Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea

The Book of Unwritten Tales Website features a semi-recently released patch to update the retail boxed edition of this adventure game to version 1.03, noting that the digitally distributed editions of the game would update automatically. This forum post has the change list, and the download is mirrored on AtomicGamer and The Patches Scrolls. While writing this up, I came across a post in the game's forums about pirated versions of the game with an impassioned plea:

For a developer it is sad to see that only one day after the release of a game 50% of the web-site visitors come from warez and torrent sites. We know that we can't do anything about it technologically and we won't try, because we don't want to hurt honest buyers.

If you are somebody who thinks about downloading an illegal copy, please consider: We are not a big publisher or corporation. We are a small indie developer with less than a dozen employers. The Book of Unwritten Tales is our only product. We can't compensate losses with other game sales. So if you like the game, please buy it. It's the only way we could continue making games like that.

You can buy the game on our site. It is twice as long as many other adventure games (about 20 hours) and costs less than most. So please support a fair relationship between gamers and developers.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea Nov 10, 2011, 16:22 Overon

On metacritic the game has an 84% so far:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-book-of-unwritten-tales

That's good for an indie andventure game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea Nov 10, 2011, 12:46 LurkerLito

MRosenberg wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 11:00:
If anyone else also has problems with the shop, please contact us at support@kingart-games.com

Thanks in advance!

Oh, and the price of the game is $29.99.
The problem was on my end not at your store. It seems the noscript addon was blocking the proper link so when I clicked store it went to "undefined" instead of the actual web site. It worked after I enabled scripts from outside your domain name and other browsers I used.

19. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea Nov 10, 2011, 11:18 Creston

For those who are curious about this, check out the awesome review/opinion on RPS:

Clicky!

Creston

18. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea Nov 10, 2011, 11:00 MRosenberg

@LurkerLito: Hi! I work at KING Art Games. Thank you for pointing out your problem with our store. It works fine from our computers, so we need some more info about your setup. What country are you from and which browser do you use? That information could help us to find and solve problems with the store.
If anyone else also has problems with the shop, please contact us at support@kingart-games.com

Thanks in advance!

Oh, and the price of the game is $29.99.

17. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea Nov 10, 2011, 10:32 Darks

Verno wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 09:13:
Rattlehead wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 22:25:
Another reason that I'm glad I switched out of the gaming industry. Why bother working hard when more than half the people are gonna steal your shit.

And you guys wonder why developers shun PC gaming.

Yeah because PC gaming is the only industry affected by piracy, obviously Rolleyes

LOL, agreed. I love how when it comes to pirating and games the PC seems to be the only scape goat.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

16. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea Nov 10, 2011, 10:29 LurkerLito

Yeah they definitely got a lot of publicity. Though this is literally the first time I have even heard of this game. I see a demo linked on their website, but I couldn't find a price for the game. I clicked store and was greeted by a 404 error. They really need to fix this ASAP now that they got some publicity. Steam should be also one of their top priorities also.

It looks like a really nice point and click adventure game though. I don't know if I'd buy it any time soon though since I still have so many point and click adventure games that I haven't even finished yet in my backlog.

15. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea Nov 10, 2011, 09:13 Verno

Another reason that I'm glad I switched out of the gaming industry. Why bother working hard when more than half the people are gonna steal your shit.

Yeah because PC gaming is the only industry affected by piracy, obviously Rolleyes

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

14. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea Nov 10, 2011, 06:31 eRe4s3r

Rockstar is simply trolling us. That company hasn't got a shred of good-will left. If they wanted RDR would come to PC, instead we get LA NOIR.....  

13. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea Nov 10, 2011, 04:14 Dev

Draugr wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 00:39:
Developers don't shun PC gaming.
If releasing PC versions of a game wasn't profitable then publishers wouldn't bother, They are businesses not charities.
Some do, and release things on consoles only.

Or there's things like rockstar with RDR, they've ported most titles, why not that one?
Prez wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 23:44:
Developers who shun PC gaming do it because there's more money on consoles.
Or at least they THINK there is. Take dungeon defenders, they said 250k sales total with 200k on PC. Probably was a surprise to them that they had 4 times more sales on PC.

12. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea Nov 10, 2011, 03:08 WarpCrow

TheDrifter73 wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 00:48:
I seriously hope you're not suggesting they would pirate an indie game because they plan to actually spend money on a triple A title.
Most people I know who pirate games wouldn't drop a dime on a game no matter what it was, indie or AAA, so I find the idea that a pirate would want to pay for a AAA game to be a little laughable.
That's not to say all wouldn't, just most.

I'm just speaking from my own experience as a pirate and that of many of my friends. I don't do it as much as I used to, but it's how I was when I did. I bought the games I could afford on my budget, my favorites, the one I thought most deserving of support, but they weren't the only ones I played. I've read research recently that supports the position that most pirates actually spend more on media than those who don't pirate (which would have been true for me), but I haven't looked at it in detail.

11. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea Nov 10, 2011, 00:48 .Drifter

WarpCrow wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 23:13:
Prez wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 20:32:
Not sure it's a game I'd like enough to spend 30 bucks on but I wish them the best.

This is the problem. The people pirating this would not otherwise buy it at this price point. Why would I buy a low-budget game for 30 bucks when there are so many AAA titles coming out right around now? Arkham City, Skyrim, BF3, MW3, Saints Row 3, L.A. Noire on PC, the new Anno, those are just the big names that came out or are coming out this month, not even starting on the list coming out in December. SWTOR, AC: Revelations, etc. and some mix of these is much higher priority on most peoples' lists. How much money do they think people have?

I'm not justifying piracy, but to think these people are 1 to 1 lost sales is not just improbable, it's laughable.

I seriously hope you're not suggesting they would pirate an indie game because they plan to actually spend money on a triple A title.
Most people I know who pirate games wouldn't drop a dime on a game no matter what it was, indie or AAA, so I find the idea that a pirate would want to pay for a AAA game to be a little laughable.
That's not to say all wouldn't, just most.

10. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea Nov 10, 2011, 00:39 Draugr

Developers don't shun PC gaming.
If releasing PC versions of a game wasn't profitable then publishers wouldn't bother, They are businesses not charities.

As was said earlier consoles sale the most so thats why they lead development, usually.

9. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea Nov 9, 2011, 23:44 Prez

Developers who shun PC gaming do it because there's more money on consoles. In the case of this game, from what little I can glean about it, it isn't something that would really get green-lit on consoles in my opinion.

Look at it this way; 50% of people who play the game paid for it when they didn't have to. The other half are simply potential customers, so this appeal is the right way to handle this.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2011, 23:56.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea Nov 9, 2011, 23:13 WarpCrow

Prez wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 20:32:
Not sure it's a game I'd like enough to spend 30 bucks on but I wish them the best.

This is the problem. The people pirating this would not otherwise buy it at this price point. Why would I buy a low-budget game for 30 bucks when there are so many AAA titles coming out right around now? Arkham City, Skyrim, BF3, MW3, Saints Row 3, L.A. Noire on PC, the new Anno, those are just the big names that came out or are coming out this month, not even starting on the list coming out in December. SWTOR, AC: Revelations, etc. and some mix of these is much higher priority on most peoples' lists. How much money do they think people have?

I'm not justifying piracy, but to think these people are 1 to 1 lost sales is not just improbable, it's laughable.

7. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea Nov 9, 2011, 22:25 Rattlehead

6. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea Nov 9, 2011, 21:04 LittleMe

Looks like they got a lot of free publicity to me.  

Perpetual debt is slavery.

5. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea Nov 9, 2011, 20:38 eRe4s3r

Ouch.. the upside is that because of this news i jsut bought the vieh chroniken.. gotta support the rare gems of PaC's (point and click..)  

4. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea Nov 9, 2011, 20:35 eRe4s3r

Well from what i remember its pretty damn hilarious.. the game that is, and the dialog ;p  

3. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea Nov 9, 2011, 20:32 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea Nov 9, 2011, 20:32 Sho

I remember vaguely reading about the problems they had in finding a publisher for the English-language version; iirc they got screwed over pretty badly once or twice. That accounts for the long delay.  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo