Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hard Reset Interview

The Hard Reset Interview on truepcgaming talks with the developers at Flying Wild Hog about their cyberpunk first-person shooter. Much of the conversation focuses on their outlook as a PC developer. Here's a bit on their outlook on DRM: "In my opinion DRM is nonsense. It’s as if you would buy a book, and after you read it 2 or 3 times, it would self-destruct. I’m a gamer myself and I want to install my game how many times I want – I paid for it and it’s my property. When it comes to piracy – piracy is the act of illegally copying a game/software and then SELLING it to other people making profit on the illegally copied content. Most people who download ‘pirated’ games still buy retail versions. And this has been proved several times."

View
13. Re: Hard Reset Interview Nov 20, 2011, 16:40 mag

Mad Max RW wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 16:23:
With Steam you pay money, download, and own the game to your account forever. What's the big deal? Afraid of getting your account hacked or lost forever? Don't be a retard by falling for obvious scams or pirating games on Steam. Problem solved.
I haven't paid for music since cassette tapes ruled the market. iTunes and every other way of paying for one song or album or whatever they do now is ridiculous. Way too expensive for what they offer. But you're comparing apples to oranges.

I personally have no problems with Steam or any other form of digital distribution I've used. Most brick and mortar stores stopped carrying PC games or constantly turn around their stock, never holding onto older titles. Steam has a huge library, has sales if you're patient, and automatic patching.

The only people who truly hate the service are either pirates or just plain ignorant. Don't like being connected online? Set it to launch in offline mode. You still need a connection at some point to simply purchase and download a digital copy of anything anywhere, which completely negates the argument.

Is some obscure re-released game on Steam inferior to the original? This is why you research before you buy. Check the forums. Ask questions. Another argument negated and a valuable life lesson gained.

Does Steam run slowly and you think it's bloated? Fix your crappy computer. I've been using it since launch and it runs flawlessly because I have a flawless computer.

Really the only legit complaint comes from people (myself included) who miss having a physical copy of a game with a nice box, manual, and other goodies they can hold in their hand. But that's not Steam's fault. Blame the horrible chain stores who decided to cut down their PC section to a single shelf loaded with Warcraft and Sims games.

I don't pirate games, and I use Steam because it's the only option, but it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I'm old enough to have a collection of games dating back a couple of decades, and I like the fact that I can go back and play almost any of them if I really want to. I'm also old enough to know that Valve is not going to survive forever in its current form. There's absolutely no guarantee that any of us are going to continue to have access to our games five or ten years from now.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Nov 19, 16:23 Re: Hard Reset Interview Mad Max RW
  2. Nov 19, 16:53  Re: Hard Reset Interview Rattlehead
  3. Nov 19, 17:58 Re: Hard Reset Interview StingingVelvet
  4. Nov 19, 18:49  Re: Hard Reset Interview Kajetan
  5. Nov 20, 00:25 Re: Hard Reset Interview Hump
  6. Nov 20, 04:40  Re: Hard Reset Interview Prez
  7. Nov 20, 10:11   Re: Hard Reset Interview Tom
  8. Nov 20, 10:50    Re: Hard Reset Interview Prez
  9. Nov 20, 12:43    Re: Hard Reset Interview StingingVelvet
  10. Nov 20, 13:49     Re: Hard Reset Interview Mad Max RW