Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy 11/11/11. That's a catchy date, someone should have taken advantage and used that as the release date for a game. On a more serious note, November 11th is Veterans Day here in the U.S., an outgrowth of Armistice Day, which also gave birth to Remembrance Day. Here's a salute to the vets out there.

Veteran Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Asleep Walking.
Slayin.
Stories: Billy Crystal Replaces Eddie Murphy as Academy Awards Host.
Darwen hero parrot helps saves premature pupsí lives. Thanks Neatorama.
Media: How does one get dragon blood in the family tree, anyway? Uncensored song (NSFW).
Song of Skyrim.
Skyrim Antics of the Day.
Follow-up: Still Alive- Jonathan Coulton with Sara Quin Official Video.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2011, 22:53 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 21:38:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 13:07:
Something I noticed is some monitors are now forgoing DVI-inputs for HDMI. A problem for me since my video card only has DVI and S-Video. Apparently they come with adapters that let you convert DVI into HDMI. I'm a little wary of that method, is it a non-issue or are there problems associated with doing that?

Note that it's perhaps not HDMI on those monitors but Display Port. (Which is basically HDMI minus the sound.)

As for convertors, I use the DVI->Displayport and Displayport -> DVI at work and never have any issues, but admittedly that's not for gaming purposes.

Creston

It was HDMI, and I noticed it mostly on Asus monitors, many of which had speakers built in, so that would make sense. But good to know there's no conversion issue.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2011, 21:38 Creston

Pigeon wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 13:07:
Something I noticed is some monitors are now forgoing DVI-inputs for HDMI. A problem for me since my video card only has DVI and S-Video. Apparently they come with adapters that let you convert DVI into HDMI. I'm a little wary of that method, is it a non-issue or are there problems associated with doing that?

Note that it's perhaps not HDMI on those monitors but Display Port. (Which is basically HDMI minus the sound.)

As for convertors, I use the DVI->Displayport and Displayport -> DVI at work and never have any issues, but admittedly that's not for gaming purposes.

Creston

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2011, 16:20 The Pyro

A converter will not cause degradation. No signal conversion is required when going from DVI to HDMI (i.e. HDMI is backwards-compatible with DVI even though the connectors are shaped differently).

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2011, 15:48 Shineyguy

Thank you for the well-wishes for Veteran's Day. I pass my own onto my other brothers and sisters-in-arms.

I want to go see Immortals. I'm a sucker for Greek/Roman Mythology and fantasy/action films.

Also, I need to get myself Skyrim and start playing that. Hell I suppose I really should have finished Oblivion first; but the sheer scope of that game just couldn't hold me in enough. Even though I finished both Fallout 3 and New Vegas. That may be due to the fact that I'm a blind Fallout Fanboy though.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2011, 14:44 Cutter

For all the soldiers waiting to come home, past, present, and future, may you always come safely home.

As for the monitor. Just google top 10 LCD or LED monitors 2011 or 2012 for what's coming out. You can always find good stuff that way.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2011, 13:07 Pigeon

Beamer wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 12:26:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 12:16:
Beamer wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 11:35:
So I think I'm going to finally replace my old 19" CRT. It's 8 or 9 years old now, has a permanent reddish tint, is getting fuzzy in some areas and has diagonal reddish lines somewhat visible in any black. I've hung on to it forever, as I swore by CRTs, but it's almost 2012. Time to move on.

Any suggestions? I was going to go with a Dell IPS but figure maybe I should grab two monitors right now, replace the LCD so I have a matching pair rather than two different monitors, and I don't feel like spending $600-$700 for two monitors. I'm thinking 2 23" TFTs for ~$150-$170 apiece.

I really like my Samsung 226BW S panel, but there are newer ones that they have. I also have an ASUS that is a 23 inch. I dno't know which right now, not at home, but it is a very nice monitor that I got for a great price.

I would go to NewEgg and Amazon, look at a couple, look around and get one that matches your price range with great reviews. The technology changes on them so fast - hard to tell you which one to get even if it is only 6 months old.

Yup, and it's tough to tell via Newegg and Amazon reviews. You'll have many with glowing reviews and no clear distinguishing characteristics, making it a crapshoot.

My Acer LCD has been acting up as well, so I've been looking into replacing it for Christmas. The problem with Newegg reviews is trying to figure out who's having problems cause they're a moron, who thinks a product is great before they've even received it, and what problems are just bad luck, and which problems are actual trends.

IPS displays are great, but if you mainly game and 95% of the time sit right in front of your computer a TN monitor will save you a good deal of money without too much of a difference. Course if you've got the money might as well go IPS :). Only downside I've ever herd about IPS monitors is their response times are slow, but apparently that's not much of a problem any more.

Asus and Acer both seem to make good monitors and I believe they have 3 year warranties, which is always nice.

EDIT:

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2011, 12:50 Alamar

Beamer wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 12:26:
So I think I'm going to finally replace my old 19" CRT. It's 8 or 9 years old now, has a permanent reddish tint, is getting fuzzy in some areas and has diagonal reddish lines somewhat visible in any black. I've hung on to it forever, as I swore by CRTs, but it's almost 2012. Time to move on.

Any suggestions? I was going to go with a Dell IPS but figure maybe I should grab two monitors right now, replace the LCD so I have a matching pair rather than two different monitors, and I don't feel like spending $600-$700 for two monitors. I'm thinking 2 23" TFTs for ~$150-$170 apiece.

I really like my Samsung 226BW S panel, but there are newer ones that they have. I also have an ASUS that is a 23 inch. I dno't know which right now, not at home, but it is a very nice monitor that I got for a great price.

I would go to NewEgg and Amazon, look at a couple, look around and get one that matches your price range with great reviews. The technology changes on them so fast - hard to tell you which one to get even if it is only 6 months old.

Yup, and it's tough to tell via Newegg and Amazon reviews. You'll have many with glowing reviews and no clear distinguishing characteristics, making it a crapshoot.

I'm using a pair of Samsung 245B's, and I'm happy with em... Also switched to LCD late (had my 19" KDS CRT for about a decade... still worked, but holy crap... 50 lbs... LAN Parties were a workout). Had some 21" Samsung LCD's prior to that too, but they eventually died (sure as shit didn't last 10 years)...

I waited so that the technology wasn't crap, and it worked out well... Very happy with the end results...

And honestly, I'm really only using the one now, one a monitor arm, because my iMac is also on the desk now, blocking the other one... Why a monitor arm? Makes it so I can sit more comfortably in my recliner : )

-Alamar

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2011, 12:26 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2011, 12:16 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2011, 11:35 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2011, 10:59 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 10:34:
To all vets, and all those who serve: Thank you for your efforts, and your sacrifices, so we can live free.

God bless.

Creston

+1

(anyone going to see Immortals?)

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2011, 10:45 sauron

Here's to the vets. ^^

(Btw, that Skyrim antics video made me LOL - so silly).

Kittens!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2011, 10:42 MajorD

God Bless our troops (past, present, & future) for keeping us safe and living free. Thank you for all you do. Cheers

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2011, 10:34 Creston

To all vets, and all those who serve: Thank you for your efforts, and your sacrifices, so we can live free.

God bless.

Creston

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo