Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim

A few links for those enjoying The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Bethesda's RPG sequel being played by over a quarter-million concurrent players on Steam. We have Skyrim Intro & Gameplay Running on Multiple Monitors, some Performance Benchmarks to see if your rig is up to the game (thanks Acleacius), and, just for fun: Watch A Horse Ride A Dragon In Skyrim (thanks Ant).

View
68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

68. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 22:06 nin

Cutter wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 16:28:
The drinking contest quest is fun. Wait till you meet the demon dog though, he owns everything, including vampires heh.

I swear, the more you guys talk about this game, the more I'm dying to try it. Hopefully I can grab it over xmas.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

67. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 21:57 Nurgel

Thanks for the tip Creston - time for some shopliftin!  

66. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 17:03 Mashiki Amiketo

Kastagir wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 14:57:
I was being plagued with TDR issues with my 2+ year old GTX 295 until I upgraded to a GTX 580. I haven't had any issues, even after upgrading to the newest non-beta 285.xx drivers. .
Well the card is running stock, and all of the 280.xx and higher drivers TDR on me, but the 275's are just fine, so I just keep with that. Until I gave my 460 to my sister for her gaming rig it was the same deal, the 280's would cause TDR's and the 275's would be fine. The rigs were identical(965's on M4A87TD/USB3's), I built them side by side, same hardware, serial numbers were in sequence including the ram. The PSU's not so lucky but same maker, and all that. Both were 600 watt enermax's.

The reality that this is such a large problem on not only the nvidia forums, but all of the other card maker forums leads me to believe this to be either a driver problem or a serious GPU problem. The first one is more believable because it came into being in the 280.xx series, the second is plausible because of how widespread it is across all makes, models(400's and 500's), and all manufactures.

edit: 287411 on skyrim today sofar, and we haven't even hit this evening, wonder if we'll hit 300k.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2011, 17:18.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

65. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 16:28 Cutter

The drinking contest quest is fun. Wait till you meet the demon dog though, he owns everything, including vampires heh.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

64. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 16:23 Creston

So I just did a drinking contest with a guy named Sam in Whiterun, and when I woke up I was all the way on the west side of the continent, in a town I'd never been before, probably missing my kidneys. LOL.

Oh, and I ran into an ancient vampire just outside of Whiterun. I was level 27 when it happened. For anyone who's worried that vampires are still pussies, don't be. I got my ass handed to me so fucking quick I didn't even get a chance to shoot an arrow.

I guess I shouldn't have murdered those Stalwarts of Stendarr who, in hindsight, were obviously there to fight the vampire.

Creston

63. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 15:17 Tim Collins

I must say the people of Skyrim are very forgiving people, I'v accidentally wacked a few people and they don't instantly retaliate....now the giants.....thats a different story.  

62. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 14:57 Kastagir

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 13:41:
Creston wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 10:57:
I'd call that a fairly nice machine on account of the graphics card.

Creston
Well thanks man. Though with the TDR problem I'm getting close to tossing the card up to sell and maybe picking a ATI card. To be honest I lucked out on the card, and picked it up for $169 a few months ago. On sale, with two rebates. It was retailing for $239 at the time.

And it hasn't given me much grief outside of that.

I was being plagued with TDR issues with my 2+ year old GTX 295 until I upgraded to a GTX 580. I haven't had any issues, even after upgrading to the newest non-beta 285.xx drivers. I know my GTX 295 is dying, and prone to TDRs. Buying a card from a different manufacturer is not guaranteed to solve the problem, since TDRs are not unique to nvidia hardware. The ATI driver can crash just as easily on defective hardware. I'd suggest trying your card without any overclocking first, and then, if you're still encountering problems, consider that the card itself may be defective. All of my TDRs encountered on the GTX 295 were in games; some old and some new. I've never encountered a TDR in Firefox or any of the other situations that people have attributed to the new drivers, but I also never overclock my GPU. I'm inclined to attribute these problems to hardware problems caused by defective or dying cards or overly aggressive overclocking (or both).

Edit: For those that may be curious, I run Skyrim on a single GTX 580 at 2560x1600 resolution and VRAM usage never exceeds ~930MB. That is on Ultra settings with everything maxed out. For my purposes, one card is enough, and 1.5GB of VRAM is plenty. Of course, when someone gets around to releasing some high-resolution textures for the PC, this may be tested. And sure, the UI is a pain sometimes, but if they just fixed the static button help so that you can actually remap keys and have some idea how to do stuff, I'd be happy. As it is, I'm stuck using the default key mapping, and it's a pain when I unintentionally do stuff like unleash a shout at the Jarl because I'm used to a different key mapping.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2011, 15:06.

61. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 14:54 Creston

Nurgel wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 11:59:

If I may ask Creston: in what direction would a prospective thief look in order to hook up with the thieves guild?

Nurgel,

See the secret text below.

The Thieves Guild is in Riften. It's all the way on the SE part of the map. Easiest way to get there is to take a coach there, as walking there will get you ganked by a ton of bears and trolls. If you don't have the option to travel to Riften with the coach, go into the Jarl of Whiterun's castle, and go upstairs. He has a map of Skyrim there, and if you click on all the little flags on the map, the corresponding cities will be shown on your map.

Once in Riften, walk to the small marketplace in the center of town, and a member of the Thieves Guild will talk to you. Take it from there.

Be warned, you do need at least rudimentary thief skills to get through the first mission.

Creston

60. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 14:44 ^Drag0n^

For those that are having problems getting into the game at all (i.e. the game crashes with the message "Skyrim has stopped working," after hitting "play" in the launcher:

It looks like the PC version of Skyrim is not something that PCTools Threatfire likes. Threatfire causes the game to crash at the launcher when you hit "play" with no message, other than "Skyrim has stopped working.".

How did I figure this out? I had a similar problem With CoD: World at War a while back which made me think Threatfire might be the issue.

The easiest way to fix the issue is to just uninstall Threatfire completely. (Note: You can force-quit Threatfire from the process monitor, but you also have to force-quit ALL other ThreatFire/PC Tools modules to make that work. It's not trivial or an easy thing to do for people with limited PC skills.)

EDIT: Here's a "simpler" way to stop ThreatFire without uninstalling it:

(1) Ctr+right click Threatfire in the systray and select "exit."
(2) In an administrator-level CMD windo, type" net stop threatfire"

Note: "Suspending" ThreatFire alone from the systray will NOT fix the problem.

^D^

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2011, 14:50.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

59. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 13:41 Mashiki Amiketo

Creston wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 10:57:

Creston
Well thanks man. Though with the TDR problem I'm getting close to tossing the card up to sell and maybe picking a ATI card. To be honest I lucked out on the card, and picked it up for $169 a few months ago. On sale, with two rebates. It was retailing for $239 at the time.

And it hasn't given me much grief outside of that.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

58. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 12:23 wtf_man

I always run with V-sync on.

Unless you are in a competition multi-player shooter where you want hundreds of FPS, turning it off is unnecessary, and often causes tearing in most games.

/shrug

And Tim... yes, it's SLI causing your issues. You have more than enough horsepower, unless you are running multi-monitor or extremely high resolutions.

57. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 12:06 Bucky

I'm on a 5850, and the one thing I am getting is massive framerate drops on occasion. I'll be running around and suddenly I'll go from a solid 60fps to 4, then after 10-60 seconds it recovers. I've yet to be able to figure out why, but it's annoying. Other than that the game is rock solid; it ran through a 6 hours marathon without a hitch.  

56. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 12:05 StingingVelvet

Forcing v=synch off causes a lot of issues, that's why they didn't put it in the menu. For one thing the physics can react VERY badly to higher than 60 framerates, which means indoors can get crazy. Also the mouse movement, especially vertical, can go nuts at high framerates.

Best to leave it on, I think.

As for my performance I have a single 480 and an older quad processor, the Q9550, stock speeds for both, 4GB RAM. On ultra settings with some shadow tweaks in the ini I get a locked 60fps indoors and usually around 40fps outside. In the heart of the big cities though my framerate plummets, which is really annoying. I don't want to lower everything in the game just for cities though, it's playable.

55. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 11:59 Nurgel

For those wanting a temporary fix for the lack of AMD Crossfire support, on the HardOCP forums they pointed me to a program called Radeonpro [url=]http://www.radeonpro.info[/url] which allows you to enable CF until AMD releases a proper driver/profile update.

Aside from the UI headaches (its pretty, sorta unwieldy but tolerable) I think this has to be my favorite TES since Daggerfall! Anyone else miss the randomly generated dungeons of doom? Those kept me busy for hours!

If I may ask Creston: in what direction would a prospective thief look in order to hook up with the thieves guild?

54. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 11:50 Tim Collins

It has to be the SLI because u cant get any more cookie cutter then my rig ...600T 560TI SLI, 2700k......

I wondering if a 120Hz monitor with vsync=on is the ticket then?

Pre-Beta Drivers
SLI = Off
VSYNC = Off
no studder/tear

Beta Skyrim Drivers
SLI = ON
VSYNC = OFF
heavy studder/tear

Beta Skyrim Drivers
SLI = ON
VSYNC = ON
Smooth@Max'd settings -Ambient Occlusion

53. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 11:03 wtf_man

jomisab wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 10:35:
Tim Collins wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 10:27:
1st initial response to UI was....consolitis and lazyness

I honestly don't how anybody can play with VSYNC turned off, microstudder and tearing even at 120fps(560ti OC SLI, 2700k)

I play with vSync off and have no issues. Using GTX 470.

He's running 2 cards in SLI. SLI and Crossfire are notorious for micro-stutter, which is one of the reasons I'll never run 2 cards.

This explains why:
http://techreport.com/articles.x/21516
(Page 5 specifically get's into the multi-gpu micro-stuttering problem)

I'm running the High settings on a single 4.5 year old 8800GTX with no issues. Of course I turned off the regular 8xAA and I'm only running FXAA... but other than that... it is all the defaults for the high settings.

A Single 560 Ti could easily run Ultra settings without microstutter.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2011, 11:32.

52. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 11:00 Creston

And as for everyone complaining that "ATI IS USELESS AGAIN," my 5850 runs the game on Ultra silky smooth without any issues whatsoever. :-shrug-:

Creston

51. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 10:57 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 01:31:
Creston wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 01:24:
If you want Ultra settings (and believe me, you do!) you want a fairly nice machine.

Creston
Depends on what you mean by nice. A AMD x4-965, with 4gigs of ram and a 550/560 or 6870(or something close to it), and you can run on ultra just fine.

Creston

50. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 10:53 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 08:17:
The problem with the UI is the ridiculous amount of scrolling you have to do. Want to check all your skills? You have to scroll. Want to check your perks? Scroll. Want to see the full map? Scroll. Want to check your inventory? Scroll. Want to equip something? Scroll. You probably spend at least 10% of your total playtime just scrolling through menus.

I disagree. You do have to scroll a lot, sure, but the menus are designed to get in, scroll, then get out very quickly. I am spending less time in menus than I did in Morrowind, that's for sure. Mouse-driven menus are usually slower in my experience.

49. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 10:35 jomisab

Tim Collins wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 10:27:
1st initial response to UI was....consolitis and lazyness

I honestly don't how anybody can play with VSYNC turned off, microstudder and tearing even at 120fps(560ti OC SLI, 2700k)

I play with vSync off and have no issues. Using GTX 470.

68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo