Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of the ten bestselling games on Steam for the past week:

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  3. Saints Row: The Third
  4. L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition
  5. RAGE
  6. Football Manager 2012
  7. Dungeon Defenders
  8. Sonic Generations
  9. The Lord of the Rings: War in the North
  10. Batman: Arkham City

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 15, 2011, 01:56 PHJF

Oops I meant expert difficulty.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 15, 2011, 01:10 PHJF

Adept difficulty. Melee at my strength is a joke but strong enemy mages absolutely fucking disintegrate me, it's incredibly annoying. I'm killed by two casts from powerful mages. That's why I use Frost shout all the time; little shits can't cast spells when they're frozen solid now can they? Granted this is with NO enchanted equipment and no elemental/magic resist (playing Redguard, Adrenaline makes the early dragon battles a lot easier).

I didn't realize you could smelt artifacts down for their metal like that.

Certain dwemer artifacts (almost anything ending in Metal or Strut) can be smelted directly into Dwarven Ingots. This is the only way to acquire said ingots outside of buying them from a smith.

Oddly enough I've found Heavy Armor leveling far slower then it should be... my One Handed skill is almost 90 while Heavy Armor is only about 60, and I've been using heavy armor and fighting melee the entire time. Of course the same could be said of restoration; I've been using Fast Heal for a long while and yet restoration is only lvl 40. Oblivion had the same problem where certain skills level painfully slow. On the other hand, I can level pickpocket by stealing a single high-priced item, and I'm talking when my level is ALREADY 70+.

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 14, 2011, 23:02 eRe4s3r

If you are the sneak type (so light armor) its important you invest money into training 1h and armor up, because you won't be getting theses levels the same way as a strong CQB character would.

Also i have seen some hilarious shit in this game.

one of my quest goals, some dude in some small town right.. so i walk to him to "return" to him and finish the quests, when a dragon swoops down from nowhere and LITERALLY lands on him, packs him with his mouth and throws him yonders, hes instantly dead. Then said dragon continues to "hop" from roof to roof flaming down until i finally got it by arrows (like 40 dozens..). Result, 3 failed minor quests (quest givers dead) .. damn Blood Dragons

Other thing, Brotherhood quests, i was supposed to kill some mage in the tundra and suddenly dragon attacks, so i sort of lure the dragon there and the dragon fries my goal (and me ,p). Kill and reward ftw ;p

At first i didn't believe Dragons are "fully" dynamic.. but holy crap, they are... theres some exceptions to that, where dragons "nest" and you better realize that quickly because from afar they look like statues, only if you walk up do they come to life, which'll give you the scare of a lifetime ;p

But also some seriously strange bugs..
- As mage i accidently fried my "House Guard" and later on when testing the marriage thingy said dead house guard was.. a guest, dead. But not just that, it counted as a "murder" right there. So everyone who attended refused to talk to me after that.. if you did this "quest" you probably realize that this includes some very important people... reload time.

Basically, i love Skyrim Its such an epic experience.. clocking in about 27 hours now (level 31) and maybe seen 25% ...not taken any civil war quests at all, not even choose a side yet.

So far only thing i don't like is the magic system.. no quick selection etc...

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 14, 2011, 22:31 Crustacean Soup

PHJF wrote on Nov 14, 2011, 14:37:
You can always smith. I'm lvl 37 wearing full dragon plate with dual daedric swords (all of which I've honed heavily courtesy +%smithing improvement gear and potions). One-handed sword is listed at 92dmg, and I'm not wearing any equipment with +% one-handed dmg. Dual wielding is so god damn overpowered. I stumbled upon a named dragon as it was being risen and killed it before his intro animation was through. Virtually any dragon is dead about 3 seconds after it lands, from Bloods to Elders. Also have 50,000 gold, and Lydia is as similarly decked out as I.

Actually I had to skip right over Daedric armor because daedra hearts are rare as fuck while I've got scores of dragon parts from the ~two dozen dragons I've killed.

Crazy. What difficulty level?

I didn't realize you could smelt artifacts down for their metal like that.

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 14, 2011, 21:01 dj LiTh

First off....Skyrim is awesome....i loved morrowind...hated oblivion.....its between the two and approaching morrowind (i said approaching calm down).....second this is 100% the gamebryo engine, simple things like being able to climb up unclimbable terrain by hitting spacebar a million times (was a QA game tester at one point in my life), thats something that wouldnt translate if the engine had been written from the ground up. Its modified for sure, but its gamebryo, to call it creation engine is like putting a mustang body over a ford focus v6 engine and calling it a mustang  

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 14, 2011, 18:26 PHJF

It's completely pointless to put points into pickpocketing except maybe a few at the base lvl. "25% increase to pick pocket of sleeping victim"? Fucking worthless. Pick pocketing, like pock picking, is so easy it's a waste of skill points.

Same with Sneak. I picked up The Steed sign (100 extra carrying capacity and no movement penalty is received by heavy armor [which if it works the same as the perk means Sneak gets no penalty at all from armor]), and enchanted my boots (and Lydia's) with Muffled. I can sneak up to an enemy looking right at me and sneak attack.

Plus smithing is great because it has no skill sinks; every perk is only one point. Also I just finished doing the dwarven dungeon beneath Markarth and after smelting down all the artifacts within I now have enough dwarven ingots to make roughly 65 dwarven armors. Too bad merchants never have shit for gold. Smithing is just a no brainer; it levels up extremely quickly and means gear is never a problem, plus it's the only way to improve your gear's base stats. The only downside is ore veins besides iron are extremely rare, but this is remedied by vendors always selling healthy stacks of ingots.

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 14, 2011, 17:27 Creston

You can always smith. I'm lvl 37 wearing full dragon plate with dual daedric swords (all of which I've honed heavily courtesy +%smithing improvement gear and potions). One-handed sword is listed at 92dmg, and I'm not wearing any equipment with +% one-handed dmg. Dual wielding is so god damn overpowered. I stumbled upon a named dragon as it was being risen and killed it before his intro animation was through. Virtually any dragon is dead about 3 seconds after it lands, from Bloods to Elders. Also have 50,000 gold, and Lydia is as similarly decked out as I.

Actually I had to skip right over Daedric armor because daedra hearts are rare as fuck while I've got scores of dragon parts from the ~two dozen dragons I've killed.

Haven't put many points in smithing yet, except I just got the "can improve magical gear" perk. Everything's in Sneak, Pick Pocket and Archery. I am "The God of Unseen Death, and then I steal your mum's teeth right out of her mouth!"

Creston

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 14, 2011, 15:24 xXBatmanXx

You sir....need a hobby outside of gaming. hehehehe

(jealous I can't play much as of late.....)

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 14, 2011, 15:22 Creston

My Lydia guards my house, as she should. :p

Creston

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 14, 2011, 15:13 Kythlyn

My Lydia died in some random dungeon.  

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 14, 2011, 14:37 PHJF

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 14, 2011, 14:30 xXBatmanXx

Dirwulf wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 22:11:
I just can't get into Skyrim. Its Oblivion all over again. Same shit, different game.

Someone should take away your gamer card....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 14, 2011, 13:43 Creston

Crustacean Soup wrote on Nov 14, 2011, 06:31:
Dev wrote on Nov 14, 2011, 06:11:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 14, 2011, 02:28:
I must be playing a different game. Not only are the mechanics different, but so is the leveling system.

Eh? The leveling system is the same. You level skills by using them, rather than gaining skill points to spend on them. You can now gain levels by using any skill, rather than just Major ones, but that's a pretty minor difference.
Is he perhaps talking about the leveling for the monsters/bandits, etc? I don't have the game, so I don't know, do they auto level like in oblivion, so as you level you end up with random bandits on the road with glass armor?
It looks like it's weaker than Oblivion's system, but it's still there.

Not everything is always at your level. I hit Trolls and Bears (and more powerful variants) when I was still far too weak to stand a chance against them. Likewise, I've hit several caves full of bandits that I still can't take.

On the other hand, it looks like the bottom-end is moving up (at least, on average). I seem to be getting more powerful undead more frequently in some caves now that I'm at a higher level (though the low-level guys are there too, and just as easy to kill). Same thing with bandits; the hard varieties seem to be more frequent, but many of the lackeys are still low-level, easy-to-kill varieties. The dragons that have been swooping down on my head have become more powerful "Blood Dragons", with weird fan-like tails; I really don't mind that though, since I think it's very appropriate that dragons should remain terrifying and hard to kill even as you level up. I haven't noticed much of a change in the wilderness; maybe I'm seeing a few more high-level animals, or maybe it's just because I'm exploring different areas - either way, my survivability has still increased.

I'm only in the 20s, so I can't say if the gear gets ridiculous. I'm still mostly seeing hide and cheap armor on bandits though, even though I'm wearing Steel and Dwarven stuff at this point.

So far so good, as far as I'm concerned.

The monster leveling system is fine. Sadly, the loot leveling system is still the same shit it was in Oblivion. Everything levels with you, even deliberately placed loot. So don't expect to see any glass until you've hit level 30.

Creston

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 14, 2011, 11:52 Kythlyn

Old engine glitches are everywhere. My favorite is corpses falling out of the sky.  

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 14, 2011, 09:13 Verno

Game owns and I was glad to see it beat the pants off MW3 this weekend. At one point nearly everyone on my friends list was playing it on Friday, I haven't seen that happen since TF2.

I went with a bow/sneak type character but I'm having trouble in CQB, the daggers suck for anything but sneak attacks. I really like the perk system and how they divvied up attributes this time, it allows for customization without getting too punishing for "wrong" choices.

Exploring is just fantastic, there is shit everywhere. I already ran into something like 4 dragons just exploring west of Whiterun. I found countless caves and ruins too, there is just a ton of content in the game and some of it is downright creepy. NPC interactions are a lot more satisfying this time around and the animations aren't oblivion jank.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 14, 2011, 06:37 Sho

No, the art is just about the one thing that isn't similar, at least I haven't seen any overtly reused assets yet. I'm referring to the overall feel and behavior of the world simulation, NPCs, gameplay aspect, and so on. It's all very familiar.

Don't get me wrong, they've definitely improved and updated a lot. Scripting appears to be much more flexible and reliable for one, allowing them to stage less modal dialogue scenes. The renderer is also obviously largely redone. There's probably nothing in there that hasn't been touched in some way.

But still I doubt they actually started with empty files and wrote it all from scratch. I'm betting it's derived from the Oblivion/Fallout 3 engine, with many subsystems iterated on significantly and some replaced wholesale.

Which, again, is the sensible way to do it, so I'm not complaining at all. Throwing away years and years of real-world fixes to start fresh is a common programmer impulse but usually ends up costing much more than it gains, not to mention having something working from the get-go means you can ramp up your art pipeline early on, and do proper testing every step of the way, etc.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 14, 2011, 06:31 Crustacean Soup

Dev wrote on Nov 14, 2011, 06:11:
I must be playing a different game. Not only are the mechanics different, but so is the leveling system.

Eh? The leveling system is the same. You level skills by using them, rather than gaining skill points to spend on them. You can now gain levels by using any skill, rather than just Major ones, but that's a pretty minor difference.
Is he perhaps talking about the leveling for the monsters/bandits, etc? I don't have the game, so I don't know, do they auto level like in oblivion, so as you level you end up with random bandits on the road with glass armor?
It looks like it's weaker than Oblivion's system, but it's still there.

Not everything is always at your level. I hit Trolls and Bears (and more powerful variants) when I was still far too weak to stand a chance against them. Likewise, I've hit several caves full of bandits that I still can't take.

On the other hand, it looks like the bottom-end is moving up (at least, on average). I seem to be getting more powerful undead more frequently in some caves now that I'm at a higher level (though the low-level guys are there too, and just as easy to kill). Same thing with bandits; the hard varieties seem to be more frequent, but many of the lackeys are still low-level, easy-to-kill varieties. The dragons that have been swooping down on my head have become more powerful "Blood Dragons", with weird fan-like tails; I really don't mind that though, since I think it's very appropriate that dragons should remain terrifying and hard to kill even as you level up. I haven't noticed much of a change in the wilderness; maybe I'm seeing a few more high-level animals, or maybe it's just because I'm exploring different areas - either way, my survivability has still increased.

I'm only in the 20s, so I can't say if the gear gets ridiculous. I'm still mostly seeing hide and cheap armor on bandits though, even though I'm wearing Steel and Dwarven stuff at this point.

So far so good, as far as I'm concerned.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2011, 06:37.

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 14, 2011, 06:25 MrFixIt

They claim to have rewritten all of the "major graphics and gameplay systems including lighting, shadows, level of detail, animation, interface, scripting, dialogue, quest systems, melee, magic, and more". The Creation Engine is a new engine. I think you may be confused by the fact that the art is similar.  

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 14, 2011, 06:11 Dev

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 14, 2011, 05:15 Sho

Yeah, it's definitely not a new engine but only a relatively minor upgrade of what they've been using since Morrowind. But that makes good sense; starting from scratch you throw out too many solutions to already-solved problems. It's better to iterate and replace sub-systems one by one, and the improvements they made here are good stuff.  

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo