Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours?

According to the guesstimate on VGChartz, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has sold over 3.4 million copies in 48 hours, a figure which does not include digital sales. They say: "59% of units were sold on the X360 (over 2 million copies) and 27% on the PS3, with 14% on PC." Thanks Lens of Truth via Reddit.

View
68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

68. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 16, 2011, 04:59 Razumen

For some reason when I skimmed the title I read it as "Minecraft sells 3.4M in 48 hours?"

Reverse-association lawsuit phenomena perhaps?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

67. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 16, 2011, 03:51 wonkawonka

Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 23:18:
Btw, if the bows in Skyrim baffle you as much as they did me, aim-wise, here's the explanation.

Apparently there's a script in place that checks what you were aiming at until about 100 yards out, and then makes the arrow hit that (ie, your arrow exactly hits where you were aiming.) Beyond that 100 yards, the normal parabolic arc takes over.

Oh man, thanks! As a sniper, this was killing me! Shortish distances, I would aim about a yard under to hit the thing, longer distances nothing actually worked!
Also I'm another I-spent-hours-stalking-the-target -and-killing-everyone-stealthily- and-finally-getting-14-gold-in-the-expert-locked-chest.

66. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 16, 2011, 03:45 PHJF

My current weight limit is about 625. It must really suck to be a mage.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

65. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 16, 2011, 03:18 ShakaUVM

LgFriess wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 16:33:
Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 15:32:
Good News

(for those of you who don't get it, darN is making progress is deciphering the new UI setup.)

Edit : Common Sense. Bethesda does not have it.

Creston

Great summary of the UI issues there. Maybe I'm too old school but it seems like an RPG like Skyrim is just crying out for a doll/grid inventory system.

Oh well, love the game and am looking forward to the UI mods.
Oblivion suffered from pretty severe Consolitis (everything was REALLY LARGE SO THAT PEOPLE COULD SEE IT ON A TV), but a UI mod came out pretty quickly for it that made it much more PC friendly.

Skyrim is much much more a console interface -
1) When you hit tab and move your mouse left to select magic, the text appears on the right side of the screen, this is because console people will need to tap left again. But it's horrible for mouse people who have to move to one side of the screen and then the direct opposite.

2) Mouse clicking on menu items is broken. 'Nuff said. You can use WASD to select one menu item, AND click directly on it, and it'll sometimes select a completely different item from the list. This is unexcusably bad for Bethsoft.

3) There's no sorting by weight, armor, value, etc., any more. When I get overburdened (which is much easier in Skyrim than in Oblivion for a variety of reasons) I'd really like to be able to sort everything by weight so I can see that I accidentally looted an iron warhammer that is bogging me down.

Plenty more, and, bugs aside, Skyrim is a good game. But Bethsoft really fell on their face with the PC version.

64. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 23:20 Creston

Sepharo wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 20:45:
wonkawonka wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:36:
Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:27:
Btw, I HATE that they did loot the exact same way as in Oblivion. It's horseshit. Yes, the bandits aren't walking around in Daedric armor, but even so, it's fucking stupid that you can't find any decent loot when you're low level. Isn't that the whole POINT of exploring? That when I find a chest guarded by a puzzle and a Master lock, I get something decent when I open it? Rather than 14 fucking gold and a potion of fucking Stamina???

I'm with you on that. I did once manage to steal an elf bow, but I think it was a special case: it was in the display case of the earl or something like that. I can't think of any other RPG where I had to actually MAKE all my fucking armor and weapons because what I found isn't good enough to match it (and all at less than 20/100 smithing).

I stole that same bow

But yes, I'm pretty furious that the same boring scaling loot system is in place. I feel like my exploration is only rewarded by rare books which is far less exciting than finding rare/named weapons.

Yeah, I stole the same bow. It's in the Companion's Hall in Whiterun.

Just found an Ebony Bow. Same damage as my glass one, but it looks OH SO MUCH better.
It belonged to a Draugr Deathlord. I... persuaded him to part with it, through means of an archery contest.

Creston

63. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 23:18 Creston

Btw, if the bows in Skyrim baffle you as much as they did me, aim-wise, here's the explanation.

Apparently there's a script in place that checks what you were aiming at until about 100 yards out, and then makes the arrow hit that (ie, your arrow exactly hits where you were aiming.) Beyond that 100 yards, the normal parabolic arc takes over.

This probably explains why I've never been able to hit a fucking Dragon in flight.

Anyway, add this to the [Combat] setting in your skyrim.ini, to turn the entire crap off, and have the parabolic arc ALWAYS determine what you hit.

f1PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.0
f3PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.0

Credit to a guy on the modding forum who figured this out. Forgot his name. (Sorry, forgotten guy!)

Creston

62. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 22:36 PHJF

The only chests that will ever have significant loot in them are the boss chests found at the very end of dungeons and next to dragon / power word locations.

For consideration, vendors didn't start selling ebony gear until about lvl 30. The scheme roughly goes:

LVL 1-10 Steel/Leather
LVL 10-20 Dwarf/Elven
LVL 15-25 Orcish/Scaled
LVL 25-35 Ebony/Glass

I am LVL 45 and I've found a SINGLE daedric item from some chest in a dungeon, and I've never seen any in a shop. The rest I had to craft with daedra hearts purchased from alchemists.

The base item doesn't matter so much as your ability to upgrade it via smithing. Unupgraded weapons of any class are going to be really ineffective.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

61. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 21:22 Fion

I agree they should have reworked the looting system as it is identical to Oblivions and to some extent, Morrowinds. Perhaps someone will mod that. Besides the looting system, I really think is is the best TES yet.

My main game is about 30 hours in and I'm just now getting Elven gear and a bit of Dwarven at level 17. I've halted playing that game though because my perk selections are so spread around that while I probably should have 3-5 perk points each several trees, but I don't have one with more than two in about 7 different trees lol. So hopefully the mod tools hit soon and we get a respec potion soon after that!

My second game is melee focused 1h, shield, smithing, heavy armor, archery. Chars only lvl 7 but so far it's rather fun. The melee combat isn't as good as it could have been but it's still worlds better than Oblivions was.

60. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 20:45 Sepharo

wonkawonka wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:36:
Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:27:
Btw, I HATE that they did loot the exact same way as in Oblivion. It's horseshit. Yes, the bandits aren't walking around in Daedric armor, but even so, it's fucking stupid that you can't find any decent loot when you're low level. Isn't that the whole POINT of exploring? That when I find a chest guarded by a puzzle and a Master lock, I get something decent when I open it? Rather than 14 fucking gold and a potion of fucking Stamina???

I'm with you on that. I did once manage to steal an elf bow, but I think it was a special case: it was in the display case of the earl or something like that. I can't think of any other RPG where I had to actually MAKE all my fucking armor and weapons because what I found isn't good enough to match it (and all at less than 20/100 smithing).

I stole that same bow

But yes, I'm pretty furious that the same boring scaling loot system is in place. I feel like my exploration is only rewarded by rare books which is far less exciting than finding rare/named weapons.

59. Re: SINGLE PLAYER IS NOT DEAD. Nov 15, 2011, 20:27 jdreyer

Halo wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 16:56:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 15:08:
Put in the effort, provide outstanding value,spend more than the budget marketing, and sell millions of copies. Who knew?

Srsly? Link? I'd like to read a story about the numbers.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

58. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 19:39 CeeJay

Skyrimnexus may be down, but I've been working on my own custom version of it.

My version is here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9942986/FXAA%2BSharpen.7z

Compared to the one on the nexus I've scaled back the sharpen effect so it's more subtle and doesn't cause that harsh look full of artifacts that the one on the nexus did.
I've also disabled part of the sharpen shader that I did not use, so it may run very slightly faster.

It looks a lot better in my opinion.
Feel free to thinker with the values in sharpen.h to better suit your taste.

CoefFlou controls the strength of the sharpen.
SharpenEdge controls a cutoff value where the shader will use another value for sharpening edges. Raising the value detects more edges. I've set this fairly high
Sharpen_val0 controls the value to sharpen edges with. A value of 1 effectively disables this part of the shader so I've also commented out that section of the shader.
If you wish to re-enable it change:

return ori;
//*Sharpen_val0 - (c1 + c2 + c3 + c4 + c5 + c6 + c7 + c8 ) * Sharpen_val1;

into :

return ori*Sharpen_val0 - (c1 + c2 + c3 + c4 + c5 + c6 + c7 + c8 ) * Sharpen_val1;

There are other and possibly better screen space AA shaders out that, and many other screen space effects that could be added. Oblivion Graphics Extender v3 included many interesting filter that would suit Skyrim if ported over. Unfortunately between work and actually playing Skyrim I have little time to mod it.

There are many other things you can do to improve the graphics - some parallax occlusion mapping on the rocks, cliffs and ground would make the game look absolutely stunning .. even more so than now.

I'm the developer of SweetFX

57. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 18:33 Dacron

Huh, so it's that easy to make games? and earn millions doing so?

Where's all of YOUR successful games if its THAT easy? Oh, right. Keyboard warriors nitpicking because 'they know whats best'. One of the most successful games of all time, but you guys can/would do better, right?

56. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 17:33 Mashiki Amiketo

Verno wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 15:02:
Oh man, you went 40+ hours without knowing that one? Ouch dude Granted its not terribly well explained.
Well I'll be honest, he's not the only one. It's not obvious in the menu. And there's nothing in the tutorial to say that this is how you 'unlock' it, especially after your first two shouts are unlocked automatically.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

55. Re: SINGLE PLAYER IS NOT DEAD. Nov 15, 2011, 16:56 Halo

jdreyer wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 15:08:
Put in the effort, provide outstanding value,spend more than the budget marketing, and sell millions of copies. Who knew?

54. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 16:49 Quboid

A grid system would be so much better. I'm not sure why not, it's better for game pad users too. Perhaps the icons wouldn't be clear enough for users without hi-def. Do they still exist?  

- Quboid

53. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 16:33 LgFriess

Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 15:32:
Good News

(for those of you who don't get it, darN is making progress is deciphering the new UI setup.)

Creston

Great summary of the UI issues there. Maybe I'm too old school but it seems like an RPG like Skyrim is just crying out for a doll/grid inventory system.

Oh well, love the game and am looking forward to the UI mods.

52. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 16:20 Dirwulf

I don't know how anyone plays this game with a controller. I rented the Xbox version, it looks like crap, and plays like crap. I hated it.

So I bought the PC version, cause I got paid. Infinitely better. Now back to the game.

51. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 15:32 Creston

Good News

Creston

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2011, 15:48.

50. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 15:13 Creston

Verno wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 15:02:
Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 14:56:
Bucky wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 12:56:
I just figured out that you hit R to unlock shouts with stored up dragon souls. Every time I'd tried to select a new shout, it had just said I needed a dragon soul. I'd pushed along in the relevant quest lines, killed dragons and then immediately tried to select the shout.....and then 20 minutes ago I accidentally stumbled across how to do it. Bah!

DAMMIT BETHESDA.

/wants to go back home and unlock his Dragon shouts.

Creston

Oh man, you went 40+ hours without knowing that one? Ouch dude Granted its not terribly well explained.

To be fair, I've found exactly one shout beyond the ones given to you in the main quest, so it's not really an earth-shocking loss. Plus I always forget to use the shouts anyway. (My bow does 200+ damage on sneak attacks, so why bother?) Not really a big deal.

Btw, ran into a nice example of Radiant Storytelling yesterday. A woman runs up to me in the middle of nowhere, and cries how she just escaped from some bandits, and ran here and I'm the first one she's met, and waaaaah please kill the bandits. They're located in somethingorother.

I watch her walk away, fire an arrow in her back for disrupting what I was doing, then look around on my map to try to find this bandit place she was talking about. Can't find it anywhere. (The game said it put it on my map.)

Finally I figure she was stoned, so I walk over to her corpse, fire another arrow in it for good measure, and continue playing.

Nine hours later, I run into the camp literally on the OTHER SIDE OF THE FREAKING MAP. So she escaped and ran away, all the way to the other side of Skyrim, and I was the first person she encountered? REALLY, Bethesda? She didn't see anyone in Whiterun? You know, the city that she had to RUN THROUGH in order to get from where she was to where I met her???

An hour after I had cleared out the bandit camp, another woman ran up to me with the exact same sob story. She, too, had escaped from a bandit camp half a map away...

If you want me to go to these places, bethesda, put some decent fucking loot in it. Don't give me this one template's worth of sob story to try to get me to go somewhere.

MOTIVATE ME.

/stupid loot system.

Creston

49. SINGLE PLAYER IS NOT DEAD. Nov 15, 2011, 15:08 jdreyer

Put in the effort, provide outstanding value, and sell millions of copies. Who knew?  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo