Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Torchlight II Delayed

An update from Travis Baldree on the Torchlight II website informs us that Torchlight II is delayed (thanks Gamer's Hell via Joystiq). Runic Games' action/RPG sequel was announced for release in Spring 2011 before being pushed back to "sometime in 2011," so this indicates we should expect the game next year. While he doesn't specify exactly when, he does say: "The amount of time we need to take it the rest of the way is relatively small," but this probably makes them regret Max Schaefer's comment that Runic would probably release Torchlight 3 before Blizzard releases Diablo III. Here's the statement:

"So... where is Torchlight 2? Didn't you guys say that you were planning to try to release this year?"

Well, yeah. We did - and we made a good run at that. We've come to the realization, however, that getting a game of this scope up to the quality and polish level we want to achieve is going to take a little longer; especially since we want to run a small beta before release to ensure that our launch is smooth.

The first Torchlight was released in record time, but it had plenty of issues that a little more development could have resolved. We didn't have the resources at the time to give Torchlight that treatment. Right at this moment though, we do have those resources for the sequel, and we feel strongly that we should apply them to make this the best game we can make and hopefully one that you'll enjoy and continue to want to play in the future. We've probably had 18 months of full development time on it so far - not excessively long yet, as far as that goes. The amount of time we need to take it the rest of the way is relatively small.

We feel pretty safe in saying that if you enjoyed Torchlight at all, this sequel is superior in every respect. Right now our job is to ensure that the quality level is consistent all the way to the end.

Besides, you're all playing Skyrim right now anyway, aren't you? Or Battlefield 3? Or Uncharted 3? Or Saints Row 3? Or Arkham City? Or Skyward Sword? Or Minecraft? Or Modern Warfare 3? Or Dark Souls? Or Assassin's Creed Revelations?

Those are awesome games. When Torchlight 2 goes live, we want it to be awesome too - all the way through.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Torchlight II Delayed Nov 18, 2011, 08:16 Ant

Don't release and trust release dates. Just say "when it's done!". I am OK to with game delays for quality. No rush. Just don't take forever like Duke Nukem Forever!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Torchlight II Delayed Nov 18, 2011, 06:46 InBlack

I dont agree Theo, from what Ive seen of the D3Beta (two playthroughs on a friends account) I would say if anything its not dark ENOUGH. It lacks a little bit of the atmosphere of its predecessors.

BUT, I remember thinking the same thing about Diablo2's first part of Act1 when it came out. It improved drastically once you got closer to Andariel and kept on getting better and better.

I have no reason to believe that it wont be the same with D3. All in all it still "feels" like Diablo. I dont mind the rather radical stat/skill changes since it allows the players to concentrate more on whats really important, loot. Diablo was always an item centric game, character builds were always based around very special combinations of items and as long as they dont change that part of the game it will remain a true sequel.

I have a nifty blue line!

35. Re: Torchlight II Delayed Nov 18, 2011, 05:05 Theo

Its worth noting that i am pretty sure this game isnt delayed because of the competition, its delayed because its not finished. ACT4 isnt really finished, and if they released the end of the game would be broken.

they are currently in "crunch mode" finishing act4 and clearing up a tone of bugs they had in the last mass play test.

PS: i am actaully in the D3 beta, its ok. it totally seems to have lst something in the process of becomming modern though, and its nothing to do with the always online, the game actaully feels a bit stale.

in hoesty i think the "dark" art syle the fans forced on blizzard is actaully responsible for making the place feel so dam dull.

anyhow. i am looking forward to T2, least its not "why so serious" like D3. (dont get me wrong ill end up buying D3, but ive not touched the beta in a long time now).

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

34. Re: Torchlight II Delayed Nov 18, 2011, 01:03 Prez

I am much more interested in Torchlight 2 than in Diablo 3.

Same here. Diablo 3 lost me when it it became Diablo Online.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

33. Re: Torchlight II Delayed Nov 17, 2011, 21:54 Pete

So he waits until April-May, and releases it then, when everyone is bored (and bitching at Bioware for making ME3 suck?)

Creston

Don't jinx it! I still have some hope.

Doin' it Big

32. Re: Torchlight II Delayed Nov 17, 2011, 21:20 xXBatmanXx

pagb wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 19:55:
Torchlight was fine... but just because it was SP only. Once you hit MP you'll notice it's a complete, broken, unbalanced mess.

My only complaint on Torchlight was the shitty FOV. Seemed "zoomed in".

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

31. Re: Torchlight II Delayed Nov 17, 2011, 19:55 pagb

Torchlight was fine... but just because it was SP only. Once you hit MP you'll notice it's a complete, broken, unbalanced mess.  

30. Re: Torchlight II Delayed Nov 17, 2011, 18:20 Creston

Here's a man who has sense. He sees the best slate of games released in a row in probably forever, and realizes that his game will get DESTROYED if he releases it now.

So he waits until April-May, and releases it then, when everyone is bored (and bitching at Bioware for making ME3 suck?) so that they sell a ton of copies.

This is simply smart business. And common sense.

Creston

29. Re: Torchlight II Delayed Nov 17, 2011, 18:03 xXBatmanXx

Overon wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 16:43:
If you play all your games now, you will starve when the drought cometh, and it surely will cometh like it does every year after christmas.

heh. Not sure if you have seen my games list, also doesn't cover the console gamse sitting by the tv, nor the boxes of games on the desk. I don't think I will ever catch up.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

28. Re: Torchlight II Delayed Nov 17, 2011, 17:55 shihonage

Yakubs wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 17:26:
Also, to everyone positioning TL2 as a Diablo 3 killer, did you already forget that TL1 was a soul-less, boring grind through extremely repetitive and extraordinarily linear levels, with an awfully-designed character system? Yeah, it appears they've made improvements to TL2 which brings it on par with... Diablo 2. Which came out a decade ago. And everyone has played already. Why wait for TL2 to come out when you can play it right now? Buy Diablo 2 for like 5 bucks.

Diablo 2 runs in 800x600 (i.e. blur on LCDs and painful resolution-switching clicks on CRTs). It's got completely raped in constant Blizzard-style rebalancing via late patches that were made by a team of 1.4 guys, once they shifted their focus elsewhere. The Battle.Net is full of cheaters, and the 5-second-death-lag has never been fixed, which makes it hard to play even with friends.

Especially since the difficulty curve got completely messed up. The game is not what it was upon release.

Otherwise, if they kept pumping out expansions for it, I would keep playing them. Because thats what Diablo 3 is - an expansion to the existing formula.

You won't find deep dialogue trees there, or world-wide choice&consequence mechanics. It's a realtime, highly simplified, roguelike.

With graphics.

That actually have lower density than in Diablo2. It all looks like a giant blur.

Torchlight 2 actually seems better at making the character stand out from its surroundings, and its lack of shader abuse makes it less blurry.

27. Re: Torchlight II Delayed Nov 17, 2011, 17:52 PropheT

Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 16:01:
Diablo 3 will be a $60 game that will likely not appear on Steam or any other DD vendor for that matter. Torchlight 2 will most likely be $20-30 and appear on all DD vendors. As long as they don't literally overlap the release window I think they will be fine.

Yup.

I plan on buying both, even if they're fairly close to the same release date. If it was same day I'd have to go with Diablo 3, but I'd still buy Torchlight 2 later on.

26. Re: Torchlight II Delayed Nov 17, 2011, 17:38 Ruffiana

Drezden wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 15:53:
I don't know why anyone is so concerned with Diablo 3 taking Torchlights sales. After all the crap that has come out on Diablo 3 I don't know a single person willing to buy it. They all want Torchlight instead.

I'm buying it. Unless reviews before it's release below the mid-80s. Largely ignore community feedback (for which I've heard nothing about D3 anyway) because they're notorious for being cynical, jaded, impossible to please ass-hats.

So, you now know at least a single person.

25. Re: Torchlight II Delayed Nov 17, 2011, 17:26 Yakubs

killer_roach wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 15:56:
Your circle of acquaintances is what I would like to call a "non-representative sample". I'd be shocked if Diablo 3 doesn't outsell Torchlight 2 by at least a 5:1 margin.

5:1 is conservative. I'm thinking 10:1 or more, and that's at a 3X price point.

Also, to everyone positioning TL2 as a Diablo 3 killer, did you already forget that TL1 was a soul-less, boring grind through extremely repetitive and extraordinarily linear levels, with an awfully-designed character system? Yeah, it appears they've made improvements to TL2 which brings it on par with... Diablo 2. Which came out a decade ago. And everyone has played already. Why wait for TL2 to come out when you can play it right now? Buy Diablo 2 for like 5 bucks.

Games like this are not all about pure design. A lot of it is how much resources you can pump into play-testing, play-balancing, content-production, and so on. If it's not nearly perfect, it's the difference between playing it for a few weeks and playing it for 8 months. TL2 can't compete there.

Diablo 3 won't be perfect, by any means. I hate some of their decisions on it, for sure. It's going to be something new, at least, and possibly even the next long-term addiction.

24. Re: Torchlight II Delayed Nov 17, 2011, 16:43 Overon

If you play all your games now, you will starve when the drought cometh, and it surely will cometh like it does every year after christmas.  

23. Re: Torchlight II Delayed Nov 17, 2011, 16:38 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 14:43:

Besides, you're all playing Skyrim right now anyway, aren't you? Or Battlefield 3? Or Uncharted 3? Or Saints Row 3? Or Arkham City? Or Skyward Sword? Or Minecraft? Or Modern Warfare 3? Or Dark Souls? Or Assassin's Creed Revelations?

Thank you, TL devs. The plate is overflowing right now, as you've correctly guessed.

Exactly. I didn't think I would be this into the games that I am playing right now, but damn I am having fun and each game just slows me down.

22. Re: Torchlight II Delayed Nov 17, 2011, 16:27 Esoteric

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 16:06:
Oddly I haven't even played the original one, but people keep saying it's great and fun. So should I snag it or wait for a sale?

edit: SC4 Deluxe is on sale on Steam for the next 20hrs for $5.

Wait for a sale. It will almost definitely go down to at least 5 dollars either on Black Friday or the Christmas sale, if you can wait that long.

21. Re: Torchlight II Delayed Nov 17, 2011, 16:21 Kajetan

nin wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 14:43:
Thank you, TL devs. The plate is overflowing right now, as you've correctly guessed.
Thats right. Bought my last game two months ago, still havent finished it. Too much work, too much weird social life. Gaming time has become scarce these days

20. Re: Torchlight II Delayed Nov 17, 2011, 16:13 StingingVelvet

I still haven't played Torchlight. Or Sacred 2. I didn't get far in Titan Quest.

I need to stop buying these clicky-clicky loot games because I find them boring.

19. Re: Torchlight II Delayed Nov 17, 2011, 16:09 shihonage

I am much more interested in Torchlight 2 than in Diablo 3. Ever since Starcraft II's jumbled main interface and invasive engine sucking up all my system resources, crashing my computer, disconnecting my wireless randomly, it's felt oddly "non-Blizzard".

Then I found out that Diablo 3 done away with town portals, and saw their phoned-in CGI cutscenes, which don't hold a candle to their own 1998-era Diablo CGI. Behold, I am Diablo's fat cousin, I came to rule the world blah blah blah. They should've gone with Tyrael corruption storyline, but, judging from D3 and latest WoW expansion, looks like only mediocre creative minds remained.

Torchlight II is a project lead by former Diablo II lead developer. Now he had the budget and the time to follow through with a real spiritual sequel to Diablo II, which includes proper LAN support, town portals that look exactly right, and a variety of subtle under-the-hood enhancements... such as item requirements using "this OR that" logic, chests locked with keys carried by a random monster in general vicinity...

... and semi-procedural quests in the wilderness areas. Yes, there are outdoor wilderness areas, like in Diablo II, but monsters don't just roam there - some quests get generated at random.

And there are 3 acts, separated by story cutscenes.

I paid for Torchlight 1 as an investment into the future, and it looks like it's going to pay off. It is obvious that Max Schaefer wanted to create his own Diablo sequel from the very beginning, but with Torchlight 1 he just had neither time nor budget - after Flagship Studios went under.

18. Re: Torchlight II Delayed Nov 17, 2011, 16:06 Mashiki Amiketo

Oddly I haven't even played the original one, but people keep saying it's great and fun. So should I snag it or wait for a sale?

edit: SC4 Deluxe is on sale on Steam for the next 20hrs for $5.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo