Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving

The Bethesda Softworks Forums have word that patches for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim should come out the week after Thanksgiving, which is November 24 (thanks Gamer's Hell). Word is:

Wanted to let everyone know that the next PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 updates have been submitted for certification, and that the PC patch is coming too. The current estimate is that they will be live the week after Thanksgiving.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 21, 2011, 09:30 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 15:47:
I have my own 20 years of experience plus detailed evaluation and debate from experienced technicians and developers. I don't know what the fuck else I would need to have an opinion on the subject, but I'm sure you will tell me.

"I never crash" Crowngrin

Whoops!

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 20, 2011, 19:55 Jerykk

Whilst I do agree that PgUp, etc. would be handy, I am finding that the mousewheel scrolling is apt in the meantime.

The mousewheel is fine if any of the lists are relatively short. However, if the lists are long, that's a different matter entirely. I have to scroll the mousewheel about 10 times to reach the bottom of that list because I have so many books. Same with my Ingredients list.

46. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 20, 2011, 12:51 J

Jerykk wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 08:03:
The inventory menu is in dire need of scroll bars and the ability to sort by name, potency and value. Support for PgUp/PgDn/Home/End would be nice as well. I've put almost 60 hours into the game thus far and I've probably spent at least 3 hours just scrolling through menus.

Whilst I do agree that PgUp, etc. would be handy, I am finding that the mousewheel scrolling is apt in the meantime.

45. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 20, 2011, 08:03 Jerykk

The inventory menu is in dire need of scroll bars and the ability to sort by name, potency and value. Support for PgUp/PgDn/Home/End would be nice as well. I've put almost 60 hours into the game thus far and I've probably spent at least 3 hours just scrolling through menus.  

44. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 20, 2011, 00:02 Kastagir

This is what bugged me the most about the UI - the static button help that made the UI unusable after changing just a few key mappings. What's terribly funny is that I resorted to using the default key settings (for the most part) and even after only about 10 hours of playing, I can't see moving away from it. Go figure.

I'm still looking forward to a real PC UI, though. From the modders, of course.

43. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 19, 2011, 19:02 jimnms

the_culture wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 16:07:
Ozmodan wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 16:02:
Unless they patch the UI it won't help the game very much. Worst UI in an rpg game I have seen in ages. No excuse for such horrid design, it knocks a great game down to just another game.

I agree the UI sucks but I'm pushing through it. I just wish I could re-map the keys properly. I can't even enhance weapons and armor because the E and R keys aren't working.

Looking at some mods right now though...

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=368

Steam Profile

42. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 19, 2011, 19:02 Creston

jimnms wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 15:36:
Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 00:57:
Jim,

Is that fix just for your particular setup, or should it work for everyone's mappings, no matter what they are?

It will work for all setups. I set the menu keys to use the key that is shown on screen instead of what you bound its action to. Think of it now working like Fallout 3/NV's PipBoy where those keys are hard coded and don't change no matter how you set up your keys.

Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing it.

Creston

41. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 19, 2011, 18:57 Creston

PHJF wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 10:04:
What bugs me most about Skyrim is how my framerate is actually worse in dungeons. Certain sections of certain dungeons tank my framerate for no apparent reason at all; I can be walking down a tunnel the same as a hundred other tunnels but my framerate will drop below 20. Curious.

Does it happen in areas where there's a fire? There seems to be something wrong in the fire animations that's tanking framerates. I can play the game well enough on my box at work (with a Quadro FX 4800) on Medium, but in dungeons with a brazier, the framerate goes into the shitter. (basically to stutter mode.)

Even my 5850 runs noticeably slower when there's a fire around, but it's powerful enough that it just bulls through.

Creston

40. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 19, 2011, 17:01 Dades

The UI isn't that bad. Anyone who says they quit playing the game because of it is missing out. It could certainly use some improvement though.

I don't hate it but there is far too much scrolling and I don't consider myself a pack rat at all. There is a lot of dead space that could be used for things like buff icons too.

I have my own 20 years of experience plus detailed evaluation and debate from experienced technicians and developers. I don't know what the fuck else I would need to have an opinion on the subject, but I'm sure you will tell me.

Alright there geek squad, you keep telling those dumb users how things go.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2011, 17:09.

39. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 19, 2011, 16:38 Crustacean Soup

The no blocky faces mod is the single best mod yet. Maybe the uncompressed textures take more vram, but I have plenty, especially compared with a console. The blocky normal maps were so bloody distracting, now the faces are really very nice to look at.  

38. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 19, 2011, 16:07 the_culture

Ozmodan wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 16:02:
Unless they patch the UI it won't help the game very much. Worst UI in an rpg game I have seen in ages. No excuse for such horrid design, it knocks a great game down to just another game.

I agree the UI sucks but I'm pushing through it. I just wish I could re-map the keys properly. I can't even enhance weapons and armor because the E and R keys aren't working.

Looking at some mods right now though...

37. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 19, 2011, 16:02 Ozmodan

36. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 19, 2011, 15:49 jimnms

The UI isn't that bad. Anyone who says they quit playing the game because of it is missing out. It could certainly use some improvement though. Making the fonts smaller so that you don't have to scroll so much would be a start. I don't think we're going to see as many UI mods as Oblivion and Fallout 3/NV. I extracted the files and they're in swf format now instead of xml.
As far as stability, the game has been very stable for me. The only crashes I've had are from alt-tabbing out of the game since the overlay isn't working.

The game auto detects my system and set the graphics to high. I bumped them up to ultra and it runs fine with no tweaking. There have been very few areas that I noticed a slowdown, usually in a town where I'm in a place overlooking a lot of the city. My system will be 2 years old next week. I've only upgraded the video card, HD and RAM since building it. I'm not overclocking any of it either since I haven't found a game that it can't run maxed out. I don't see why people are overclocking their systems and running overclocked multi-GPU setups when my 2-year old, stock 2.66GHz Core i5 750 with a GTX 470 runs every game that's come out in the past two years on the highest settings.

Steam Profile

35. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 19, 2011, 15:47 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 14:31:
As if saying most is any better when you have so little information about the subject.

34. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 19, 2011, 15:36 jimnms

Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 00:57:
Jim,

Is that fix just for your particular setup, or should it work for everyone's mappings, no matter what they are?

It will work for all setups. I set the menu keys to use the key that is shown on screen instead of what you bound its action to. Think of it now working like Fallout 3/NV's PipBoy where those keys are hard coded and don't change no matter how you set up your keys.

Steam Profile

33. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 19, 2011, 14:55 Sepharo

I'm using all of Xenius' mods:

No More Blocky Faces
Detailed Faces
High Quality Eyes
Detailed Lips
Detailed Bodies

And:

Realistic Sun Glare - not the one currently in Top 100, that one isn't "realistic"
Enhanced Blood Textures
Enhanced Night Skyrim
Large Address Aware

32. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 19, 2011, 14:31 Dades

could still use some hires textures tho

There are some preview packs on nexus but it looks like some idiots just ran the textures through a sharpen filter and labeled it hires.

I like how you changed my "most" into "all" to suit your counterpoint.

As if saying most is any better when you have so little information about the subject.

31. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 19, 2011, 14:20 space captain

man... adding that "uGridsloaded" line to the ini file and installing that FXAA post process thing... shit looks crazy awesome now.. could still use some hires textures tho  
Go forth, and kill!

30. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 19, 2011, 13:07 Killswitch

Kastagir wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 12:53:
I agree completely, though I'm sure their response is likely to be something like "but it runs fine in BF3!"

Oh yeah, I should mention, the problem I was having with the bad memory would only crop up while playing Anarchy Online. Swapping to new memory resolved the issue. Seems reasonable for someone to blame the game if something like that were to happen. I'm not saying this is the case for anyone playing Skyrim, but it's just something to consider.

29. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 19, 2011, 12:53 Kastagir

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 10:50:
WaltC wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 09:35:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 04:09:
I think I've been unlucky. I've had around 40 CTDs,...

With that many CTD's, your problem is most likely somewhere in here:

Core i7 2600-K (4.6GHz) | HD5970 2GB (910/1200)

A-fucking-men brother.

I agree completely, though I'm sure their response is likely to be something like "but it runs fine in BF3!" Honestly, I have a friend who asked my help about his computer constantly shutting down. When I got there, I found that he had shut the computer inside a desk cabinet to reduce the noise. Some people just don't see the whole picture (and probably shouldn't own PCs). What baffles me is that Skyrim doesn't need overclocking. I have a core i7-2600k and a GTX 580, both running at stock speeds and the frame rate is a steady 55-60 at ultra detail settings.

Hey, I've got an idea. I think I'm going to go take the wheels off my car to save some weight. Then I'll get some amazing gas mileage!

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2011, 12:58.

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo