Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ghost Recon Turns Ten

In celebration of the tenth anniversary of the release of the original Ghost Recon, Ghostrecon.net asks ten questions of Darren Chukitis, lead producer on the first installment in the tactical shooter series. He speaks of his take on more recent entries in the series: "Ubisoft has taken the product in a different direction than I would-but I wish them all the best and my friends still at RSE." He also says how he would like to see a new game in the spirit of the original: "I do. I hope someday to be involved in bringing back the squad tactics of GR and combine them with tech of today-no other product does that currently."

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Ghost Recon Turns Ten Nov 16, 2011, 21:51 Prez

Good game, but... I absolutely *hated* not being able to see your weapon in GR and the early R6's. It totally ruined any kind of immersion for me.

And an even worse blasphemy, I find the badness of the "Advanced Warfighter" games to be massively, ridiculously overblown. To me they are great fun, especially in coop.

Go ahead, revoke my fogey PC gamer membership card, but I can't help but be honest.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Ghost Recon Turns Ten Nov 16, 2011, 20:23 Bumpy

Syndicate will revive the tactical shooter genre. Oh wait....

10. Re: Ghost Recon Turns Ten Nov 16, 2011, 20:14 Akuinnen

The first game really blew my mind. I loved the squad based tactics, instant death and the lack of health packs. It kills me that they threw all of that away to make a crappy CoD/BF console clone. The good news is that modders came out with some great addons and missions.  

9. Re: Ghost Recon Turns Ten Nov 16, 2011, 17:53 zirik

Aero wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 17:40:
Also liked watching the replays.

ditto. what was great about the replays was the fact that they were not recorded video. the replays were recorded game data that plays back using the graphics engine. i love the way you can free look, change playback speed and camera point of view.

8. Re: Ghost Recon Turns Ten Nov 16, 2011, 17:49 zirik

Shok wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 11:53:
I thought at first they were giving it away for free when I saw that "In celebration of the tenth anniversary" but, alas, no freebies and it being Ubisoft you would probably have to stay connected to the internet to play their free games too.

i was also hoping for a giveaway too. i would even pay for an updated graphics version of the original a la halo anniversary. they did release an ad supported ghost recon a while back but for some reason deactivated it.

7. Re: Ghost Recon Turns Ten Nov 16, 2011, 17:40 Aero

I'm a little amazed that the original GR hasn't been bested yet. It really got it right with a simple interface and controls, but a lot of depth to the actual strategy and gameplay.

It was perfect: ROE, squad movement, and cover arcs and that's it--all controlled through a basic pop-up map. It couldn't be easier or simpler, but it gave you all the freedom and control you needed to plan out your strategies exactly. I'm sure even the general console crowd could cope with it.

Also, even though there wasn't any "character development" in the silly melodramatic sense of modern games, by just giving them names and improving their abilities with experience, I was more attached to the characters in GR than any other game I can think of. I still remember Chung because he was so effective with the SAW. When he bought it, I was actually a little sad. He'd saved the whole squad a number of times.

Also liked watching the replays.

6. Re: Ghost Recon Turns Ten Nov 16, 2011, 16:25 Marvin T. Martian

Yep. it was such a great game, once upon a time.

"I hope someday to be involved in bringing back the squad tactics of GR and combine them with tech of today-no other product does that currently."
Please please please

5. Re: Ghost Recon Turns Ten Nov 16, 2011, 14:15 Rocky

Shok wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 11:53:
I thought at first they were giving it away for free when I saw that "In celebration of the tenth anniversary" but, alas, no freebies and it being Ubisoft you would probably have to stay connected to the internet to play their free games too.

We did though (ghostrecon.net), times 20! GR.net gave away 20 full Ghost Recon packs with every game in the series leading up to the birthday

4. Re: Ghost Recon Turns Ten Nov 16, 2011, 12:55 Shineyguy

Verno wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 11:29:
The first Ghost Recon was amazing and you can still find people playing it in dedicated communities. It had a decent mod scene and managed to make the gameplay fun while retaining the strategic elements that people enjoyed from the early Rainbow Six games. It's a shame what Ubisoft has done to these franchises over time.

I agree. Such fond memories of going prone with a machine gun and setting up for an ambush. Incredibly great game, and good mods as you said.

Subsequent games jumped the shark and sucked IMO.

3. Re: Ghost Recon Turns Ten Nov 16, 2011, 11:53 Shok

2. Re: Ghost Recon Turns Ten Nov 16, 2011, 11:44 netnerd85

Squad tactics needs to come back. Bring back Rainbow Six and Hidden & Dangerous to their original glory.  

1. Re: Ghost Recon Turns Ten Nov 16, 2011, 11:29 Verno

The first Ghost Recon was amazing and you can still find people playing it in dedicated communities. It had a decent mod scene and managed to make the gameplay fun while retaining the strategic elements that people enjoyed from the early Rainbow Six games. It's a shame what Ubisoft has done to these franchises over time.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo