Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

South Korea's Gaming Curfew

South Korea has implemented a "hotly debated law" that blocks young gamers from accessing game websites after midnight, reports CNN. They say the new system called the "shutdown law" or the "Cinderella law," and it blocks those under the age of 16 from accessing gaming websites after midnight, though it apparently does not affect mobile games or some games on social networking websites. The motivation for this is the high levels of reported "internet addiction," said to be 8% of the population from 8 to 39 years old and 14% of those between 9 and 12. The report also states this has sparked protests, with some calling for the shutdown of the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family, which is behind the policy, and saying parents should be the ones to decide when their children should be allowed to play games. Thanks Ant via Slashdot.

View
6. Re: South Korea's Gaming Curfew Nov 23, 2011, 14:22 necrosis

"Internet Addiction"? There is such a thing?

Its just a form of entertainment. I don't watch TV for shit because I am always on my computer. Because... I don't know... it is also what pays the bills as I work in the IT field.

Also would they rather have the kids joining gang's and doing other more violent things? Because that is basically what they would do.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Nov 23, 12:11 Re: South Korea's Gaming Curfew CommunistHamster
  2. Nov 23, 12:31  Re: South Korea's Gaming Curfew Jerykk
  5. Nov 23, 13:40  Re: South Korea's Gaming Curfew Razumen
  8. Nov 23, 14:41   Re: South Korea's Gaming Curfew TurdFergasun
  3. Nov 23, 13:12 Re: South Korea's Gaming Curfew Cutter
  4. Nov 23, 13:19 Re: South Korea's Gaming Curfew tuddies
>> 6. Nov 23, 14:22 Re: South Korea's Gaming Curfew necrosis
  7. Nov 23, 14:29  Re: South Korea's Gaming Curfew Cutter
  9. Nov 23, 17:56   Re: South Korea's Gaming Curfew eunichron
  10. Nov 23, 18:59 Re: South Korea's Gaming Curfew jdreyer