Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

AMD/ATI Catalyst 11.11a Performance Drivers

AMD now offers a new version Catalyst version 11.11a performance drivers for ATI/AMD graphics cards. The new drivers offer various performance improvements for Batman: Arkham City, RAGE, Battlefield 3, and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst 11.11a Performance Drivers Nov 22, 2011, 20:46 Ant

skyguy wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 19:50:
Ant wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 17:33:
Why so big? Is this a new driver or an upgrade?

1) it's a full driver, and 2) the beta versions of the ATI drivers include both 64-bit and 32-bit drivers, which is why they're larger than the release drivers.

Why beta drivers are packaged differently than release drivers, I have no idea.
Beta drivers??? I thought it was updated final drivers.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst 11.11a Performance Drivers Nov 22, 2011, 19:50 skyguy

Ant wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 17:33:

1) it's a full driver, and 2) the beta versions of the ATI drivers include both 64-bit and 32-bit drivers, which is why they're larger than the release drivers.

Why beta drivers are packaged differently than release drivers, I have no idea.

13. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst 11.11a Performance Drivers Nov 22, 2011, 17:33 Ant

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

12. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst 11.11a Performance Drivers Nov 22, 2011, 13:15 Despoiler

Shineyguy wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 01:28:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 00:04:
Sigh. AMD really needs to get their shit together. Skyrim, one of the year's biggest releases, came out over a week ago and they have yet to add working Crossfire support. What's the point in spending $700 for dual GPU setups if the drivers just disable Crossfire?

The fact that dual-GPUs on the nVidia side does almost nil for performance; I don't think they're missing much.

Only thing SLI allows me to do is jack up AA, and at higher resolutions AA gets to be more and more a non-issue.

The game is cpu bound so this makes sense.

11. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst 11.11a Performance Drivers Nov 22, 2011, 12:24 Jerykk

When Crossfire actually works, it typically gives me a 50-70% performance boost, which is great. Unfortunately, it doesn't work all the time.  

10. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst 11.11a Performance Drivers Nov 22, 2011, 10:43 Joss

Yep, good for me too. I'm in favor of one gpu only.  

9. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst 11.11a Performance Drivers Nov 22, 2011, 09:07 LittleMe

Plays perfectly fine in BF3 here.  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

8. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst 11.11a Performance Drivers Nov 22, 2011, 04:02 Jackplug

I never touch the 1st changes, best to go for the 3rd one along.  

7. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst 11.11a Performance Drivers Nov 22, 2011, 02:48 Dev

Shineyguy wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 01:28:
Sigh. AMD really needs to get their shit together. Skyrim, one of the year's biggest releases, came out over a week ago and they have yet to add working Crossfire support. What's the point in spending $700 for dual GPU setups if the drivers just disable Crossfire?

The fact that dual-GPUs on the nVidia side does almost nil for performance; I don't think they're missing much.

Only thing SLI allows me to do is jack up AA, and at higher resolutions AA gets to be more and more a non-issue.
On nvidia side, depending on resolution you can get up to 25% more performance.

I think part of the problem is this game is CPU bound.

Regardless, nvidia has usually has better support for SLI, including the ability to pick and choose and then force your own SLI modes if a driver hasn't been released to automatically choose. You'd think AMD would be more interested in better supporting their high end solutions, thats where they get a chunk of their profit after all.

6. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst 11.11a Performance Drivers Nov 22, 2011, 02:05 Krovven

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 01:59:
What the hell? Batman AC is out for PC already, or...?

Was released on Steam 2 hours before your post.

5. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst 11.11a Performance Drivers Nov 22, 2011, 01:59 Eldaron Imotholin

What the hell? Batman AC is out for PC already, or...?  

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

4. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst 11.11a Performance Drivers Nov 22, 2011, 01:28 Shineyguy

3. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst 11.11a Performance Drivers Nov 22, 2011, 00:04 Jerykk

2. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst 11.11a Performance Drivers Nov 21, 2011, 23:22 Calwen

It's worth noting that these drivers completely disable crossfire in Skyrim to prevent negative scaling. However, if you're running the dll that more or less fixes the crossfire problem, avoid these drivers at all costs. We'll have to wait until the end of the week for a real solution.  

1. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst 11.11a Performance Drivers Nov 21, 2011, 23:03 CrimsonPaw

... LOL, I JUST updated to the 11.11's Saturday night. Oh AMD, you're killing me (though I did notice worse performance after I upgraded, hopefully this will fix those issues).  
~~Crim~~

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo