Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record

According to Activision, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 has set a sales record, selling 6.5 million units in the U.S. and U.K. in under 24 hours:

Santa Monica, CA - November 11, 2011 - Shattering its own day-one sales records, Activision Publishing, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard (Nasdaq: ATVI), announced that its highly-anticipated Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® 3 has become the biggest entertainment launch ever with an estimated sell-through of more than $400 million and more than 6.5 million units in North America and the United Kingdom alone in the first 24 hours of its release, according to Charttrack and retail customer sell-through information.

This marks the third consecutive year that the Call of Duty franchise has set day one launch records across all forms of entertainment, something no other entertainment franchise in any medium has ever accomplished. Last year, in North America and the United Kingdom, Activision's Call of Duty: Black Ops™ had estimated day-one sell-through of $360 million and in 2009, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, set day-one records with estimated sell through of $310 million, according to Charttrack and retail customer sell-through information.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record Nov 13, 2011, 14:31 Beamer

For the record, time it took to beat single player on the second hardest difficulty: 5:52.

It felt easier than MW2, but maybe I did that on the hardest. I redid far fewer sections, and seemed to go back in time far less. Single player still has two major flaws on consoles: first is that it's a bit too much whack-a-mole with you slamming each trigger to target and kill guys (you die if you do anything else as typically you can't see where you're being shot from through the smoke and HUD blood, so this will target guys invisible to you), and the game is too much a run to the checkpoint. It's almost like a racing game - you just dash from checkpoint to checkpoint as fast as possible as you know failure to do so means dying and restarting, and you know it's infinite spawning so you'll never breath, anyway. You never get to stop and relax. On top of this it oddly has you hunting for stuff. That felt odd in Gears of War, but at least Gears doesn't infinite respawn so you can stop and smell the roses (though your AI friends will dash ahead to the next fight...) It does not belong here.

Plot seemed more coherent but more boring this time, still closed up loose ends. And, despite moments where you die 2 seconds after reloading due to a headshot, the loads were almost instantaneous, making it far less annoying than it could be.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record Nov 13, 2011, 14:07 RogNog

I actually agree with you

In many ways Activision are stuck by their shareholders. To innovate is risky as you never know how your public may react. You may take it to the next level, or, (new flavour coke anyone?) as from this and plenty of other examples in history you can crash and burn big style. I would also reiterate that I am not a COD hater, my purchase history with the franchise should tell you that, but when it comes to outlaying £50 I have to be convinced that there has been evolution. IMHO new maps and a few weapons tweaks and kill streak changes dont consitute that, (again my opinion). So my personal choice is not to buy it.

Anyway its only a game at the end of the day and will ahve its time like many other franchises, so peace be with you and may all your twitch kills be head shots

16. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record Nov 12, 2011, 18:43 Ventura

If you enjoy it then all power to you spend you money and have fun but next time read through a thread a few times before you reply to make sure you understand someones point of view.

See, what's funny is that your point of view has actually now changed. Your complaint is now about a lack of innovation, which as you'll notice had you actually read and understood my reply, I don't really have a problem with. That said, I do find it amusing, if just because none of the other main franchises are also really innovating either.

If the list of features present in these games isn't worth it to you, that's fine, but that doesn't mean they're skimping on the development in any way. They're just doing the same thing they've always done, because it would seem that's what a lot of people continue to want.

Personally, I'd just call that good business, but hey, maybe money's just not as important to you as it is to these guys.

I think BF3 really hurt MW3.

On the PC, I think it's Skyrim that hurt it more. While I went for MW3 this week, I'm seeing what you are; that is, so many others on my Steam list playing Skyrim instead. While shooter fans may have gotten their fill from BF3 and have passed on MW3 because of that, I'd say far more only budgeted for one title at around this time, and decided Skyrim was going to be it.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2011, 19:04.

15. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record Nov 12, 2011, 14:37 saluk

Quake all the way. Unreal is to "sports"-y.

But BF3 and MW3, as much as EA wants you to think BF3 is in the same category, are very different games. Should never be mentioned in the same sentance, unless you are talking about the BF3 campaign, which should never be mentioned period.

I know at some point I will play the MW3 campaign, I've had a good time with their campaigns up till now, but I wont be buying it until its on sale. I'm not a big fan of the modern warfare multiplayer either. But that's obviously just me. 6.5 million in 24 hours, that's just crazy.

14. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record Nov 12, 2011, 14:00 Beelzebud

Watching people "debate" about BF3 and MW3 reminds me of the old Quake Vs. Unreal flame wars.

Except now I'm 13 years older and it all seems so ridiculous now.

13. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record Nov 12, 2011, 13:40 xXBatmanXx

I don't think they sold much on the PC - out of the 1,000 plus people in my friends list, I have only seen 6-7 people playing the game. I think BF3 really hurt MW3.

Skyrim is another story though.....usually have 10+ people all the time playing it.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

12. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record Nov 12, 2011, 12:21 RogNog

Ventura wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 08:40:
That's a bit harsh. It has a complete single player campaign, fully-featured multiplayer, Spec Ops missions, and Spec Ops survival. It's not like there's not lots to do, and unlike Battlefield 3, there really is something for everyone.

I don't mind criticism with regards to its lack of innovation or because it using the same engine, but all you're really doing is making stuff up because you don't like that it sells so well.

If you read through my post properly, you will see I have no problem with the game selling. Again as I said in my thread I lost a lot of hours to COD4 and why innovate if it sells well, as the public obvioulsy want more.

To expand a little on what I said, I bought COD5, didnt buy MW2 because of the dedicated server issue but did invest in Black Ops. Now BLOPS did feel to me like a very good map pack for COD4, COD5 but as the single player for me is a secondary issue (alot wont have even played it all the way through!) Multiplayer is everything to me, and I was soundly dissapointed, it was good but hadnt moved on, consequently I didnt play it to much and when BFBC2 came out I didnt play it all.

I havent "made stuff up" the items you list are all available in BLOPS and MW2. They are good for the audience they are designed for but personally to me they are not worth the outlay anymore to play what I see is basically the same multiplayer game with rail shooters tacked on. With DLC these games Have become a $100 a year investment and I dont think that is worth it and it would seem that the PC community atleast through sales are starting to think the same thing.

If you enjoy it then all power to you spend you money and have fun but next time read through a thread a few times before you reply to make sure you understand someones point of view.

11. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record Nov 12, 2011, 11:53 Nucas

RogNog wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 08:05:
It would be interesting to know what the split is across the platforms. Im particularly interested in seeing if PC sales have broken records or whether they have cooled off and its Console sales that have soared.
i read recently it was 56% xbox, 42% ps3 and the remaining 2% were pc and wii sales.

edit: i'm trying to find this article again but i think it was one of my pulse news feeds.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2011, 12:05.

10. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record Nov 12, 2011, 11:08 [VG]Reagle

Modern Warfare is exactly what gamers want and I am a big fan of COD (and I would OWN all the NOOBs on this forum).

But one major bitch I have is the lack of "real" dedicated servers. The matchmaking feature is quite poor and the dedicated servers dont have good server browser and are unranked.

That sucks.

I am much better now.

9. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record Nov 12, 2011, 08:40 Ventura

It is what it is and while it breaks records Activision will churn out another Map pack (sorry I mean full game) next year guaranteed. Wouldnt you ? very little effort for maximum reward. It strikes me that with there being so little apparent development

That's a bit harsh. It has a complete single player campaign, fully-featured multiplayer, Spec Ops missions, and Spec Ops survival. It's not like there's not lots to do, and unlike Battlefield 3, there really is something for everyone.

I don't mind criticism with regards to its lack of innovation or because it using the same engine, but all you're really doing is making stuff up because you don't like that it sells so well.

8. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record Nov 12, 2011, 08:05 RogNog

It would be interesting to know what the split is across the platforms. Im particularly interested in seeing if PC sales have broken records or whether they have cooled off and its Console sales that have soared. In any event I think its amazing that Activision have developed a franchise which bascially sells map packs every year for the price of a full game. Dont get me wrong, as run and gun twitch shooters go COD is one of the best and I lost many an hour to COD4, but I can only take so much of run shoot die spawn.

I think the game play and development of the Battlefield series has been more refreshing and keeps me coming back for more and I am currelty loosing countless hours to BF3.

I dont hate COD as I dont hav to buy it. It is what it is and while it breaks records Activision will churn out another Map pack (sorry I mean full game) next year guaranteed. Wouldnt you ? very little effort for maximum reward. It strikes me that with there being so little apparent development, most of the money they now spend goes into the advertising and developing an aura around the game. EA have done it for years with FIFA and Activision have seen this and want the develop COD into a sport. Check out the advertising if you dont beleive me. Its less about the contents and more about the different ways in which you can score. Another give away is Elite TV or whatever it is with "star player" interviews and leagues and the like. Make no mistake this is where they are going. I for one will not be partaking but I dont hate those that do.

After never underestimate the stupidity of a fan. Steve Jobs totally understood this and so do activision.

Innovate once replicate till it dies.

7. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record Nov 12, 2011, 02:30 Jackplug

[Troll] I know quite a few ppl who ave bought MW3 and regretted it, its a shallow MW2 copy. Although what do you expect from an engine that is from Cod4:modern Warfare, shows Activomits commitment to ripping off its loyal fans. I wouldnt mind if it was a good game but its a shite, linear game that they bought the last time being Black Ops, there is no difference in the way the character moves, how they get shot, sfx everything.[/Troll]

[Trolling even more] Just shows everyone how blind and dumb the cod fans have become, thankfully they wont wanna play BF3 which stands out a mile with freedom of play, sfx, gfx, depth of play and destruction.[/Trolling even more]

6. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record Nov 12, 2011, 01:39 Beamer

pacbowl wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 01:36:
Bbbbbbut what about piracy? Record numbers? Oh yeah they are lost sales and the numbers should be double what they are. Right?

No one complains about console piracy, and most of these sales are on consoles.

It's like the awkward logic trolls are new at this...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record Nov 12, 2011, 01:36 pacbowl

Bbbbbbut what about piracy? Record numbers? Oh yeah they are lost sales and the numbers should be double what they are. Right?  

4. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record Nov 12, 2011, 01:06 SM0k3

[troll]
6.5 million suckers
[/troll]

3. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record Nov 11, 2011, 23:55 tuddies

I agree - BF3 and SKYRIM FTW! This is too much of a console crapfest, but maybe the single player is decent when it gets discounted heavily?  

2. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record Nov 11, 2011, 22:53 Nucas

phenomenal campaign, tied up the series perfectly.

err, i mean, EWWW IT'S SUPER POPULAR I HATE IT, YUCKY

1. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record Nov 11, 2011, 22:22 Xirix

Funny, MW3 is the only title I don't own.
BF3 and Skyrim....too many games to play.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo