Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Animating Skyrim

Animating Skyrim on The Elder Scrolls Official Site is another lengthy developer diary for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Bethesda's excruciatingly imminent RPG sequel. As before, in addition to the text, this also offers an audio podcast, as well as this trailer on creating the game's animations. "We kind of reinvented the whole thing, and started with a brand new animation system," says lead animator Josh Jones. "From there it was like, what do we do with this? We have a lot of flexibility in terms of NPCs interacting with the environment, with each other. We have much more complex combat [in this game] than we had before."

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Animating Skyrim Nov 11, 2011, 15:36 Draugr

edit- double post because Im smooth!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Animating Skyrim Nov 11, 2011, 15:32 Draugr

Jerykk wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 12:23:
The pirate version has inconsistent behavior in the UI where clicks don't register and such... Retail UI is smooth and fast.

I certainly hope that's the case, as my legit copy arrives today. Unfortunately, I don't think the lack of item/spell hotkeys has anything to do with pirated copies.

Yeah, I have a legit copy and the UI still blows, he even says so himself, I dont understand how someone can say a UI is smooth and fast and then in basically the same breath say "Takes about three hours to get used to the UI, then it's not too bad" Sounds like a shit UI to me, and my legit copy still has a shit UI. It has nothing to do with piracy, just like when I commented on it earlier.

26. Re: Animating Skyrim Nov 11, 2011, 12:23 Jerykk

The pirate version has inconsistent behavior in the UI where clicks don't register and such... Retail UI is smooth and fast.

I certainly hope that's the case, as my legit copy arrives today. Unfortunately, I don't think the lack of item/spell hotkeys has anything to do with pirated copies.

25. Re: Animating Skyrim Nov 11, 2011, 10:56 siapnar

Mangrove wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 08:08:
Why stop there? First the killable children mod, then the naked killable children mod. Then the mod where you own a shack in the woods with a dungeon area populated solely with naked killable children.

Then a mod where the townsfolk learn of your evil deeds and pitchfork and torch your ass, en masse.
This is highly hilarious.
InBlack, take the pickle out of your arse.

I have projectile dysfunction.

24. Re: Animating Skyrim Nov 11, 2011, 09:56 Paranoid Jack

"Go to your Windows Control Panel -> hardware and sound -> click on sound -> rightclick on the speakers/soundcard etc. -> go to config, advanced and change one on the dropdown to 24bit, 48000Hz.
This will fix the crashing at menu, its the sounds thats bugged beyond shit its playable with the above done, higher quality makes it crash."

@Draugr, thanks and that is exactly what I did. I figured it out about ten minutes after I posted. I remember the main reason Fallout was crashing on my old PC. Sound card issues. So I reset the quality on my sound card to the default and the game booted fine.

I meant to post it last night but after playing I was tired and just went to bed. Thanks again,

23. Re: Animating Skyrim Nov 11, 2011, 09:50 Frijoles

Echoing what others said, the controls are horrible. Three hours to get used to the UI? WTF? That's not a good thing. And do the <L> and <R> icons on the weapons when you equip them seem backwards? I left click a weapon and it puts an <R> next to it. I right click a weapon and it puts <L> next to it. Confuses me to no end.

Favorites window is shit too. Give me an Oblivion DLC for $5 and I'll take that. The UI in Oblivion wasn't exactly great, but at least it was usable. I'm loving the game, I just wish I didn't have to fight with the controls.

22. Re: Animating Skyrim Nov 11, 2011, 09:41 Beamer

I'm kind of with him. I mean, killing children is cool and all, but it is odd that this is the first thing people are requesting. The game's been available 9 hours and people are jonesing to kill kids.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: Animating Skyrim Nov 11, 2011, 09:36 InBlack

Mangrove wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 08:08:
InBlack wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 06:53:
Does anyone know how to make children killable using the toolkit? If there is a mod that allows that a link would be great too. Thanks!

Why stop there? First the killable children mod, then the naked killable children mod. Then the mod where you own a shack in the woods with a dungeon area populated solely with naked killable children.

Then a mod where the townsfolk learn of your evil deeds and pitchfork and torch your ass, en masse.

I guess you never played Fallout 1 or 2 eh? Now mozy on off into the sunset on that high horse of yours before you fall off....

I have a nifty blue line!

20. Re: Animating Skyrim Nov 11, 2011, 08:08 Mangrove

Does anyone know how to make children killable using the toolkit? If there is a mod that allows that a link would be great too. Thanks!

19. Re: Animating Skyrim Nov 11, 2011, 07:19 Kajetan

LittleMe wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 05:51:
My guess main gripe is there's no compare feature for items.
What about the red and green numbers on the bottom of the screen, signaling worse or better stats in comparison to the eqipped item?

18. Re: Animating Skyrim Nov 11, 2011, 07:03 LittleMe

yes there's a mod at http://www.skyrimnexus.com/index.php

not too hard to find. Only a handful of mods so far.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

17. Re: Animating Skyrim Nov 11, 2011, 06:53 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

16. Re: Animating Skyrim Nov 11, 2011, 05:51 LittleMe

Jerykk wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 04:02:
Uh, the UI in Oblivion was 100 times better than this. You could actually click on everything. What you can click on in Skyrim's UI seems completely inconsistent. It's really, really terrible.

Also, the game runs like ass for me. The only way to get 60 FPS is to use the lowest detail settings. I'm hoping this is just another case of crappy ATI drivers.

The pirate version has inconsistent behavior in the UI where clicks don't register and such... Retail UI is smooth and fast. Takes about three hours to get used to the UI, then it's not too bad. My guess main gripe is there's no compare feature for items.

Performance is great on my ATI card. Latest drivers. 3rd person seems better. First person seems to sometimes skip and stutter sometimes more than others.

This is the best RPG I've played in, like.... A very long time.

Doing this helps mouse control also:

APPLY to SkyrimPrefs.ini \Users\[Username]\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim directory. -

bMouseAcceleration=0
fForegroundMouseAccelBase=0
fForegroundMouseAccelTop=0
fForegroundMouseBase=0
fForegroundMouseMult=0

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

15. Re: Animating Skyrim Nov 11, 2011, 04:02 Jerykk

Uh, the UI in Oblivion was 100 times better than this. You could actually click on everything. What you can click on in Skyrim's UI seems completely inconsistent. It's really, really terrible. And there are no hotkeys for equipping stuff. You have to press Q to pause the game, then scroll through a long list of items. And you can't even select an item by just clicking on it. You have to scroll to it first, then click on it.

Ugh. Bethesda needs to release mod tools ASAP so modders can fix this shit.

Also, the game runs like ass for me. The only way to get 60 FPS is to use the lowest detail settings. I'm hoping this is just another case of crappy ATI drivers.

14. Re: Animating Skyrim Nov 11, 2011, 03:35 Kajetan

Cutter wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 02:08:
Yes, the UI is just horrible. I mean, really bad, even for Bethsoft.
The UI is better used with a pad or only the keyboard. Mouse support seems like an afterthought. The interface and menus are looking better than the clunky crap from Oblivion, but dont try using the mouse. Horrible!

13. Re: Animating Skyrim Nov 11, 2011, 02:08 Cutter

Yes, the UI is just horrible. I mean, really bad, even for Bethsoft.

Anyway, if anyone finds the manual on Steam please link it.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

12. Re: Animating Skyrim Nov 11, 2011, 01:45 Draugr

Paranoid Jack wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 00:11:
Just decrypted & installed the final parts of Skyrim. Started the game. A Bethesda's logo appears, then a Skyrim logo appears, then the game crashes to desktop.... looks like another rough start. I just pray to God it doesn't crash every couple minutes like Fallout did.

I haven't had this issue myself, someone suggested this on another site:

"Go to your Windows Control Panel -> hardware and sound -> click on sound -> rightclick on the speakers/soundcard etc. -> go to config, advanced and change one on the dropdown to 24bit, 48000Hz.
This will fix the crashing at menu, its the sounds thats bugged beyond shit its playable with the above done, higher quality makes it crash."

On an unrelated note, the UI for this game (PC) makes me wish I was dead IRL.

11. Re: Animating Skyrim Nov 11, 2011, 01:21 Yaogun

I highly recommend making the changes to your .ini and field of view settings per this thread:

[url=]http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615805-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/60954909[/url]

The default field of view is ridiculously small.

Enjoying it so far! Going Breton pure mage this time around.

10. Re: Animating Skyrim Nov 11, 2011, 00:14 Cutter

FINALLY decrypting. Had to exit Steam and relainch it to get it from Pre-load to Play. Anyway, sees ya all in a while! Have fun stormin' the castle...literally.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

9. Re: Animating Skyrim Nov 11, 2011, 00:11 Paranoid Jack

Just decrypted & installed the final parts of Skyrim. Started the game. A Bethesda's logo appears, then a Skyrim logo appears, then the game crashes to desktop.... looks like another rough start. I just pray to God it doesn't crash every couple minutes like Fallout did.  

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo