Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ghost Recon Turns Ten

In celebration of the tenth anniversary of the release of the original Ghost Recon, Ghostrecon.net asks ten questions of Darren Chukitis, lead producer on the first installment in the tactical shooter series. He speaks of his take on more recent entries in the series: "Ubisoft has taken the product in a different direction than I would-but I wish them all the best and my friends still at RSE." He also says how he would like to see a new game in the spirit of the original: "I do. I hope someday to be involved in bringing back the squad tactics of GR and combine them with tech of today-no other product does that currently."

View
7. Re: Ghost Recon Turns Ten Nov 16, 2011, 17:40 Aero

I'm a little amazed that the original GR hasn't been bested yet. It really got it right with a simple interface and controls, but a lot of depth to the actual strategy and gameplay.

It was perfect: ROE, squad movement, and cover arcs and that's it--all controlled through a basic pop-up map. It couldn't be easier or simpler, but it gave you all the freedom and control you needed to plan out your strategies exactly. I'm sure even the general console crowd could cope with it.

Also, even though there wasn't any "character development" in the silly melodramatic sense of modern games, by just giving them names and improving their abilities with experience, I was more attached to the characters in GR than any other game I can think of. I still remember Chung because he was so effective with the SAW. When he bought it, I was actually a little sad. He'd saved the whole squad a number of times.

Also liked watching the replays.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Nov 16, 11:29 Re: Ghost Recon Turns Ten Verno
  4. Nov 16, 12:55  Re: Ghost Recon Turns Ten Shineyguy
  2. Nov 16, 11:44 Re: Ghost Recon Turns Ten netnerd85
  3. Nov 16, 11:53  Re: Ghost Recon Turns Ten Shok
  5. Nov 16, 14:15   Re: Ghost Recon Turns Ten Rocky
  8. Nov 16, 17:49   Re: Ghost Recon Turns Ten zirik
  6. Nov 16, 16:25 Re: Ghost Recon Turns Ten Marvin T. Martian
>> 7. Nov 16, 17:40  Re: Ghost Recon Turns Ten Aero
  9. Nov 16, 17:53   Re: Ghost Recon Turns Ten zirik