Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dead Rising 2 Demo on Gaikai

Capcom announces a demo for Dead Rising 2 is now available through the Gaikai cloud service. Here's the deal:

Great news for zombie lovers (or haters)!

As of today, we are launching Dead Rising 2 Gaikai. “What’s Gaikai?” you ask? It’s Capcom’s next step in our foray into the wonderful world of digital distribution. With Gaikai, you’ll be able to instantly try out Dead Rising 2, right in your web browser. Consider it a cool new way of demoing games.

This is a new venture for Capcom, so we’re seeking lots of user feedback. Let us know how the experience goes for you by commenting here or in the Dead Rising 2 Gaikai thread. If things go well, you’ll start seeing this kind of thing for more Capcom titles in the future.

Go here to play Dead Rising 2 in your browser right now.

Notes:

-Gaikai demo is limited to 30 minutes of play.
-You cannot save your gameplay during this time.
-You can skip in-game movies by pressing “ESC”.

Oh yeah! And don’t forget about Dead Rising 2 Off the Record, which is available in stores now (and super-fun).

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Dead Rising 2 Demo on Gaikai Nov 10, 2011, 14:42 PHJF

I'd love to know a) where you live and b) what you pay for the 45mbit connection you apparently have. We all don't have access to / can't afford $100-a-month FiOS.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Dead Rising 2 Demo on Gaikai Nov 10, 2011, 13:06 KilrathiAce

PHJF wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 11:47:

I rather try actual demo off something like steam, on which the game is also available. If I am gonna play a demo I rather play it in full quality same as the actual game I would buy. Not a demo in flash through browser, thanks.

The Crysis 2 demo is 1.6GB. With Gaikai I was playing the game about thirty seconds after clicking "play game".

Yes, a lot of people are fine playing watered down lower quality just to see the gameplay itself, I prefer playing the actual real full quality product if I think at all of buying a game. Oh and 1.6GB takes me about 5 minutes to download.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

16. Re: Dead Rising 2 Demo on Gaikai Nov 10, 2011, 11:47 PHJF

I rather try actual demo off something like steam, on which the game is also available. If I am gonna play a demo I rather play it in full quality same as the actual game I would buy. Not a demo in flash through browser, thanks.

The Crysis 2 demo is 1.6GB. With Gaikai I was playing the game about thirty seconds after clicking "play game".

15. Re: Dead Rising 2 Demo on Gaikai Nov 10, 2011, 10:38 Beamer

KilrathiAce wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 04:41:

But that requires a lot of work and a lot of risk on the part of the developer, so they won't very willingly put demos up. They're just not worth the effort and the risk anymore.

With Gaikai, that risk is gone and that work disappears. The developer just hands the game to Gaikai and they run with it. So there's no reason [i]not[/i] to do a demo.

There is no option for "a demo off of steam" in most cases. So you can either have "a small handful of demos on steam" or "a demo for more or less every game on Gaikai." Which would you prefer?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Dead Rising 2 Demo on Gaikai Nov 10, 2011, 09:07 Enahs

Well, the other problem with limiting it to demos will not allow the end user to evaluate how well (if at all) it will run on their own system.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

13. Re: Dead Rising 2 Demo on Gaikai Nov 10, 2011, 06:41 Allicorn

FWIW, if you can use Gaikai you have gaping browser vulnerabilities. Sadly, having Java enabled in browser is insanely dangerous these days.  

12. Re: Dead Rising 2 Demo on Gaikai Nov 10, 2011, 04:41 KilrathiAce

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

11. Re: Dead Rising 2 Demo on Gaikai Nov 9, 2011, 23:28 PHJF

I just gave Crysis 2 a whirl figuring that'd be the harshest test of the service they had, and it worked out pretty well. Picture is grainy (it looked like I was playing Killzone 2), the input lag was very noticeable, but other than that... it worked without a hitch. Certain games (IE not shooters) would work perfectly fine under this system, and it's certainly a step above your average flash game.  

10. Re: Dead Rising 2 Demo on Gaikai Nov 9, 2011, 23:14 StingingVelvet

Dev wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 21:42:
But is it a good way to offer a demo?

I think so, yeah. I have no issues with it.

9. Re: Dead Rising 2 Demo on Gaikai Nov 9, 2011, 22:55 Cutter

This service doesn't work for me. 5mbps dsl, but they say they're only getting about 3.5mbps from me and apparently that just isn't good enough.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Dead Rising 2 Demo on Gaikai Nov 9, 2011, 22:12 Dev

Sepharo wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 21:49:
Isn't that already what Gaikai is all about? This isn't about OnLive which is just a stupid business model (buying full priced games that don't run on your machine).
My bad, I thought they were all the same, or forgot if I knew otherwise. I just don't have much interest in playing games that way.

7. Re: Dead Rising 2 Demo on Gaikai Nov 9, 2011, 21:49 Sepharo

Dev wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 21:42:
StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 20:39:
Tried this for the heck of it despite owning DR2. It was a much improved experience from the last time I tried it, when they just started. That said it's still no way to play a game, IMO.

But is it a good way to offer a demo? It might give people a chance to try the full game out a bit, and maybe they will buy it through normal channels.

In fact, think about it. Don't even have to download a game to demo it. No downloading 10gigs of a demo that you dislike, just bang, jump into it and try it.

Maybe this kinda service will come into its own with demos rather than full games?

Isn't that already what Gaikai is all about? This isn't about OnLive which is just a stupid business model (buying full priced games that don't run on your machine).

6. Re: Dead Rising 2 Demo on Gaikai Nov 9, 2011, 21:42 Dev

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 20:39:
Tried this for the heck of it despite owning DR2. It was a much improved experience from the last time I tried it, when they just started. That said it's still no way to play a game, IMO.

But is it a good way to offer a demo? It might give people a chance to try the full game out a bit, and maybe they will buy it through normal channels.

In fact, think about it. Don't even have to download a game to demo it. No downloading 10gigs of a demo that you dislike, just bang, jump into it and try it.

Maybe this kinda service will come into its own with demos rather than full games?

5. Re: Dead Rising 2 Demo on Gaikai Nov 9, 2011, 21:39 Enahs

Yeah, I am shocked how well it worked. I tried out the Dead Space 2 demo.

It allows cheap ass netbook systems to run fairly modern games, in an odd sort of way.

You of course need to have a really good internet connection.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

4. Re: Dead Rising 2 Demo on Gaikai Nov 9, 2011, 21:39 Kitkoan

Beelzebud wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 21:09:
I decided to try this out, and went for Crysis 2. I am actually very impressed with how well it looked and played. It was not like running the game natively, but I can see how in time this type of tech could be cool. What surprised me the most was it wasn't nearly as laggy as I thought it would be.

How laggy is it in consideration to OnLive?

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

3. Re: Dead Rising 2 Demo on Gaikai Nov 9, 2011, 21:09 Beelzebud

I decided to try this out, and went for Crysis 2. I am actually very impressed with how well it looked and played. It was not like running the game natively, but I can see how in time this type of tech could be cool. What surprised me the most was it wasn't nearly as laggy as I thought it would be.  

2. Re: Dead Rising 2 Demo on Gaikai Nov 9, 2011, 21:01 Mark

I didn't try Dead Rising 2 (kept telling me I didn't have enough bandwidth) but I did just play through the Dead Space 2 demo. I don't know if they have servers in the UK, but my playthrough was just about lag free.  

1. Re: Dead Rising 2 Demo on Gaikai Nov 9, 2011, 20:39 StingingVelvet

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo