Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Final Fantasy Action/RPG?

MCV has a quote from Final Fantasy XIII-2 producer Yoshinori Kitase on the future of the series, saying the increasing popularity of action/RPGs is "a trend you ignore at your peril." They cite a story on Edge that also quotes him saying "FFXIII and FFXIII-2's battle systems have those elements of speed and action that are the key words for us, though that doesn't necessarily mean we're going to stick to the same route in our next game," he said. "That's something only time can tell." Interestingly, the story on Edge returns an "access denied" error, and a story on the same topic on Eurogamer now returns a "404 Page not found" error.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Final Fantasy Action/RPG? Nov 18, 2011, 01:02 Kitkoan

Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 09:24:

That game was nearly a masterpiece, it's a shame the producer had a nervous breakdown towards the end due to pressure from management and the rest of the game had to be rushed to completion. It had a far more mature, interesting story and Ivalice was incredibly well realized with a ton of lore, backstory and hidden quests to do. There was a ton of grindy JRPG shit to do but it was all optional and some of the dungeon runs in that game were right up there with classic western games. I wish we could have seen that game on a better hardware platform.

There is always emulators: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxv_yFjcRy4 FF12 on full HD

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Final Fantasy Action/RPG? Nov 17, 2011, 09:24 Verno

Kitkoan wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 17:23:
Icewind wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 12:30:
I left that series after the ass-tastic FF8. Done after that.

Am I the only one who likes FF8? Granted was the last one I really enjoyed. Didn't play FF9, FF10 wasn't really good, don't play online games, FF12 was too much AI and not enough me playing, haven't really touched FF13, won't be buying the new one

I don't get that complaint about FF12 at all. You can literally disable the AI and do all of the commands yourself like every other FF game made. People instead chose to leave it on and complain about it. All of the AI does is remove the tedious bits like pushing X to attack every 5 seconds, it does as much or as little as you want. FF12 had its problems but the combat scripting concept was solid and let you micro-manage the interesting parts of combat while smoothing over the bullshit.

That game was nearly a masterpiece, it's a shame the producer had a nervous breakdown towards the end due to pressure from management and the rest of the game had to be rushed to completion. It had a far more mature, interesting story and Ivalice was incredibly well realized with a ton of lore, backstory and hidden quests to do. There was a ton of grindy JRPG shit to do but it was all optional and some of the dungeon runs in that game were right up there with classic western games. I wish we could have seen that game on a better hardware platform.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

12. Re: Final Fantasy Action/RPG? Nov 17, 2011, 00:17 Tanto Edge

Every Final Fantasy up until VIII followed a formula. IX went back to that formula, and X decided that crimes of passion aren't limited to people, and committed a murder most heinous.

The changes they made along the way were the growing pains of any franchise but they've always maintained the staples and even the seeming drastic changes are typically just renamed or retooled versions of the old.
An example of this is the sphere grid in X, which is fancy and daunting at first glance is really just a skill tree like any other.
Occasionally you're given the opportunity to branch, but only after you've followed the system for however long.

Bah, fuck this shit. Skyrim awaits.

Blackhawk wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 21:07:
deqer wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 13:30:
though that doesn't necessarily mean we're going to stick to the same route in our next game,"
Yes! After all the time players spend learning a system; you go and change the system. Yes, players love when system changes. You ass twat.

Yeah, because it isn't like every single title in the series has had a completely different system...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

11. Re: Final Fantasy Action/RPG? Nov 17, 2011, 00:14 Prez

I'd play any non-online Final Fantasy game that came to PC. Still hoping GOG picks up the earlier titles that made it to PC. I wouldn't play the MMO FF games if they paid me by the month.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Final Fantasy Action/RPG? Nov 16, 2011, 23:35 Kitkoan

Cram wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 21:43:
Didn't make sense: Everything that happened in Space. All of it. Ragnarok, Squall flying around / spacewalking, why a space program even exists, why Adel (think that's the name) is up there and why didn't they just throw Adel in a Volcano, why are there armies of monsters on the moon and why don't they immediately destroy civilization when they land on Earth. Where do they even go? Just just land and that's the last you hear of it.

My answer about didn't make sense (in spoiler mode)
The reason for Adel in space made perfect sense and I felt was hinted at enough. Adel in space meant they were locked in a prison that couldn't have been broken into, so no monster armies could mount a prison break to free her. Punishment for her Sorceress War she started. By holding her in space and not "throw her in a volcano" means that her powers are "locked" inside her (if you read the lore parts, the whole war was because Adel was looking for a suitable successor for her powers.) If they did just out right kill her, her powers would have just entered a new person and continued their will (like how Rinoa was possessed to free Adel, someone more powerful and more experienced, aka a better sorceress and why they didn't just stay with Rinoa) (and would have twice the power).
As for the whole space program, figured it would have been built around keeping Abel in her space prison and keeping it from falling back to earth (like a satellite). The monsters on the moon... don't remember enough about that part but there is a small island with monsters like those on the moon that can only be reached by the plane, might be where they went.

9. Re: Final Fantasy Action/RPG? Nov 16, 2011, 21:43 Cram

Am I the only one who likes FF8?
Nah I enjoyed it too, despite some things not making sense, being broken or just plain ridiculous. Best soundtrack in the series next to FFVI's. There are enough issues in this game, however, to justify the hate it gets from many. Some examples (there are more than what I will mention here) of the issues I mentioned, if you can get over some of these there's a good game in there {spoiler tag highlight below):

Didn't make sense: Everything that happened in Space. All of it. Ragnarok, Squall flying around / spacewalking, why a space program even exists, why Adel (think that's the name) is up there and why didn't they just throw Adel in a Volcano, why are there armies of monsters on the moon and why don't they immediately destroy civilization when they land on Earth. Where do they even go? Just just land and that's the last you hear of it.

Broken: Junction System. Within an hour of playing the game, you can draw enough magic to make your characters gods, powerful enough to own the first half of the game.

Ridiculous: Rinoa/Squall romantic relationship. Just as absurd as the Anakin/Amidala deal in the prequel Star Wars eps. There's just no reason (in the narrative or anywhere else) for them to have developed any kind of relationship, absolutely god awful writing there.

8. Re: Final Fantasy Action/RPG? Nov 16, 2011, 21:07 Blackhawk

deqer wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 13:30:
though that doesn't necessarily mean we're going to stick to the same route in our next game,"
Yes! After all the time players spend learning a system; you go and change the system. Yes, players love when system changes. You ass twat.

Yeah, because it isn't like every single title in the series has had a completely different system...

7. Re: Final Fantasy Action/RPG? Nov 16, 2011, 19:25 Domgrief

Am I the only one who likes FF8?

I enjoyed playing it too, as well as FFX and to some extent X-2. I think FF7 told a brilliant story with great characters, though, and it stands out as the most memorable game. I also skipped FF9 and didn't play the MMOs.

I played FF12 for about 10 hours before it occurred to me that I didn't enjoy the battles, didn't care about the characters and didn't really have any idea what the cutscenes were about. I still have difficulty reconciling my experience with the game's phenomenal reviews.

6. Re: Final Fantasy Action/RPG? Nov 16, 2011, 18:13 Wallshadows

I would much rather see another Tactics title but what the hell do I know...  

5. Re: Final Fantasy Action/RPG? Nov 16, 2011, 17:23 Kitkoan

Icewind wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 12:30:
I left that series after the ass-tastic FF8. Done after that.

Am I the only one who likes FF8? Granted was the last one I really enjoyed. Didn't play FF9, FF10 wasn't really good, don't play online games, FF12 was too much AI and not enough me playing, haven't really touched FF13, won't be buying the new one

4. Re: Final Fantasy Action/RPG? Nov 16, 2011, 14:28 PHJF

What about the millions more that actually still bought the damn thing?

"Fool me once..."

Steam + PSN: PHJF

3. Re: Final Fantasy Action/RPG? Nov 16, 2011, 13:30 deqer

2. Re: Final Fantasy Action/RPG? Nov 16, 2011, 12:30 Icewind

Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 11:13:
You know what's also a trend you ignore at your peril? The six million FF fans who thought FF13 was shit.

Creston

What about the millions more that actually still bought the damn thing?

Sheep will buy anything. I left that series after the ass-tastic FF8. Done after that.

1. Re: Final Fantasy Action/RPG? Nov 16, 2011, 11:13 Creston

You know what's also a trend you ignore at your peril? The six million FF fans who thought FF13 was shit.

Creston

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo