Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Skyrim Reviews

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is not scheduled for release until tomorrow, but reviews of Bethesda's RPG sequel are starting to roll in. There are reviews specifically for the Windows PC edition on GameSpy, GameSpot, IGN, and Rock, Paper, Shotgun; and there are console or platform-agnostic reviews on 1UP, AtomicGamer, Computer and Video Games, Destructoid, Edge Magazine, Eurogamer, GameTrailers, Gaming Nexus, Giant Bomb, IncGamers, Joystiq, Shacknews, Strategy Informer, VentureBeat, VideoGamer.com, and Worthplaying.

View
106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

106. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 11:00 siapnar

Lol dont let any anti-gaming activists see this thread, they'll try to put Batman an Eldaron in the loony bin  

I have projectile dysfunction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

105. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 10:39 xXBatmanXx

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 02:16:
I tried the game this morning for like 20 minutes. It looks alright!

First issue was with the menu, at first the one of character creation. What seems to be the case is that the menus are unresponsive to mouse clicks. But then not always! I know, weird right? It got me stuck in character creation. A grumpy morning grunt or 2 got it to work again but it felt overly weird. After that, I couldn't get the inventory to respond to clicks at all! I had to navigate through the uncomfortable maze by WSAD and E which worked as [Enter] which was fine.

The intro is pretty nice and dragons look... man... fucking pissed off! Exactly the way we guys want them to look -- very D&D'ish!

After a short while I jumped on my bike in a hurry to get to work. Then the craziest thing happened for real! I heard this deafening roar which I was certain echoed through the whole neighborhood! First reflex? I looked to the sky and expected a dragon to soar over the rooftops. It was my morning delusions at work, of course. When I turned the street I saw a big truck laying on its side, and I realized the roar was the cargohold scraping the street as it fell over and slowly lost momentum, pretty much like in those crazy action movies less over-the-top because the truck couldn't possibly have driven too hard. You can prolly see it on some Dutch news later this morning because it caused a rockus or whatever you call it.

Anyway.. I looked for the sky. Retard.. >.>

Skyrim's first 20 mins were good, btw!

That is awesome. Reminds me of when I was neck deep in just cause and just cause 2. I was driving down the highway when I went by a mini power station and thought "I should really blow all that up" without even skipping a beat. Priceless.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

104. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 07:35 Teddy

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 03:53:
Kastagir wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 03:29:
Bucky wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 02:02:
Kastagir wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 01:29:
Has anyone been able to rotate items in your inventory when using the mouse+keyboard? I can't seem to figure out how to do this on the PC. Is a controller actually required for this? That would be crazy.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's hold RMB and rotate. I'd jump back in to double-check, but then it'll be sunrise...

Right-click (hold or not) equips the item. I don't see a way to manipulate/rotate an item on a mouse/keyboard setup.

I take a wild guess and claim in wild bravado that you should click and hold MIDDLE MOUSEBUTTON! If I'm right, I'm awesome.

Heroically done, sir. Excellent work.

103. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 07:34 Teddy

MisterBenn wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 01:13:
Teddy wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 00:38:
Alt = run

Huh? Shift is toggle run, not Alt. It is strange that autorun is on by default and shift enables walk mode though. Have to hit Caps Lock while in a menu to get it the way it used to be. Also E and space are swapped from how they used to be...

Meh, used the wrong word I suppose. Alt is "Sprint" not "Run". The emergency, run even faster when you need to get away button. Yes shift is technically 'run/walk'. I'm thinking I may try and swap the two keys to see if that solves my problem (hopefully without creating more) but alas, work beckons so it won't be for a while.

102. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 03:53 Eldaron Imotholin

Kastagir wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 03:29:
Has anyone been able to rotate items in your inventory when using the mouse+keyboard? I can't seem to figure out how to do this on the PC. Is a controller actually required for this? That would be crazy.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's hold RMB and rotate. I'd jump back in to double-check, but then it'll be sunrise...

Right-click (hold or not) equips the item. I don't see a way to manipulate/rotate an item on a mouse/keyboard setup.

I take a wild guess and claim in wild bravado that you should click and hold MIDDLE MOUSEBUTTON! If I'm right, I'm awesome.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

101. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 03:29 Kastagir

100. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 03:14 Sepharo

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 02:16:
First issue was with the menu, at first the one of character creation. What seems to be the case is that the menus are unresponsive to mouse clicks. But then not always! I know, weird right? It got me stuck in character creation.

For only certain character features when you click on your face to rotate or move it around that issue will happen. An easy workaround is to click a new category on the top bar (brow, face, hair) and then go back to the one that got stuck, it will be still at the same setting from when you left the page.

99. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 02:16 Eldaron Imotholin

I tried the game this morning for like 20 minutes. It looks alright!

First issue was with the menu, at first the one of character creation. What seems to be the case is that the menus are unresponsive to mouse clicks. But then not always! I know, weird right? It got me stuck in character creation. A grumpy morning grunt or 2 got it to work again but it felt overly weird. After that, I couldn't get the inventory to respond to clicks at all! I had to navigate through the uncomfortable maze by WSAD and E which worked as [Enter] which was fine.

The intro is pretty nice and dragons look... man... fucking pissed off! Exactly the way we guys want them to look -- very D&D'ish!

After a short while I jumped on my bike in a hurry to get to work. Then the craziest thing happened for real! I heard this deafening roar which I was certain echoed through the whole neighborhood! First reflex? I looked to the sky and expected a dragon to soar over the rooftops. It was my morning delusions at work, of course. When I turned the street I saw a big truck laying on its side, and I realized the roar was the cargohold scraping the street as it fell over and slowly lost momentum, pretty much like in those crazy action movies less over-the-top because the truck couldn't possibly have driven too hard. You can prolly see it on some Dutch news later this morning because it caused a rockus or whatever you call it.

Anyway.. I looked for the sky. Retard.. >.>

Skyrim's first 20 mins were good, btw!

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

98. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 02:12 Creston

Bucky wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 00:15:
Thanks to Creston and RPS I'm now sitting here, attempting to will the game to decrypt faster. I still have absolutely what kind of build I'm going to start as.

Look on the bright side, man. You could be like me, still stuck at work at 1.15am (and having been here since 8am)...

Creston

97. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 02:02 Bucky

Having a blast so far. Almost no technical issues, and no problem with key strangeness. I loot all, and my viewpoint is fine. The only problem I've noticed is some weird framerate crashes when I hit the map (either going to or coming out of) that corrects itself after a few seconds. It's random, and not really a big deal--because I don't need directions.

While the UI isn't great, it's not horrible either. I'm willing to put up with it. Now I just need to start a new character, because it's clear that a High Elf Mage is not my preferred play style right now.

96. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 01:29 Kastagir

95. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 01:13 MisterBenn

Alt = run

Huh? Shift is toggle run, not Alt. It is strange that autorun is on by default and shift enables walk mode though. Have to hit Caps Lock while in a menu to get it the way it used to be. Also E and space are swapped from how they used to be...

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

94. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 00:58 Kastagir

Have to agree that the interface design, while understandably simple in its conception, is anything but intuitive, with no tutorials or explanation on how it is intended to be used. The combination of 'Take All' and 'POV change' being both bound to 'R' means that every time you loot a container, your POV changes. Idiotic.

This interface is clearly (I mean, 100%) designed for controllers, not mouse + keyboard. Very sad.

The game looks great, though. Hopefully, the UI is still salvageable through mods.

93. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 00:56 Sepharo

Also, worst idea for bound keys EVER. Alt = run, Tab = inventory. Sooooo... when you're in trouble and desperately trying to sprint away and use a health potion? Take a guess what happens. So either turn off alt-tab while in game, or rebind one of those keys.

Speaking of rebinding, for the time being do not rebind the change viewpoint key away from "F". For whatever silly reason, it stops you from being able to set favorite spells/weapons/items. (which coincidentally involves pressing "F")

Haha default config is alt for run?
That's ridiculous and so are key binding issues in any game. That shit is destined for mindless easy testing. "Does rebinding to 'A' work? Yes." ... repeat for a 100 or so keys. What's so hard about getting that right?

92. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 00:51 Stolk

Cannot bind numpad keys at all. This game is not playable for me. Developers are slowly driving me off the PC. Could be their goal...  

91. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 00:40 Dades

The whole thing of favorites and item slot binding is probably the worst interface design I've seen in a long time. I chalked it up to the consoles but people with 360 pads are complaining on the forums too.  

90. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 00:39 Teddy

eunichron wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 00:28:
Anyone actually able to play?

CTD at the menu.

Classic Bethesda.

[EDIT]
Apparently it's a sound issue. Had to change my soundcard to 24bit 48000Hz output, and now it's fine.

Interesting... maybe that will fix my speaker buzz during the dialog.

89. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 00:38 Teddy

Pretty damn enjoyable thus far. Obviously going to be hoping for a UI overhaul, because man... the shop interface is aggravating. Miss-click by a little bit and poof, back to chat, have to wait for the menu to open again, just frustrating and a silly waste of time to have a click anywhere but on the shop menu items instantly remove you from the shop.

Also, worst idea for bound keys EVER. Alt = run, Tab = inventory. Sooooo... when you're in trouble and desperately trying to sprint away and use a health potion? Take a guess what happens. So either turn off alt-tab while in game, or rebind one of those keys.

Speaking of rebinding, for the time being do not rebind the change viewpoint key away from "F". For whatever silly reason, it stops you from being able to set favorite spells/weapons/items. (which coincidentally involves pressing "F")

Other issue I had was that I was getting a buzzing from my speakers when using them which only happened when someone was talking, had to swap to headphones to get rid of it. Didn't bother to try and sort out what was causing it yet.

88. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 00:28 eunichron

Anyone actually able to play?

CTD at the menu.

Classic Bethesda.

[EDIT]
Apparently it's a sound issue. Had to change my soundcard to 24bit 48000Hz output, and now it's fine.

87. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 00:16 Stolk

It went from 35 percent to 100 percent in a matter of seconds.  

106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo