Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PETA Germany Raps BF3

PETA Germany has issued a statement (in German) decrying the ability to kill animals in Battlefield 3, specifying an incident where the player stabs a rat with a combat knife. They mention the (according to our translation) "brutalizing" effect this can have on the game's "young male target audience" (Battlefield 3 is rating USK 18 in Germany), and note that cruelty to animals has been shown to lead to violence toward people. It seems this ignores that the game itself is centered around violence toward other people. Thanks James via BF3Blog.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

22. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 17:39 Silicon Avatar

I wish PETA would go away so that some other organization that actually does care about animals could have some press.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 17:29 Halo

Any donations to start a relief fund against the cruelty to rats in video games by adult males or S.C.A.M Safely Calming Adult Males. can paypal me a generous amount. I assure you this will go to research and public awareness.  

20. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 17:27 ASeven

Ever since I learned PETA is run like a cult I didn't lose respect for them since I never had any respect for these asshats.  

19. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 17:15 Beamer

Bhruic wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 17:12:
A bit more annoying as PETA claims to have a real purpose

Well, it does (did?) have a real purpose. But it's one of those cases of "our purpose is done, now what do we do?". It's kinda like MADD, they got what they were after, but didn't want to let go of the spotlight/publicity, so kept going after more and more silly things.

I disagree about MADD, and PETA never had a real purpose. It was always about itself, not about the animals.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 17:12 Bhruic

A bit more annoying as PETA claims to have a real purpose

Well, it does (did?) have a real purpose. But it's one of those cases of "our purpose is done, now what do we do?". It's kinda like MADD, they got what they were after, but didn't want to let go of the spotlight/publicity, so kept going after more and more silly things.

17. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 17:00 Beamer

Gadzooks wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 16:58:
Ive got pet rats, love them. The rat scene in the game didnt bother me one bit.

Why?

Because its not real. Seems like PETA is the only one that cant seem to make that distinction. Perhaps they should all see shrinks.

PETA doesn't care about real. They care about headlines that draw them attention, because attention draws them funding.

Complaining about PETA doing something absurd is like complaining about a reality TV star doing something absurd. A bit more annoying as PETA claims to have a real purpose, but in the end it's no different than Lindsay Lohan or Paris Hilton. All it wants is attention, regardless of what's needed to earn it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 16:58 Gadzooks

Ive got pet rats, love them. The rat scene in the game didnt bother me one bit.

Why?

Because its not real. Seems like PETA is the only one that cant seem to make that distinction. Perhaps they should all see shrinks.

15. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 16:58 Fion

'Brutalizing' effect on this can have on the game's "Young male target audience."

Their audience is the average gamer.. ADULTS that average mid 30's in age. These people should really do a little research before revealing their stupidity.

14. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 16:28 Joss

WyldKat wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 16:05:
If they're up in arms over a rat kill in BF3 they're REALLY not gonna like Skyrim.
Save the dragons! Oh wait.

13. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 16:11 Fazor

Well, I'm just happy to know that PETA is bat-shit crazy across the globe. Now, if I ever need something positive to say about them, I can at least say "Well, they're consistent."

12. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 16:05 WyldKat

If they're up in arms over a rat kill in BF3 they're REALLY not gonna like Skyrim.

You know what we should do? In Skyrim we kill deers, wolves, bears, etc in the weirdest and most creative ways and email the videos/screenshots to PETA's headquarters.

11. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 15:59 Mashiki Amiketo

Bludd wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 15:55:
In parts of Asia, both are eaten.
Meh. It's eaten in more than just asia. Same with horse and cat. Horse I've had on more than one occasion here in Canada. I do have a preference for emu, and their eggs are pretty good too.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

10. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 15:55 Bludd

Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 15:46:
I'm a PETA member. People for Eating Tasty Animals.

Heh, the other day I saw a "Go Vegan" ad where they had a picture of a dog and a pig and the caption reads "Why love one animal and eat another?" And I'm thinking, 'Does someone really need to explain why this is the case, not just with people but other animals as well?' Hey bud, the universe is a violent place and something always has to die so that something else can live. Sucks, huh? Get a fucking helmet.

In parts of Asia, both are eaten.

9. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 15:55 theyarecomingforyou

If PETA gets this worked up about a virtual rat being killed then they should come petition my house, as I kill them with my air rifle. Here's a photo of one of my kills. CAUTION: Image contains rat brains  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

8. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 15:54 eRe4s3r

WoodroweBones19 wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 15:35:
So... someone "stabs a rat with a combat knife" in the game... and then proceeds to turn around and shoot someone in the face with their automatic weapon and they are concerned with the rat?

Congratulations, you just discovered PETA-LOGIC +250xp and a Discovery Badge

Peta would kill us all to stop Animal cruelty...

7. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 15:51 Angrius Maximis

PETA ruins everything for other animal lovers  

6. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 15:46 Cutter

I'm a PETA member. People for Eating Tasty Animals.

Heh, the other day I saw a "Go Vegan" ad where they had a picture of a dog and a pig and the caption reads "Why love one animal and eat another?" And I'm thinking, 'Does someone really need to explain why this is the case, not just with people but other animals as well?' Hey bud, the universe is a violent place and something always has to die so that something else can live. Sucks, huh? Get a fucking helmet.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

5. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 15:46 Rattlehead

My anatomy professor who is a large animal veterinarian says that PETA is batshit crazy. You know your cause has zero merit when veterinarians start calling you crazy. Then she goes on to to say PETA stands for "people eating tasty animals." She is fucking hilarious!  

4. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 15:43 WoodroweBones19

I just realized what part they are talking about. I though they were maybe talking about people running around all crazed and rampantly stabbing rats... but they are refering to a sequence during the campaign where you are attempting to hide from the enemy by crawling through a broken sewer pipe and you run into a rat that starts making a bunch of noise (you dont actually control your player during this sequence) and you kill it. If anything I think PETA should apologize to the players for almost getting their imaginary video-game character killed  

3. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 15:41 Mashiki Amiketo

WoodroweBones19 wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 15:35:
So... someone "stabs a rat with a combat knife" in the game... and then proceeds to turn around and shoot someone in the face with their automatic weapon and they are concerned with the rat?
You're surprised at this or something? PETA believes that animals should have more rights than people. But kill more animals than they save. Plus they're flaming hypocrites.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo