Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC

WBIE and DC Entertainment announce the Games for Windows LIVE edition of Batman: Arkham City is now available via digital distribution, adding a note for console gamers that the Robin Bundle Pack is now available on Xbox LIVE Marketplace for 560 Microsoft Points, PlayStation®Network for $6.99 "as well as all supported digital platforms" (whatever that means, as this doesn't seem to be available for Windows). Here's a reminder about what this stealth/action sequel is all about:

Published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and developed by Rocksteady Studios, Batman: Arkham City builds upon the intense, atmospheric foundation of Batman: Arkham Asylum, sending players soaring into Arkham City – five times larger than the game world in Batman: Arkham Asylum – and the new maximum security “home” for all of Gotham City’s thugs, gangsters and insane criminal masterminds. Set inside the heavily fortified walls of a sprawling district in the heart of Gotham City, this highly anticipated sequel introduces a brand-new story that draws together a new, all-star cast of classic characters and murderous villains from the Batman universe, as well as a vast range of new and enhanced gameplay features to deliver the ultimate experience as the Dark Knight.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC Nov 23, 2011, 17:40 space captain

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 10:31:
The two-card market is probably infinitely small. Less effort for a small portion of the audience is a hallmark of capitalism.

apparently you are entirely unaware of US tax law, and pretty much everything else to do with "capitalism"

Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC Nov 23, 2011, 15:38 Krovven

Played for another 4 to 5 hours last night. Not a single technical problem, no crashes, no problems with GFWL or Steam, flawless. This is using 11.11a AMD drivers.

Great game!

48. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC Nov 23, 2011, 10:31 StingingVelvet

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 04:10:
What I want to know is why Crossfire / SLI have been broken on pretty much every major release for the past 4-5 months. RAGE has only just got Crossfire support and a quick Google search lead me to a forum stating that SLI still isn't available. Skyrim is the same affair and now B:AC. If it was just AMD, just nVidia or just one developer then I could understand it but it applies to nVidia and AMD and multiple developers.

The two-card market is probably infinitely small. Less effort for a small portion of the audience is a hallmark of capitalism.

47. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC Nov 23, 2011, 09:37 Eldaron Imotholin

Those 3D televisions are, even way more so than BluRay, a bridge to something much more revolutionary. I wouldn't spend such big money on it. Ever.

Not even entirely sure if 3D TVs are such a bridge. I think it's crap technology, the way it "deceives" the eyes. The headaches I get with them glasses on cannot be a good signal.

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 2011, 10:04.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

46. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC Nov 23, 2011, 08:50 El Pit

So far, I'm having a blast with this game (no DX11, no SLI).  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

45. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC Nov 23, 2011, 08:25 theyarecomingforyou

Jerykk wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 04:57:
Nvidia is usually good about getting SLI support before or shortly after a game's release. ATI, on the other hand, has been thoroughly lacking as of late. DX:HR was officially sponsored by them and it took them several driver releases just to fix all the issues.
I played DX:HR from release and didn't notice any driver or Crossfire issues. Crossfire was supported before the game was released and performance was excellent. I also didn't hear about any issues - either on forums or from friends - unlike RAGE and Skyrim. That's not to say that there weren't any issues but your implication is that the game was broken out of the box for AMD users, when that wasn't the case (unlike RAGE).

Regardless of whether publishers want to send pre-release builds to nVidia/AMD there should be an effort made by developers to ensure that technologies like SLI and Crossfire are supported out of the box, as well as to ensure that there aren't any obvious issues. It strikes me that developers / publishers are failing on a very basic level when it comes to quality assurance.

It's a shame that developers are relying on AMD (DiRT2/3, F1 2010/2011, STALKER: CoP) and nVidia (Mirror's Edge, B:AA/B:AC, RAGE) instead of pushing to incorporate such technology on their own.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

44. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC Nov 23, 2011, 04:58 Lorcin

entr0py wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 21:34:
I'm just curious, how could any game look better in 3D than it does in in 2D? It seems like it would have half the brightness, half the effective refresh rate (per eye), and much lower performance since the scene is being rendered from two perspectives. But it sounds like it must work better than I'm imagining.

Mainly because the environment textures (especially inside) are messy and almost grainy on the ps3. The glasses seem to work because the darkness smooths everything (like a poor man's AF)

43. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC Nov 23, 2011, 04:57 Jerykk

What I want to know is why Crossfire / SLI have been broken on pretty much every major release for the past 4-5 months. RAGE has only just got Crossfire support and a quick Google search lead me to a forum stating that SLI still isn't available. Skyrim is the same affair and now B:AC. If it was just AMD, just nVidia or just one developer then I could understand it but it applies to nVidia and AMD and multiple developers.

Nvidia is usually good about getting SLI support before or shortly after a game's release. ATI, on the other hand, has been thoroughly lacking as of late. DX:HR was officially sponsored by them and it took them several driver releases just to fix all the issues.

A lot of it has to do with publishers. Publishers have to agree to send PC builds to ATI/Nvidia for optimization. It seems a lot of publishers don't care enough to bother. When a game gets PC-exclusive graphical features like tesselation and PhysX, it's typically because Nvidia/ATI offered to do it for free and handle all implementation and testing related to it.

42. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC Nov 23, 2011, 04:29 InBlack

I expect Ill be playing Skyrim till Diablo3 comes round, and then I expect Ill be playing that for a loooongish period of time....

Batman can wait....

I have a nifty blue line!

41. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC Nov 23, 2011, 04:10 theyarecomingforyou

I'll pick this up when it's on sale. I still haven't completed B:AA and have Skyrim to keep me occupied for now. The price is a bit high for a title I only have a casual interest in. Shame about the issues, as I'd want to be playing it in DX11.

I thought that PC gaming was finally starting to turn a corner and yet the past few months have completely turned that around. I mean, it was only earlier this year that Deus Ex: Human Revolution and F1 2011 came out, both with excellent PC versions that were well optimised and supported DX11.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

40. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC Nov 23, 2011, 03:06 saluk

Yeah if this game worked better for me I would be playing it and not complaining on here. As is, this port is pretty darn hit and miss. It's obvious why it was delayed, and that it really needed more delays, but any more would not be financially wise. As it stands, performance is much worse than the last game. Random framerate drops, and unsynced audio are the worst offenders. It's playable but not fun. Waiting for a fix, either game patch, or graphics drivers, or both, to play. Was hoping for something to tide me over till TOR (no skyrim for me, and it is too big to finish by then anyway), hopefully I can get this game working in time. Otherwise it might be on the shelf for a while.  

39. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC Nov 23, 2011, 01:02 Matshock

Short update:

I invested another 20 minutes in getting past the GFWL crash that started this afternoon.

I had to disable 1 of my hardware fire walls- that sucks but OK. I don't have to do that for Steam or even Origin.

DX9 lighting looks like crap vs. DX 11. I'm sorry but it's the unvarnished truth.

Rocksteady says a fix is inbound. I really look forward to it.

38. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC Nov 22, 2011, 23:04 Wolfox

Bought the game on Gamersgate, downloaded it, installed it, played for a couple hours. No problems whatsoever, and it runs just as well as Batman: Arkham Asylum did, if not better.

And the game is AWESOME. I'm only a couple hours in, but it's been very, very good so far. Game of the Year material, no doubt.

37. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC Nov 22, 2011, 23:01 nin

This review nailed it...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

36. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC Nov 22, 2011, 22:55 Matshock

Well, the wiki I linked to off of the official B:AC forums indicates I should:

1. Disable 2 of my 4 cores manually every time I start the game.

2. Disable DX11 entirely.

3. Disable my security software

...at a minimum; and the crashes I have had now demand that I wipe and re-install GFWL.

Or I could watch Conan the Barbarian in HD, not worry about it and enjoy B:AC in DX11 glory later after the problems are fixed for me.

I got it on that Nvidia promo deal anyhow.

Crazy guy: it's not worth it. Take care.

35. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC Nov 22, 2011, 22:49 Hyatus

Lorcin wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 20:52:
*edit* got to add a big reason for renting was the fact I have a 3d TV. My PC is hooked to the TV but unfortunately ATI are still living in the dark ages and won't pump out stereoscopic.

Have you tried iz3d?

I don't have a 3dtv(yet) but I can get the old anaglyph (red/blue) glasses working with it.

34. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC Nov 22, 2011, 21:57 Dades

Krovven wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 20:19:
You said the game was "utterly busted" in reply to someone asking if it was a driver issue. You specifically stated it was so bad you were forgetting about it until there was a patch. Fact is you don't know what the problem is, havent stated any problems beyond Dx11/SLi and clearly don't want to contribute to elaborating on the problems. If you aren't even willing to play the game outside DX11/SLi, then that's your problem and nobody should bother even trying to help you.

The game runs and plays just perfectly if not in DX11. You want an utterly busted game at launch, try RAGE, which was completely unplayable for 3 weeks and I had put 6+ hrs of gametime (nevermind real-time) into just trying to get it run with different drivers and settings.

If a game doesn't work with DX11 mode or SLi/Crossfire, does not make the game unplayable. The game runs ABSOLUTELY FINE if you do not use DX11 or SLi. To add to that, some people found the AMD 11.11a drivers solved the problems for them. Has nVidia released updated drivers for AC yet? If not, go cry to them.

So why do you have such a problem with someone stating (correcting your dumb ass) where the problems actually are, instead of the blanket false comments that the game is 'a bad console port' or is 'utterly broken'?

You sound like an unhinged looney.

33. begin construction on the concentration camps immediately Nov 22, 2011, 21:34 space captain

you guys want to talk in absolutes and blanket generalizations?

its perfectly fine to do that... as long as you are ok with being perfectly stupid

hint: im way WAY better than the rest of you pathetic losers

Go forth, and kill!

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC Nov 22, 2011, 21:34 entr0py

Lorcin wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 20:52:
Too late for me - rented it, finished it and so did my 9 year old son within the 5 days after school. I had a preorder in for this - but cancelled it when the date kept shifting. I'll get it in the steam sale next year to see some bits I missed but aside from that....

*edit* got to add a big reason for renting was the fact I have a 3d TV. My PC is hooked to the TV but unfortunately ATI are still living in the dark ages and won't pump out stereoscopic.

That said 3d added nothing to the gameplay - but the graphics did seem better (maybe being too dark is a good thing on console).

I'm just curious, how could any game look better in 3D than it does in in 2D? It seems like it would have half the brightness, half the effective refresh rate (per eye), and much lower performance since the scene is being rendered from two perspectives. But it sounds like it must work better than I'm imagining.

31. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC Nov 22, 2011, 21:06 killer_roach

wrlwnd wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 19:35:
Uh, if you don't have a DX11 card, then how do you know DX11 isn't busted?

Oh, it's the "it works for me so everything's great" fanboy chant.

Good for you.

Probably still one of those "DX11 doesn't work in XP, so why bother?" sorts of gripes.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo