Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hard Reset Interview

The Hard Reset Interview on truepcgaming talks with the developers at Flying Wild Hog about their cyberpunk first-person shooter. Much of the conversation focuses on their outlook as a PC developer. Here's a bit on their outlook on DRM: "In my opinion DRM is nonsense. It’s as if you would buy a book, and after you read it 2 or 3 times, it would self-destruct. I’m a gamer myself and I want to install my game how many times I want – I paid for it and it’s my property. When it comes to piracy – piracy is the act of illegally copying a game/software and then SELLING it to other people making profit on the illegally copied content. Most people who download ‘pirated’ games still buy retail versions. And this has been proved several times."

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Hard Reset Interview Nov 21, 2011, 10:18 Mad Max RW

Kajetan wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 02:28:
Mad Max RW wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 19:02:
That isn't even remotely true.
You are a troll, sir.

You are a misinformed child.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Hard Reset Interview Nov 21, 2011, 09:35 nin

Mostly the EULA is just a piece of text.

And a contract you're agreeing to.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

21. Re: Hard Reset Interview Nov 21, 2011, 09:09 Verno

nin wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 16:51:
You own games when you buy a disc with an offline copy protection. You own games when you buy game data with no DRM involved.

Actually (in most cases), that's a license, too. Read the EULA.

If you go by the terms of most EULA then the company in question probably owns your soul/firstborn/etc.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

20. Re: Hard Reset Interview Nov 21, 2011, 02:31 Kajetan

You own games when you buy a disc with an offline copy protection. You own games when you buy game data with no DRM involved.

Mostly the EULA is just a piece of text. A publisher cant take away my game when i bought it on a disc. In case of Steam and others the EULA is enforceable, the publisher CAN take away the licence i rented.

19. Re: Hard Reset Interview Nov 21, 2011, 02:28 Kajetan

Mad Max RW wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 19:02:
You are a troll, sir.

18. Re: Hard Reset Interview Nov 20, 2011, 20:29 Hump

doesn't matter, hard media will be all but gone within 3 years and any right of first sale we had will be a memory.

We can complain till we're blue but as long as we keep buying and agreeing to their shit EULA's we'll keep getting fucked.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

17. Re: Hard Reset Interview Nov 20, 2011, 19:02 Mad Max RW

Kajetan wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 16:45:
You own NOTHING! You rent a licence. You own a game, when no third party is capable of removing this game. You own games when you buy a disc with an offline copy protection. You own games when you buy game data with no DRM involved.

16. Re: Hard Reset Interview Nov 20, 2011, 17:37 mag

Discs have a license, but it's pretty unrevokable in the absence online activation.

15. Re: Hard Reset Interview Nov 20, 2011, 16:51 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

14. Re: Hard Reset Interview Nov 20, 2011, 16:45 Kajetan

Mad Max RW wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 16:23:
With Steam you pay money, download, and own the game to your account forever.
You own NOTHING! You rent a licence. You own a game, when no third party is capable of removing this game. You own games when you buy a disc with an offline copy protection. You own games when you buy game data with no DRM involved.

I have two dozen games in my Steam account, I like Steam for being a very comfortable and convinient distribution plattform. But i do not own games on Steam unless i remove the Steam integration with a crack. THEN i own the games i bought. Before, i just rent them.

13. Re: Hard Reset Interview Nov 20, 2011, 16:40 mag

Mad Max RW wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 16:23:
With Steam you pay money, download, and own the game to your account forever. What's the big deal? Afraid of getting your account hacked or lost forever? Don't be a retard by falling for obvious scams or pirating games on Steam. Problem solved.
I haven't paid for music since cassette tapes ruled the market. iTunes and every other way of paying for one song or album or whatever they do now is ridiculous. Way too expensive for what they offer. But you're comparing apples to oranges.

I personally have no problems with Steam or any other form of digital distribution I've used. Most brick and mortar stores stopped carrying PC games or constantly turn around their stock, never holding onto older titles. Steam has a huge library, has sales if you're patient, and automatic patching.

The only people who truly hate the service are either pirates or just plain ignorant. Don't like being connected online? Set it to launch in offline mode. You still need a connection at some point to simply purchase and download a digital copy of anything anywhere, which completely negates the argument.

Is some obscure re-released game on Steam inferior to the original? This is why you research before you buy. Check the forums. Ask questions. Another argument negated and a valuable life lesson gained.

Does Steam run slowly and you think it's bloated? Fix your crappy computer. I've been using it since launch and it runs flawlessly because I have a flawless computer.

Really the only legit complaint comes from people (myself included) who miss having a physical copy of a game with a nice box, manual, and other goodies they can hold in their hand. But that's not Steam's fault. Blame the horrible chain stores who decided to cut down their PC section to a single shelf loaded with Warcraft and Sims games.

I don't pirate games, and I use Steam because it's the only option, but it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I'm old enough to have a collection of games dating back a couple of decades, and I like the fact that I can go back and play almost any of them if I really want to. I'm also old enough to know that Valve is not going to survive forever in its current form. There's absolutely no guarantee that any of us are going to continue to have access to our games five or ten years from now.

12. Re: Hard Reset Interview Nov 20, 2011, 16:23 Mad Max RW

With Steam you pay money, download, and own the game to your account forever. What's the big deal? Afraid of getting your account hacked or lost forever? Don't be a retard by falling for obvious scams or pirating games on Steam. Problem solved.
I haven't paid for music since cassette tapes ruled the market. iTunes and every other way of paying for one song or album or whatever they do now is ridiculous. Way too expensive for what they offer. But you're comparing apples to oranges.

I personally have no problems with Steam or any other form of digital distribution I've used. Most brick and mortar stores stopped carrying PC games or constantly turn around their stock, never holding onto older titles. Steam has a huge library, has sales if you're patient, and automatic patching.

The only people who truly hate the service are either pirates or just plain ignorant. Don't like being connected online? Set it to launch in offline mode. You still need a connection at some point to simply purchase and download a digital copy of anything anywhere, which completely negates the argument.

Is some obscure re-released game on Steam inferior to the original? This is why you research before you buy. Check the forums. Ask questions. Another argument negated and a valuable life lesson gained.

Does Steam run slowly and you think it's bloated? Fix your crappy computer. I've been using it since launch and it runs flawlessly because I have a flawless computer.

Really the only legit complaint comes from people (myself included) who miss having a physical copy of a game with a nice box, manual, and other goodies they can hold in their hand. But that's not Steam's fault. Blame the horrible chain stores who decided to cut down their PC section to a single shelf loaded with Warcraft and Sims games.

11. Re: Hard Reset Interview Nov 20, 2011, 15:53 StingingVelvet

Mad Max RW wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 13:49:
What would you prefer? Should the developer come to your house and hand you a copy of the game? Then it means you have to manually install a hard copy and that's also heresy to another group of morons. How about they come to your house, install the game for free, and be on call 24 hours a day for the rest of your life ready to reinstall the game at a moment's notice. No DRM, no questions asked, and definitely no money involved. Making money is evil, too.

What the fuck are you going on about? How about you pay money, get a download link, and own the game forever. The GOG method, the Gamersgate method when games are DRM free, the Direct2Drive method when games are DRM free.

This idea that digital distribution necessitates DRM is ridiculous. Did you like iTunes when it used DRM more than now, when they have realized it's pointless customer bashing and stopped using it?

10. Re: Hard Reset Interview Nov 20, 2011, 13:49 Mad Max RW

What would you prefer? Should the developer come to your house and hand you a copy of the game? Then it means you have to manually install a hard copy and that's also heresy to another group of morons. How about they come to your house, install the game for free, and be on call 24 hours a day for the rest of your life ready to reinstall the game at a moment's notice. No DRM, no questions asked, and definitely no money involved. Making money is evil, too.  

9. Re: Hard Reset Interview Nov 20, 2011, 12:43 StingingVelvet

Tom wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 10:11:
"Steam is DRM" ... uh huh, your view isn't any narrower than his eh?

Steam is a service in which you give up some things to get some other things. Clearly most people have found the tradeoff to be in their favor.

No matter what it gives you (and personally it gives me nothing) it is still DRM. If a murderer hands you millions of dollars, a great blowjob and a t-bone steak before she kills you, she's still a murderer. I'm not even saying Steam is BAD or EVIL or whatever else people here like to pretend I say, I'm just saying it is certainly DRM. Therefore saying "we don't like DRM" or "we don't use DRM" and then making your game exclusive to a DRM platform is... weird, stupid, hypocritical, whatever.

Hard Reset is sold on Gamersgate which has DRM free games on it. Hard Reset is not DRM free there, it requires activation through Steam. Therefore, hypocritical.

8. Re: Hard Reset Interview Nov 20, 2011, 10:50 Prez

Tom wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 10:11:

Steam is a service in which you give up some things to get some other things. Clearly most people have found the tradeoff to be in their favor.

I do, so much so that I've effectively stopped looking at it as DRM and use it as my number one way to acquire new games.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: Hard Reset Interview Nov 20, 2011, 10:11 Tom

6. Re: Hard Reset Interview Nov 20, 2011, 04:40 Prez

Steam is DRM to be sure, but I don't think he sees it that way. He is viewing Steam, it would seem, as solely a distribution platform. He seems to be talking specifically about excessively restrictive DRM as illustrated by his self-destructing book example.

As far as the game, I tried it and was stunned by it's beauty, but haven't gone back to it yet. I will as soon as I need a pure shooter fix.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Hard Reset Interview Nov 20, 2011, 00:25 Hump

They obviously tried to make a game on a low budget in order to get more working capital. It may have been limited in some ways but overall they know how to make a fun old school shooter. It was certainly more fun than much of the dreck thats been released so far this year at full retail prices. Hopefully next time they'll get a bigger budget  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

4. Re: Hard Reset Interview Nov 19, 2011, 18:49 Kajetan

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 17:58:
Super hypocritical considering the game uses Steam no matter where you buy it. Even if you love Steam it is still DRM. Make Steam optional for Hard Reset and then you won't sound like a hypocrite.
Yup. Make your peace with your former coworkers from CD Project and sell this shit on GOG.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo