Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Capcom, Free Burnout Paradise (U.K.) Join Origin

Capcom announces a couple of their games are now available on EA's Origin service: "If you're one of the millions who've visited EA's Origin digital delivery service, we have some good news for you. And if you're not one of those millions, maybe the addition of PC Capcom titles - namely Super SFIV Arcade Edition and Dead Rising 2 Off the Record - will entice you to check it out." Also, Develop has word that the service is offering users a free copy of Burnout Paradise, though this is apparently only for U.K. residents.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Capcom, Free Burnout Paradise (U.K.) Join Origin Nov 17, 2011, 00:08 netnerd85

killer_roach wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 18:53:
Honestly, I'm glad somebody is giving a credible threat to Steam, even though, to be perfectly frank, Origin isn't really what I had in mind.
I think Green Man Gaming is doing a great job, they need to expand their support team but I think they give Steam a good run. Being able to trade in games that you probably won't play again is cool, something I didn't ever think I'd use but looking at my shelf of games. There aren't many that I play again, the one's that do get reinstalled don't get played again for long.

With GMG they have better prices for me being in Australia, not regional raping like Steam does.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Capcom, Free Burnout Paradise (U.K.) Join Origin Nov 16, 2011, 22:31 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 20:16:
If you say so, man. If you say so. I just hold Steam to the same standard as everyone else and it irks me others don't.

Haha sure, you hold them to one standard and pretend that standard doesn't exist when anyone else is involved or start carping about how people should lambast Steam instead.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

22. Re: Capcom, Free Burnout Paradise (U.K.) Join Origin Nov 16, 2011, 20:16 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 11:50:
Hahaha... you are so funny when it comes to Steam.

If you say so, man. If you say so. I just hold Steam to the same standard as everyone else and it irks me others don't. For example when Valve give away free stuff it's OMG AWESOME but when EA give away free stuff it's OMG THEY SUCK SO BAD THIS IS A TRAP BAN ORIGIN YEAAHHHH!

It's amusing.

21. Re: Capcom, Free Burnout Paradise (U.K.) Join Origin Nov 16, 2011, 19:56 Zadig

Steam & Amazon already fill all my gaming needs, so I have no reason to ever touch this garbage.  

20. Re: Capcom, Free Burnout Paradise (U.K.) Join Origin Nov 16, 2011, 19:40 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 19:11:
Even still, there are things about Origin I love, in particular the ability to aggregate games no matter where you purchased them from (with the exception, from time to time, of Steam). For EA games, I'm no longer tied down to "well, let's wait for a Steam sale" - I can hit anybody's sale and tie it to Origin. Once in a while that sale comes from Origin itself, but usually not (GamersGate, Direct2Drive, Green Man Gaming, Amazon... have put games from all of them into Origin).

Can't you do this with Steam too?

Btw, I can't wait for the day when EA finds a way to block your aggregated games, that you bought elsewhere, because you said the words Evil Empire on their forum. :p

You can add non-Steam games to Steam, but you can't download them through Steam, you can't update them through Steam... they just show up in the list. I can buy Need For Speed: The Run from GamersGate (which I did) and download (and re-download) it through Origin - bypassing the distribution service completely.

The forum thing, as you've alluded to, is worrying, but that doesn't change the fact that this level of aggregation is, on balance, a Good Thing (especially in comparison to the alternatives out there).

19. Re: Capcom, Free Burnout Paradise (U.K.) Join Origin Nov 16, 2011, 19:11 Creston

Even still, there are things about Origin I love, in particular the ability to aggregate games no matter where you purchased them from (with the exception, from time to time, of Steam). For EA games, I'm no longer tied down to "well, let's wait for a Steam sale" - I can hit anybody's sale and tie it to Origin. Once in a while that sale comes from Origin itself, but usually not (GamersGate, Direct2Drive, Green Man Gaming, Amazon... have put games from all of them into Origin).

Can't you do this with Steam too?

Btw, I can't wait for the day when EA finds a way to block your aggregated games, that you bought elsewhere, because you said the words Evil Empire on their forum. :p

Creston

18. Re: Capcom, Free Burnout Paradise (U.K.) Join Origin Nov 16, 2011, 18:53 killer_roach

Honestly, I'm glad somebody is giving a credible threat to Steam, even though, to be perfectly frank, Origin isn't really what I had in mind.

I like the idea of having the aggregation capability of something like Origin, but a publisher-specific one really doesn't work in most circumstances (for me, it would probably be imbecilic for anybody other than EA). Desura is the closest thing I have to it for indies, but I'd love to see the publishers get together and hash out a way of doing what Origin does across all of PC gaming, and then we'll see some real competition in digital distribution without having to necessarily be tied down to one walled garden (see the people who won't buy digital download games unless they're from Steam).

17. Re: Capcom, Free Burnout Paradise (U.K.) Join Origin Nov 16, 2011, 18:39 KilrathiAce

Sorry capcom, no go here.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

16. Re: Capcom, Free Burnout Paradise (U.K.) Join Origin Nov 16, 2011, 16:19 saluk

And with bluray vs hddvd, neither format was really proven until the leader (which happened to be blu ray) emerged. Here we have an existing leader, and an upstart trying to gain ground. It's like if someone tried to introduce HD-DVD NOW.

Honestly though, it makes sense for there to be competition in this space. Having one portal run by a game developer dominate the market is not that great conceptually, it's just that it's been a monopoly that has well served gamers for the most part. Having all of your games in one place, one friends list, standardized rights such as installing on any number of devices, are a real benefit vs fragmentation.

Origin is not the competitor I'd like to see of course, if they get any control over the market things will likely be worse. EA is a big corporation with a lot less respect for gamers than Valve. So in practice its really annoying and potentially scary.

15. Re: Capcom, Free Burnout Paradise (U.K.) Join Origin Nov 16, 2011, 15:01 killer_roach

Darks wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 11:03:
Why would anyone want to drink from a well that is posioned? Not me!!

You know damn well that EA is out there buying off other Developers to use their portal just like Sony did years ago with the Blue ray crap because they were desperate to beat out HD DVD. Which in my opinion was a far superior format.

Ha... HD-DVD was far from a superior format, although it did have a leg up very early on when the first Blu-Ray movies were still being encoded in MPEG-2 while almost everything from HD-DVD was in VC-1. (And I say this as an HD-DVD owner of both a player and about 50 movies - it's good, but it's still an inferior format to Blu-Ray.)

14. Re: Capcom, Free Burnout Paradise (U.K.) Join Origin Nov 16, 2011, 12:50 Verno

J wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 12:14:
Hahaha... you are so funny when it comes to zing!

Toff

Burnout Paradise is a pretty underrated title by the way, people should check it out. The PC version is without a doubt the best way to experience it.

13. Re: Capcom, Free Burnout Paradise (U.K.) Join Origin Nov 16, 2011, 12:40 El Pit

No, no, noooo, we are not trying to bribe you. It is really just a coincidence. No, nooo, nooooo, really. We know you want to be a part of Origin, so we are giving you the free game AFTER signing up, but not FOR signing up. You see the difference? Rrrrright.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

12. removed Nov 16, 2011, 12:25 Icewind

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 16, 2011, 14:58.

11. Re: Capcom, Free Burnout Paradise (U.K.) Join Origin Nov 16, 2011, 12:14 J

Verno wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 11:50:
StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 11:48:
Hahaha... you guys are so funny when it comes to EA.

Hahaha... you are so funny when it comes to zing!

10. Re: Capcom, Free Burnout Paradise (U.K.) Join Origin Nov 16, 2011, 11:52 Lorcin

Found it:

How to get it

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 2011, 12:04.

9. Re: Capcom, Free Burnout Paradise (U.K.) Join Origin Nov 16, 2011, 11:50 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 11:48:

8. Re: Capcom, Free Burnout Paradise (U.K.) Join Origin Nov 16, 2011, 11:48 StingingVelvet

7. Re: Capcom, Free Burnout Paradise (U.K.) Join Origin Nov 16, 2011, 11:41 netnerd85

Shove it EA, shove it hard and far.  

6. Re: Capcom, Free Burnout Paradise (U.K.) Join Origin Nov 16, 2011, 11:32 Kajetan

deqer wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 11:26:
Please take your U.K.-only offer/marketing tactic and kindly shove it up your ass.
I dont mind them making regional advertising deals of products i dont consider of ever being attracted to.

5. Re: Capcom, Free Burnout Paradise (U.K.) Join Origin Nov 16, 2011, 11:26 deqer

If you're [one of the millions] who've visited EA's Origin digital delivery service
Really? You really felt the need to say that? "one of the millions" --- you're trying real hard to sell yourself and origin, because you're hurtin'

Also, Develop has word that the service is offering users a free copy of Burnout Paradise, though this is apparently only for U.K. residents.
Please take your U.K.-only offer/marketing tactic and kindly shove it up your ass.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo