Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BF3 Tactical Light to be Toned Down

DICE designer Alan Kertz tweets before and after images showing how they will be scaling back the brightness of the tactical light in Battlefield 3, which will no longer induce third-degree burns after it's fixed. Thanks Destructoid.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Hope thats not the only thing they fix Nov 15, 2011, 20:28 Sepharo

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 09:27:
Actually the explosive perk only gives you 4 javelins...
[...]
Also RPG only needs 2 to 3 hits from behind (also a good shot can instantly disable a tank which gives you advantage) ;p but you carry 8 rockets with perk.
[...]
And yeah you can shoot the javelin upwards after the lock but you still only carry 3 (or was it 4?) rockets

Wow didn't realize there was such a difference with that perk and javelin. I was pretty amazed that it gave 8 (9?) rockets for the RPG, seems excessive but I definitely use them all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: BF3 Tactical Light to be Toned Down Nov 15, 2011, 10:16 SXO

I for one never had problems with the tac light the way it is. I just aim towards the light and open fire, more often than not I kill the user. And when using the tac light it is very effective at close range. Now I wonder if the light will become nothing more than a bullseye for the user and become completely useless.  

30. Re: BF3 Tactical Light to be Toned Down Nov 15, 2011, 09:44 Verno

Guided and TV missiles are garbage, they miss so often it becomes a meta-game just to see if you can land a hit successfully rather than cause any actual damage. Its not uncommon for them to bounce off things either. In pretty much every situation you see armor you're better off having someone sneak up and C4 it or use an RPG. C4 is alarmingly effective in general which adds to Supports already considerable repertoire. The more brazen your C4 running is, the better. I love nothing more than running out in front of the enemy team on Seine, tossing a couple of C4 onto the back of the tank then detonating. Even if they tag you while you're planting that C4 sticks around so as soon as the tank gets tagged it'll go up.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

29. Re: Hope thats not the only thing they fix Nov 15, 2011, 09:27 eRe4s3r

Actually the explosive perk only gives you 4 javelins...

And hey, I know how to aim with the rockets ^^, the problem is the direct fire... RPG is better because you can shoot quicker and so outgun any repair or dodge attempts also with practice you can hit from afar without standing there for 10 seconds. With the Javelin you need constant direct line of sight or the laser lock thingy, only a noob tank will let go of that easy kill while you stand there targeting

Also RPG only needs 2 to 3 hits from behind (also a good shot can instantly disable a tank which gives you advantage) ;p but you carry 8 rockets with perk.

And yeah you can shoot the javelin upwards after the lock but you still only carry 3 (or was it 4?) rockets and it actually tends to fly close to the ground again when its close to the target (meaning a slight bump in the road is all it takes...) It needs a weapon mode switch

And seeing the last post that replied to me, yeah laser target does do that, but it tends to miss 9 out of 10 times... hopefully they fix that

28. Re: BF3 Tactical Light to be Toned Down Nov 15, 2011, 08:58 VultureMAN

Blackhawk wrote on Nov 14, 2011, 22:57:
Anybody who has ever carried a high end tactical light can tell you that the effect was realistic. You can blind someone with those suckers from across a parking lot in broad daylight. ....

oh really? must have missed that one, inside the Shoot House yeah, in the parking lot, I don't think so.

Care to name the model, 'cause I don't see any under barrel and <5K lumen tac lights doing that.

27. Re: BF3 Tactical Light to be Toned Down Nov 15, 2011, 08:32 Verno

The light is pretty ineffective at blinding, its just a nuisance more than anything else. It also makes zero sense in the map context often times. The red dot sight from teammates who are facing away from something is way more annoying IMO.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

26. Re: BF3 Tactical Light to be Toned Down Nov 15, 2011, 08:14 JayDeath

The light is kinda annoying but my counter is to just aim for the middle of the light. I can usually get the kill.  
Steam: Henry Krinkle

I want a new Brothers in Arms game!

25. Re: BF3 Tactical Light to be Toned Down Nov 15, 2011, 08:05 Steelcamp

I've been meaning to make a macro for the thumb button on my mouse that I bound my tac light/laser to for a strobe effect with 7-8 flashes per second

Now that would be fricken awesome.

-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

24. Re: BF3 Tactical Light to be Toned Down Nov 15, 2011, 07:02 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, it's good that they realize the tactical light is annoying as shit, but hopefully they take into account the hassle of an unkillable teammate blinding you with it, whether purposely or not.

Teammates blinding me, or at least covering up a significant portion of the landscape with a giant glowing circle, even while I am in a TANK, is a lot more on my mind than some enemy turning on his light. So far, I don't think I've failed to kill an enemy trying to use the tactical light the way it was meant to be used.

23. Re: BF3 Tactical Light to be Toned Down Nov 15, 2011, 06:32 mickelobe

I've been meaning to make a macro for the thumb button on my mouse that I bound my tac light/laser to for a strobe effect with 7-8 flashes per second

22. Re: Hope thats not the only thing they fix Nov 15, 2011, 04:30 RocketChef

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 00:00:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 14, 2011, 22:42:
...BF3 doesn't let us use it to hit tanks on top.
Partly wrong! BF3 lets us do the more damaging top attack mode, but not without teamplay. You have to laser designate a tank with a recon SOFLAM (or other unlocked laser designation gear) and then lock on with a JAVELIN to do the top attack.
Now why I said "partly". Tried it myself and worked once and very well (tank was disabled right away) and then never again... you guessed it: it's also a bit bugged. Seems like the JAVELIN (and other laser guided missiles) hits behind the target in 90% of all cases (I think Kertz confirmed that), but after firing on a laser designated taget the rocket goes straigt up.

21. Re: Hope thats not the only thing they fix Nov 15, 2011, 02:37 entr0py

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 00:00:
Also they really need to fix the Javelin you can only carry 3 missiles but you need 3 to actually destroy a tank.. which makes that a worthless weapon. Not to mention it seems to collide with stuff far to often thats not its target.. somehow i always thought Javelins were portable straight up - straight down style missiles

A Javelin can be toggled to either go up and come down on top of the target or fire straight-on. The problem is games never give the choice of which one to use; Modern Warfare 2 had us waiting for the rocket to sail up above helicopters (helicopters are what direct-fire mode is for in the first place) and BF3 doesn't let us use it to hit tanks on top.

One trick that helps a lot, after you lock on with the Javelin, there's a brief period where you can actually aim it somewhere else and it will still seek the target once you fire. So if you get a lock then aim up at the sky it will give it a higher arc and avoid a lot of obstacles.

Also there's the explosives specialization that will give you more ammo. And if you're really coordinated, you can have a teammate setup soflam for instant lockon. Plus it's fantastic at murdering repairing engineers.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2011, 02:43.

20. Re: Hope thats not the only thing they fix Nov 15, 2011, 02:17 Cornholio

I would rather they tone down the IRNV, with a limited FOV or something, than the flashlight...

The flashlight doesn't bother me that much but how easy the IRNV makes it does.

19. Re: Hope thats not the only thing they fix Nov 15, 2011, 01:23 elefunk

I'm glad they're changing it for the sake of gameplay balance, but those complaining it's not realistic simply haven't encountered a real tactical light.

It doesn't matter if it's a bright sunny day or pitch black outside. A high-quality tactical light will fucking blind you from 20+ feet away if you stare straight into it.

18. Re: Hope thats not the only thing they fix Nov 15, 2011, 00:00 Dr. D. Schreber

Also they really need to fix the Javelin you can only carry 3 missiles but you need 3 to actually destroy a tank.. which makes that a worthless weapon. Not to mention it seems to collide with stuff far to often thats not its target.. somehow i always thought Javelins were portable straight up - straight down style missiles

A Javelin can be toggled to either go up and come down on top of the target or fire straight-on. The problem is games never give the choice of which one to use; Modern Warfare 2 had us waiting for the rocket to sail up above helicopters (helicopters are what direct-fire mode is for in the first place) and BF3 doesn't let us use it to hit tanks on top.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

17. Re: BF3 Tactical Light to be Toned Down Nov 14, 2011, 23:57 Krovven

necrosis wrote on Nov 14, 2011, 22:40:
Because there is no way in hell a flashlight should screw your vision up that much any further than 2 feet away.

The irony is, the light that it gives off when you use it is really pathetic and in no way in relation to the new effect let alone the current one.

I'm glad they are fixing it. It needs to be changed even more or removed entirely. But it does make the users of them very easy targets.

16. Re: Hope thats not the only thing they fix Nov 14, 2011, 23:26 ^Drag0n^

Sepharo wrote on Nov 14, 2011, 22:45:

Select the explosives perk and/or hit the tank in the ass.

How dare you insist on skill, sir!

;-)

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

15. Re: BF3 Tactical Light to be Toned Down Nov 14, 2011, 23:20 xXBatmanXx

Well, considering that is what my tac light looks like when you look at it night or day on my Glock 21.....I guess I don't see a problem. That is just good equipment....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

14. Re: BF3 Tactical Light to be Toned Down Nov 14, 2011, 22:57 Blackhawk

Anybody who has ever carried a high end tactical light can tell you that the effect was realistic. You can blind someone with those suckers from across a parking lot in broad daylight. We used to go up on the roof and shine the things on billboards more than a mile away.

On the other hand, it was an awful gameplay mechanic.

Realistic and fun don't always coincide.

13. Re: Hope thats not the only thing they fix Nov 14, 2011, 22:45 Sepharo

Select the explosives perk and/or hit the tank in the ass.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo