Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Skyrim Arrives

The Bethesda Blog marks today's release of The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim, the RPG sequel so highly anticipated that they need not even mention its name:

Today’s the big day! To help celebrate the occasion, IGN got artist Bashir Sultani to pay tribute to the game with salt art. Awesome stuff!

From everyone at Bethesda, we hope you enjoy the game as much as we did making it. Have a great weekend playing!

PC Gamer offers a guide on tweaks for the PC edition to improve graphics, disable Vsync, change FOV, and more and HARDOCP has a performance and IQ preview.

View
141 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

101. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 17:22 Mashiki Amiketo

SirKnight wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 15:46:
Plus, with the PC, you need to spend tons of money to make it run at full specs at playable fps. Now, I have already done that, but still, spending tons on my PC every year is getting old as hell.
People actually believe this still? My "new" PC cost $500 to build, and runs skyrim on ultra. Here have a few screenshots. Since I've already got a surround sound setup, kinda moot.

x4-965, 560, 8GB of ram. 1920x1080, 8AA, 16AF, FXAA on, ultra everything, tweaked. I'm hitting the vsync cap but can still hit 80fps in dungeons with lots of light sources.
http://i43.tinypic.com/20kvv9u.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/j63968.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/hvdmrn.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/24eq9sw.jpg

Tones of money my ass. PC parts have never been cheaper than they are now, minus HDD costs because of flooding in thailand.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

100. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 17:22 Creston

The reasons are: play on a big LED HDTV (60"+)

Cost, according to first page of search results on Amazon for "60 inch LED" on average : $ 1000.

, theater style rocking surround sound system,

Cost, according to Amazon search for Home theater 7.1, on average : $250.

Cost for Xbox360: $200.

Total cost : $1450.

Plus, with the PC, you need to spend tons of money to make it run at full specs at playable fps.

Cost of my latest PC: $900. Add in 5850 that I took from old system, $250, and 27" monitor for $300, and total cost is $1450.

Oh, and might I say that Skyrim looks approximately 800 times more awesome on max PC settings than it does on every Xbox trailer I've seen. I can actually SEE mountains in the distance, rather than just fog.

Look, if you want to play it on a console, play it on a console. Enjoy it. I'm sure it's still a great game.

But this whole "It's so much more expensive on a PC!" thing never makes any sense to me.

I plan on getting a new monitor soon (my current one is starting to act very weird) and I'm thinking a 3D capable one this time around.

That's still pretty much a waste of money. How many games support 3D? Like five? I'd wait another year or two. By that time it will hopefully either have died out, or at least become marginally affordable.

Creston

99. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 17:22 Yaogun

With all the console-on-big-LCD-TV/PC debate going on, I'm curious: can one change the field of view on the console version? I can't imagine having to play this game with the default 60-70 degree FoV (I'm set at 100), and to me that would defeat the benefit of a huge screen.

Y'all are tempting me to try hooking up my PC to my TV, though. Lower resolution than my monitor but bigger screen... hmm...

98. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 17:12 Enahs

eunichron wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 16:13:
Dirwulf wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 16:00:
I can't read this thread anymore. Its making me very sad. I don't own Skyrim (yet) so I can't get in on the fun. Of course, my friend, who is a very hot looking girl, and unemployed, gets it gifted to her. Sometimes I wish I had boobs.

Average cost of a boobjob is $3,000-$4,000.

Start saving!

That is the price per boob though...

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

97. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 17:06 xXBatmanXx

CythrawL wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 16:49:
Plus, with the PC, you need to spend tons of money to make it run at full specs at playable fps. Now, I have already done that, but still, spending tons on my PC every year is getting old as hell.

Really?? My almost 2 year old upgrade runs this just fine.. I havent spent TONS of money in years. Get good kit to start with and just update the kit when shit starts to get really shitty.. Which isn't every year.

I don't see me getting an upgrade until next year at the earliest and that's a THREE year upgrade cycle.. That excuse is getting older than falling off my dinosaur..

Agreed. My rig has had the current OS installed over 4 years - and runs games pretty well. I would like to get a new rig, but that just isn't in the cards right now. I am sure it will run ok, but yea, would love to have new hardware.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

96. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 17:03 Cutter

Crustacean Soup wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 15:14:
Cutter wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 14:51:
Anyone know how to dual wield with favourites? You can do it with spells, but I can't dual wield weapons without having to go into my inventory and doing it and it's frustrating.

With the pad, it's the same as in the inventory. Left-trigger on one weapon, right-trigger on the other.

Ahh I figureed it out. It seems to be a bug that you can't do it with 2 items of the same name but different items work fine. And destruction is good, particularly flame vs. undead.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

95. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 16:49 CythrawL

Really?? My almost 2 year old upgrade runs this just fine.. I havent spent TONS of money in years. Get good kit to start with and just update the kit when shit starts to get really shitty.. Which isn't every year.

I don't see me getting an upgrade until next year at the earliest and that's a THREE year upgrade cycle.. That excuse is getting older than falling off my dinosaur..

94. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 16:47 Mashiki Amiketo

Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 16:14:
I'm curious what the towns are like population wise, they still pretty much lifeless?
People wake up, goto their job, do work, go home, eat, interact, attack animals and dogs. Kids taunt each other and fight, fistfights happen soemtimes in the streets between factions and people.

It's not as lifeless as oblivion.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

93. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 16:46 Beamer

Wildone wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 16:20:
Give me a PC & desk any day over a couch,handicapped controller & 6 year old graphics technology. ANY DAY

Kill me before giving me a desk. I spend half my workday at a desk. The last thing I want when I get home is another desk chair and another screen right in front of my face. I barely use my home system for the internet these days, opting instead for a netbook or tablet far from my home office. And yes, I could buy a second computer to hook up to my TV but I see little reason.

For the arguments that an expensive TV costs more than a gaming computer, sure. But I use it for more as well.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

92. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 16:36 venomhed

"I'm curious what the towns are like population wise, they still pretty much lifeless?"

Same as Oblivion, I cannot tell a difference.

91. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 16:36 StingingVelvet

Played another couple hours. Having a really hard time getting the mouse right but I think I got it now. V-synch forced on, shadows on high rather than ultra, mouse tweaked in ini file to remove smoothing and up sensitivity.

Anyway, I noticed a ton of old engine issues are still there. For example an enemy spawned in so far away that a story segment with him was missed because he was dead before I got there. That used to happen in previous Bethesda games too. Also the LOD pop-in is still pretty obvious when you're in a big flat area.

Loving the game though. It looks wonderful, the UI is fine if you can use a keyboard and mouse at the same time, the visual design is a million times more interesting than Oblivion's and the writing is much improved as well.

Happy.

90. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 16:20 Wildone

Give me a PC & desk any day over a couch,handicapped controller & 6 year old graphics technology. ANY DAY  

89. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 16:14 Yosemite Sam

I'm curious what the towns are like population wise, they still pretty much lifeless?

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

88. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 16:13 eunichron

Dirwulf wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 16:00:
I can't read this thread anymore. Its making me very sad. I don't own Skyrim (yet) so I can't get in on the fun. Of course, my friend, who is a very hot looking girl, and unemployed, gets it gifted to her. Sometimes I wish I had boobs.

Average cost of a boobjob is $3,000-$4,000.

Start saving!

87. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 16:12 Angrius Maximis

Even though mods and potentially higher res textures on the PC version is nice, honestly I'd rather have the console (360) version. The reasons are: play on a big LED HDTV (60"+), theater style rocking surround sound system, and sit on a comfortable couch/recliner.

Plus its made for the console, controls better and wont crash constantly like reports going out about the PC version. So of course you are making the better choice.

86. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 16:11 theyarecomingforyou

I've had several crashes-to-desktop and the performance with AMD isn't great, though they're due to release a Crossfire profile imminently. The game is an absolute blast and I'm really enjoying it so far - better than Oblivion - although the voice acting is bad.

Once updated drivers have been released and the inevitable patches come out the situation will improve. Still, glad I preordered.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

85. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 16:08 CptStern

"Plus, with the PC, you need to spend tons of money to make it run at full specs at playable fps."

ya I bet that 60" LCD was free. could buy 2 pcs for that price.

pc vs console debate is automatically stupid as soon as someone mentions playing on their couch; you'd think pc gamers would be playing on instruments of torture rather than chairs

84. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 16:00 Dirwulf

83. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 15:56 Teddy

Even though mods and potentially higher res textures on the PC version is nice, honestly I'd rather have the console (360) version. The reasons are: play on a big LED HDTV (60"+), theater style rocking surround sound system, and sit on a comfortable couch/recliner. The large TV with great sound system is really the key for an amazing experience with a game like this. Plus, with the PC, you need to spend tons of money to make it run at full specs at playable fps. Now, I have already done that, but still, spending tons on my PC every year is getting old as hell.

I think I'll get the 360 version and pick up the PC version on a steam sale in the future (to check out mods and stuff). I am curious how the nvidia 3d vision setup is with this game. I plan on getting a new monitor soon (my current one is starting to act very weird) and I'm thinking a 3D capable one this time around.

'Tons' is a relative term, and you can very easily do the TV with theater style sound with a computer, while playing from your couch. You don't -have- to play on a small monitor, or with a keyboard/mouse just because it's on a PC.

82. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 15:53 Teddy

Cutter wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 14:51:
Anyone know how to dual wield with favourites? You can do it with spells, but I can't dual wield weapons without having to go into my inventory and doing it and it's frustrating. Also I'm surprised how much I'm using a bow as I didn't intend to, but it's hard to hunt otherwise so far. Hell, it's hard to hunt anyway untill I get my stealth up. Those elk just take off so fast from so far away.

Don't know weapons specifically, but spells you do the same as you do with the regular screen. Set both weapons as favorites, then press Q to bring up the fav list, left click on an item for right hand, right click on the other for left.

So far as I know you can't set it up so one click on a fav item will dual wield it. Same goes if it's two of the same item, just Q, then lift click and right click on the item and you should be good to go.

141 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo