Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Stress Test This Month

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website has word that everyone who applied to beta test BioWare's upcoming Star Wars MMORPG will be invited to a stress test weekend later this month, also offering a list of websites where weekend beta keys will be distributed:

When we started our Beta Testing Weekends, we told you that each weekend would include more testers than the last. We’re excited to announce that later this month we will be conducting our largest Beta Testing Weekend yet, specifically designed to help us stress test our servers in preparation for the launch of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

How can you take part in this coming Beta Test Weekend? Well, for starters we are happy to announce that anyone who has signed up for our Game Testing Program prior to today, November 11th, will get invited! Invites will be sent in the coming weeks.

In other The Old Republic news, this trailer kicks off a series of "Choose Your Side" videos on class choices, contrasting the Inquisitor versus the Trooper.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Stress Test This Month Nov 12, 2011, 14:22 saluk

It's not just voice acting. The quests are designed differently than your bog standard mmo quest, and I have not seen many that ARE bog standard. Although I am still early in the game, it may change later. Basically, instead of being told you need to COLLECT something, or KILL a set number of things; you are told to usually TALK to someone or DESTROY things. If you happen to kill 10 creeps on your way to doing the interesting thing, you will get optional rewards, but the fact that the boring stuff is marked optional makes it feel a lot less grindy. Even if, like me, you do all of the optional quests.

They could have done all of that stuff without voice acting and it would still have the same effect. I've always wondered why the market settled on wall of text quest descriptions that no one reads, vs back and forth dialog that pulls you through the story.

But yeah, I'm having more fun than I thought I would. It's not quite as good as kotor, but it's kind of a weird frankenstien of it that still holds some charm.

Textures are worse than Rage though, so you'll be doing a lot of squinting. This may be a beta or graphics issue though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Stress Test This Month Nov 12, 2011, 13:41 entr0py

Not mentioned in this article is that Bioware also gave away thousands of beta keys to gaming websites for the same upcoming beta weekend. Which can be used even if you didn't sign up for testing prior to Nov. 11th.

In a move of epic weaseldom IGN has decided to sell their allotment in the form of bundling it with a premium subscription to their webzone. Even worse they just describe it simply as a "closed beta invitation", you have to do some digging to figure out it's for this weekend beta that every person who applied for testing was already invited to.

13. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Nov 12, 2011, 13:26 Ant

Taliseian wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 12:06:
There are several tests going on...

1) Regular Beta Testing
2) Weekend Beta Testing - Invites to a weekend only testing phase - usually an older build and does some stress testing
3) Stress Test - This is the one you got an email for. You can't download it yet because they haven't set the date or the build that will be used. This is also only for a weekend.

T
Thanks! I have #2. I won't have time and the HDD spaces to play it this weekend.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

12. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Stress Test This Month Nov 12, 2011, 12:18 BobCalli

There is no key involved. If you are in the test, you will get a link to download the client so you can start the ginormous download you have to do. At least that is what happened in my case. Also, 20 GB takes a hell of a long time to DL on DSL  

11. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Nov 12, 2011, 12:16 nin

Taliseian wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 12:06:

1) Regular Beta Testing
2) Weekend Beta Testing - Invites to a weekend only testing phase - usually an older build and does some stress testing
3) Stress Test - This is the one you got an email for. You can't download it yet because they haven't set the date or the build that will be used. This is also only for a weekend.

T

Yep. Got a coworker in the first group, I'm in the second, and got an email (actually 2) about the 3rd.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

10. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Nov 12, 2011, 12:06 Taliseian

1) Regular Beta Testing

T

9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Stress Test This Month Nov 12, 2011, 11:07 Phaint

eunichron wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 01:26:
I got the invitation e-mail, but there was no key or link (other than to the NDA) in it. I double checked to make sure it wasn't a scam, and then I saw this post. It sounds like they're planning this in a few weeks, and are just sending out invites ahead of time to give people a heads up.

The same thing happened to me, got the email stating my account has been selected to beta test KOTOR yet no key or anything. I guess it was just a preemptive email to let you know not to get beta keys from anywhere else since you will have a guaranteed one. dunno

8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Stress Test This Month Nov 12, 2011, 10:24 Dades

It's Star WoW with slight enhancements like companions and mostly voiced content. If you like WoW you'll like this but I couldn't get into it since I don't really care for the Star Wars license and already played enough WoW to last a life time. The 20+GB must be made of voice files for the most part because visually the game is a bit drab, it certainly doesn't stand out.  

7. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Stress Test This Month Nov 12, 2011, 02:53 Ant

I got in this for this weekend, but I don't have 20 GB to download before installing! I also don't have free time. I can play it over the long Thanksgiving weekend, but will there be a stress test?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Stress Test This Month Nov 12, 2011, 02:28 nin

nin I have to agree with what ya said when I asked you about the game. The voice acting (and turning sub-titles off) is bringing you into the game.

It's funny what a small change like that can do, but yeah. Even though everyone gets that same speech, it seems more personal, and directed at your character in particular.

5. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Stress Test This Month Nov 12, 2011, 01:44 The Half Elf

nin wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 22:57:
I'm on my second weekend, and having a lot of fun.

I wish the textures were a bit better, but overall I'm sold on it and I'm not even out of the training area yet.

nin I have to agree with what ya said when I asked you about the game. The voice acting (and turning sub-titles off) is bringing you into the game.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Stress Test This Month Nov 12, 2011, 01:27 Agent.X7

Shok wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 22:32:
I got invited to a beta stress test this weekend. I haven't played much so far but I like it better than I did Rift when I was invited to that beta. Even so I'm doubtful I will be buying it since there are just too many other things I would rather spend time on than the MMO grind.

Enjoying it. Doesn't seem grindy at all, which is surprising. Still looking forward to Guild Wars 2 more though.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

3. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Stress Test This Month Nov 12, 2011, 01:26 eunichron

I got the invitation e-mail, but there was no key or link (other than to the NDA) in it. I double checked to make sure it wasn't a scam, and then I saw this post. It sounds like they're planning this in a few weeks, and are just sending out invites ahead of time to give people a heads up.  

2. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Stress Test This Month Nov 11, 2011, 22:57 nin

I'm on my second weekend, and having a lot of fun.

1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Stress Test This Month Nov 11, 2011, 22:32 Shok

I got invited to a beta stress test this weekend. I haven't played much so far but I like it better than I did Rift when I was invited to that beta. Even so I'm doubtful I will be buying it since there are just too many other things I would rather spend time on than the MMO grind.  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo