Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Bitmob - Metacritic isnít the problem. Gamers are.
Metacritic itself isn't the problem, but people who slavishly believe an aggregate score -- or indeed, any numerical value absent of context -- are. If you make decisions purely off a metascore, you've essentially surrendered your ability to make decisions to 30-odd strangers who don't agree with each other. Basing an opinion off a metascore means you don't have an opinion at all. You have a number determined by a calculator, and you don't even know why it's that particular number. Congratulations.

VideoGameWriters.com - The problem with the Spike Video Game Awards.
I present to you, fellow gamers, the following question: Why should the gaming industry, which is a first class industry providing first class entertainment, be accorded a third-class award show year after year? Iím not saying there is no place for Spikeís VGAs, but they are truly the equivalent of the MTV Movie Awards. Something, I might add, very few people outside of MTV and the 15-24 demographic find remotely relevant. As I have stated in the past, it is rather difficult to make the case for video games as a mature, relevant art form when the VGAs are our annual celebration. Thank you for propagating the stereotype, Spike TV, bang up work there.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Op Ed Nov 20, 2011, 17:37 Quboid

psulli wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 12:28:
The idea that the payola-laden, ethically-challenged industry of video game journalism is indicting their own customers is revolting.

As soon as game journalist establish some balls versus handing out 5 STARS or 10 out of 10 previews/reviews so that they will be given advanced copies of FILL_IN_PUBLISHER's next AAA release ... I will listen to them talk shit about their customers not one whit. Until then this type of fanboi scree from customers is going to be the standard response to game journalists. Either grow a pair of journalistic integrity-balls or shaddup and enjoy the lifestyle being a shill affords.

Some game journalists do have balls, it's not fair to tar them all with the same brush. We need user reviews of reviewers

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Op Ed Nov 20, 2011, 12:28 psulli

The idea that the payola-laden, ethically-challenged industry of video game journalism is indicting their own customers is revolting.

As soon as game journalist establish some balls versus handing out 5 STARS or 10 out of 10 previews/reviews so that they will be given advanced copies of FILL_IN_PUBLISHER's next AAA release ... I will listen to them talk shit about their customers not one whit. Until then this type of fanboi scree from customers is going to be the standard response to game journalists. Either grow a pair of journalistic integrity-balls or shaddup and enjoy the lifestyle being a shill affords.

6. Re: Op Ed Nov 20, 2011, 10:53 Prez

Of course they don't have an opinion, you git!

They haven't played the game, yet!

That's why people read reviews!

That was my impression when I read the blurb, but in reading the article I see that his main gripe is with people who, without having played the game, belittle reviewers when their score is different from the Metacritic average, which indeed is pretty lame.

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Op Ed Nov 20, 2011, 09:59 JoeNapalm

Of course they don't have an opinion, you git!

They haven't played the game, yet!

That's why people read reviews!

I trust player reviews as much as "professional" ones (which is to say, not at all), but they can still be of use to get an idea about a game you know nothing about.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

4. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2011, 20:31 Crustacean Soup

Quboid wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 19:44:
Crustacean Soup wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 18:32:
Why should the gaming industry, which is a first class industry providing first class entertainment, be accorded a third-class award show year after year?

Because Spike said "hey, let's make a video games award show, no one else is doing that", and then they did it. No one else has stepped up, so they're the de facto "video games award show".

The BAFTA Video Game Awards is the only computer game awards that I know of - I'm not familiar with Spike - and they are well respected. Their film awards are well respected too.

Spike is American. BAFTA is mostly ignored (as a whole, not just the game awards) by most Americans. But yeah, I guess that's there too.

3. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2011, 19:44 Quboid

Crustacean Soup wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 18:32:
Why should the gaming industry, which is a first class industry providing first class entertainment, be accorded a third-class award show year after year?

Because Spike said "hey, let's make a video games award show, no one else is doing that", and then they did it. No one else has stepped up, so they're the de facto "video games award show".

The BAFTA Video Game Awards is the only computer game awards that I know of - I'm not familiar with Spike - and they are well respected. Their film awards are well respected too.

- Quboid

2. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2011, 18:32 Crustacean Soup

1. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2011, 16:58 Rattlehead

Oh gee another metacritic article let me click right on that...not  

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo