Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Getting to see it firsthand on TV last night, I am ever-more fascinated by the Broncos' ability to succeed with a college-style option offense, since I've heard the conventional wisdom my whole life that this was impossible in the NFL. I'm still not convinced this is viable over the long-term, but if they can actually have continued success this way, I wonder if other teams will actually attempt to adopt this in what is well known to be a copycat league. There certainly should be some unemployed former option QBs floating around.

Optional Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Freeway Fury 2.
Monsters Lawn.
Links: What 26 Video Game Characters Do With Their Down Time.
Stories: American boozing at its highest since late '70s. Thanks Devicer.
NBC Orders Pilot Of Drama Based On 1960′s ‘The Munsters’. Thanks Devicer.
Authorities reopen probe into Natalie Wood's 1981 drowning death.
Images: Return of the Jedi set photos. Thanks nin via Dubious Quality.
Media: NMA: Cost of Thanksgiving climbs to $50.
Puma Parkour.
Amazing Puppy Rescue on Busy Freeway After Car Crash. Crazy suspenseful.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2011, 22:28 Sepharo

dardin wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 11:48:
The more likely scenario that will play out is that within the next few games the Broncos will play a team that defensively comes up with a game plan that makes this offense ineffective. Then we will see every team that plays them there after use the same defense scheme to defeat them.

Like the Lions who represent the 1 in Tebow's 4-1 starting record
45–10

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2011, 22:16 Creston

Oh, btw, something you said earlier:

MisterBenn wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 19:31:
The only slightest drawback is that the response time isn't quite as good as monitors

I got an IPS panel. It's incredible how fast it updates. I see no difference beween this and my computer monitors. Tried Rage, Skyrim, JC2, all perfectly fine.

Creston

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2011, 22:11 Creston

Yeah, it still baffles me why mine says 1080p...

I changed my pixel format in the CCC to RGB:4:4:4 Pixel Format PC Standard (Full RGB), which made a huge difference in how it looks as well.

Creston

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2011, 22:05 MisterBenn

Mine reports 1920x1080, I've never seen 1080p reported. When I play Duels of the Planeswalkers, it swaps mode and reports 1080i!?! Apart from the res I have no further control in that game.

I definitely think TVs are viable and cost effective these days, the only downside mine has is it needs to be turned on seperately and it waits 15 minutes on no signal before going to sleep. A 1080 dektop has never troubled me and sitting where I do I have to turn my head slightly to check the corners of the screen, you couldn't really imagine a screen taking more of your view!

Playing: Path of Exile, Age of Wonders III

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2011, 21:51 Creston

Thanks MisterBenn!

So my TV turned out to be overscanning, while my graphics card was underscanning, and all in all it was quite a horrible mess. I turned all that off, messed around with a few more options in the CCC, and moved sliders up and down on my TV until they practically fell off.

I've gotten it to fit the entire screen now, and everything looks nicely sharp. What little I still think I see is probably because at work I sit about 3 feet away from a 30" monitor. It just looks great now, and Skyrim looks fucking AMAZING on this TV.

Only thing I'm still curious about is that my TV is still reporting 1080p, versus 1920x1080. Some peeps at tomshardware say that when it says 1080p, it's still doing scaling somehow. Not sure how true that is, but there ya go.

I've got a DVI to HDMI cable coming tomorrow, perhaps that will fix that one final issue.

Thanks again for all the advice, gents!

Creston

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2011, 19:31 MisterBenn

Creston - I did exactly the same and bought a 32" Samsung HD TV when my old 30" monitor died. It's a UE32C6000 LCD.

I am connected via direct HDMI from my 6950 and there is no problem with sharpness. I did have to go through the options and set a few things to be more computer-relevant rather than TV.

Most important - turn off image post processing. You might have a direct control for turning that off, I struggled with that for a while and on my TV I had to Google around and I discovered that it was engaged automatically once you renamed one of the HDMI ports as a PC input! Before I engaged that the main problem I had was input delay, it was more than half a second and it felt like someone else was operating my mouse... I was horrified. Modern TVs remember this for each input so it won't affect regular TV if you use that too.

Second is to adjust the contrast, it's insanely high by default to penetrate a room and the bright areas can bleed depending on the colours, that might explain the blurriness of text. For example on mine I have picture mode to "Movie" (this is apparently THX compliant and is adjusted for a low level of backlight for movie watching in a fairly dark room), I also have power save mode to Medium (which is lower contrast and backlight). Finally the TV has automatic brightness which also tends to reduce the picture brightness when I play at night. After all of those it's a very similar level of clarity and brightness as a monitor, I can't tell the difference. Right now I am less than 2 feet from the screen and it's totally comfortable and all my surfing / Pro Evoing / Skyrimming (not sure I like that word!) takes place on it. I really did struggle with the picture settings at first (and the default brightness modes are pure pain at such close range) but I got there.

I didn't have to set anything specific with regard to aspect ratio or scaling with mine, I guess experiment with those if you've tried everything else but I think merely connecting via HDMI sets the important stuff correctly.

I am incredibly happy with mine overall, I dropped £1K on the old monitor and this one was £500ish a year ago. They go a bit cheaper than that but this is super slimline and other features are really good. The only slightest drawback is that the response time isn't quite as good as monitors, if someone was intent on competition gaming in something requiring reflexes it might be a tiny disadvantage. It's not really noticable in most games (and it is of course what consoles have all the time) but it's occasionally noticable in Touhou and it's definitely noticable in Tetris the Grand Master which is very timing intensive.

Edit: Still hunting around - in CCC I see my monitor is detected as Samsung PnP (I recall I didn't do anything special here originally) and I have GPU scaling off and ITC processing on (both of which were so by default).

Playing: Path of Exile, Age of Wonders III

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2011, 18:29 xXBatmanXx

Blue wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 17:24:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 15:25:
Little pup is lucky it didn't get smushed. Was probably freaked out and just ran as far away as possible. Happens alot - with a different outcome.

I can only imagine. Watching that clip created an incredible amount of anxiety for me as it was, even knowing the outcome based on its title.

It's also amazing to me that it seemed like the driver was relatively okay after seeing what happened to that car.

I bring my 3 labs EVERYWHERE with me. They aren't small, all avg 86-96 pounds a piece. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and they free roam in the back with the seats down. I set it up pretty nicely back there for them, and I have a certain level of anxiety everytime I drive around with them. My biggest fear is one flying out in a wreck.

The technology and tubular rollcages and crunch zones in cars now is friggen amazing. I have pulled up to rollovers so many times and got that sinking feeling, only to have someone walk up to me with not a scratch or bump and say "that is my car....I was driving". I am sure the look on my face is pretty entertaining.

It is pretty rare to have major injuries at accidents as long as people are buckled in. I see worse injuries in bicycle accidents and people falling on ice and snow. That being said - we are supposed to get snow tomorrow....first one of the year. I think I will take the day off...

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2011, 17:24  Blue 

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 15:25:
Little pup is lucky it didn't get smushed. Was probably freaked out and just ran as far away as possible. Happens alot - with a different outcome.

I can only imagine. Watching that clip created an incredible amount of anxiety for me as it was, even knowing the outcome based on its title.

It's also amazing to me that it seemed like the driver was relatively okay after seeing what happened to that car.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2011, 17:16 PHJF

It may not be the TV at all, your graphics card might be mucking about with it.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2011, 16:05 Cutter

Man, I haven't heard the Stranglers in a while. I always forget what a bloody good band they were....
You better watch out for the skin deep

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2011, 15:52 Creston

Yeah, it's a native 1920x1080 panel. I'm pretty sure it's an overscan option, because the image doesn't completely fit the screen either. It's got about an inch black bar on every side of the image, which is exactly where overscan cuts off.

So I'll see if I can fix that tonight. I also ordered a DVI to HDMI cable, since a few people reported that using that gets around the scan issue. Finally, some people have said that simply RENAMING the HDMI input to "PC" fixed it.

So I've got enough things to try. Thanks again for the tips though, guys!

Creston

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2011, 15:25 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 11:54:
Amazing Puppy Rescue on Busy Freeway After Car Crash. Crazy suspenseful.

Wow, that was scary to watch. Was afraid the cops on the cycles were going to get hit by traffic also.

Bonus points for the cops dismounting and then the dog running circles around him.

It is always funny to see us coppers try and run in all of our gear. To put it into perspective, we average about an extra 30-40 pounds with all of our stuff on. Which makes it even funnier when we actually catch someone/something after a foot pursuit.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

10. Re: Halp! Nov 18, 2011, 15:12 kanniballl

Go back far enough and the 1080 HDTVs were only capable of handling 1080i and 720p. Perhaps looking at the text via an interlaced screen is what's making it blurry.

Also, some HDTV's of old used to say they were 1080 because they could "handle" and down-convert the 1080 signal. When in fact they were on 768 screens and meant to really just do 720 nativ-ish.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: Halp! Nov 18, 2011, 14:52 xXBatmanXx

TheLeech wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 14:14:
Creston,

You may have already investigated this angle, but you need to make sure the TV will display HDMI inputs with 1:1 pixel mapping. Most, if not all, TVs will scale to crop out overscan. There's probably some setting (varies by manufacturer) that will enable 1:1 pixel mapping. My other thought is that there still might be some image processing that the TV is doing to the image. Look for a "game mode" or similar setting to skip the TV's image processing. That will also help decrease the apparent input lag between screen and mouse.

I run my PC over HDMI to a 40" LCD Samsung that is a few years old. Everything looks as it should.

You may have already come across all these suggestions, but if you haven't, hopefully one of them will work.

P.S. And you're positive the panel is a 1920x1080 one, right? That it looks good at 1024x768 is a little curious.

Edit: Regarding what Enahs said, how far away are you sitting from the TV? TV pixel sites are big, remember.

Yea my samsung 40 inch LCD looks great with a pc.
So does my 46 inch I just bought - dont' recall manufacturer. I am thinking you got a non 1080 tv....especially at that size....

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2011, 14:50 Creston

Thanks Enahs, and TheLeech. Yeah, I know I have to sit further away from it, and I took that into account.

I'm beginning to think it is indeed an overscan issue, as everywhere I'm running across people with the same issue. Now I just need to get home and try to find some way to turn it off, because I didn't see an overscan option in the TV...

I appreciate the advice, guys!

Creston

7. Re: Halp! Nov 18, 2011, 14:14 TheLeech

Creston,

You may have already investigated this angle, but you need to make sure the TV will display HDMI inputs with 1:1 pixel mapping. Most, if not all, TVs will scale to crop out overscan. There's probably some setting (varies by manufacturer) that will enable 1:1 pixel mapping. My other thought is that there still might be some image processing that the TV is doing to the image. Look for a "game mode" or similar setting to skip the TV's image processing. That will also help decrease the apparent input lag between screen and mouse.

I run my PC over HDMI to a 40" LCD Samsung that is a few years old. Everything looks as it should.

You may have already come across all these suggestions, but if you haven't, hopefully one of them will work.

P.S. And you're positive the panel is a 1920x1080 one, right? That it looks good at 1024x768 is a little curious.

Edit: Regarding what Enahs said, how far away are you sitting from the TV? TV pixel sites are big, remember.

6. Re: Halp! Nov 18, 2011, 14:11 Enahs

Creston.

TV's are designed to be viewed from far away. Not close up. You can not use a TV as a computer monitor unless you are far away from it.

There is a reason computer monitors cost a lot more then TVs....

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2011, 13:10 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 12:10:
The more likely scenario that will play out is that within the next few games the Broncos will play a team that defensively comes up with a game plan that makes this offense ineffective. Then we will see every team that plays them there after use the same defense scheme to defeat them.

Exactly. It's novelty that catches people with their pants down but will soon be adjusted for. It certainly has its place and can be utilized to great effect in the right time and place but not as an overall stratgey.

Yea, happened to Cam Newton the last 2 weeks. Dangit - hurting my fantasy team.

4. Halp! Nov 18, 2011, 12:58 Creston

So I bought a 32" LED to serve as my next gaming monitor. 1920x1080 is plenty resolution for me, and it's half the price of a 30" Dell or HP.

It works fine over HDMI. Recognizes the TV immediately, no drivers or anything to install. However, I can't actually get a sharp image on it. I've tried messing with pretty much every setting on the TV, spent hours reading through forums, swapped out HDMI cables, and it just stays fuzzy. If I fuck around with the sharpness setting for awhile, I can get it almost presentable in some cases (it's mostly black on white that's really the problem), but then other instances, such as Blues' headlines, get all fuzzy and blurry.

In games it's not as noticeable, but there's still blur, especially in text.

I finally tried switching to the PC port (which is just VGA, grrr,) but no matter what I do there, I can't get the resolution to go higher than 1440x900, which looks horrendously shitty. The only resolution that looks great and sharp is 1024x768, and that defeats the purpose of getting a bigger monitor/tv to begin with.

Anyone have any idea? Does a PC over HDMI simply not work well enough to be as sharp as we're used to on a PC?

Thanks in advance!

Creston

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2011, 12:10 Cutter

Exactly. It's novelty that catches people with their pants down but will soon be adjusted for. It certainly has its place and can be utilized to great effect in the right time and place but not as an overall stratgey.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo