Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WoW: Mists of Pandaria Talent Calculator

The World of Warcraft Website now offers a Mists of Pandaria Talent Calculator offering the chance to check out the new talent system coming to Blizzard's MMORPG:

We’re excited to be able to provide players with the opportunity to explore this new talent system and look forward to hearing your feedback. As with all previews, we ask that you please keep in mind that Mists of Pandaria and its class talents are still under development. This means that many of the spells and abilities you see in the Talent Calculator are not yet final and may change before release.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: WoW: Mists of Pandaria Talent Calculator Nov 26, 2011, 06:59 Fibrocyte

If there are less talent choices then there is less balancing that needs to be done which means more dev resources can be shifted to Titan.

Yep, they'll lose a lot of players from this but they probably expect a lot of those players to move to their next MMO, anyway.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: WoW: Mists of Pandaria Talent Calculator Nov 24, 2011, 17:58 Muscular Beaver

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 13:04:
Wow -- dumbing it down is one thing, but with that setup my 9 year old niece could probably pick talents for a raiding character. Crazy.
And thats exactly what they want. Pandas, Asian Anime style zones dont ring a bell?

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

13. Re: WoW: Mists of Pandaria Talent Calculator Nov 24, 2011, 13:04 Mr. Tact

Wow -- dumbing it down is one thing, but with that setup my 9 year old niece could probably pick talents for a raiding character. Crazy.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

12. Re: WoW: Mists of Pandaria Talent Calculator Nov 23, 2011, 23:39 Trevellian

I thought I was going to die from lack of air I was laughing so hard when i clicked on that talent calculator.
6 choices and you need a fucking calculator? Holy shit how stupid would you have to be.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

11. Re: WoW: Mists of Pandaria Talent Calculator Nov 23, 2011, 16:47 Mashiki Amiketo

nin wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 15:09:
Based on the link above, it doesn't look any better. As a matter of fact, it seems on par with the remodel of skill trees in D3.

Better? Far from better, be right back. I'm getting the gasoline, a burnt ham, and 23lbs of bullshit. Because once I burn it all together, I think it'll still look better than the talent system they're pushing.

Ya know I really liked the whole talent/tree system during TBC, gear choices might not have been the best for some classes, and it did need work. But TBC was probably the best in terms of difficulty, and options.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

10. Re: WoW: Mists of Pandaria Talent Calculator Nov 23, 2011, 16:34 Rhett

If I was still playing WoW, this is where I would draw the line. Talent trees were one of the most fun things to play with, when leveling. I loved playing non-cookie-cutter builds.

But that was over two years ago, and I'm happy that I quit playing before Cataclysm. Though, they won't stop sending me emails asking me to play a trial. To the spam box with you, heathen!

9. Re: WoW: Mists of Pandaria Talent Calculator Nov 23, 2011, 15:45 m00t

As to the talent calculator, yeah, it's silly to call it a "calculator". I think it's more of a "Hey people who still don't get it, this is how it will work" thing.  

8. Re: WoW: Mists of Pandaria Talent Calculator Nov 23, 2011, 15:43 m00t

I like what they did with the talents in MoP (still not going to go back for other reasons). To be perfectly frank, you had the same number of real choices to make in Cata as you do in MoP except now newbies can't screw up and miss filling out talents that are really vital to their class. The old system was unsustainable and didn't add a lot to the game except unnecessary complexity.  

7. Re: WoW: Mists of Pandaria Talent Calculator Nov 23, 2011, 15:28 Wallshadows

I keep saying this but I have no idea how they think this will provide more customization to the players when we have six choices. Now, while the individual talents will likely change, you'll still see the the same cookie cutter specs which either favor dps in pve and survivability in pvp.

Keeping both in the same tree as they have been since the dawn of time will always create a fundamental balance issues where you pick one over the other which applies to your play style. As the talents stand, some can be used both ways, such as the Druid talent which can buff your healing as feral but for the most part, it seems like there is very little gray zone beyond what I play.

6. Re: WoW: Mists of Pandaria Talent Calculator Nov 23, 2011, 15:09 nin

Illumin wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 15:02:
When another MMO comes out that's worth a crap wow's going to be in trouble. Fortunately for Activision it seems like the rest of the world is not capable of making anything that's original or interesting.

From my time spent in TOR, I think it's decent competition. It certainty doesn't reinvent the wheel, but I've enjoyed my time, and I'm looking forward to more.

That said, I don't think it's a geared towards end game content (yet), so I wonder how it will do once the initial 3-6 months wears off.

They claimed Pandas would have an improved talent system but I guess that was just more marketing lies.

Based on the link above, it doesn't look any better. As a matter of fact, it seems on par with the remodel of skill trees in D3.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

5. Re: WoW: Mists of Pandaria Talent Calculator Nov 23, 2011, 15:07 WyldKat

That really surprises me. There was a huge backlash from the Cataclysm dumbing down and Blizz themselves half-acknowledged it was a bad move. They claimed Pandas would have an improved talent system but I guess that was just more marketing lies.

Oh well, I've been enjoying Rift and it's deep talent/class system for close to a year now, and pretty soon I'll be enjoying Guild Wars 2 even more.

Blizz might as well sell WoW to Zynga at this point.

4. Re: WoW: Mists of Pandaria Talent Calculator Nov 23, 2011, 15:02 Illumin

When another MMO comes out that's worth a crap wow's going to be in trouble. Fortunately for Activision it seems like the rest of the world is not capable of making anything that's original or interesting.  

3. Re: WoW: Mists of Pandaria Talent Calculator Nov 23, 2011, 14:45 Verno

I thought this was the usual MMO thread stuff but I took a look at those calculators and holy shit, that's just.....wow. Talk about dumbing the game down and removing all customization, incredible. I had no idea they went this far with it, Cataclysm was hilarious enough. Might as well wrap the whole thing up into Flash and put it on Facebook.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

2. Re: WoW: Mists of Pandaria Talent Calculator Nov 23, 2011, 14:20 Gadzooks

Why do they even need a talent calc anymore? You have like 6 choices total. If you cant remember what to pick, just/inspect the person next to you since it wont really matter.  

1. Re: WoW: Mists of Pandaria Talent Calculator Nov 23, 2011, 13:32 Ozmodan

They have so dumbed down the talent system, I don't know why they even bother to keep it. The talent system in Cataclysm was bad enough, now they are changing it to this joke of a system.  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo