Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Persistent Scrolls

IGN has word from a MineCon presentation from Mojang, on Scrolls, their upcoming card-style strategy game. They outline what they did and did not explain about the persistent aspect of the game: "In the same presentation Mojang's Jakob Porser stated that Scrolls would require players to be online to play. The demo shown allowed him to face off against an A.I., and it isn't known if a connection will be required at all times whether or not you're playing against an A.I. opponent."

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Persistent Scrolls Nov 20, 2011, 20:27 RenownWolf

I do not seeing this hitting the popularity that Minecraft did.

Reminds me of Stardock doing so well with Sins and then failing with their next few products (especially their latest game).

Greatly interested to see what level of success the game gains, but I am not interested in playing it really. Maybe try it, but doubtful.

http://www.renownwolf.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Persistent Scrolls Nov 20, 2011, 15:13 Razumen

Wetworks wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 11:56:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 11:43:
Is there a nitch for them on the PC? Maybe so, since Legends is taking off and DoTa is doing so well.

LoL and Dota 2 are free to play. This is a collectable card game that requires you to constantly buy new cards or sub to a monthly plan.

A lot will depend on their pricing structure, but more often than not ccg are a huge money sink. The only implementation I like are the Magic the Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers series. You get 10 themed decks plus unlockables for $10. Other decks and game modes are added as expansions for $3-$5.

You can win new cards from ranked battles, you won't necessarily have to purchase new ones.

12. Re: Persistent Scrolls Nov 20, 2011, 14:42 Vulkan

Esoteric wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 12:13:
Really liking this game so far. Besides some CTDs, I haven't experienced any bugs at all. The atmosphere is great, and there are so many quests!

Oh you.

11. Re: Persistent Scrolls Nov 20, 2011, 12:13 Esoteric

Really liking this game so far. Besides some CTDs, I haven't experienced any bugs at all. The atmosphere is great, and there are so many quests!  

10. Re: Persistent Scrolls Nov 20, 2011, 11:56 Wetworks

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 11:43:
Is there a nitch for them on the PC? Maybe so, since Legends is taking off and DoTa is doing so well.

LoL and Dota 2 are free to play. This is a collectable card game that requires you to constantly buy new cards or sub to a monthly plan.

A lot will depend on their pricing structure, but more often than not ccg are a huge money sink. The only implementation I like are the Magic the Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers series. You get 10 themed decks plus unlockables for $10. Other decks and game modes are added as expansions for $3-$5.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 2011, 12:06.

9. Re: Persistent Scrolls Nov 20, 2011, 11:55 CommunistHamster

Dirwulf wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 11:36:
CommunistHamster wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 10:04:
DarkCntry wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 09:49:
CommunistHamster wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 09:28:
I really can't see this taking off. It's just a MtG ripoff.

Yea those half-dozen or so other TCG-style games just aren't popular either.......
... they are? I am not aware of any. Please give examples.

I guess you never heard of Pokemon or Yu-gi-oh?

List of collectible card games
Yeah, but those a) have a kids cartoon show to market them b) are for kids who spend their pocket money and c) have been over for 10 years afaik.

I'm not aware of any computer based TcGs that are even remotely popular.

8. Re: Persistent Scrolls Nov 20, 2011, 11:43 xXBatmanXx

Dirwulf wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 11:36:

Yea those half-dozen or so other TCG-style games just aren't popular either.......

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Re: Persistent Scrolls Nov 20, 2011, 11:36 Dirwulf

6. Re: Persistent Scrolls Nov 20, 2011, 10:04 CommunistHamster

5. Re: Persistent Scrolls Nov 20, 2011, 09:56 Wetworks

Here's a scrolls gameplay video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da-xIr_rduE

Games looks pretty bleh so far, not sure what their pricing plan is going to be. Probably purchasing the game and then either booster packs or a monthly sub. Neither of those options appeal to me.

4. Re: Persistent Scrolls Nov 20, 2011, 09:49 DarkCntry

3. Re: Persistent Scrolls Nov 20, 2011, 09:28 CommunistHamster

2. Re: Persistent Scrolls Nov 20, 2011, 02:49 Razumen

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 00:03:
LOL!

I am about to suffer a hernia from laughing. After all the indie cred from Minecraft and Bethesda/big corporate gaming hate for the Scrolls nonsense lawsuit that was floating around, they come out with always online DRM(most likely).

What a joke, hope this game fails utterly.

From what I've read it seems like playing against other people is the main focus, and the only (non-paying) way to get new scrolls, so having to be online for that is pretty much a no brainer. Most likely it'll use the Minecraft model where you have to login to receive updates or play online, and no one complains about that.

1. Re: Persistent Scrolls Nov 20, 2011, 00:03 MoreLuckThanSkill

LOL!

I am about to suffer a hernia from laughing. After all the indie cred from Minecraft and Bethesda/big corporate gaming hate for the Scrolls nonsense lawsuit that was floating around, they come out with always online DRM(most likely).

What a joke, hope this game fails utterly.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo