Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records

There's more from yesterday's Activision post-earnings conference call on PC Gamer, where they relay CEO Eric Hirshberg's comments about Call of Duty sales figures. Word is: "Pre-orders for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 outpaced pre-orders for Call of Duty: Black Ops by a wide margin, setting a new industry record in making it the most pre-ordered game of all time." This lead to the military shooter sequel driving "the largest day one shipments in our history and in the industry’s history." Activision also reveals that they've sold 20 million expansion packs for Black Ops, leading Hirshberg to state: "The revenues generated from map packs alone would make it the third largest console title of the year."

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records Nov 10, 2011, 04:28 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 04:10:
I just find it depressing that 20+ million people are willing to buy the same shallow, uninspired game every year while genuinely interesting and ambitious games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution only sell a tenth of that.
Its 20 million who buy the overpriced rehashed map packs. Did they say the sales for the game overall?

I just checked wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Duty:_Black_Ops
As of August they reported 25 million sales on the game.

Jeez thats a HUGE percentage buying the map packs. Wait, they released 4 pack maps... so its maybe 5 million per pack, but still. Thats a pretty high percentage buying the DLCs. And with them selling the map packs for $15 each... if someone bought them all thats ANOTHER $60 on the game. And that extra cash took very little resources to develop, last I looked the 4 maps in a pack were 2 newish and 2 old maps. No need retail package them so they take a much bigger cut of the proceeds. I wonder if the map packs end up giving them as much money than the game itself.
JayDeath wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 13:41:
There was a news story on CNN saying that Activision is predicting $700 million in sales in a 5 day period. That's unreal! Hey mom, look at all the sheeple!
Well they reported $1 billion in sales in 6 weeks on black ops. So yeah that $700 mil figure about a faster selling game is quite possible.
Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 14:08:
So when does Activision take COD to a 6 month cycle, seems they can do no wrong with thier fan base.
If they do that, they can't sell as many map packs. When you sell almost as many map packs as your base game, and make a much higher profit percentage on them for something that takes a small fraction of the resources to make... it would be silly to shorten the cycle too much.

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 2011, 04:37.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records Nov 10, 2011, 04:10 Jerykk

Activision cater to what many gamers obviously want, and people cry foul?

I just find it depressing that 20+ million people are willing to buy the same shallow, uninspired game every year while genuinely interesting and ambitious games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution only sell a tenth of that.

I can't really blame Activision for milking the cow. They exist to make money, after all. However, I can blame consumers for having such lousy taste.

35. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records Nov 9, 2011, 22:16 xXBatmanXx

Sempai wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 20:34:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 19:45:
I am sick of hearing you bashers on these forums. Gamers spoke loud and clear about what they like. What they like is polished FPS like BF3 and MW3.

We like MW3 the only reason you dont like it is becuase you get OWNED when you play it...

Shoot! I was afraid someday someone really, really smart like you would come to Blues and expose us all for the scrubs we are.

Ya got us!

Edit: May I get your Xbox Live gamer tag? Cause ur just awesome!

I know, notice how he never tells us his Steam or online tag? What a douche.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

34. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records Nov 9, 2011, 21:15 Ventura

Why would you even consider buying this pos in the first place?

I don't know, maybe because I did my homework. Wouldn't want to be accused of being a mindless fucking drone, after all.

The thought occurs that if people can't get enough of something, you continue to make money supplying it. Isn't that like, good business practice 101?

I don't get it, everyone else is out for as much money as they can get, nobody bats an eyelid. Activision cater to what many gamers obviously want, and people cry foul?

They're a business boys, just like all the others.

33. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records Nov 9, 2011, 20:34 Sempai

I am sick of hearing you bashers on these forums. Gamers spoke loud and clear about what they like. What they like is polished FPS like BF3 and MW3.

We like MW3 the only reason you dont like it is becuase you get OWNED when you play it...

Shoot! I was afraid someday someone really, really smart like you would come to Blues and expose us all for the scrubs we are.

Ya got us!

Edit: May I get your Xbox Live gamer tag? Cause ur just awesome!

32. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records Nov 9, 2011, 20:03 Teddy

Or because the graphics are atrocious in MP?

31. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records Nov 9, 2011, 19:45 [VG]Reagle

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

30. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records Nov 9, 2011, 19:38 Sempai

Why would you even consider buying this pos in the first place?

Sigh..Daddy Kotick is always right.
Gamers today are mindless fucking drones.

We deserve the $59.99 price hike, we deserve annual re-hashes and we deserve to be treated like retards, cause that's exactly what we are right now.

29. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records Nov 9, 2011, 17:39 Creston

I hate console players.

Creston

28. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records Nov 9, 2011, 17:26 Ventura

The sad sad state that is gaming.. BF3 at least does something new and unique.. MW3 doesn't even try.. just the same again and again and again and again. And it sells like drugs

Huh? From where I'm looking, the reverse of that is actually true.

The Battlefield guys made BF3 pretty much multiplayer only in light of it having probably the worst, most consolised single player campaign ever. A pity, granted, because that Frostbite 2 engine is the one to beat. How you can make an engine that great and still fuck up the campaign so badly though, I'll never know, but they managed to pull it off.

If people want to criticise MW3 because it uses the same old engine, fair enough, you can do that. It might still look fine compared to most other shooters, but if it makes you feel better, that's cool. But you can't really complain about it not being unique, innovative, or revolutionary when it's BF3 you're comparing it to.

27. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records Nov 9, 2011, 17:15 eunichron

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 11:09:
Suppression mechanic is unique.. as well as the use of GI Domes , and squad-wide perks

Not much, but still... also generally speaking, BF3 is a direct evolution of BF2 after dice noticed what an awesome game BC2 really was. And they DID evolve gameplay.. MW3 doesn't

Its exactly 1:1 the same as MW2 (different maps, unlocks, perks and weapons, 100% same game besides that)

Also, nothing ever beats sitting in a scout helicopter and hovering in front of a building and killing guys through windows as you slowly dismantle the entire floor... and finally a huge boom and the building crumbles.

How anyone can go back to COD after experiencing that is beyond me.

I hear you, and I definitely love BF3, and I have no intention of buying MW3 (unless maybe the 360 version goes on sale for $5)... but they're really just two different games with two separate audiences. BF3 is more of a strategic open area, team-based game... MW is just a run 'n' gun twitch shooter. It's like comparing Starsiege: Tribes to Quake 3.

26. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records Nov 9, 2011, 17:13 xXBatmanXx

Teddy wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 17:01:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 16:35:
WOW. Very underwhelming. The game doesn't look half as good as Black Ops. It is more like a MW 2.5, I like the setup of Black Ops a lot better. The environments are very pixelated and bland. Fire and smoke doesn't look as good. I have everything cranked - was a very bad purchase on my part....

Single player or multiplayer? I noted the huge difference in graphics quality from SP to MP in the game, SP I was surprised it looked as good as it did, some very nice lighting and decently detailed textures. Not on the same level as BF3, but not far behind. Then I saw the MP and went: wtf? It's like going through a graphical time-warp, backwards.

MP. It looks terrible. I honestly feel like I am playing COD4. I feel like I was duped. The SP looks decent, the MP looks like shit. Also the weapons don't really feel right and the hit boxes aren't as tight as Blops. Very disappointed.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

25. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records Nov 9, 2011, 17:01 Teddy

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 16:35:
WOW. Very underwhelming. The game doesn't look half as good as Black Ops. It is more like a MW 2.5, I like the setup of Black Ops a lot better. The environments are very pixelated and bland. Fire and smoke doesn't look as good. I have everything cranked - was a very bad purchase on my part....

Single player or multiplayer? I noted the huge difference in graphics quality from SP to MP in the game, SP I was surprised it looked as good as it did, some very nice lighting and decently detailed textures. Not on the same level as BF3, but not far behind. Then I saw the MP and went: wtf? It's like going through a graphical time-warp, backwards.

24. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records Nov 9, 2011, 16:45 Total-Khaos

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 11:09:
Suppression mechanic is unique.. as well as the use of GI Domes , and squad-wide perks

Not much, but still... also generally speaking, BF3 is a direct evolution of BF2 after dice noticed what an awesome game BC2 really was. And they DID evolve gameplay.. MW3 doesn't

Its exactly 1:1 the same as MW2 (different maps, unlocks, perks and weapons, 100% same game besides that)

Also, nothing ever beats sitting in a scout helicopter and hovering in front of a building and killing guys through windows as you slowly dismantle the entire floor... and finally a huge boom and the building crumbles.

How anyone can go back to COD after experiencing that is beyond me.

I completely agree. Destructible environments is half the fun in my opinion. The maps are essentially unique every time you play them as a result. Cover available to you a few minutes ago may not be there the next time you're in the area.

I suppose simplicity is what people really want. I think this is why games like Farmville and Angry Birds are so popular - they appeal to a wide array of gamers.

23. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records Nov 9, 2011, 16:35 xXBatmanXx

22. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records Nov 9, 2011, 15:59 Teddy

I notice he pointed out that pre-orders were a record, shipments were a record, and that map packs were a sort of record, but what's not said is just as interesting. There's no mention of a day 1 sales record. Does that mean then, that Black Ops out-sold MW3 day 1?

Perhaps they just don't have the numbers yet to make the statement one way or the other.

VGchartz is reporting 9.3 million first day sales. Not the most reliable source, but certainly an impressive number if it's true.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2011, 17:02.

21. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records Nov 9, 2011, 14:49 SpectralMeat

Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 14:08:
So when does Activision take COD to a 6 month cycle, seems they can do no wrong with thier fan base.

I don't think they will do that but the annual release schedule for this game is no different from the sports titles like Fifa or Madden. Those games sell millions of copies every year also.
CoD is the first FPS game that does the same as sports titles do and release a new version every year.

Judging by the sales figures it is working for them.

Steam: SpectralMeat

20. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records Nov 9, 2011, 14:35 xXBatmanXx

Finally getting a chance today to play. I will write a little something later.  

19. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records Nov 9, 2011, 14:09 Beamer

JayDeath wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 13:41:
There was a news story on CNN saying that Activision is predicting $700 million in sales in a 5 day period. That's unreal! Hey mom, look at all the sheeple!

"Those people don't think like me. They don't like what I like. They're sheeple!"

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records Nov 9, 2011, 14:08 Yosemite Sam

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo