Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Origin/EA Bans Follow-up

Rock, Paper, Shotgun has a follow-up on recent reports of game bans in EA games resulting from forum activity. They have a statement from EA covering why players get banned, and their plan to reevaluate how this operates:

With every game and service EA offers, we take the satisfaction of our customers very seriously. We discourage cheating and strive to maintain a high level of integrity in both our games and our forums. Therefore when someone violates our Terms of Service, we are forced to take actions that can include suspensions and other measures. We do not take those decisions lightly however the integrity of our services and the satisfaction of our customers requires a clear set of rules.

We have listened to our customers and are planning a policy update which will include more equitable rules on suspensions we want to make sure the time fits the crime. As with all technology updates, these changes take some time to implement. Meanwhile, we urge any user with a question about suspensions or our policies to please contact us at (866) 543-5435 so we can address their specific situation.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Origin/EA Bans Follow-up Nov 18, 2011, 21:04 Sepharo

Dev wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 19:27:
LordB3ta wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 15:45:
I take a pretty hard line on abusers, cheaters and exploiters. I think if you play on public servers and cheat enough to get caught, you absolutely deserve to be banned. There are enough people running around clearly violating some rule of the game that don't get banned that the ones that do have to really be pushing it.

At the very least, however, I think it's fair to ban anyone caught using an exploit (external or internal, bug or otherwise) until it's fixed. If a player keeps finding/using exploits, then they keep getting banned and will spend more of their time out of the game, not ruining it for everyone else.
Cool. I agree.

What does all that have to do with bans from EA forums that automatically ban your whole origin game account when a non-paid volunteer mod goes on a power trip and decides he doesn't like you using the word "e-peen" ?

Partly my fault, I brought up a tiny exception I was willing to make for "game account tied to forum account and linking/admitting hacking" and the conversation drifted.

But as I also said earlier, game accounts shouldn't be tied to forum accounts in the first place and admins should not have the ability to restrict access to paid-for games. But if they did (and they do) I don't think I would be all right with "Well this guy is saying he's hacking the shit out of the game and posting links to the hacks but since it's only the forum we can't do anything about it despite knowing his game account."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Origin/EA Bans Follow-up Nov 18, 2011, 19:27 Dev

LordB3ta wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 15:45:
I take a pretty hard line on abusers, cheaters and exploiters. I think if you play on public servers and cheat enough to get caught, you absolutely deserve to be banned. There are enough people running around clearly violating some rule of the game that don't get banned that the ones that do have to really be pushing it.

At the very least, however, I think it's fair to ban anyone caught using an exploit (external or internal, bug or otherwise) until it's fixed. If a player keeps finding/using exploits, then they keep getting banned and will spend more of their time out of the game, not ruining it for everyone else.
Cool. I agree.

What does all that have to do with bans from EA forums that automatically ban your whole origin game account when a non-paid volunteer mod goes on a power trip and decides he doesn't like you using the word "e-peen" ?

39. Re: Origin/EA Bans Follow-up Nov 18, 2011, 15:45 LordB3ta

38. Re: Origin/EA Bans Follow-up Nov 18, 2011, 15:26 WyldKat

ASeven wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 23:34:
Doesn't help most mods on the forums are volunteer fanboys of the worst kind, moderating and doing EA's job without any pay. Fanboy powertrips are expected.

And where's the EA fanboys that were saying that the bans were a lie?

See right there is the problem, and I think if this went into litigation that's one of the points it would hinge on. No volunteer should ever have the right to prevent you from accessing goods that you've paid for. (Yes I'm using software as a good, not a service, because the "software as a service" argument is bullshit too.)

37. Re: Origin/EA Bans Follow-up Nov 18, 2011, 12:07 ASeven

Verno wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 09:05:
I don't even see the problem, paying customers didn't like the policy and it's getting changed. That's the way things are supposed to work. If everything related to Origin goes like this then that's the way EA should be operating - by listening to their customers and admitting their mistakes.

But when these news first broke a couple months ago EA also said they would change and here we are, a repeat of what happened a couple months ago.

36. Re: Origin/EA Bans Follow-up Nov 18, 2011, 11:30 Verno

To be fair to EA they have stated that things will change, at some undisclosed point in time in the future...

You can't just up and change the system on a dime, there are design/support issues that need to be addressed. That stuff takes time, if you've worked in the industry then you know this already. It's like asking Steam to change their application structure because the DLC support is wonky.

If they fail to make good on their promise then I'll be right there with you slinging "hate".

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

35. Re: Origin/EA Bans Follow-up Nov 18, 2011, 10:28 InBlack

Verno wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 09:05:
Hate is a pretty strong word rooted in emotion, sounds more like you have a problem with EA than I do. I buy EA games and treat them like any other company for the most part. Why should I deny myself a game I like (BF3) just because EA does dumb DRM stuff with say Spore? I'm not sure where this binary decision making concept came from where you need to love/hate a faceless corporation without any room for middle ground.

I don't even see the problem, paying customers didn't like the policy and it's getting changed. That's the way things are supposed to work. If everything related to Origin goes like this then that's the way EA should be operating - by listening to their customers and admitting their mistakes.

You are right, hate is a strong word, but it gets my point accross a lot better.

To be fair to EA they have stated that things will change, at some undisclosed point in time in the future... Rolleyes

All Im saying is that EA has been screwing its customers for years on end and it will continue to do that as long as they keep buying their games. Its not doing anything wrong, if milking your customer base for every penny isnt wrong. I mean why PAY forum admins when fanbois will do it for FREE!

Things like that, or even worse things like cost cutting in AAA games (Dragon Age 2 turditis), will never change as long as millions of people scoop it up and keep asking for more.

Thats all Im saying.

I have a nifty blue line!

34. Re: Origin/EA Bans Follow-up Nov 18, 2011, 10:22 Dev

wtf_man wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 09:11:
Dev wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 22:13:
I already did, I had some old EA games. I figured I'd try it. I did, and it's very annoying to use. And that doesn't even count all the weird things EA does with their terms.

Really? None of my old EA games require Origin except *maybe* Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit and Dragon Age.... and I'll torrent those before I ever sign up for Origin (If I ever want to play them again... and feel totally justified in doing so).
They converted the accounts over and I wanted to make sure the stuff I bought from EA a long time ago was still there and still worked. I didn't say the old games I had REQUIRED it. Like I said, I found origin very annoying to use. I wrote up a long writeup in one of the old origin threads with all the things I found I didn't like about it.

Note: I also find some things annoying about steam, like not being able to search friends list (which is something they could copy the code from library searching and test in just a few minutes). Come on valve, hire some dedicated UI ppl instead of insisting everyone be a generalist with desks on wheels working only on stuff that interests them. However, I find steam overall much less annoying to use. Steam also doesn't plaster prompts everywhere asking you to join facebook to it like origin does. Steam also has great sales often, EA rarely has good sales.

33. Re: Origin/EA Bans Follow-up Nov 18, 2011, 10:13 Bhruic

Nothing a company puts in an EULA can make theft from the purchaser legal.

Not really true. And there are parallels. For example, if you buy a movie ticket, and are being an obnoxious jerk in the theatre, the theatre can kick you out without refunding your money. I don't think it should work that way, but saying they can't do it is flying in the face of reality.

32. Re: Origin/EA Bans Follow-up Nov 18, 2011, 09:52 Verno

Nothing a company puts in an EULA can make theft from the purchaser legal.

Oh I think you'd be surprised with what companies in the US can get away with unfortunately.

31. Re: Origin/EA Bans Follow-up Nov 18, 2011, 09:44 LurkerLito

As was said earlier, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING YOU SAY ON A FORUM SHOULD EVER CAUSE YOUR PURCHASED GAMES TO STOP WORKING PERIOD.

Also, ABSOLUTELY NO AMOUNT OF CHEATING OR MODIFYING YOUR GAME SHOULD EVER CAUSE YOU TO BE UNABLE TO PLAY THE GAMES YOU PURCHASED! It is fine to ban a person for cheating or modifying a particular game and prevent them from being able to play it online against other people, but if you ban them and all their purchased games also stop working, then it should absolutely be required that the company refund the full purchase price for every game they own that the purchaser cannot play due to the ban. That is exactly the same as EA reverse-pirating from the purchaser. They stole the money the buyer gave them for a product. They basically gave the buyer a product for money and then hit the buyer over the head and took the product back and kept the money. That makes them no better than Bernie Madoff and should be prosecuted for fraud. Nothing a company puts in an EULA can make theft from the purchaser legal.

30. Re: Origin/EA Bans Follow-up Nov 18, 2011, 09:16 Xoxotl

How many of you who posted here bought Battlefield3? Now how many of those who did buy it hate EA with a passion?

And that's kind of the rub, isn't it? Battlefield 3 actually looks like a pretty fun game, (I had a blast with Battlefield 2142) but with EA apparently taking a new level in jerkass every month, I've steered clear of it. And that kinda sucks.

Well, at least I have Skyrim to keep me busy.

Don't start anything you can't finish. Preferably to component atoms.

29. Re: Origin/EA Bans Follow-up Nov 18, 2011, 09:11 wtf_man

Dev wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 22:13:
I already did, I had some old EA games. I figured I'd try it. I did, and it's very annoying to use. And that doesn't even count all the weird things EA does with their terms.

Really? None of my old EA games require Origin except *maybe* Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit and Dragon Age.... and I'll torrent those before I ever sign up for Origin (If I ever want to play them again... and feel totally justified in doing so).

28. Re: Origin/EA Bans Follow-up Nov 18, 2011, 09:05 Verno

InBlack wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 06:22:
How many of you who posted here bought Battlefield3? Now how many of those who did buy it hate EA with a passion?

I hate to break it to you guys, but you are the reason why EA will continue to poke you (and all of its other customers) with its pointy end in the ass indefinitely...

Hate is a pretty strong word rooted in emotion, sounds more like you have a problem with EA than I do. I buy EA games and treat them like any other company for the most part. Why should I deny myself a game I like (BF3) just because EA does dumb DRM stuff with say Spore? I'm not sure where this binary decision making concept came from where you need to love/hate a faceless corporation without any room for middle ground.

27. Re: Origin/EA Bans Follow-up Nov 18, 2011, 09:02 ASeven

I hate to break it to you guys, but you are the reason why EA will continue to poke you (and all of its other customers) with its pointy end in the ass indefinitely...

+1000000000000

26. Re: Origin/EA Bans Follow-up Nov 18, 2011, 07:59 ZeroCougar

Prez wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 22:52:
Absolutely NOTHING you do or say in a forum should have any bearing whatsoever on whether or not you can play the games you paid for. Period, end of story.

This. Thousand times, this!

Yeah I didn't buy BF3 ether. Even though my friends urge me too. I'm sticking to my guns for now. ME3 however will... bring me to Origin damn you EA... damn you.

- That's a very nice everything you have there... ssssssssSSSSSSSSSSS -

25. Re: Origin/EA Bans Follow-up Nov 18, 2011, 07:56 MisterBenn

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 00:29:
We'll not only ban you, but lock you out of everything you've ever bought.
Here's the nub: some publishers are moving away from the purchase model and are locking in the "gaming as a service" model instead as digital distribution becomes the norm. Even though the full price is still paid up front, they consider the ability to access the game to be a priviledge rather than a right - to be granted and restricted on their terms. Persistent online requirements (and "cloud" connections which often resemble the same thing) reinforce this. The only way this can be regulated in by market forces, i.e. being prepared to forego titles that support and develop this way of thinking.

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

24. Re: Origin/EA Bans Follow-up Nov 18, 2011, 07:33 Zadig

I sure didn't. The only EA series I remember playing this year are Mass Effect & The Sims. Both were bought for peanuts and were disappointing enough that I'm not sure I'd play future ones. I'll never use Origin as long as Steam & Amazon still exist.

23. Re: Origin/EA Bans Follow-up Nov 18, 2011, 07:31 Zadig

I like how EA is trying to tie the bans to cheating (...in our games...) when they're the result of forum posts. As has already been stated, nothing said in a forum should result in anything more severe than a forum ban.  

22. Re: Origin/EA Bans Follow-up Nov 18, 2011, 07:23 Luke

A++

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo