Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's this week's report from Valve on the top 10 bestselling games on Steam:

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  3. Saint's Row The Third
  4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  5. Anno 2070
  6. Sins of a Solar Empire: Trilogy
  7. Batman: Arkham City
  8. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Game of the Year Edition
  9. Magicka Collection
  10. Football Manager 2012

View
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

50. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 11:46 Kythlyn

My character is pretty much pure mage... destruction, conjuration and restoration get most of my perks. Started putting points into Alchemy too which, btw, is a great way to make some coin. I was able to easily make about 100 potions that I could sell for 50-150 gold pieces each. The trick is finding vendors to sell them to (one good way is train alchemy at Whiterun and then sell your potions to get the money you spent training back--careful though, if you leave the building her gold resets to her current max and the gold you gave her to train will be gone).

But I've been surprised to see how high in level some of my other skills are, even without perks... my lockpicking is over 40 and my enchanting is over 50. Also, I'm pretty much out of perks I want to take in my main trees... only level 30. Might actually put some points into Enchanting or Speechcraft now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 11:38 Ratty

Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 11:17:
I think if you overpower yourself in this game, it becomes boring way too quickly. If you don't go for the 100 smithing and enchanting, and don't give yourself Godly Armor of Unkillability, it remains much more of a challenge.
That's pretty hard not to do. The ONLY skills I have actively developed are Archery and Smithing. My high Stealth just came along for the ride. Didn't train or grind and it's already at 100. So if I'm only actively developing two out of eighteen skills, how could that be considered power leveling? The only alternative is to become a jack of all trades and develop a little bit of every skill but I find the rest of them boring. That's reverse grinding: actively doing boring things in the game to simply NOT develop specific skills.

In Oblivion there was a true power-leveling technique: choosing main skills you rarely used so you could level when you wanted to. In Skyrim - thankfully - that option is gone. But it's still too easy to become overpowered.

48. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 11:36 Verno

Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 11:32:
Kythlyn wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 11:30:
I came across a bug where a companion NPC decided to take a walk across half of Skyrim... so I followed. Along the way I came across 3 dragons in less than an hour. They're pretty freakin' common if you just go wandering.

Not to me they aren't, and I run everywhere. I rarely fast travel, unless it's a quest where they send me from Riften to Markath and back. Most everywhere else, I just run (500 stamina FTW!) and I'm not getting anywhere near that many Dragons. :-weird-:

Creston

I've seen probably 12-14 dragons total and I've only managed to play about 28 hours, about half of that spent indoors. They are fairly common on peaks, there are some static ones you can hear about or see on the map and there are town invasions of which I've seen 3 so far.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

47. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 11:35 Kythlyn

Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 11:32:
Not to me they aren't, and I run everywhere. I rarely fast travel, unless it's a quest where they send me from Riften to Markath and back. Most everywhere else, I just run (500 stamina FTW!) and I'm not getting anywhere near that many Dragons. :-weird-:

Creston

I think it is affected by how far along you are in the main quest and what level you are... Also, I often come across dragons immediately after fast traveling. It's as if the game is just ready to send one after me, because if I die and fast travel somewhere else, the same dragon often appears at the other location.

46. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 11:32 Creston

Kythlyn wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 11:30:
I came across a bug where a companion NPC decided to take a walk across half of Skyrim... so I followed. Along the way I came across 3 dragons in less than an hour. They're pretty freakin' common if you just go wandering.

Creston

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 11:30 Kythlyn

I wish there was something else to spend souls on...

44. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 11:17 Creston

How many dragons are you people seeing? On Saturday I got attacked by a total of two random dragons, and that was in a marathon 14 hour session of playing. And in most cases, unless they happen to jump you, you CAN just run away (or even choose not to engage.)

I've beaten quite a few dragons, but that's because I actively seek out the Shout Stones (whatever they're called) in the wilderness, and they always have a Dragon with them.

Power wise they're a little lacking, but that's more because of foolish AI than because they're wimps. I'd gotten one down on the ground and got a little too close to him, and he crit-killed me by snapping me up with his gargantuan beak, shaking me around like a puppy does with a toy, then throwing me against the nearest mountain—which was about half a mile away. It was pretty damn epic.

And then I ran into one Shout Stone where the dragon attacked me kinda early, and I had no cover anywhere. So I run towards the Stone, thinking to hide behind it, and a frakking Dragon Priest wakes up! Yeah, that was a bit too much for my archer to handle. Especially since that priest had a staff of frakking fireballs!

I think if you overpower yourself in this game, it becomes boring way too quickly. If you don't go for the 100 smithing and enchanting, and don't give yourself Godly Armor of Unkillability, it remains much more of a challenge. I'm wearing the Nightingale armor, and if I get jumped by a few bears, I still have to work a bit to stay alive. And Dragons are still eminently capable of killing me (well, the flame ones are. The frost ones are kind of powerless against that armor.) I much prefer it that way.

Btw, bethesda's "If a shopkeeper dies, a family member will take over" deal seems to be bunk. It's been months (in game time) since Riverwood's blacksmith died, and nobody has shown up to replace him. though maybe that has to do with the fact his wife also died.

Oh, and I LOVE that Dragons can kill NPCs, even quest ones. The really important quest NPCs can't be killed (or are in towns that can't be attacked), but all those minor ones? Free fodder. It helps for immersion. I felt genuinely shitty when the blacksmith and his wife died.

So it breaks a quest. So what? I have about 80 quests in my log, are you really gonna miss one or two? :p

Creston

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 2011, 11:30.

43. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 11:11 Ratty

Dirwulf wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 02:03:
PHJF wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 01:42:
Too bad magic is still so poorly done. Destruction is weak and everything else is pointless and boring. Playing a mage I couldn't kill a fucking thing until I got the archmage equipment, and even now the only reason I kill anything is because of broken-ass perk that hitstuns every enemy in the game.

My mage kicks some serious ass. Conjure an atronoch, shoot fireballs, and watch the faces melt. I also have a staff that summons a Daedric. The wards are also very useful against other casters. I use calm a lot too. Turn undead. I don't know how you find this stuff weak and pointless.
In Oblivion I was constantly developing my magic skills but just never used them. This time in Skyrim I'm not putting a thing into any magic skill. It's not an RPG, I'm-not-a-magic-user kind of thing like it is with some people, it's just experience telling me that's not the way I play.

Like Oblivion, I only use bow and arrow and I'm insanely powerful at it now. Unlike Oblivion, I find this incarnation of Alchemy boring and after playing the game picking anything and everything I came across only to store it in a chest at home, I've given up on it. With regenerating health there's less of a need for it (I have yet to use any restore health potion). Poisons don't look as fun as they did in Oblivion - fewer effects to play around with. Sad, cause I really loved Alchemy. But smithing makes up for it so overall I'm happy.

42. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 11:03 Verno

Quests are usually chained and NPCs who represent a step can certainly die, I've seen it happen several times now. Dragons AOE breath likely ignores NPCs asking for mercy by the way which is how most of them die I assume. As an example, I had a quest to retrieve an item from an orc outpost and when I arrived there was a dragon attack underway. One of the orcs died and the quest immediately failed. A dragon also managed to depopulate half of Riverwind in my game, including a few people involved in quests. It's a bit odd how the game treats everything related to quests and companions. Some monsters will ignore my companion when they go down on one knee but others will just kill them. Oh well, it wouldn't be an Elder Scrolls game without funky NPCs and scripting.  

41. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 10:54 InBlack

I can confirm that most quest givers are unkillable. This applies not only to the main quest line but to the non-random quests as well.

I found this out yesterday. While traveling to a perform a contract killing (heheh) I encountered two of the "Companions" in the wilderness duking it out with an Ice Troll. I think it was the Huntress and one of those twin brothers, cant remember which one. The smart one I think.

In any case this was miles away from Whiterun in the middle of nowhere and was one of those WoW AI Moments. I mean how cool is that, NPCs venturing out in the wilderness to fight monsters and shit.

And then the Ice Troll proceded to kick the shit out of them.

Repeatedly, since they couldnt die. They would go to their knees, the Ice Troll would ignore them, and then they would get up again only to get wasted away in one or two hits.

Needless to say, I was dissapointed and my immersion was completely broken.

Someone needs to mod those undying NPCs out of this game ASAP!.

I have a nifty blue line!

40. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 10:02 wtf_man

Since I have way more Dragon Souls absorbed than Shouts to unlock... it is an issue, especially when they are in the path of a side quest that I'm immersed in. So, using the mod to turn them off for now works for me... I'll disable the mod when I need more souls.

I guess it's just personal preference.

I would rather they appear randomly ONCE, after you find a new shout to unlock.... then don't appear again unless you find another shout (or being a story-line Dragon).

39. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 09:55 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 09:50:
I don't think any of the main quest npcs are killable unless the quest is at that point so its really a non issue... unless you want 100% completion.. i guess..

Some people don't just want to complete the main quest alone so yes it's certainly an issue. Some of the best quests in the game have nothing to do with the main storyline and started by totally random people without any preamble. In fact going by this thread the main quest is a secondary concern for a lot of people. Thankfully most of the NPCs seem relatively tough and can take a beating plus the dragons seems to attack mostly outpost style towns.

I hope people aren't skipping books by the way, I've found several quests from books just laying around on shelves in stores/bars/etc.

38. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 09:50 eRe4s3r

I don't think any of the main quest npcs are killable unless the quest is at that point so its really a non issue... unless you want 100% completion.. i guess..  

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 09:42 Bhruic

I don't really see the problem with the dragon numbers, most of the time you don't get forced into fighting them - at least, I don't. If I want to engage (and I usually do), then I can, otherwise, I can flee the scene.

Having them able to kill quest NPCs is a more significant concern - luckily I haven't had that happen (that I know of). More likely only a concern with the town-attacking variety.

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 09:41 Verno

jomisab wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 09:22:
Yep...a random one killed Roggi Knot-Beard in Kynesgrove on me. I didn't think anything of it at first, and then a few levels later I researched him and found out he can be a companion. Luckily, I was able to use the resurrect command from the console to bring him back. After I rested for 24 hours, he offered up his quest to retrieve his shield.

Yeah I had to laugh when I heard a ruckus in town while visiting Riverwind, I was about to sneak into someones place to burglarize it. Sure enough when I got to the front of town it turned out to be a dragon and it killed poor Alvor the blacksmith along with 3 other NPCs.

Why are there so many empty mills? It seems like they were going to do more with mills and food but stopped short. No associated cooking skills and there is a fully animated milling game portion that doesn't seem to do anything except produce wood you sell for 5 septims.

35. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 09:22 jomisab

Verno wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 09:07:
I like the dragon stuff but the scripting for it is very basic and easily gamed. I think the problem with the encounter rate is that there are some static ones in the world combined with the spawned ones and the town invasions. The town invasions are cool but they can kill quest NPCs which is kind of cool but also a bit alarming.

Yep...a random one killed Roggi Knot-Beard in Kynesgrove on me. I didn't think anything of it at first, and then a few levels later I researched him and found out he can be a companion. Luckily, I was able to use the resurrect command from the console to bring him back. After I rested for 24 hours, he offered up his quest to retrieve his shield.

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 09:21 wtf_man

jdreyer wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 02:19:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 02:13:
I wish the dragon encounters weren't so routine. Instead of having you fight 100 weak dragons, they should have only made a handful of epic level dragons.

I totally agree. But don't worry, soon there will be a mod for that.

There already is a mod for it:
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=644

I installed this because I was getting annoyed with the frequency of random dragons appearing. It doesn't stop the tougher named ones that are part of the story.

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 09:07 Verno

I like the dragon stuff but the scripting for it is very basic and easily gamed. I think the problem with the encounter rate is that there are some static ones in the world combined with the spawned ones and the town invasions. The town invasions are cool but they can kill quest NPCs which is kind of cool but also a bit alarming.  

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 08:47 Mashiki Amiketo

peteham wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 04:06:
And these are randomly appearing ones? I'm not that far into the game yet (mid 20s now), but getting one-shot by random encounters sounds somewhat annoying, and a repeat of Oblivion's horrible level-scaling.
Yep, those are randomly appearing ones. I do have to agree that the level scaling needs working on, especially HP's and resistances.

Oh they do happen, it seems that a lot of the dragons in the 10's through 30's are there so you can build up your souls to buy your shouts. Later on they're tough as hell. Once we get the toolset, it'll probably be one of the first mods you see out there. I've looked via tessnip, but there's problems with getting things properly working. My mods of the dragons just CTD out. Prolly because some script is being incorrectly saved.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 08:29 theyarecomingforyou

PHJF wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 01:42:
Too bad magic is still so poorly done. Destruction is weak and everything else is pointless and boring. Playing a mage I couldn't kill a fucking thing until I got the archmage equipment, and even now the only reason I kill anything is because of broken-ass perk that hitstuns every enemy in the game.
Actually, I think magic is a bit overpowered. Destruction magic is incredibly effective with just some of the basic spells, though I suggest using alchemy to make potions - either to use or to sell to buy better ones. Long before the archmage equipment I had decent necromancer robes and could take down dragons in less than 10 seconds (easier in open areas). If you're having trouble I'd higher recommend grabbing a side-kick; a mage is quite effective.

I dunno what it is but I find conjuration a lot less effective than in Oblivion, where most of the time I would use summons to distract most enemies. Now it's just not worth the time, even with dual-wielding effectively making it free to have equipped. I think the problem is that by making spells more powerful when combined it reduces your desire to try different combinations, like fire + summon. I tend to stick to firebolt / incineration dual-wielding, varying things up with shouts.

And yeah, dragons definitely occur far too frequently. They were incredibly impressive at first but they've definitely lost their appeal. I came across a named dragon pretty early on - less than level 25 - and didn't find it any more challenging. The biggest problem is that they all use pretty much the same tactics and so can be taken down in the same way.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo