Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Splash Damage's Next Game "One of the Biggest American Pop Culture Brands"

A story on IndustryGamers on seven U.K. studios offers an interesting statement about the next project from Brink developer Splash Damage (thanks VG247):

You know Splash Damage from Brink, an online multiplayer shooter that saw limited success earlier in the year. But at a time when Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3 are going head-to-head, it feels like the product of another age.

After its release there was some cruel chatter that Splash Damage might go the way of Bizarre or Black Rock, split apart after an expensive failure. However, being independent, the company has managed to sign at least one unannounced project for a major entertainment brand. The online multiplayer technology is already in place, and once a collection of well-known characters are laid over the top of an even more polished Brink engine there's going to be a lot of excitement from genre fans.

The game will be based on one of the biggest American pop culture brands of the last 50 years, and there's no doubt Splash Damage can do the licence justice. However, the project's success will depend a great deal on the backing it gets from the media company that owns the IP – a company widely believed to have given up on the console publishing business.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Splash Damage's Next Game "One of the Biggest American Pop Culture Brands" Nov 18, 2011, 11:29 Drazula

Full contact Pawn Stars  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Splash Damage's Next Game "One of the Biggest American Pop Culture Brands" Nov 18, 2011, 05:25 Tanto Edge

Jersey Shore the MMO.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

31. Re: Splash Damage's Next Game "One of the Biggest American Pop Culture Brands" Nov 17, 2011, 20:26 dubfanatic

It will be a Lawrence Welk MMO. You heard it here first.

30. Re: Splash Damage's Next Game Nov 17, 2011, 19:13 frag.machine

skyguy wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 10:14:
yay The Monkees will finally have their own video game!!!

"Casper the Friendly Ghost"

29. Re: Splash Damage's Next Game Nov 17, 2011, 18:24 Creston

^Drag0n^ wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 17:18:
"Justin Beiber: Kombat Karaoke" ?

My life will have seen its crown!

Creston

28. Re: Splash Damage's Next Game Nov 17, 2011, 17:44 eunichron

MajorD wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 15:32:
Yes, you're right....wana hear that again? YOU ARE SO RIGHT! ;-)

Not necessary, but appreciated. Cheers

It is nice to see a developer admit they failed, rather than blame it on piracy or the community not "getting" their design intent, even if it was in a successfully limited manner like this press release.

27. Re: Splash Damage's Next Game "One of the Biggest American Pop Culture Brands" Nov 17, 2011, 17:18 ^Drag0n^

"Justin Beiber: Kombat Karaoke" ?  

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

26. Re: Splash Damage's Next Game Nov 17, 2011, 16:56 Warskull

This announcement feels kind of like "You may remember Jack in the Box from that time we gave a bunch of people E.Coli." If you haven't played Brink, yes, it was that bad.  

25. Re: Splash Damage's Next Game Nov 17, 2011, 16:10 Parallax Abstraction

LittleMe wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 11:11:
Dirwulf wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 11:05:
Star Trek

Yeah that's my guess too.

Very well could be since I believe Bethesda has the Star Trek license right now. Though if you've seen the last couple of games for it they released...

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

24. Re: Splash Damage's Next Game Nov 17, 2011, 15:32 MajorD

eunichron wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 15:13:
MajorD wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 11:57:
You know Splash Damage from Brink, an online multiplayer shooter that saw limited success earlier in the year. But at a time when Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3 are going head-to-head, it feels like the product of another age.

I don't think that is the reason at all, as it was released months before, but it still didn't help.

I don't think that was their implication (that it failed because of BF3/CoD release dates). I think he's just saying that Brink just couldn't live up to the style of games that CoD and BF3 are (CoD's cinematic experience, BF3's scope)... Brink is just years behind in terms of design and features to be able to compete with modern shooter design.

They probably would be better off having been split up. Brink will forever be a burning stain on this company's already lackluster profile.

Yes, you're right....wana hear that again? YOU ARE SO RIGHT! ;-) Seriously, I agree now that I have re-read it....I sometimes read through things too fast......

The original ET is their claim to fame, but they've been sliding down hill since. I enjoyed ET: QW, but that was short lived and was quickly forgotten when COD: MW1 MP gained popularity.

23. Re: Splash Damage's Next Game Nov 17, 2011, 15:13 eunichron

MajorD wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 11:57:

I don't think that is the reason at all, as it was released months before, but it still didn't help.

I don't think that was their implication (that it failed because of BF3/CoD release dates). I think he's just saying that Brink just couldn't live up to the style of games that CoD and BF3 are (CoD's cinematic experience, BF3's scope)... Brink is just years behind in terms of design and features to be able to compete with modern shooter design.

They probably would be better off having been split up. Brink will forever be a burning stain on this company's already lackluster profile.

22. Re: Splash Damage's Next Game Nov 17, 2011, 13:10 Alamar

Cutter wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 13:04:
Limited success? LOL! Oh man, you gotta love the marketing speak. Well after Brink I won't be looking at anymore of their games unless every site and gamer out there declares it better than the second coming.

Like going from Invisible War to... Human Revolution.

-Alamar

21. Re: Splash Damage's Next Game Nov 17, 2011, 13:04 Verno

DangerDog wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 12:59:
Yep, Marvel Comic superhero's

Disney owns it and most definitely has given up on console publishing business.

I wouldn't greenlight this project in a million years.

Brink...

Number of people playing brink world wide wouldn't fill up a McDonalds restaurant

Wow I knew it was bad but those are just depressing stats, primetime or not.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

20. Re: Splash Damage's Next Game "One of the Biggest American Pop Culture Brands" Nov 17, 2011, 13:04 Cutter

Limited success? LOL! Oh man, you gotta love the marketing speak. Well after Brink I won't be looking at anymore of their games unless every site and gamer out there declares it better than the second coming.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

19. Re: Splash Damage's Next Game Nov 17, 2011, 12:59 DangerDog

Yep, Marvel Comic superhero's

Disney owns it and most definitely has given up on console publishing business.

I wouldn't greenlight this project in a million years.

Brink...

Number of people playing brink world wide wouldn't fill up a McDonalds restaurant

18. Re: Splash Damage's Next Game Nov 17, 2011, 12:55 MajorD

Nope, you're all wrong, it is 'The Brady Bunch'!

17. Re: Splash Damage's Next Game Nov 17, 2011, 12:29 Overon

The Mythbusters have demonstrated that you can indeed polish a turd.  

16. Re: Splash Damage's Next Game Nov 17, 2011, 12:15 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 10:21:
A polished brink engine sounds like trying to spit shine a turd.
Exactly. After Brink I think it will be very unlikely I've ever buy another Splash Damage title, especially not if it's based on the Brink engine. The concept, visuals and marketing were great... yet the game was still a disaster. There's barely anybody playing it.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

15. Re: Splash Damage's Next Game Nov 17, 2011, 11:57 MajorD

I don't think that is the reason at all, as it was released months before, but it still didn't help. It was a game where the marketing was better than the game itself. It fell flat because it lacked refinement/polish before it was released, and most everyone moved on already by the time the refinement/polish was implemented.

It wasn’t a bad game; it had a lot of potential, but just wasn’t executed well.

14. Re: Splash Damage's Next Game Nov 17, 2011, 11:53 Beelzebud

The "Brink Engine" is just Id Tech 4. Given that they made Quake Wars with it, you'd think they'd know how to use the engine by now.  

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo