large adoption rate among PC users. You're just giving us the list of excuses for the corporations instead of examining why some are successful and others are not. Piracy is a problem for every industry and the console world is no different, it just has a more weighted ratio of consumers who don't understand how to pirate in the first place.

The assumption that people only buy games on Steam sales is a very flawed one too and even if it were true Steam has daily sales and according to you the prices weren't very good in the first place. Steam still gives publishers a far better profit margin than they get at retail and they can sell the title almost indefinitely.

24. Re: I Am Alive PC Follow-up Nov 24, 2011, 17:50 CJ_Parker

Yeah you guys are mentioning just another major problem which is people buying games in Steam sales for $4.99 after they have played the pirated version on, before or just after a game's release. Then they consider that dirt cheap sale washing themselves clean while in reality the dirty deed's been long done. Publishers and developers depend on full price sales to be able to survive. Don't try to justify your thieving by pirating now and buying later. There is no justification for stealing. Just none.

23. Re: I Am Alive PC Follow-up Nov 24, 2011, 17:29 Dev

Pirating games is easy but buying games on Steam is even easier.
^ This.

This is why my steam game library is over 500 titles. In fact, I've gone out of my way to purchase back catalog titles that I use to "acquire" in the past, so I could give my money to the devs and have legit copies.

Steam is like itunes with music, lots of people just use it since its so cheap and easy, easier than pirating in many cases.

Sacrifex wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 14:30:
Seriously, do these people not have any grey-matter to weigh their heads down?

If you're going to want to sell something to people, now, or in the future, perhaps it would be a good idea not to go out of your way to issue an inflammatory statement meant solely to shit directly on their faces.
Which is why most official statements or interviews when asked questions like this, say something like "we are investigating all options" or "no plans at this time, but we are looking into it," or even "no comment."

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo