Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

In spite of making an appointment almost a year in advance for my annual physical next week, a morning spot was not available, and I will be seeing the doctor in the early afternoon. Since one is supposed to fast before giving blood to be tested, I made a separate appointment to for a blood draw this morning so I wouldn't have to wait until the afternoon to eat. This makes me wonder why it isn't done this way always, as there's a good chance the doctor will have the results of my tests to discuss with me when I see him, which makes more sense than the rushed "everything seems okay" phone conversation we usually have following seeing him. I guess it's not as practical for most people to do that as for me, since the doctor is about five minutes away from here. Anyway, MrsBlue and I both went to give blood, and actually specified the nurse we wanted to see, which led to us catching a dirty look from the one we call "the butcher" we were seeking to avoid. I have a feeling the next time one of us is stuck with her, we're really going to be stuck.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Blosics 3.
Moverage Games.
Links: Syfy's 16 most awesomely bad horror movie titles.
Science: The Myth of the Frozen Jeans. Thanks Boing Boing.
Media: Here's proof that Star Wars should have been scored by AC/DC. Thanks nin.
Insane staring contest.
Garrett McNamara Sets Record: Surfer Rides 90 Foot Wave.
The Funnies: Brevity.
Funny Tweets.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2011, 11:36 nin

I have an accelerated metabolism

Christ, I would kill for that. I'm on a prescription for life that one of the side effects is slowing your metabolism...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2011, 11:26 xXBatmanXx

Sepharo wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 21:19:
Verno wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 12:03:
Re: fasting. Just wait until you have to start getting a colonoscopy every five years. Liquid only diet for 3 days and enough citro-mag to empty you out several times over, you'll never drop weight so quickly.

What why? I've got ulcerative colitis and have needed a few colonoscopies, never needed to liquid diet for 3 days... That's crazy.

Also I've never been able to drink that vile Fleet (Bisacodyl) so after much pleading they introduced me to some enormous pills that get the job done (rush water to your bowels) and that was all I needed.

Yeah yeah TMI or something.

I have an accelerated metabolism, and have had to get my innards xrayed more than 1x. I had to drink barium sulfate.....bastards would always give me a gallon of it to bring home and say "drink as much as you can every 30 minutes starting 2-3 hours before you come in". Well, I could never get it down and would end up throwing up within 2 seconds of drinking it.

Learned after the first time that you don't need to drink shit at home, as they have this really cool stuff at the doc that it like a shake/malt and tastes like (you get a choice) bananas, apples, or strawberries. The girls in there would always laugh because the doctors never give anyone that choice and they get all the horror stories of the stuff you take home. assholes.

Long story short. Makes your innards white for the xray to see if there is a problem - also makes your poop white. That is freaky.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2011, 11:22 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 11:42:
Since one is supposed to fast before giving blood to be tested

Never heard of that, but I can tell you from personal experience that's a great way to pass out.

That is normal. They want a true hit for what is in your blood. Lets say you had a super sugary bfast cereal - that would throw it all out of whack. They just want to eliminate anomalies.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2011, 21:19 Sepharo

Re: fasting. Just wait until you have to start getting a colonoscopy every five years. Liquid only diet for 3 days and enough citro-mag to empty you out several times over, you'll never drop weight so quickly.

What why? I've got ulcerative colitis and have needed a few colonoscopies, never needed to liquid diet for 3 days... That's crazy.

Also I've never been able to drink that vile Fleet (Bisacodyl) so after much pleading they introduced me to some enormous pills that get the job done (rush water to your bowels) and that was all I needed.

Yeah yeah TMI or something.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2011, 16:27 Cutter

Now that's a game title that has to be used...'The Myth of the Frozen Jesus'

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2011, 12:44 The Half Elf

Ratty wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 12:27:
For some reason I was sure that item said "The Myth of the Frozen Jesus." I had all kinds of scenarios in my head before I actually clicked the link. Very disappointing.

LOL the first thing that came to mind was the image of Jesus on a Eggo Waffle.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2011, 12:27 Ratty

For some reason I was sure that item said "The Myth of the Frozen Jesus." I had all kinds of scenarios in my head before I actually clicked the link. Very disappointing.  

6. Drawn Blood Nov 10, 2011, 12:20 Steelcamp

Sticking a needle into a persons vein is an art form/skill that only Nurses have. Do not let a doctor ever put a needle in you. They suck at it and your best Dr's will admit that. It is odd that you had to avoid a certain nurse due to her inability to do this right. I have only had one bad needle stick and that was from an anesthesiologist (the dr not the nurse) doing the IV and he totally missed the vein the first time.

Learned/Re-learned my lesson that day. Of course what made it worse that I had fasted the day before since I was having surgery. Ick.

-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2011, 12:11  Blue 

Awesome. Come for the anal violation. Stay for the starvation-induced weight loss.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2011, 12:03 Verno

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2011, 11:56 nin

I've been told I have low blood pressure, and the time it happened to me, I suspect I hadn't eaten enough. I was sitting in the chair, and began to see these little sparkly stars, and then I went blind. I could hear and talk to the person taking the blood, but I couldn't see anything. I told her and she got to help me walk over to a place I could lay down, and after about 10-15 minutes, my vision slowly returned.

Not something I want to repeat, hence I make sure I'm lying down first before any blood is taken.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2011, 11:53  Blue 

nin wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 11:42:

Never heard of that, but I can tell you from personal experience that's a great way to pass out.

Especially when my blood pressure is 104/60... I'm starting to worry I have hypotension. OTOH, they only draw an ounce or two of blood.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2011, 11:42 nin

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo