Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Free-to-Play EverQuest II Next Month

A new producer's letter announces EverQuest II is going full-on free-to-play next month after operating as a divided subscription/free combo platter. The letter is lengthy, going into extensive detail on how this will impact players of the MMORPG sequel, but it concludes with a handy summary:

All of this (and more) is planned to happen on the same day in early December (we'll announce the exact date as we get closer):

• "Age of Discovery" expansion launch (pre-order available now!).
        • GU 62 -"Freeport Reborn" launch, free to all players!
        • Free-to-play conversion.
        • A brand new website with an all new players section!

And more. Yes, there's still more that needs to firm up before being announced!
When all is said and done, there will only be two types of servers, PvE and PvP. You'll have complete flexibility on payment options. There will no longer be a mandatory up-front cost of any sort.

Everyone will be a winner.

Today, we'll be doing a Community Webcast covering all of this. Please be sure to send in any questions you might have via the Facebook page or Twitter so we can respond with answers during the Webcast!

You're going to love Age of Discovery, and Freeport is fantastic. Now that everything else is so incredibly flexible as well, there's a ton to love about EQII. We're looking forward to a great future with you!

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Free-to-Play EverQuest II Next Month Nov 11, 2011, 08:15 beigemore

Zadig wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 06:50:
It's sad seeing what EQ turned into. In the beginning it was a unique game and full of people, but when I tried the EQII trial it was just a wasteland. Even the capitol cities were ghost towns with less than 10 characters standing around.

Putting everyone on one server would help, but the killer was the high level cap and raising it continually. Wasting time and money on hundreds of zones that would be empty and useless in a few months is a staple of MMO developer stupidity.

Final Fantasy XI had a level cap of 75 for YEARS, since like December 2003. They just started raising it last year, I think, and now it's already pushing 95. I think it's unique compared to other MMO's because of the very consistent level cap it had. Made it weird at times, though, because they'd release new content, new expansions, etc, and some of the older items will still be the best in game. They kept you playing, though, because you could play every class with a single character, so you could collect gear for your black mage while playing as a warrior, etc, so at least they eliminated the issue of never seeing a drop on the character that needs it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Free-to-Play EverQuest II Next Month Nov 11, 2011, 06:50 Zadig

It's sad seeing what EQ turned into. In the beginning it was a unique game and full of people, but when I tried the EQII trial it was just a wasteland. Even the capitol cities were ghost towns with less than 10 characters standing around.

Putting everyone on one server would help, but the killer was the high level cap and raising it continually. Wasting time and money on hundreds of zones that would be empty and useless in a few months is a staple of MMO developer stupidity.

10. Re: Free-to-Play EverQuest II Next Month Nov 11, 2011, 05:11 Veterator

F2P was an irritating experience all around before this. How are they improving it?

I think my backpacks were full of stuff by level 5, which none of it was useful. I had a pop up asking me to go "go silver" every 20 minutes, and I couldn't play any of the classes I wanted to.

9. Re: Free-to-Play EverQuest II Next Month Nov 11, 2011, 01:31 beigemore

I only played for a few months when Echoes of Faydwer first came out. I had a lot of fun, but even back then when it was only on the 3rd expansion, it felt like nobody did any of the old content while leveling up and certain areas were just empty. The world and soundtrack were excellent, though, and it was fun when there were actually other people to play with.

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat with my characters being the races you have to pay to play.

8. Re: Free-to-Play EverQuest II Next Month Nov 11, 2011, 00:18 HorrorScope

Haven't played this in years, I wonder if it runs really smooth now with updated hardware.  

7. Re: Free-to-Play EverQuest II Next Month Nov 10, 2011, 23:36 Rossafur

Bah! Nevermind... Looks like this F2P is EXTREMELY limited:
http://everquest2.com/free_to_play/game_overview
4 player races
8 classes
2 player character slots
Restricted to Adept skill level
Legendary and Fabled gear restricted
2 bags per character
5 gold allowed per level
Can only receive in-game mail
0 shared bank slots
Broker system restricted
Frequent in-game pop-up advertising

And of course, NONE of my existing characters are of the allowed free races or classes. So, would be back to the same old $14.99/month to use them...

6. Re: Free-to-Play EverQuest II Next Month Nov 10, 2011, 23:23 Rossafur

Cutter wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 23:10:
Hopefully it means server merges. Last time I was there most zones were virtually empty and it was impossible to find people to group with. Looking forward to playing mah bruiser again though.

Not sure how long ago you last played, but last I checked there had been some server mergers. Unrest and Najena for sure.

5. Re: Free-to-Play EverQuest II Next Month Nov 10, 2011, 23:22 Rossafur

I've always been in love with the world and lore of Norrath, but I definitely have more fond memories from EQ1, though part of that is likely to be as it was my first MMO and *everything* about it was brand new and awe-inspiring. The summer when I was 16 consisted of nothing but working and marathon EQ sessions, haha.
Unfortunately, the reason I've quit EQ2 every time after getting the Norrath itch again is because it's been ridiculous trying to find a group, and group play was always the most fun, even though they pushed and pushed the game into being almost entirely solo-friendly (solo-friendly, yes, but boring as hell... Even with voiced-over quests, I'd still end up skipping through and just follow the journal updates.

That said, if it's totally free, I don't see any reason why I *wouldn't* check it out again now, ha.

4. Re: Free-to-Play EverQuest II Next Month Nov 10, 2011, 23:10 Cutter

Hopefully it means server merges. Last time I was there most zones were virtually empty and it was impossible to find people to group with. Looking forward to playing mah bruiser again though.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

3. Re: Free-to-Play EverQuest II Next Month Nov 10, 2011, 21:30 Bludd

Acleacius wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 20:50:
Except your F2P model was total crap, the worst model so far. People paying the FULL monthly fee, still didn't have full service.

Problem is now solved. Now all EQ2 is F2P and gold subscription gives you all races and all classes.

And it wasn't the worst because you didn't have to buy access to quests and zones (except for DoV exp).

2. Re: Free-to-Play EverQuest II Next Month Nov 10, 2011, 20:58 WarpCrow

Games like LOTRO have proven that F2P isn't always such a bad thing, but it certainly is this time. EQ2X has the worst cash shop I have ever seen in an MMO. It completely negates the value of the crafting system and when I last looked at it offered pretty much everything except actual platinum. For all I know they might have added that by now as well. It's such a shame, Norrath is one of the most interesting, immersive worlds I ever played in, and I have such awesome memories of it, but SOE has been slowly killing it for a long time now. I left around the time of the hacking scandal, and it looks like I was right not to look back.  

1. Re: Free-to-Play EverQuest II Next Month Nov 10, 2011, 20:50 Acleacius

Except your F2P model was total crap, the worst model so far. People paying the FULL monthly fee, still didn't have full service.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo