Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Minecraft Mod Support

The Word of Notch has word on this weekend's MineCon festivities, as well as a bit on Minecraft, including an apology for forgetting about mod support:

The last few weeks have been incredibly stressful and emotional in many ways, and I feel so relieved to finally have a finished version of Minecraft to release to the world on Friday. But that doesn’t mean we’ll stop working on Minecraft! We’ll keep adding to the game just as we have so far, and we have many exciting plans for the next year.. some of these will be announced fairly soon.

One thing that kind of fell between chairs is the mod support.. Sorry about that, I take full responsibility for letting that get forgotten about. But when it comes to the new launcher, it got folded into a new exciting project I won’t talk about yet.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: On Minecraft Mod Support Nov 17, 2011, 05:53 Fletch

Fibrocyte wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 12:01:
Hmmm... I disagree on all points.

Nothing else? Troll verified.

I've played this awesome game for probably hundreds of hours without mods. There are lots of mods for it because people love the game, not because it's broke. It may not be what you think it should have been, but only an incredible ignoramous maintains what millions of happy Minecraft players prove otherwise. Best 13 bucks I ever spent on a video game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: On Minecraft Mod Support Nov 17, 2011, 05:18 Fletch

Tanto Edge wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 22:57:
...nope, don't care.

Don't care.

19. Re: On Minecraft Mod Support Nov 16, 2011, 12:55 Razumen

Fibrocyte wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 11:14:
Why is this a troll? He sold something that wasn't even a finished product and made millions off it. Now, what he considers a finished product (officially released), requires mods to be what it should have been.

It's not a troll. You're just upset that I disagree with your viewpoint.

He clearly says that they'll still be adding to the game post release, so although it might be 'officially' done, I doubt that they won't add anything new at all post release.

And any modder knows that charging for a mod is very much likely to kill the chances of anyone ever playing their mod, not to mention the backlash that would happen in the modding community and the very questionably legal status of even trying to do so.

What MC should be is whatever Notch wants it to be. I don't remember him promising any grand plans for the game and falling short of them. I really hate this sort of self-entitlement.

18. Re: On Minecraft Mod Support Nov 16, 2011, 12:42 Verno

Damn those shysters at <Company> for providing an SDK! I disagree most vehemently!!! *stuffs cheetos in mouth*  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

17. Re: On Minecraft Mod Support Nov 16, 2011, 12:01 Fibrocyte

Verno wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 11:37:
Why is this a troll? He sold something that wasn't even a finished product and made millions off it.

There isn't anything wrong with that, he was fully up front with what people were buying and has always offered a free version that functions as a demo. People were able to enjoy it and use the product regardless of its version number.

Now, what he considers a finished product (officially released), requires mods to be what it should have been.

That's just your opinion and you don't speak for anyone else. I played Minecraft without mods and fully enjoyed the experience. He's adding mod framework because people want to customize their experience with the game, not because the game is fatally flawed without it. That's part of what makes Minecraft so powerful that you don't seem to understand, it's many different things to many people despite being one core product. Many people choose to extend the replay value of the game with mods and that's their right, he is under no obligation to compensate people based on what people do with his game though.

No, it's a troll. The language you used and the inability to see or consider another view point are what clearly labels it a troll. Not to mention it was downright stupid, as if he should be liable to somehow distribute money to others based on random people doing things to his game that he probably doesn't even have knowledge of.

Hmmm... I disagree on all points.

16. Re: On Minecraft Mod Support Nov 16, 2011, 11:37 Verno

Why is this a troll? He sold something that wasn't even a finished product and made millions off it.

There isn't anything wrong with that, he was fully up front with what people were buying and has always offered a free version that functions as a demo. People were able to enjoy it and use the product regardless of its version number.

Now, what he considers a finished product (officially released), requires mods to be what it should have been.

That's just your opinion and you don't speak for anyone else. I played Minecraft without mods and fully enjoyed the experience. He's adding mod framework because people want to customize their experience with the game, not because the game is fatally flawed without it. That's part of what makes Minecraft so powerful that you don't seem to understand, it's many different things to many people despite being one core product. Many people choose to extend the replay value of the game with mods and that's their right, he is under no obligation to compensate people based on what people do with his game though.

No, it's a troll. The language you used and the inability to see or consider another view point are what clearly labels it a troll. Not to mention it was downright stupid, as if he should be liable to somehow distribute money to others based on random people doing things to his game that he probably doesn't even have knowledge of.

15. Re: On Minecraft Mod Support Nov 16, 2011, 11:31 Fibrocyte

nin wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 11:16:

I don't agree with that statement at all.

That's fine, but plenty of people do.

14. Re: On Minecraft Mod Support Nov 16, 2011, 11:16 nin

I don't agree with that statement at all.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: On Minecraft Mod Support Nov 16, 2011, 11:14 Fibrocyte

Verno wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 09:55:
Fibrocyte wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 09:52:
Yet only Notch benefits financially... Go go shyster Notch!

He doesn't charge people for others work so your shyster troll is unsurprisingly invalid. People can charge whatever they want for their mod and distribute it however they please, the fact is that most mods aren't worth paying for which is why we see so few paid ones.

I'm not sure the message we want to send to companies (small or large) is that they are liable for collecting revenues on behalf of mod makers either. That will be a quick way to kill modding scenes for new games, what little we see these days. I'd rather be allowed to do it within the context of the license myself, I don't want a publisher/developer doing it for me.

Why is this a troll? He sold something that wasn't even a finished product and made millions off it. Now, what he considers a finished product (officially released), requires mods to be what it should have been.

12. Re: On Minecraft Mod Support Nov 16, 2011, 10:33 DeadlyAccurate

tuddies wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 08:21:
Mods ARE Minecraft!

If you are playing vanilla Minecraft, you will be bored out of your skull in a few hours. Mods add almost all of the gameplay and content to your Minecraft world.

None of us are bored yet in the couple weeks we've been playing. We do plan to mod the server once the official release is out and Bukkit is updated, but for now we're still discovering new things.

I hope it becomes easier for many of those single player mods to be ported to multiplayer. They look fantastic, but I doubt the group would want me to constantly give them complicated instructions on how to install this or that mod. I'm one of those who ran FCOM + MMM + OOO in Oblivion, plus dozens more, so I'm familiar with complicated mod installs, but most don't have the tolerance for that.

11. Re: On Minecraft Mod Support Nov 16, 2011, 09:55 Verno

Fibrocyte wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 09:52:

He doesn't charge people for others work so your shyster troll is unsurprisingly invalid. People can charge whatever they want for their mod and distribute it however they please, the fact is that most mods aren't worth paying for which is why we see so few paid ones.

I'm not sure the message we want to send to companies (small or large) is that they are liable for collecting revenues on behalf of mod makers either. That will be a quick way to kill modding scenes for new games, what little we see these days. I'd rather be allowed to do it within the context of the license myself, I don't want a publisher/developer doing it for me.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 2011, 10:04.

10. Re: On Minecraft Mod Support Nov 16, 2011, 09:52 Fibrocyte

tuddies wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 08:21:
Mods ARE Minecraft!

If you are playing vanilla Minecraft, you will be bored out of your skull in a few hours. Mods add almost all of the gameplay and content to your Minecraft world.

9. Re: On Minecraft Mod Support Nov 16, 2011, 08:21 tuddies

Mods ARE Minecraft!

8. Re: On Minecraft Mod Support Nov 16, 2011, 02:08 ViRGE

skyguy wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 23:31:
I'm not a Minecraft player (never have and never will be), but I am curious, what exactly does the "mod support" comment mean? Like, retail Minecraft doesn't work with mods at all? Or you have to create your own shortcut or ini file to use a mod?
Currently to mod the game you have to modify the executable itself (in the form of the precompiled Java class files) rather than just assets and scripts. The idea is that in the future there will be a way to mod the game without modifying the executable.

7. Re: On Minecraft Mod Support Nov 16, 2011, 01:44 Razumen

Grokk wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 01:38:
There are a couple of mods that add 'plugin' support, so you can just drop other compatible plugins into a plugin folder and they just work.

The catch I guess, is you still need to inject the initial mod into the jar file before the rest works.

Exactly, and that still doesn't help for servers. Basically my hope is that if you connect to a server that needs mods it will either redirect you to the download site or download the mods automatically. (Provided that there's some way to ensure users don't download any malicious addons I suppose)

6. Re: On Minecraft Mod Support Nov 16, 2011, 01:38 Grokk

There are a couple of mods that add 'plugin' support, so you can just drop other compatible plugins into a plugin folder and they just work.

The catch I guess, is you still need to inject the initial mod into the jar file before the rest works.

5. Re: On Minecraft Mod Support Nov 16, 2011, 00:58 Razumen

Minecraft desperately needs mod support, especially for servers. There's a lot of cool mods I'd love to use on my server, but it's really too much to ask everyone to all install the necessary mods before they connect; not everyone is comfortable with the amount of work mods need right now.

As for whether the mods are compatible or not, there will always be that sort of problem, but with an official way to load mods there will at least be some sort of standard for it that will be more accessible for the average user.

Also, hopefully mod support means there will be less obfuscation of the game code. Every new release that comes out has to be checked over and worked into a format that makes it comprehensible for the average modder.

4. Re: On Minecraft Mod Support Nov 16, 2011, 00:10 MisterBenn

I understand he's talking about the front page menu option which suggests you could select and enable mods in the same way that you do texture packs. The text has been there for a while but to install mods you currently still need to open the jar file manually in an archive editor and inject the files of the mod that you require.

At the most basic level I think this would be automated somehow - however it opens a can of worms in that many mods are incompatible and can prevent minecraft from starting at all.

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

3. Re: On Minecraft Mod Support Nov 15, 2011, 23:31 skyguy

I'm not a Minecraft player (never have and never will be), but I am curious, what exactly does the "mod support" comment mean? Like, retail Minecraft doesn't work with mods at all? Or you have to create your own shortcut or ini file to use a mod?

2. Re: On Minecraft Mod Support Nov 15, 2011, 22:57 Tanto Edge

...nope, don't care.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo