Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM III Source Code Released

As tweeted by John Carmack, the promised GPL release of the source code for DOOM III is now available on GitHub. Word is: "This source release does not contain any game data, the game data is still covered by the original EULA and must be obeyed as usual."

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 24, 2011, 09:12 theyarecomingforyou

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 14:19:
Far Cry and Doom 3 were trying to do very different things. Far Cry cannot compete at all in shadows, interior lighting and general detail, but it certainly wins in other areas. It's all kind of relative, you can't really say game X looks better than game Y when both do certain things amazing well for their time.
I'm aware of that but I really didn't like Doom 3. Character models were blocky and the textures looks waxy / plastic-like. The lighting was technically impressive but I didn't think it was at all realistic. It also performed quite poorly. Meanwhile, Far Cry offered better gameplay, incredibly large environments, excellent graphics, excellent performance and vehicles. So while it may not have handled shadows / low level lighting as well it still - to me - offered superior visuals.

The engine isn't the main criticism of Doom 3, though. The gameplay was incredibly dated for the time. The original Half-Life had already set the bar high and Far Cry offered large worlds that could be approached in different ways. Doom 3 instead relied on scripted events, incredibly narrow corridors and a poor plot. As I said, Prey used the same engine and achieved a lot more with it.

Doom 3 was hugely overhyped and didn't deliver. Much like RAGE.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 24, 2011, 07:14 Fantaz

Does this make the game easier/better to mod now?  

30. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 20:41 Flatline

For me more than anything Doom 3 was the beginning of the current generation of lighting effects where you had more realistic lighting models.  

29. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 20:08 Razumen

Halo wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 17:59:
No; those dates are all correct. I Still don't see any mention of a xbox 360 though...

That's because they both came out on the original XBox, not the 360. Assault on Dark Athena came out on 360, but that's kind of irrelevant.

Actually, it's quite amazing that they were even able to get D3 running on the XBOX, in it's original form (mostly, disregarding some lackluster framerates aside.) The Riddick engine is nice to be sure, but it relied on cheap post processing effects more and just wasn't as 'solid' as D3.

And if you wanna see what the Doom3 engine is capable of now *without* source code modding, you should check out the Sikkmod or Perfected Doom 3 Mods, it makes the game look even better, and even more demanding, on today's hardware.

28. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 17:59 Halo

kanniballl wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 16:46:
Halo wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 16:11:
kanniballl wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 15:57:
Halo wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 14:06:
CeeJay wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 13:27:
Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay came out the year before Doom3 and both looked better and ran better.

It was the big surprise that year.

Check your dates

On the PC, Doom 3 came out first. Aug 2004 vs Dec 2004

On XBox 360, Riddick came out first. Jun 2004 vs Apr 2005

Obviously, the better comparison is the PC.

You might want to check your dates on the xbox 360 as well

From Wikipedia, which admittedly can be wrong.

Riddick:
Xbox
- NA June 1, 2004
- EU August 13, 2004
Microsoft Windows
- EU December 3, 2004
- NA December 8, 2004

Doom 3
Windows
- NA August 3, 2004
- EU August 13, 2004
Xbox
- NA April 3, 2005
- EU April 8, 2005

No; those dates are all correct. I Still don't see any mention of a xbox 360 though...

27. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 17:52 SectorEffector

I still stand by a Doom classic mod with the overcast skies, labyrinth level design and light.

Btw Farcry did some amazing stencil shadows and light in certain levels when it wanted, whomever thinks doom3 was far ahead of it is out to lunch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

26. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 17:36 Zadig

Doom 3 was terrible. Bad level design, monster closets, couldn't see anything but still ran poorly, no story, etc. It was so markedly inferior to Half Life 2 that I'm bewildered Carmack isn't washing cars by now. I don't see how any 'mod' can fix all that.  

25. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 16:46 kanniballl

Halo wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 16:11:
Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay came out the year before Doom3 and both looked better and ran better.

Check your dates

From Wikipedia, which admittedly can be wrong.

Riddick:
Xbox
- NA June 1, 2004
- EU August 13, 2004
Microsoft Windows
- EU December 3, 2004
- NA December 8, 2004

Doom 3
Windows
- NA August 3, 2004
- EU August 13, 2004
Xbox
- NA April 3, 2005
- EU April 8, 2005

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

24. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 16:11 Halo

Check your dates

23. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 15:58 kanniballl

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 14:19:
I for one was pretty damn impressed with Doom 3 when it came out. I remember everyone else on my forums at the time loving it, sharing little stories about their time with it. I don't think it was the best game ever, but it does sadden me about that years later people seem to enjoy acting like it was this abject failure.

I don't consider it a failure, just that *I* don't think it measures up to the hype.

It was a somewhat-fun mindless shooter that did some impressive stuff. Gameplay was lacking and the monsters were a bit lackluster but it was alright. It was spooky (enough to make me jump once or twice) but was too dark. And frankly, as much as I can appreciate (as a developer) how tough real shadows are... I don't care for them.

Personally I'd gave it a B or B+ back then. Some people I talk to now STILL give it an A+... which I don't agree with. But it's all subjective.

Personally I had more fun with Quake 4 over Doom 3 (though they had the same engine).

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

22. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 15:57 kanniballl

Check your dates

-Fry, Futurama

21. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 14:19 StingingVelvet

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 12:15:
Nobody is disputing that many people praised it at release. However, I was unimpressed from the first screenshots and my position has remained unchanged. I thought it looked poor in comparison to the likes of Far Cry (released earlier) and Half-Life 2 (released later). Far Cry was the big surprise, as it had incredible graphics and actually ran well for the time - Doom 3 was less impressive, had a poor visual design and ran pretty poorly for the time.

Far Cry and Doom 3 were trying to do very different things. Far Cry cannot compete at all in shadows, interior lighting and general detail, but it certainly wins in other areas. It's all kind of relative, you can't really say game X looks better than game Y when both do certain things amazing well for their time.

I for one was pretty damn impressed with Doom 3 when it came out. I remember everyone else on my forums at the time loving it, sharing little stories about their time with it. I don't think it was the best game ever, but it does sadden me about that years later people seem to enjoy acting like it was this abject failure.

20. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 14:06 Halo

Check your dates

19. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 13:27 CeeJay

I'm the developer of SweetFX

18. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 13:26 Razumen

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 11:19:
A Doom 3 thread that quickly turns into people saying how crappy and not that good looking it actually was, despite the praise when it was released? SHOCKER.
Nobody is disputing that many people praised it at release. However, I was unimpressed from the first screenshots and my position has remained unchanged. I thought it looked poor in comparison to the likes of Far Cry (released earlier) and Half-Life 2 (released later). Far Cry was the big surprise, as it had incredible graphics and actually ran well for the time - Doom 3 was less impressive, had a poor visual design and ran pretty poorly for the time.

Prey put the engine to best use, while BRINK somehow managed to introduce modifications that made it perform poorly on modern systems while offering inferior graphics (despite a great art direction).

It's great to see the source code released but it was never a great engine and idTech 5 turned out to be a disaster as well.

I rather liked Doom 3's art style and thought they did a rather good job porting the monsters into the 3D realm. Also, I recall it running not too poorly at the time, I didn't even have a top of the line rig either.

And you can't really compare D3 with Farcry in terms of eyecandy alone, Farcray was all about wide open vistas and it did that great. Doom 3 was a dark, action/horror themed game and it did that great (sans the horror mostly lol) Doom 3 was also about getting rid of prebaked lighting and unifying the entire rendering pipeline with completely real time lighting - Which no game has done again TO THIS DAY. Doom 3 was basically ahead of it's time, and I think even Carmack admitted this to an extent.

Still, Doom 3 was a great engine, there's no way you can argue otherwise, it's greatest strength with lighting however meant it did not easily scale back as well as other engines. It was also very mod friendly, more so than either Farcry or HL2. so much could be changed simply via a text editor.

17. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 12:54 Halo

A Doom 3 thread that quickly turns into people saying how crappy and not that good looking it actually was, despite the praise when it was released? SHOCKER.

Out of 2004 all 100 something FPS that came out that year I thought it was up there in the top 5. I LOVE Doom and Doom II but didn't find 3 as impressive. I would like to see somebody remake System Shock 2 with the Doom 3 source though...

16. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 12:15 theyarecomingforyou

Prey put the engine to best use, while BRINK somehow managed to introduce modifications that made it perform poorly on modern systems while offering inferior graphics (despite a great art direction).

It's great to see the source code released but it was never a great engine and idTech 5 turned out to be a disaster as well.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

15. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 11:56 kanniballl

It was "good" looking, but even when it came out I said it was just alright.

Most of the praise came from the fact that it was, well, DOOM. Fans of the old game, rose-colored-glasses, etc.

It was fun for a pointless shoot-em-up, though it relied too much on the whole "turn off the lights and make a monster jump out of a corner/closet/shaft/etc" thing. And its dark and dreary environment hid most of what was probably impressive texture-work.

It wasn't the most fun game of the year, and a couple of other (more fun) games that year looked either as good or close to it.

I don't regret buying it, but I recently heard someone (in r/l) talking about how DOOM 3 was the best FPS of the decade... and to that I have to strongly disagree.

-

-Fry, Futurama

14. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 11:19 StingingVelvet

13. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 10:53 Halo

rocketpcguy wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 10:22:
"It didn't look THAT stellar"? this video is of the doom 3 alpha leaked in 2002, what other games in 2002 looked half as good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4583FXCYOEQ

Let's not forget that Far Cry came out that year. IMO though I believe they were just as good as each other in terms of graphics.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo