Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Skyrim DLC Will Be "More Substantial"

After speaking with Bethesda's Todd Howard, Wired.com reports that DLC for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will "bigger and more substantial," in the vein of Fallout 3, rather than say, well, horse armor. "Very quick DLC might sell well, but that’s not our priority,” he told them. "We’re not going to be doing a lot of it. Our high-level thinking is that there’ll be not as many [pieces of DLC], but they’ll be bigger and more substantial,” he said. “The goal overall is not necessarily to put out more content, but to make the game better."

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Skyrim DLC Will Be Nov 8, 2011, 14:21 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Nov 8, 2011, 09:43:
Right, obviously. But that does indicate a pretty major design flaw, if your DLC is only enjoyable for lower level characters, and becomes mind-numbingly boring for higher levels. Especially since OWB recommends that you're level 25 (IIRC) to start with.

I agree it's a flaw, I am just saying there is a way around it. And I actually think they advised level 15. I did it at level 20 and thought it was pretty well balanced.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Skyrim DLC Will Be Nov 8, 2011, 14:20 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Nov 8, 2011, 04:42:
Point Lookout and The Pitt had some great ideas and I loved the settings, but the actual writing of the characters and storylines was pretty lackluster. Bethesda just can't seem to write well. I kinda wish they'd merge with Obsidian and just have Chris Avellone and crew handle all the writing.

I thought Point Lookout and The Pitt were better written than the main game. Not up to New Vegas standards by ANY means, but better than the main game. And Point Lookout really captured the weird side of Fallout that was missing from FO3 and New Vegas until Old World Blues came out.

Overall I agree with you though. Hoping Skyrim shows some better writing, since they supposedly hired some new writers.

29. Re: Skyrim DLC Will Be Nov 8, 2011, 12:16 Creston

InBlack wrote on Nov 8, 2011, 10:09:
Whatever happened to expansion packs? I kind of preferred those to DLC....

I think DLC is catching up to expansion packs, to be honest. Good DLCs offer new areas, new storylines, new weapons, new enemies; what did expansion packs deliver that DLC doesn't?

Typically an expansion pack is longer (but even that wasn't always the case. Not every expansion pack was Throne of Bhaal quality) but then again DLCs are about half the price.

Content-wise, Old World Blues is fantastic. It's an expansion pack sold for DLC price.

Creston

28. Re: Skyrim DLC Will Be Nov 8, 2011, 11:34 Kastagir

InBlack wrote on Nov 8, 2011, 10:09:

These days, expansion-like content can be delivered just like DLC. It's far easier for the developer/publisher. All it takes is the will to devote the time and effort to a more substantial offering. It wouldn't be surprising if Bethesda were to do this.

27. Re: Skyrim DLC Will Be Nov 8, 2011, 10:09 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

26. Re: Skyrim DLC Will Be Nov 8, 2011, 10:04 Halo

Dragon Armor.  

25. Re: Skyrim DLC Will Be Nov 8, 2011, 09:43 Creston

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 23:47:
Creston wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 23:16:
Yeah, because New Vegas' DLC was so incredibly brilliant. Nothing like fighting dozens upon dozens upon dozens upon dozens of 800+ HP roboscorpions.

If you do the DLC at a lower level it's not like that at all. You can cap yourself at 30 with a trait, or you can just use lower level characters.

Right, obviously. But that does indicate a pretty major design flaw, if your DLC is only enjoyable for lower level characters, and becomes mind-numbingly boring for higher levels. Especially since OWB recommends that you're level 25 (IIRC) to start with.

And I did switch the diff to "easy" for OWB, and even then they still had the same amount of hp, they just did even less damage.

That was kind of even the whole point about it. If these creatures were major threats, then at least you'd have to think before engaging them. Snipe them from range, set mines, use explosives, etc. But they weren't. I'd have three of them attacking me, and my health (which was low because I played with Project Nevada) never really went beneath 40-50% or so. And that was with hardcore, so I couldn't insta-heal.

I played it for awhile by just console killing every roboscorpion I came across, but that gets boring too.

Creston

24. Re: Skyrim DLC Will Be Nov 8, 2011, 09:30 descender

WOOOOOSH. Right over your snark-filled head.  

23. Re: Skyrim DLC Will Be Nov 8, 2011, 07:44 Dev

Tanto Edge wrote on Nov 8, 2011, 04:38:
I guess until Bethesda has their own license to print money (an mmo, a steam like service, etc) we can expect to support them through DLC and expansions.
You mean like blizzard has an mmo and has stopped selling mounts? Or like valve has steam and stopped selling hats?

Oh wait.

22. Re: Skyrim DLC Will Be Nov 8, 2011, 04:42 Jerykk

Point Lookout, The Pitt and Old World Blues are some of the best Fallout content made in the last decade, DLC or not.

Point Lookout and The Pitt had some great ideas and I loved the settings, but the actual writing of the characters and storylines was pretty lackluster. Bethesda just can't seem to write well. I kinda wish they'd merge with Obsidian and just have Chris Avellone and crew handle all the writing.

21. Re: Skyrim DLC Will Be "More Substantial" Nov 8, 2011, 04:38 Tanto Edge

I guess until Bethesda has their own license to print money (an mmo, a steam like service, etc) we can expect to support them through DLC and expansions.

There's merit in both camps insofar as DLC value is concerned.
I liked the way Rockstar managed the DLC for Red Dead Redemption.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

20. Re: Skyrim DLC Will Be Nov 8, 2011, 03:26 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Nov 8, 2011, 01:18:
I thought Knights of the Nine was pretty underwhelming. I thought the Shivering Isles approach was the best.

Shivering Isles was of course better. It wasn't DLC though, it was a real expansion. Do I prefer real expansions? Of course I do. Does that mean I dislike all DLC on some sort of generality principle? No, that would be silly. Point Lookout, The Pitt and Old World Blues are some of the best Fallout content made in the last decade, DLC or not.

Knights of the Nine was pretty boring, sure. Oblivion was pretty boring, honestly. As far as size, scope and price though it set the precedent.

19. Re: Skyrim DLC Will Be Nov 8, 2011, 02:59 Pineapple Ferguson

Kajetan wrote on Nov 8, 2011, 01:54:
More substantial?

May that be or not, i'll wait for the All-In-One GotY edition. Patience IS a virtue!

Exactly. I don't want to be part of the public beta or get strung along on piecemeal DLC. I'll take GOTY for 50% off please. I don't mind waiting.

18. Re: Skyrim DLC Will Be "More Substantial" Nov 8, 2011, 01:54 Kajetan

More substantial?

May that be or not, i'll wait for the All-In-One GotY edition. Patience IS a virtue!

17. Re: Skyrim DLC Will Be Nov 8, 2011, 01:42 Lord Tea

Kastagir wrote on Nov 8, 2011, 01:19:

You think expansions should be free? What planet are you from?

If their purpose is to make the game better - yes it should be free, because we're dealing with an update, not an expansion.
If their purpose is to add content - no.

UPSA = United Police States of America

16. Re: Skyrim DLC Will Be Nov 8, 2011, 01:19 Kastagir

Lord Tea wrote on Nov 8, 2011, 00:30:
Kastagir wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 23:32:
“The goal overall is not necessarily to put out more content, but to make the game better."

How it should be.

oh, really? Back in the days this was called (free) "update". So, no, how it should not be. Since DLCs are not free they should come with more content and, only if necessary, fix bugs. THAT's how it should be.

You think expansions should be free? What planet are you from?

15. Re: Skyrim DLC Will Be Nov 8, 2011, 01:18 Jerykk

As for the comment you replied to, basing all DLC reaction on fucking horse armor is silly. They were testing the waters with Oblivion and decided the Knights of the Nine style content was the best, and I agree. DLC for Fallout 3 and New Vegas was all substantial.

I thought Knights of the Nine was pretty underwhelming. I thought the Shivering Isles approach was the best.

14. Re: Skyrim DLC Will Be Nov 8, 2011, 00:56 StingingVelvet

Lord Tea wrote on Nov 8, 2011, 00:30:
oh, really? Back in the days this was called (free) "update". So, no, how it should not be. Since DLCs are not free they should come with more content and, only if necessary, fix bugs. THAT's how it should be.

When the fuck did we ever get stuff like Knights of the Nine, Point Lookout or Old World Blues for free? Please tell me, because despite buying PC RPGs for 20 years I missed out on all that.

13. Re: Skyrim DLC Will Be Nov 8, 2011, 00:50 Sepharo

These comments are pretty unimaginative in terms of DLC value.

Bethesda could be selling Pegasi for $25 a piece.

12. Re: Skyrim DLC Will Be Nov 8, 2011, 00:30 Lord Tea

Kastagir wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 23:32:
“The goal overall is not necessarily to put out more content, but to make the game better."

How it should be.

UPSA = United Police States of America

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo