Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Game-Life - Why Buying Games at Launch Is a Fool’s Errand.
But why pay for all this content now? There will come a time, most likely during the holiday season, when the publisher releases a version of the game that will come with all this DLC included in the package, and that whole mess will be likely be sold for less than the base game cost at launch. Imagine that! All you need is a little patience and you can get a much larger game, with much more content, for much less money. The more content has been announced, the higher the chances of all that for-pay stuff being collected for one last retail release so the publisher can squeeze the last bit of money from its game.

The rule is simple: The more DLC released for a title, the better the chances you’ll save money by waiting and buying the game when the entire thing is collected for retail. You can opt out of every stupid nickel-and-dime scheme just by waiting a few short months.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Op Ed Nov 10, 2011, 11:43 Beamer

wrlwnd wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 11:36:
Prez wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 18:51:
wrlwnd wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 16:01:

So your point is?

It's pretty obvious - You are cheap.

Which is fine. Whatever floats your boat.

And exactly what am I missing out on by not spending like you?

Holding something to your standard is fine, but being judgmental about it is odd.

Deus Ex HR took me 12 hours to beat. It cost me $40.
It was one of the best $40 I've spent all year.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Op Ed Nov 10, 2011, 11:36 wrlwnd

Prez wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 18:51:

So your point is?

And exactly what am I missing out on by not spending like you?

39. Re: Op Ed Nov 9, 2011, 18:51 Prez

So your point is?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

38. Re: Op Ed Nov 9, 2011, 16:01 wrlwnd

Beamer wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 15:42:
wrlwnd wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 15:36:
Beamer wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 08:11:
wrlwnd wrote on Nov 8, 2011, 16:20:
PHJF wrote on Nov 8, 2011, 13:56:
Waiting 6 months to buy a game on the cheap is fine and all... unless the game is genuinely good (and worth MSRP), at which point you're just fucking over the developers. Nobody cares how many units a game has sold during its 6th month of release, least of all the suits paying the developers.

I didn't realize game developers were charity cases. I buy games based on entertainment value, not on charity.

My current break-even point on a game is $1 per hour for being entertained. So if I pay $30 for a game, I expect at least 30 hours of decent gameplay.

I think games like Skyrim match that value pretty easily right out of the gate, but with everything else I'm playing and the Elder Scrolls history of patches / good mods, it just makes sense to wait.

OTOH, Portal 2 didn't come close to matching that value at release. I still havent' bought it, but it's getting closer.

$1 per hour?
So you just play puzzle games? And watch free television rather than cable? And read encyclopedias?

I don't even get $1/hr from most books I buy, let alone something as complex and labor-intensive as a video game.

Then you're getting ripped off.

That are LOTS of good games that give you at least $1 / hour value. Some out of the gate, some within a few months.

It ain't that hard to find them. Off the top of my head games that have met that criteria include Dragon Age, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Alpha Protocol (got it for about $10), Far Cry 2 (got it for $5), Just Cause 2, Batman Arkham Asylum.

It ain't rocket science.

Again, so you never watch movies? Don't have cable? Don't eat at restaurants? Go to plays? Concerts? Read very slowly?

Or you hold your favorite hobby to an irrational standard you don't hold other things to?

I don't go out to movies. They're quite the rip off.

Instead I get Blu-Ray on Netflix for $10 per month. Two of us watch each disc at about $1.25 per disc. So that's about 32 cents per hour.

We have cable. For the number of hours the two of us watch it, I'd say that comes out at about 75 cents per hour.

If I buy a book for $7 to $10, I'm usually through it in about 20 hours of reading. So that's about 50 cents per hour.

So your point is?

37. Re: Op Ed Nov 9, 2011, 15:55 PHJF

I only use whores that charge $1 per hour.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

36. Re: Op Ed Nov 9, 2011, 15:42 Beamer

wrlwnd wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 15:36:
Waiting 6 months to buy a game on the cheap is fine and all... unless the game is genuinely good (and worth MSRP), at which point you're just fucking over the developers. Nobody cares how many units a game has sold during its 6th month of release, least of all the suits paying the developers.

I didn't realize game developers were charity cases. I buy games based on entertainment value, not on charity.

My current break-even point on a game is $1 per hour for being entertained. So if I pay $30 for a game, I expect at least 30 hours of decent gameplay.

I think games like Skyrim match that value pretty easily right out of the gate, but with everything else I'm playing and the Elder Scrolls history of patches / good mods, it just makes sense to wait.

OTOH, Portal 2 didn't come close to matching that value at release. I still havent' bought it, but it's getting closer.

$1 per hour?
So you just play puzzle games? And watch free television rather than cable? And read encyclopedias?

I don't even get $1/hr from most books I buy, let alone something as complex and labor-intensive as a video game.

That are LOTS of good games that give you at least $1 / hour value. Some out of the gate, some within a few months.

It ain't that hard to find them. Off the top of my head games that have met that criteria include Dragon Age, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Alpha Protocol (got it for about $10), Far Cry 2 (got it for $5), Just Cause 2, Batman Arkham Asylum.

It ain't rocket science.

Again, so you never watch movies? Don't have cable? Don't eat at restaurants? Go to plays? Concerts? Read very slowly?

Or you hold your favorite hobby to an irrational standard you don't hold other things to?

-------------

35. Re: Op Ed Nov 9, 2011, 15:36 wrlwnd

$1 per hour?

It ain't rocket science.

34. Re: Op Ed Nov 9, 2011, 08:11 Beamer

$1 per hour?

-------------

33. Re: Op Ed Nov 9, 2011, 08:00 Ant

PHJF wrote on Nov 8, 2011, 11:53:
You shouldn't buy games at release not because of DLC but because every fucking game is released as a beta now.

Am I the only one who still completely ignores DLC across the board?
Ditto! Same for everything else beside games like hardwares.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

32. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2011, 20:29 Prez

For me it's not a charity aspect, the only motivation is a selfish one: I want more games that I will like. If I really like a game I'll buy it at full price as a vote for more.

Exactly. I'm especially prone to buying the indie games that excite me at full price and buying the DLC because they are the ones who need every extra penny to stay afloat and go on to make even bigger better games that will excite me even more. I gobble up every bit of DLC for Sanctum, AI WAR, Gratuitous Space Battles, and Orcs Must Die as they are released for example. I do it for games from bigger, more established studios that I can't get enough of and can't wait for GoTY editions as well as in the case of the Total War series (Shogun ROCKS!!), Fallout 3 & New Vegas, Borderlands, and Mass Effect 2, to name a few.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

31. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2011, 20:20 Sepharo

For me it's not a charity aspect, the only motivation is a selfish one: I want more games that I will like. If I really like a game I'll buy it at full price as a vote for more.

That's also the reason I won't be buying Skyrim on launch like I did with Oblivion, fuck that still pisses me off. If it's more of the boring and scaling again I'm not voting for more.

30. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2011, 19:13 MisterBenn

As a rule I don't do day 1 purchasing any more. I did until the early 00's but nowadays I find that standards have droppped... reviews always had an overlap with marketing but it's terrible these days. Also digital distribution and ease of patching mean that more games are less finished upon release nowadays so it makes sense to wait.

More reasons to wait: Steam sales, mods and patches, also on average you will have better hardware to run the game in question a year later.

Anyhow, despite all those things I preordered Skyrim already. I can justify the early cash as an exception for the Elder Scrolls as it's my favourite gaming series. I'm realistic too about the state the game will be in and I don't believe it heavily gets in the way of what makes the series good. With Oblivion I rebuilt a new modded installation every 18 months or so with the best stuff around, I am happy to start that process early with Skyrim!

This trailer was probably my favourite so far - more substance than just dragon slaying and it piqued my curiosity about what they've put into the world...

Edit: I keep being told the URL is too long and can't post it - it's Rock Paper Shotgun's "A new Skyrim trailer to pass the time" from yesterday. Don't think it's linked here on Blues yet.

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 2011, 19:19.

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

29. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2011, 19:06 Veterator

Im about 2 years behind on average. It's a mixture of lack of funds, computer upgrades needed, disappoint from past launch purchases, reviews being worthless until 3 months after the launch of most games, generally just not being as forgiving as I used to be for problems and my friends giving up games entirely or moving away from PC.

Lack of funds - applies to both cost of upgrades needed and the cost of games on launch. If I can wait even 6 months and get 3 times the games for the same cash, I'm going to do that.

Past launch purchases - I loved the battlefield series, but with each iteration I didn't play them as long as the one prior. Bought BFBC2 a year after launch and I was not happy with the game..think I played it about a week. So BF3 is getting the skip for at least a year, and maybe forever if they won't come off the Origin thing. MMOs, I am a big fan of the MMO idea but anymore most of them are disappointing copies of prior gameplay. You can't get legitimate reviews on an MMO for at LEAST 3 months.

Intolerance - If a developer keeps repeating problems over and over in their games.....I'd have to be an idiot to pay their launch price when I can wait and I won't have to deal with the headaches AND get the game at half price. And in a years time their game is almost never mentioned anymore? You know it sucked for whatever reason and shouldn't waste your time tracking it anymore.

Waiting has a whole lot of benefits, one of them being that you just simply forget the game existed in the first place and never waste the money on it. Usually it's forgotten because it sucked, and 3-4 years down the road when it's 5 bucks on Steam or free with another game...you can find out how much it sucked.

If it's still mentioned and you remember it, you get less bugs, more content at a much reduced price with reviews that have more meaningful points than the ones around the time of it's launch. So you don't go in all hyped up expecting more than it is, which developers and publishers love to do ...hype the ever loving shit out of games.

28. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2011, 18:35 yonder

Does *NO ONE* here enjoy the social aspect of a game? And I don't mean multiplayer.

The main reason I buy a game on launch day is because my friends are playing it and I enjoy talking to them about it. It's the *EXACT* same reason I choose to go to a theater to watch a movie instead of waiting a few months until its out on DVD and Netflix (tho Netflix isn't nearly as quick these days cuz the studios are realizing netflix is hurting DVD sales).

I can't stand when my friends are sitting around talking about a movie they've seen that I haven't (assuming I *WANT* to see it). With games, it's an *experience*, so that concept applies even more.

The fact that most of this conversation revolves around idiocy like bugs from a game that came out 5 years ago or DLC (seriously dude, you have NEVER bought DLC? /sigh) just seems to reinforce the stereotype of gamers being loners. Way to go guys.

So now that I'm done insulting you guys... let me ask, do *ANY* of you consider "I am looking forward to talking to my friends and exchanging experiences and stories with them" as part of the reason you don't want to wait a year to buy the GOTY edition?

Full disclosure: I don't do it often. Probably fewer than 5 movies and 5 games a year that this concept applies to. I buy most of my games on sale for a variety of reasons.

27. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2011, 16:58 PHJF

Awesome, if everybody were such a cheapass we wouldn't see games more than an hour long, or every game would be subscription-based.

I hate to break it to you but an hour playing Peggle isn't the same as an hour playing The Witcher.

26. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2011, 16:20 wrlwnd

25. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2011, 14:35 shponglefan

Steam has conditioned me to wait for their summer and winter/holiday sales. I just binge-buy during those and wind up with more than enough games for the following 6 months until the next sale.

Except for MP games, I don't really see the point of getting games @ launch anymore.

24. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2011, 14:11 Verno

Agreed, I don't bother waiting unless I lack the time or the deal just isn't good. On the other hand people shouldn't feel like they have to personally prop up the developers or something, the industry makes plenty of bank regardless. Unfortunately when they keep dumping this many releases back to back I end up in a backlog situation where I am going to be forced to start waiting.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

23. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2011, 13:56 PHJF

22. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2011, 13:12 Slashman

Beamer wrote on Nov 8, 2011, 13:04:
wrlwnd wrote on Nov 8, 2011, 12:51:

It's called growing up.

What do you call making statements like that?

Pointing out that people should grow up? Smartass

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo