Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Skyrim Soars

The Steam Game and Player Statistics Page shows The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim as the most played game by current player count as of this writing, with more players than all the other games on the list combined. This also show today's peak number of concurrent users for Bethesda's new RPG sequel was 231,593. Thanks Acleacius via FPSWin. And for your tweaking pleasure: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim How To Enable Ambient Occlusion. And for your larcenous side: How to steal in Skyrim.

View
78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

58. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 13:49 dangerman77

edit  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 13:46 Creston

Linksil wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 11:28:
Choosing where to put the skill point is probably the best example. All you get it a box saying "Choose a place to put the point, you'll get one every level" But there's no hint at max levels. On here someone said your max is 70, which already makes me regret spreading out my first 3 points to try out different things. On a system that's so "use it to get better" limited points is a total counter to it.

Note that the perks are IN ADDITION to your skill just getting better with use. When your skill level goes up, you do get better at what the skill does. Ie, you do more damage, you get better at opening locks (takes longer for your pick to break), etc. Just like it always used to.

The perks are just in addition to that. You're almost impossible to detect at Sneak 100, so adding the perk just makes it that much harder.

Other then that the games enjoyable enough you can play through the menu system very fast once you get used to it. The WORST thing about the menu's is Right click puts things in your left hand and Left click puts things in your right. Try to tell me the reason for that.

That actually makes perfect sense to me, and I'm glad they did that. Left clicking has always swung weapons in a character's RIGHT hand in RPGs. I'm glad they didn't switch it around, because I would have hated swinging my right handed weapon with the right mouse button.

Creston

56. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 13:43 Creston

briktal wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 12:12:

Increasing your Stamina at level up increases your carrying capacity.

Ahhhh, didn't realize that. Thanks!

Creston

55. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 13:32 Tim Collins

The game is A1....VERY FUN

The only thing I'd change is making left mouse button equip/de-equip the left hand and the right mouse button equip/de-equip the right hand........the ol invert mouse situation all over again.

54. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 13:25 Quboid

Hudson wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 12:16:
wtf_man wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 11:57:
I just discovered that you can hotkey stuff on the 1-8 (non-numpad) keys.

Just open your favorites, hover the mouse over what you want hot-keyed and press a number.

Good job genius welcome to 2006

Your whole post history is one of flaming and trolling. Why are you so filled with anger?

- Quboid

53. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 13:20 Yaogun

That might help some folks.

Thanks, wtf_man, I hadn't found this trick. I kept popping up the favorites menu to switch spells. Hotkeys = much better.

Fully and completely addicted to this game. I love the perks/skill-based leveling. I think my playthroughs will actually feel different this time.

52. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 13:15 Agent.X7

Just open your favorites, hover the mouse over what you want hot-keyed and press a number.

Did that make you feel better about yourself? Belittling others with no provocation is often a sign of low self esteem. Perhaps you should seek counseling.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

51. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 12:53 Quboid

The problem people seem to have boils down to either "oh no, it's different, therefore worse!", or "oh no, it's simplified, therefore consolised, therefore worse!". Simplification is good - of course it can be done badly, but in it's self, it is a good thing. Change can be good or can be bad, if nothing else I welcome the attempt at innovation. If the change is bad, well then Elder Scrolls 6 has something to work on.

If I wanted an updated Morrowind, I'd play Morrowind with a graphics mod.

wtf_man wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 12:36:

Well, Jackhole, that was uncalled for.

I was too busy playing the game, and I didn't think there was a way to hotkey anything given the consolized-menu-UI. I just figured anyone else that didn't know about the hotkeys and was having difficulty with the UI might find it helpful.

I was having trouble with this, I found the favourites menu a bit unweldy. I don't know why Hudson is being a dick about you pointing this out, specially as I don't know of any game, in 2006 or otherwise, which uses this system.

Other then that the games enjoyable enough you can play through the menu system very fast once you get used to it. The WORST thing about the menu's is Right click puts things in your left hand and Left click puts things in your right. Try to tell me the reason for that.

Because your right hand is usually dominant, but your left mouse button is usually dominant (precisely because your right hand is dominant). It is a bit counter intuitive, but most of the time, IMHO, it is preferable to use the "normal" mouse button for the "normal" arm.

- Quboid

50. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 12:42 Eldaron Imotholin

wtf_man wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 12:36:

I was too busy playing the game, and I didn't think there was a way to hotkey anything given the consolized-menu-UI. I just figured anyone else that didn't know about the hotkeys and was having difficulty with the UI might find it helpful.

I didn't know! Thanks!

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

49. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 12:36 wtf_man

48. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 12:16 Angrius Maximis

47. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 12:12 briktal

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 11:09:
I'm not sure if I feel it's the best game in the series yet (I don't like how much they took out, especially in the attributes sections. So every character can now carry 300lbs, and that's it? Strong characters don't get a bonus in carrying? It's just dumbing down for no reason whatsoever. Even the most idiotic MW player can figure out that More Strenght = Carry More. Apparently Bethesda didn't think so.) but I do love Skyrim.

I especially really enjoy the added difficulty. Went to kill a bandit leader somewhere, and got royally RAPED by a Saber Cat on my way there.

Tried to sneak attack a Giant camp, and got turned into Bantha Puddu by a Mammoth.

Tried to climb a mountain and got destroyed by something I didn't even see. One second I'm climbing, the next second I hear some ferocious animal roar and I'm tumbling down the mountain, dead as a doorknob.

Also, I know everyone harped on Oblivion for being too "Generic Fantasy", but at least it was colorful. Skyrim's a bit too much drab green, grey and white for my taste.

But all in all I'm loving it. Still trying to find the Thieves' Guild.

Creston

Increasing your Stamina at level up increases your carrying capacity.

46. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 12:05 J

I'm just sitting here and watching the feedback. Whether or not I get Skyrim depends on feedback and how it's handled.

For the moment I've gone back to X-Com: UFO Defense, and that should keep me occupied for a while.

45. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 11:57 wtf_man

For example: I have shield on 1, sparks on 2, and heal on 3.
before I added them to favorites... they were equiped on the left hand (right mouse button)

It's very handy to quickly switch my left hand "equipped" item/spell, and be able to still swing my sword.

EDIT: Actually I just changed 3 to potions of healing, instead of casting the spell, since I have no intention of raising Restoration.

That might help some folks.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2011, 12:05.

44. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 11:28 Linksil

Having not followed the game that much before release, I do find the lack of in game help a little high. I keep having to make choices, but when i'm faced with them i'm like I have no clue how this will effect it in the longer run.

Choosing where to put the skill point is probably the best example. All you get it a box saying "Choose a place to put the point, you'll get one every level" But there's no hint at max levels. On here someone said your max is 70, which already makes me regret spreading out my first 3 points to try out different things. On a system that's so "use it to get better" limited points is a total counter to it.

Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

43. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 11:27 Creston

That stealing video is fucking hilarious.

Creston

42. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 11:20 wtf_man

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 11:08:
I can't get into it yet. I feel like most of my play-time I'm wasting in the inventory switching between stuff, even with using the favorites feature.

The inventory system is fucking horrid. The graphics also lack a certain *umpf* you expect from a game from late 2011.

Well... quit fucking with your inventory and play the damn game!

Seriously though, I pretty much run through a dungeon or quest before I sift through my loot. 1 extra point in armor here or there doesn't give you that big of an advantage to get through it.

/shrug

41. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 11:17 Creston

everyone wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 06:32:
Because you've decided - for whatever reason - to not enjoy playing what is obviously a very enjoyable game. Your loss.

Well said. What a useless bullshit rant.

Creston

40. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 11:11 Creston

heroin wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 00:07:
It sucks that my E button decided to die. You know, it really sucks that E being a major vowel and all is used so much. I dont think I really realized that before.

For some reason Skyrim does not appreciate my Sharp Keys programming so I basically have to wait until a modder makes a key bind program that can be used outside of the game.... considering I get stuck on the menu requiring me to press E in order to continue. Not just in the menu but also when it comes time to grab stuff from chests... which requires th push of an E button.

Or, you know, you could just go buy a new keyboard?

Creston

39. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 11:09 Creston

I'm not sure if I feel it's the best game in the series yet (I don't like how much they took out, especially in the attributes sections. So every character can now carry 300lbs, and that's it? Strong characters don't get a bonus in carrying? It's just dumbing down for no reason whatsoever. Even the most idiotic MW player can figure out that More Strenght = Carry More. Apparently Bethesda didn't think so.) but I do love Skyrim.

I especially really enjoy the added difficulty. Went to kill a bandit leader somewhere, and got royally RAPED by a Saber Cat on my way there.

Tried to sneak attack a Giant camp, and got turned into Bantha Puddu by a Mammoth.

Tried to climb a mountain and got destroyed by something I didn't even see. One second I'm climbing, the next second I hear some ferocious animal roar and I'm tumbling down the mountain, dead as a doorknob.

Also, I know everyone harped on Oblivion for being too "Generic Fantasy", but at least it was colorful. Skyrim's a bit too much drab green, grey and white for my taste.

But all in all I'm loving it. Still trying to find the Thieves' Guild.

Creston

78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo