Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy 11/11/11. That's a catchy date, someone should have taken advantage and used that as the release date for a game. On a more serious note, November 11th is Veterans Day here in the U.S., an outgrowth of Armistice Day, which also gave birth to Remembrance Day. Here's a salute to the vets out there.

Veteran Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Asleep Walking.
Slayin.
Stories: Billy Crystal Replaces Eddie Murphy as Academy Awards Host.
Darwen hero parrot helps saves premature pupsí lives. Thanks Neatorama.
Media: How does one get dragon blood in the family tree, anyway? Uncensored song (NSFW).
Song of Skyrim.
Skyrim Antics of the Day.
Follow-up: Still Alive- Jonathan Coulton with Sara Quin Official Video.

View
8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2011, 12:50 Alamar

Beamer wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 12:26:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 12:16:
Beamer wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 11:35:
So I think I'm going to finally replace my old 19" CRT. It's 8 or 9 years old now, has a permanent reddish tint, is getting fuzzy in some areas and has diagonal reddish lines somewhat visible in any black. I've hung on to it forever, as I swore by CRTs, but it's almost 2012. Time to move on.

Any suggestions? I was going to go with a Dell IPS but figure maybe I should grab two monitors right now, replace the LCD so I have a matching pair rather than two different monitors, and I don't feel like spending $600-$700 for two monitors. I'm thinking 2 23" TFTs for ~$150-$170 apiece.

I really like my Samsung 226BW S panel, but there are newer ones that they have. I also have an ASUS that is a 23 inch. I dno't know which right now, not at home, but it is a very nice monitor that I got for a great price.

I would go to NewEgg and Amazon, look at a couple, look around and get one that matches your price range with great reviews. The technology changes on them so fast - hard to tell you which one to get even if it is only 6 months old.

Yup, and it's tough to tell via Newegg and Amazon reviews. You'll have many with glowing reviews and no clear distinguishing characteristics, making it a crapshoot.

I'm using a pair of Samsung 245B's, and I'm happy with em... Also switched to LCD late (had my 19" KDS CRT for about a decade... still worked, but holy crap... 50 lbs... LAN Parties were a workout). Had some 21" Samsung LCD's prior to that too, but they eventually died (sure as shit didn't last 10 years)...

I waited so that the technology wasn't crap, and it worked out well... Very happy with the end results...

And honestly, I'm really only using the one now, one a monitor arm, because my iMac is also on the desk now, blocking the other one... Why a monitor arm? Makes it so I can sit more comfortably in my recliner : )

-Alamar

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Nov 11, 10:34 Re: Out of the Blue Creston
  4. Nov 11, 10:59  Re: Out of the Blue xXBatmanXx
  5. Nov 11, 11:35   Re: Out of the Blue Beamer
  6. Nov 11, 12:16    Re: Out of the Blue xXBatmanXx
  7. Nov 11, 12:26     Re: Out of the Blue Beamer
>> 8. Nov 11, 12:50      Re: Out of the Blue Alamar
  9. Nov 11, 13:07      Re: Out of the Blue Pigeon
  13. Nov 11, 21:38       Re: Out of the Blue Creston
  14. Nov 11, 22:53        Re: Out of the Blue Pigeon