Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on WoW Changes

Explanation of 4.3 Balance Changes, Part Two has more on what to expect from the next patch for World of Warcraft (if you missed it, here's part one). This article goes into class and buff changes in Blizzard's MMORPG, offering this overview of their approach to balance tweaking: "In particular, we try to be really conservative when buffing spec B of a class upwards to compete with spec A of the same class. We have gotten it wrong before, and forced a large number of players to swap specs. Ideally we want you to play the spec you enjoy the most and not the one that does the highest DPS, but asking you to continually swap specs to achieve that highest DPS is an unreasonable thing for us to ask."

View
10. Re: More on WoW Changes Nov 14, 2011, 18:56 Endo

They majorly missed the boat years ago already, and with each rebalancing effort it only gets magnified (and worse). I quit just 11 months ago and the game has already changed so much I recognize barely half of the spells and talents they're discussing.

Anyway, back to my original point. What they needed to do early on was separate PvP and PvE functions. Many abilities should have one function when used against an NPC target, and a slightly different one when used against a player target. They kind of did that with CC, which is a good starting place, but it needed to be more apparent what the differences are from player to NPC targets, needed to be implemented on more abilities, and the differences needed to be more significant. That's precisely what ArenaNet did with GW and it allowed them to keep the same abilities around and keep them balanced with only minor changes. And the best part is, a PvP nerf need not affect PvE, and a PvE nerf need not affect PvP.

In a brief scan of the article, they think melee dps is fine for PvP, but too low for PvE. So they change "raid buffs" to increase melee attack power by 20%, but ranged still only 10%. Um... no one ever uses "raid buffs" for PvP?? Really? WRONG. The correct answer is to tweak some specific rogue damage talents to increase damage vs. NPCs while keeping it the same vs. players. Simple and to the point. Instead, now melee DPS will be OP in PvP and players will whine about that. Newsflash Blizzard: IT HASN'T WORKED IN 7 YEARS, AND IT STILL WON'T.

As someone else mentioned, the more they "balance" the more they normalize classes, and they're working towards making classes just copies of every other class with the only real difference being ability names.

I'm so glad I quit WoW and I have no desire to ever go back.

Previous Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Nov 12, 14:40 Re: More on WoW Changes Mashiki Amiketo
  2. Nov 12, 15:43 Re: More on WoW Changes Wallshadows
  3. Nov 12, 20:32 Re: More on WoW Changes AnointedSword
  4. Nov 13, 04:46 Re: More on WoW Changes Sempai
  5. Nov 13, 08:40 Re: More on WoW Changes Wallshadows
  6. Nov 13, 09:04  Re: More on WoW Changes Muscular Beaver
  7. Nov 13, 12:41   Re: More on WoW Changes Beelzebud
  8. Nov 13, 13:10    Re: More on WoW Changes Fion
  9. Nov 14, 07:34     Re: More on WoW Changes GayBlade
>> 10. Nov 14, 18:56 Re: More on WoW Changes Endo