Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours?

According to the guesstimate on VGChartz, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has sold over 3.4 million copies in 48 hours, a figure which does not include digital sales. They say: "59% of units were sold on the X360 (over 2 million copies) and 27% on the PS3, with 14% on PC." Thanks Lens of Truth via Reddit.

View
68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

28. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 11:51 Quboid

wonkawonka wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:38:
Quboid wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:36:
So, yes, some PC gamers are entitled shits. I knew it was too much to hope for.

Some of the textures close up are quite low resolution, but that's what we paid for. That's not a bug and Skyrim wasn't mis-sold. When I saw it was about 6GB I thought the textures probably wouldn't be great but if they brought out a 15GB, parallax mapped patch then I would be very happy, but I'm not entitled to it and I've no right to clamour for it.

I didn't know it was 6GB and in fact I was sold a totally PC experience, no consolitis. I'm not really pissed off because I know that the shit UI will get modded to death, but I would very much appreciate the (by now) usual "click here to download hi-res textures".

Usual?!? How the hell is that usual? DA2 got a patch I think, Crysis 2 too.

You were sold a PC experience and you got a PC experience. I'm mostly fine with the UI (there are parts I'd change) but of course it's going to be heavily console influenced.

High resolution textures probably will be modded in, there's already a hi-res blood texture mod.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 11:49 Acleacius

No wonder Nexus is chugging like a Model A, PC count must be through the roof.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

26. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 11:42 Mashiki Amiketo

Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:30:
LOL.

Hey, I only played it for like 42 hours since Friday!

/did put in 40 minutes before work this morning.

Creston
I'm just short of you on that. 40 hours so far. hah. I still haven't gotten very far on the main quest either. Working on the mage college stuff.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

25. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 11:38 wonkawonka

Quboid wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:36:

Some of the textures close up are quite low resolution, but that's what we paid for. That's not a bug and Skyrim wasn't mis-sold. When I saw it was about 6GB I thought the textures probably wouldn't be great but if they brought out a 15GB, parallax mapped patch then I would be very happy, but I'm not entitled to it and I've no right to clamour for it.

I didn't know it was 6GB and in fact I was sold a totally PC experience, no consolitis. I'm not really pissed off because I know that the shit UI will get modded to death, but I would very much appreciate the (by now) usual "click here to download hi-res textures".

24. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 11:36 wonkawonka

Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:27:
Btw, I HATE that they did loot the exact same way as in Oblivion. It's horseshit. Yes, the bandits aren't walking around in Daedric armor, but even so, it's fucking stupid that you can't find any decent loot when you're low level. Isn't that the whole POINT of exploring? That when I find a chest guarded by a puzzle and a Master lock, I get something decent when I open it? Rather than 14 fucking gold and a potion of fucking Stamina???

I'm with you on that. I did once manage to steal an elf bow, but I think it was a special case: it was in the display case of the earl or something like that. I can't think of any other RPG where I had to actually MAKE all my fucking armor and weapons because what I found isn't good enough to match it (and all at less than 20/100 smithing).

23. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 11:36 Quboid

Verno wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:27:
wonkawonka wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:25:
Are you kidding? While the game doesn't "look like crap", it still does look dated, circa 2008. The textures are weak, weak, weak. So yes, I for one will be clamoring for higher res textures.

Calling them weak seems a bit much. I'd love for higher quality ones but they don't detract from the experience in any way and thematically most seem to fit very well.

Nope. The launcher requires steam, the game itself doesn't. You can fudge down the skyrim stats by simply running the skyrim.exe, it's not encrypted. And doesn't require steam to run.

Right but everyone has to at least activate on Steam was his point I guess. Sure there will be people running it without Steam but I don't think that'll be significant numbers. The concurrent figures are impressive but don't tell the whole story, I'm sure the figure far surpasses it considering all of the timezone nonsense, differing routines and so on.

You could be right about the Steam stats then. I bought it through Steam so I was just using the fact that Steam is a PC requirement, but if that is easily by-passed then it's not reliable.

- Quboid

22. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 11:30 Creston

Quboid wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:22:
With the probably exception of Creston, we didn't play it 24 hours a day

LOL.

Hey, I only played it for like 42 hours since Friday!

/did put in 40 minutes before work this morning.

Creston

21. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 11:27 Creston

Verno wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:10:
Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:07:
And this is why we get a shitty UI.

/mods already in the work.

Creston

Once I fixed the mouse sensitivity problems I didn't really mind the UI. There's a bit too much scrolling but the sub-categories take care of that for the most part. Then again I actually use my houses for storage and don't walk around like a mobile armory so *shrug*

I keep TRYING not to, but then I stumble on another bandit camp, and five minutes later I'm loaded with all kinds of loot again.

Btw, I HATE that they did loot the exact same way as in Oblivion. It's horseshit. Yes, the bandits aren't walking around in Daedric armor, but even so, it's fucking stupid that you can't find any decent loot when you're low level. Isn't that the whole POINT of exploring? That when I find a chest guarded by a puzzle and a Master lock, I get something decent when I open it? Rather than 14 fucking gold and a potion of fucking Stamina???

I recently found an underwater ruin where there was a glass mace lying on a table. Sweet! So with my Orc warrior playthrough, I run there to go pick up my sweet weapon. Yeah. For my Orc, the mace was Iron.

Actually, ALL of the loot feels pretty shitty. They're obviously using a Diablo like system, where you have a main range of items, and then you can have a few modifiers to it, so an Iron Mace can be a Hallowed Iron Mace of Fire, for example.

Except that in Skyrim, the modifiers are mostly shitty, and there seems to be maybe a dozen of them, and that's it. I can't even fucking count the amount of weapons I've found that "make undead flee."

Is there really NOBODY at Bethesda who understands that part of the fun in a big open-world RPG is going into a very dangerous area, and managing to sneak out with a Daedric weapon, or piece of armor? They fucking knew this in Morrowind?!

I guess we'll have to wait for Oscuro's successor to fix that.

Creston

20. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 11:27 Verno

wonkawonka wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:25:
Are you kidding? While the game doesn't "look like crap", it still does look dated, circa 2008. The textures are weak, weak, weak. So yes, I for one will be clamoring for higher res textures.

Calling them weak seems a bit much. I'd love for higher quality ones but they don't detract from the experience in any way and thematically most seem to fit very well.

Nope. The launcher requires steam, the game itself doesn't. You can fudge down the skyrim stats by simply running the skyrim.exe, it's not encrypted. And doesn't require steam to run.

Right but everyone has to at least activate on Steam was his point I guess. Sure there will be people running it without Steam but I don't think that'll be significant numbers. The concurrent figures are impressive but don't tell the whole story, I'm sure the figure far surpasses it considering all of the timezone nonsense, differing routines and so on. Also the source for the sales figures seems to be vgchartz so a big whatever anyway, let's see what Bethesda says instead.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2011, 11:32.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

19. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 11:25 wonkawonka

Fibrocyte wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 10:42:
The game looks quite amazing. I can't imagine anyone stomping their feet demanding a DX11 patch.

18. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 11:23 Mashiki Amiketo

Steam almost hit 290k(289k) concurrent users on sunday. Figuring the variety of digital services and all that, PC sales were probably in the 1m range easily.

Quboid wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:22:
Except Skyrim requires Steam, so even the 476K people who did buy physical copies will show up on Steam's stats.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

17. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 11:22 Quboid

Darks wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 10:53:
Quboid wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 10:44:
Doma wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 10:03:
PC Gamer says:

While only 14% of those copies sold were on PC, those figures donít include digital download numbers, which are sure to be substantial considering the enormous numbers of people playing Skyrim on Steam.

I'm surprised it's as high as 476K units sold on the PC if this doesn't include digital downloads. Does anyone know what percent of PC game sales are digital? Can anyone even make an educated guess? I would have thought it would be several times the number who buy physical copies, but that guess isn't even educated.

I think Skyrim requires Steam, so even people who did buy physical copies will show up on Steam's stats.

I think we can guess that Steam sold well over 300 Thousand units, the other day they posted a record of 231,593 concurrent users on Steam for Skyrim. So i would imagine that they sold around that amount if not more.

Except Skyrim requires Steam, so even the 476K people who did buy physical copies will show up on Steam's stats.

I'm sure most people that bought the game on/before the weekend played it over the weekend, but not concurrently. With the probably exception of Creston, we didn't play it 24 hours a day so even at it's peak, at a guess late evening UK time, mid-afternoon US west coast time, most people who bought it would be doing other things.

- Quboid

16. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 11:10 Verno

Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:07:

Creston

Once I fixed the mouse sensitivity problems I didn't really mind the UI. There's a bit too much scrolling but the sub-categories take care of that for the most part. Then again I actually use my houses for storage and don't walk around like a mobile armory so *shrug*

15. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 11:07 Creston

Creston

14. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 11:07 Beamer

This will hit 1 million PC by the end of the year no problem.
It will probably hit 3-4 million Xbox in the same time.

Game will be unstoppable. I just hope SR3 does well, too. I haven't started either, and won't for a few weeks, but I'm giddy just knowing they're waiting.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 10:58 Verno

wtf_man wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 10:08:
While that may be true, the numbers may not be as big as you think. I mean Steam only peaked at 250k or so concurrent users... and I'm pretty sure most people that bought the game were playing it over the weekend.

I haven't checked but IIRC it was around 275k concurrent peak which is pretty incredible. Someone else can dig and verify that if they like, I'm just repeating it second hand from a buddy who was looking at steam stats on the weekend. Even TF2 and CS haven't put up those kinds of figures. I don't know what reasonable assumptions can be made based on that though, sure it's a weekend so many people are home but just as many people go out on the weekends. Personally I'd at least double that figure as an all-in sales figure but that's still early sales without word of mouth and etc. It could easily be over a million on the PC in a few weeks IMO.

12. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 10:53 Darks

Quboid wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 10:44:
PC Gamer says:

While only 14% of those copies sold were on PC, those figures donít include digital download numbers, which are sure to be substantial considering the enormous numbers of people playing Skyrim on Steam.

I'm surprised it's as high as 476K units sold on the PC if this doesn't include digital downloads. Does anyone know what percent of PC game sales are digital? Can anyone even make an educated guess? I would have thought it would be several times the number who buy physical copies, but that guess isn't even educated.

I think Skyrim requires Steam, so even people who did buy physical copies will show up on Steam's stats.

I think we can guess that Steam sold well over 300 Thousand units, the other day they posted a record of 231,593 concurrent users on Steam for Skyrim. So i would imagine that they sold around that amount if not more.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

11. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 10:53 nin

I would hope my fellow PC gamers aren't such entitled little shits.

I think we both know the answer to that.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

10. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 10:46 Quboid

Fibrocyte wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 10:42:
Halo wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 10:38:
How long before PC gamers demand a D11 patch?

The game looks quite amazing. I can't imagine anyone stomping their feet demanding a DX11 patch.

Have PC gamers ever demanded a DX11 patch, except when it has been promised (e.g. Crysis 2)? I would hope my fellow PC gamers aren't such entitled little shits.

- Quboid

9. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 10:44 Quboid

PC Gamer says:

- Quboid

68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo