Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim

A few links for those enjoying The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Bethesda's RPG sequel being played by over a quarter-million concurrent players on Steam. We have Skyrim Intro & Gameplay Running on Multiple Monitors, some Performance Benchmarks to see if your rig is up to the game (thanks Acleacius), and, just for fun: Watch A Horse Ride A Dragon In Skyrim (thanks Ant).

View
68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

28. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 12, 2011, 23:33 eunichron

Bhruic wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 23:09:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 20:33:
have killed two dragons in total, wandered around a bit, and have played nearly 16hrs so far. And I'm only level 5...ah yeah.

Really? You can kill dragons at level 5? That's a bit disappointing.

It depends. There are standard, unnamed, dragons that are pretty easy to kill. Some of the named ones are quite a bit more difficult. What I don't like about them is they rely almost entirely on their breaths, once they land they stop attacking entirely and give you some free hits before taking off again. Would be nice to see them engage in ground/melee combat to make them even more of a challenge.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 12, 2011, 23:32 JohnBirshire

I don't know why they keep saying "If your rig is up to the game". If it can run on the XBox 360, it should run on your computer if you've upgraded it in the last 10 years.  

26. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 12, 2011, 23:09 Bhruic

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 20:33:
have killed two dragons in total, wandered around a bit, and have played nearly 16hrs so far. And I'm only level 5...ah yeah.

Really? You can kill dragons at level 5? That's a bit disappointing.

25. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 12, 2011, 23:02 StingingVelvet

Yaogun wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 22:50:
14 hours in and I just finished the Mage college quest line.

15 hours in and I haven't even found them yet!

24. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 12, 2011, 22:50 Yaogun

14 hours in and I just finished the Mage college quest line. Awesome set pieces and enough beef to be the main story in any other game.

Were the "cloak" spells in Oblivion? I love them. Throw up a cloak spell, summon a bound sword, summon a beastie to fight with me, wade in and watch the enemy health go down, down, down. At least some of the time. I like that I have to be careful. I hope that lasts and I don't end up outleveling the game.

23. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 12, 2011, 22:34 Creston

Absolutely LOVING Skyrim, although that was kinda to be expected, since Oblivion is one of my favorite games of all time.

Managed to find the Thieves Guild and am now having a blast just robbing people blind. And unlike Oblivion, here you can actually become filthy rich from being a thief, since most people will carry 400-500 gold worth of jewelry that you can pickpocket.

The thieves guild quests are okay so far. They're at least varied (the scripted ones, anyway. The minor ones are typically just "go here, sneak inside, hit E on something." although nothing's really stood out at me yet. I thought the Thieves' Guild quests in Oblivion were amazing, especially the last one where you had to infiltrate the mage guild and steal their most hallowed artifact.

Hopefully they'll improve.

Made my way over to another area of the world map, and it's also far less grey and drab. Beautiful, beautiful game. I really do wish not every single animal in the game attacked you, though. I think I have single-handedly murdered 90% of the world's bear population.

I've seen a few Dragons so far, but after trying to fight one (and failing rather miserably, as the thing must have been at least 20 levels more powerful than I was. My 41 damage bow-every bonus included- was barely moving its health bar...) I now just sneak away whenever one shows up.

One thing that really disappoints me is how the world just doesn't react to Dragons. This massive one was flying like right around Whiterun, and all the peasants outside were just farming their fields like nothing was wrong. And the Dragon never attacked them either.

Then another one attacked me right near a fort with bandits, and the bandits all just stood there like "Oh, a Dragon. Dum de dum, let's keep just standing here." Kinda sucks. It's the same thing as with the Oblivion gates, where nobody seemed to give a shit that these gates were opening everywhere and dumping Demons on their world.

level 26 and counting!

Creston

22. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 12, 2011, 22:29 Wikidd

Ozmodan wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 19:02:
When you accompany a great game with a horrendously poor UI you end up with a very mediocre game.

After horsing with the UI for 2 days, I put the game in it's CD case and gave it to a friend, hope he has better luck with it. I play games to have fun, not becoming angry because some developer can't figure out how to design a UI.
Except you can't give Skyrim away after you've installed it because it uses Steam. Also, the UI isn't horrendous - it's actually one of the fastest & most usable out of the box compared to Morrowind and Oblivion, as long as you use WASD. I'm sure someone will mod it better though.

So yea, weak troll is weak. 0/10, would not respond again.

21. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 12, 2011, 22:08 tuddies

There are some dumb things about the UI and some nice stuff.

For instance, why doesn't the UI close when nothing is selected and you hit E? It also does not make use of 1920x1200 or higher screen res. And the RightHand/LeftHand selection is whacked. Also, why not highlight the items that you favorite in GREEN or another color? If you have them selected for either hand, you can't tell that they are favorites.

Also, the font size for books is at least twice as large as it needs to be, but all of these things will hopefully get fixed once the construction kit is released.

I remember BTMod totally fixed the console UI in Oblivion. What a relief that single mod was!

20. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 12, 2011, 22:05 A51Abductee

Mangrove wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 21:47:
Mod out that helps a bit with the UI. Basically lets you use your remapped forward back etc to navigate the worldmap and menus, instead of WASD.

Interface Hard Coded Key Tweaks

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=88

Thanks, Mangrove, trying this mod immediately.

19. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 12, 2011, 22:03 deadearth

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 21:58:
I like the UI. Don't use a mouse, use WASD. Ends up being very fast and very convenient. I would take it over Morrowind's PC focused UI in a heartbeat.

Yeah, i like the UI as well, especially compared to oblivion's unmodded interface. It seems a little glitchy now and then with the mouse (i click on something and it select something i didn't click on). I'm sure that will be fixed, but like you said with the WASD keys its fairly nice. (this is after about ~13 hours of playtime.)

18. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 12, 2011, 21:58 StingingVelvet

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 21:30:
It's q fucking shame what they did though. This UI is a horror for PC gamers and they MUST've known this...

I like the UI. Don't use a mouse, use WASD. Ends up being very fast and very convenient. I would take it over Morrowind's PC focused UI in a heartbeat.

17. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 12, 2011, 21:47 Mangrove

Mod out that helps a bit with the UI. Basically lets you use your remapped forward back etc to navigate the worldmap and menus, instead of WASD.

Interface Hard Coded Key Tweaks

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=88

16. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 12, 2011, 21:38 Pumas

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 21:30:
When you accompany a great game with a horrendously poor UI you end up with a very mediocre game.

After horsing with the UI for 2 days, I put the game in it's CD case and gave it to a friend, hope he has better luck with it. I play games to have fun, not becoming angry because some developer can't figure out how to design a UI.

I don't like the UI either. But you're either making this up or you're just a very bad gamer. The UI is bad but not as bad as to give the game away.

It's q fucking shame what they did though. This UI is a horror for PC gamers and they MUST've known this...

I keep hitting escape to get out of menus only to have the main menu pop up. It has taken quite some time to get used to hitting tab to exit a menu. The UI is really clunky...when PC gamers talk about consolitis, it's crappy UI and atrocious default graphics settings that have to be changed through ini files and console commands that are the cause.

Trying to make a game like this for both consoles and PC doesn't work so well unless the UI and control system is designed by 2 different teams. If you use the same UI for both, either it's too complicated to use a controller or it's too dumbed down for the keyboard/mouse.

How will I know limits from lies if I never try?

15. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 12, 2011, 21:30 Eldaron Imotholin

I don't like the UI either. But you're either making this up or you're just a very bad gamer. The UI is bad but not as bad as to give the game away.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

14. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 12, 2011, 21:12 Bucky

Pumas wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 19:33:
Bought a horse
Surprised by a troll while riding horse
Dismounted and attacked troll
Troll ignored me and attacked horse
Killed horse
WTF? Trolled by troll?

Bought a horse
Surprised by a dragon while riding horse at night
Dismounted and watched dragon kill wolves
Horse decided to attack dragon
Horse died
I killed dragon
That dragon was not worth 1000 gold pieces.

I appear to have very bad luck regarding dragons.

13. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 12, 2011, 20:58 Pumas

nin wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 20:10:
Ha!

Really waiting for some sort of horse armor DLC so any future horses I purchase can survive such attacks......

12. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 12, 2011, 20:33 Mashiki Amiketo

I've visited one major city so far, where you first get drawn in to kill your first dragon, have killed two dragons in total, wandered around a bit, and have played nearly 16hrs so far. And I'm only level 5...ah yeah. This is pretty damn good.

274,410 people playing skyrim today. Damn.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

11. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 12, 2011, 20:31 jimnms

I can't watch any of the videos because hotel internet sucks, but all of the videos I've seen before of the horse is always in 3rd person. Does it force you into 3rd person when on a horse?  

MeanJim on Steam

10. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 12, 2011, 20:10 nin

Pumas wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 19:33:
Bought a horse
Killed horse
WTF? Trolled by troll?

Ha!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 12, 2011, 19:33 Pumas

Bought a horse
Killed horse
WTF? Trolled by troll?

68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo