Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Eidos-Montreal Expands, New Hitman Game Plans

Square Enix announces the expansion of their Eidos-Montreal studio, saying they are adding 100 new positions to allow the studio to work on a third project, as they are already cranking away on the Deus Ex and Thief franchises. They also announce the creation of Square Enix Montreal, a second studio in the area which will be a second contributor to IO Interactive's Hitman series:

MONTREAL, Nov. 21, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The Square Enix Group, an integrated entertainment group, has today announced plans for further expansion in Montreal with the growth of its Eidos-Montreal studio and the creation of a new second studio, Square Enix Montreal, to open in 2012.

Eidos-Montreal, a studio which was established in 2007, released its first game, DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION™; to critical acclaim (Metacritic score of 90% for PC and 89% for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 as of November 20, 2011) earlier this year. DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION, which has to date shipped over 2 million units worldwide, firmly cemented the studio's credentials in global development and delivered on its promise to produce AAA games. Eidos-Montreal will now create an additional 100 new jobs, driving work on a third AAA project at the studio, alongside the DEUS EX® and THIEF® franchises. The studio will also expand its state-of-the-art facilities, including in-house audio recording and motion tracking studios and a mini-theatre.

Plans unveiled today also confirmed the creation of Square Enix Montreal, a new second studio for the Square Enix Group in Montreal, which will open in 2012 and create 150 jobs. Tasked with building AAA games for tomorrow's audiences, the studio will be led by Lee Singleton, currently general manager of Square Enix London Studios. Singleton brings over 20 years studio management as well as direct development experience to this role.

The first project at Square Enix Montreal will be to work on a new premium quality game in the award-winning HITMAN® franchise. This further investment will expand the vision for the HITMAN franchise and mean that two studios will now be working on future HITMAN games: IO Interactive, a Square Enix studio based in Copenhagen, creator of the HITMAN franchise is currently developing HITMAN ABSOLUTION™ and now Square Enix Montreal also.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Eidos-Montreal Expands, New Hitman Game Plans Nov 22, 2011, 04:14 Jerykk

Not really sure why there would be licensing issues with Contract's soundtrack. If I recall correctly, it was all original music composed specifically for the game. The game was also published by Eidos, so it's not like a different publisher owns the rights to the game.

Edit: Apparently the song in question is this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwLOmgE1BVg

It was used in a bar in one level.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Eidos-Montreal Expands, New Hitman Game Plans Nov 22, 2011, 02:32 Dev

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 19:19:
Dev wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 17:45:
And why the heck aren't all the hitman games on steam? Its missing contracts.

There's a licensing issue with Contracts, something to do with music I think. Welcome to the wonderful world of digital distribution where licensing issues can make a game disappear.
Music is easy enough to change, its probably one of the easiest things to comply with a license issue. They could just replace it with the music from the other 3 hitman games, and I doubt most people would notice. I'd still buy it.

32. Re: Eidos-Montreal Expands, New Hitman Game Plans Nov 21, 2011, 21:23 StingingVelvet

Umbragen wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 20:10:
I guess it all depends on which way they go: The Dark Project, The Metal Age or Deadly Shadows. Each has it's pitfalls and pluses, but I have less faith in anyone's ability to pull off a successful sequel to this series. Why isn't there more information out on Thief 4?

They were dark while Deus Ex HR was still the highlight and marketing focus. Not surprising. Some leaked concept art showed it is still of the same visual style and setting.

31. Re: Eidos-Montreal Expands, New Hitman Game Plans Nov 21, 2011, 20:24 J

After DE:HR and seeing the preview trailer of Hitman, I can't help but think of Garrett with augmentations or magical thief intuition  

30. Re: Eidos-Montreal Expands, New Hitman Game Plans Nov 21, 2011, 20:10 Umbragen

I don't know if the world needs another Hitman game, it was never my thing, but if they want to spend the money to make it, whatever.

Thief, on the other hand....

I guess it all depends on which way they go: The Dark Project, The Metal Age or Deadly Shadows. Each has it's pitfalls and pluses, but I have less faith in anyone's ability to pull off a successful sequel to this series. Why isn't there more information out on Thief 4?

29. Re: Eidos-Montreal Expands, New Hitman Game Plans Nov 21, 2011, 19:22 RollinThundr

Jerykk wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 19:10:
Personally I've thought just about anything made by IO Interactive, has been extremely clunky feeling, unpolished and not very good. Hitman games included, to each their own I s'pose.

Do you like stealth games?

I do, Thief ranks up there as one of my favorite series, the earlier Splinter Cell games do as well. I've just never liked how the Hitman games "feel" I dunno maybe it's just me.

28. Re: Eidos-Montreal Expands, New Hitman Game Plans Nov 21, 2011, 19:19 StingingVelvet

Dev wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 17:45:

There's a licensing issue with Contracts, something to do with music I think. Welcome to the wonderful world of digital distribution where licensing issues can make a game disappear.

27. Re: Eidos-Montreal Expands, New Hitman Game Plans Nov 21, 2011, 19:18 StingingVelvet

Dev wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 17:41:
You realize that once you install the DLC, the graphical improvements ALSO patch and apply to the main game? Such as the improved tesselation, improved lighting, improved sky/weather, improved textures, etc.

Really? No, I did not realize that at all.

26. Re: Eidos-Montreal Expands, New Hitman Game Plans Nov 21, 2011, 19:10 Jerykk

Personally I've thought just about anything made by IO Interactive, has been extremely clunky feeling, unpolished and not very good. Hitman games included, to each their own I s'pose.

Do you like stealth games?

25. Re: Eidos-Montreal Expands, New Hitman Game Plans Nov 21, 2011, 19:01 RollinThundr

Jerykk wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 13:39:
The last Hitman game was terrible and the studio then went on to produce the human excrement that is the Kane & Lynch franchise.

Um, what? The last Hitman game was awesome. Most people agree it was the best in the series and easily one of the best stealth games ever made.

No disagreements about K&L being shite, though.

24. Re: Eidos-Montreal Expands, New Hitman Game Plans Nov 21, 2011, 18:15 DNForever

our DICKS ARE SO BIG. we are EXPANDING and making GAMES THAT RULE. check out how AWESOME OUR GAMES ARE  

23. Re: Eidos-Montreal Expands, New Hitman Game Plans Nov 21, 2011, 17:45 Dev

I recall a hitman game that less than impressed me that was one of the more recent ones. One of the big things for me was something about the weapons, like not having a weapons wall, or not being able to collect them all and use them all on all missions, or something. Its been too long since I played, I just remember something about the weapons collecting that bugged me.

Anyway, if they have a normal style hitman game with tons of ways to do the kills, and lots of weapons to collect and hang on the wall, I'll gladly buy it.

22. Re: Eidos-Montreal Expands, New Hitman Game Plans Nov 21, 2011, 17:41 Dev

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 16:21:
Dev wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 15:32:
Keep in mind that they also did significant graphical updates to the game in the missing link DLC. So it wasn't just a chunk of new content, it was an engine update complete with better textures. They didn't communicate this well, but they had valid reasons for pricing it that way.

Yeah, the DLC looked dramatically better, it was pretty surprising. I would kill for a patch or mod that put those improvements into the main game.
You realize that once you install the DLC, the graphical improvements ALSO patch and apply to the main game? Such as the improved tesselation, improved lighting, improved sky/weather, improved textures, etc.

21. Re: Eidos-Montreal Expands, New Hitman Game Plans Nov 21, 2011, 16:40 StingingVelvet

Frijoles wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 16:35:
When it came out, I wasn't sure how long it was. 7 hours is a good length. But $15 at the moment is still too high (since there are other games to play). I fully plan on buying it, though, when the price comes down. With us being so close to Black Friday and the Steam Christmas sale, I figure it will be cheaper and I will buy it at that time.

It's definitely superfluous content and not at all a real expansion, so waiting is probably the right thing to do. As a big fan of the game who got 7 more hours of it though, I can't say I feel ripped off.

20. Re: Eidos-Montreal Expands, New Hitman Game Plans Nov 21, 2011, 16:35 Frijoles

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 16:21:
And I'm not sure $15 was overpriced really, the DLC took me 7+ hours to complete, which is longer than many full price games.

When it came out, I wasn't sure how long it was. 7 hours is a good length. But $15 at the moment is still too high (since there are other games to play). I fully plan on buying it, though, when the price comes down. With us being so close to Black Friday and the Steam Christmas sale, I figure it will be cheaper and I will buy it at that time.

19. Re: Eidos-Montreal Expands, New Hitman Game Plans Nov 21, 2011, 16:30 Ray Ban

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 14:03:
Are they making any more DLC for HR? Kinda been holding off on picking it up until they are done.

I'm pretty sure they have plans for more DLC, since in The Missing Link you find maps of two previously unknown bases. One in Australia an one on the moon.

Alternatively, it could be a hint towards stuff in the sequel ...

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

18. Re: Eidos-Montreal Expands, New Hitman Game Plans Nov 21, 2011, 16:23 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 13:39:
No disagreements about K&L being shite, though.

They just weren't worth being full price titles, really. For the bargain prices I got the K&L games for I thoroughly enjoyed them... basic cover-based shooters with a Michael Mann meets Quentin Tarantino movie quality to them. Good for 5 hours of fun.

17. Re: Eidos-Montreal Expands, New Hitman Game Plans Nov 21, 2011, 16:21 StingingVelvet

Dev wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 15:32:
Keep in mind that they also did significant graphical updates to the game in the missing link DLC. So it wasn't just a chunk of new content, it was an engine update complete with better textures. They didn't communicate this well, but they had valid reasons for pricing it that way.

Yeah, the DLC looked dramatically better, it was pretty surprising. I would kill for a patch or mod that put those improvements into the main game. And I'm not sure $15 was overpriced really, the DLC took me 7+ hours to complete, which is longer than many full price games.

As for the topic at hand, good stuff. I hope the core team that did Human Revolution stays together for Thief 4 and then the sequel to Deus Ex though. Watering that team down might make the games suffer from a lack of clear direction.

16. Re: Eidos-Montreal Expands, New Hitman Game Plans Nov 21, 2011, 16:21 venomhed

A studio that needs a proven track record with multiple games before expanding.

Lets see how the next Thief comes out and if it can save the franchise. Lets see if their next move with DX:HR is less samey as the game, to me, got extremely repetitive after 10 hours to the point where I am losing interest, save for the great story.

They hit a home run with DX:HR I must admit, as it does feel like a DX game, but again, we need more examples of their work before expansion.

15. Re: Eidos-Montreal Expands, New Hitman Game Plans Nov 21, 2011, 15:55 Halo

nin wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 13:58:
Eidos-Montreal, a studio which was established in 2007, released its first game, DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION™;

Sequel please.

LOL isn't that DEUS Ex?

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo